News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Inquisitor as allies - HQ options  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
Inquisitor as allies - HQ options
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:58:09 AM »
I'm thinking about taking an Inquisitor as the HQ for an allied attachment.

I have the GK codex and I've bumbled through it but I know there are some pretty good GK players here and wanted to ask their sage advice.
I want an Inquisitor (fluff purposes) for Space Marine Hero assassintion pruposes. Think Inquisitor Tyrus from the Eiesenhorn Trilogy.

What the best way to about this? I'm open to all suggestions so long as it involves a high powered Inquisitor.

As an aside and if we start talking along the lines of retinues, I have a penchant for Arco-flaggelants and Death Cult Assassins.

Cheers in advance
Arq.

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
Re: Inquisitor as allies - HQ options
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:32:20 AM »
 What else do you plan on taking in the GK attachment? Who are they going to ally with? What kind of points range are you thinking about?
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »
If you're not interested in using Grey Knights then you're pretty much stuck with Inquisitor Coteaz, as hes the only way to have troops that aren't space marines.

Plus it means you can have all the fun stuff from the Inquisitors retinue and still have an allied elite choice, like an assassin if you like.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »
Troops wise I was going for a strike squad, probably the usual 10 man with 2 x Psycannons and psybolt ammo. But this could get ewxpensive so I'm not stuck on this idea.

Points wise I think I'm looking 500 max to ally with 1500 points of Space Marines (of any persuasion)

So far I'm thinink either Ordo Malleus possibly with a Daemonblade, Terminator armour, Psybolt Ammo Psycannon and making him a psyker.
Then surround him with ablative arco-flagelent wounds

I also want an assassin, I'm thinking with Vindicare or Callidus...

checking points now...

Edit 2: Not entirely sure If I can take a Daemonblade and Terminator armour. No mention in the FAQ. Anyone have a clue?

Edit 3: Bot of a one way conversation this at the moement,

So I've come up with 500 points I thikn could work...

HQ   
Inquisitor
Daemonblade, Terminator Armour, Psycannon

Henchmen
4 x Arco-flagellents
3 x Death Cultists
1 x Crusader

Elites   
    Assassin

Troops   
Strike squad (5), Psycannon, Psybolt ammo

490 points

What do you think.....?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:32:45 PM by Arquarian »

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »
If you want a hard combat inquisitor then Ordo Malleus is really the only way to go as you get access to terminator armour.

With that in mind I think the psycannon is a must as is psyker, if you've got the teminaotr armour then I don't think you can have a daemon weapon as you don't have any of the weapons to trade in for it :( On the plus side you do have a memesis daemon hammer with which to smite your enemies  :D
Also Empyrean brain mines can be a good option to give you an edge in combat, they combo fantastically with psyk-out grenades against psykers.

Other than that coteaz is very good, in fact super good, for his points and is decent in combat. A xenos inquisitor can take psychotroke grenades which are pretty broken and will win you many combats but the inquisitor is a little squishy. Valeria can do some damage but is pretty pricey.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »
if you've got the teminaotr armour then I don't think you can have a daemon weapon as you don't have any of the weapons to trade in for it :(

I was afraid this may be the case. (can I not trade in the force weapon?  :-\ )

Problem I see with the daemon hammer is that striking last and being T3 is not a good combo.

If I can't take the daemonblade then I'll go force sword and psyker (hammerhand) route
OR
Power armour, daemonblade and take a couple of bodyguard crusaders.

I suppose at the very least I get to model 2 Inquisitors, One Puritan one radical  8)

How are the rest of my choices looking?

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:05:06 PM »
If you're not interested in using Grey Knights then you're pretty much stuck with Inquisitor Coteaz, as hes the only way to have troops that aren't space marines.

Plus it means you can have all the fun stuff from the Inquisitors retinue and still have an allied elite choice, like an assassin if you like.

Actually as long as you don't takw Coteaz the Henchmen don't occupy an FOC slot. This will allow you two elites choices for an allied GK force technicaly(one normal and one henchman).

You can upgrade the pistol or chainsword before taking TDA and still keep it. Much in the same way a Nob can upgrade to a PK/Big Choppa before a Boyz mob exchanges it's weapons for shootas (Ork FAQ pg.6)

How about this?....

125- OM Inq. w/ Daemonblade, TDA, psycannon, PML1(divination is awsome btw)

240- SSx 10 w/ 2x PC, Psybolt ammo
14X- Vindicare

Total = 510

It's 10pts over your ideal, but you have a tough unit that can all DS while laying down impressive fire power and hold it's own in combat w/ two characters for challenges. Also you get the trigger happy Vindicare that everyone loves.

"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:22:37 PM »
Smashing!
Daemonblade and Terminator armour game on!

Without the Force weapon, Not sure being a psyker is a necessity.
I like the idea of a warband of Death cultists and Arco-Flagelants.

If my Inquisitor  doesn't kill the Enemy Warlord then I'll tarpit his ass to death  8) [size=78%] ...[/size]

[size=78%]As for the my assassin of choice... we'll see how it goes. [/size]

[size=78%]Many thanks for your help guys[/size]

[size=78%]Arq.[/size]

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
 He still has the DH as it comes with purchasing the TDA gwt up. Also, the Daemonblade can be a force weapon if you roll lucky. Let me know if you need an Inq. in TDA w/ PC etc., I have about a half-dozen of the original pewter models I might trade/sell or can offer advice on how to model one.

Offline Holier than thou

• Praise the Emperor (or he'll kick your *%#).
  • Armies: Grey Knights (since 2006, not a band-wagon jumper)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 04:51:52 AM »
I might be reading this wrong but I can't see how you can have both a Daemonblade and Terminator Armour.

To take a Daemonblade you must trade in your Bolt Pistol and/or your Chainsword, to get the Terminator Armour you must trade in the Bolt Pistol AND the Chainsword, if you have already got rid of one for the Daemonblade then you can't get Terminator Armour as you no longer have the required items to trade.

Am I missing something?

Repent and ye shall be forgiven.
Sin again and, verily, I shall bring the hurt!

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 06:11:22 AM »
I fear this is the case. However I believe (or would like to believe) MortVader's logic. Otherwise I'll just have to have 2 Crusaders flanking My Inquisitor at all times for Storm Shield look out sir! purposes.

Anyway I've e-mailed GW on the matter. I'll also ask the face book dispora

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 02:44:35 AM »
 I'd disagree with myself if it said 'may instead take...' or 'alternatively...', etc. Ofcourse I have been wrong before as Arquarian knows. I will have to unpack the rest of my codexes and look at other armies for more references.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »
I've had a reply from GW and basically by RAW its not allowed due to how the codex is written.

The guys has passed my query to the games developers for possible inclusion into the next FAQ, if they think it necessary

I'm going to model the death cultists from Dark Eldar Wyches as I don't like the current models. As for the Acro Flagelants I'm stilldebating weather to kit bash some wracks...

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »
 I have actually gotten three different answers before on the same question(old warptime) so I don't trust em until I see it in print. I will concede though, but am keeping my models the same as they look better with wicked blades ;D .

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 06:09:25 AM »
I'm not taking what the guy said as definitive and I think I'll look into modelling a couple of Inquisitors in good time.
For now though I'm going with Daemon blade and Terminator armour + wrist mounted Psycannon.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
Note: I don't have any experience with the following allies option.

I have been thinking of adding Allies to my SMurfs.

Inquisitor, T. Armor, PsyCannon, Lvl1 Psyker.
10 Grey Knight Terminators, 2 PsyCannons, PsyAmmo.
580 points.

It's pretty pricey, but it's very flexible.  I haven't nailed down what combo of Weapons on the Terminators, but they are primarily there to pew pew and counter attack for my biker army.

Inquisitor goes for Divination for the re-rolls to hit producing 12 rending shots from the terminators, before all the str 5 stormbolter shots.
Then my bikers can focus on exclusively bringing the plasma/melta

Though I'm still debating if the huge chunk in points is eating too much out of the main force, esp. at 1500... which is yes, but I'm teetering on the edge of just accepting the coolness and rolling with it.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Colonel Twisting Shadow

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I was told to get a life; so I bought more figs...
  • Armies: What don't I play?
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 07:54:26 PM »
When taking GK as allies; I like Coteaz, pretty much every time.  Even if you don't take henchmen, 2 powers per turn in 6th is just ludicrous.  6th also near fixes his lack of invulnerable save.  Plus you get the reroll on stealing the initiative, is a nice little perk*

He's a great buff to a big mob of GKSS/TAGK, assuming you bought PBA; my default spells being prescience/shriek (hoping for misfortune/prescience, or prescience/hallucination or invisibilty).  Plus, being the second character in the squad means he's swinging that NDH at rank and file.  He makes a mess out of multiple wound death squads too (nobz/pallies).

*fun fact, your chance to go first is .666 repeating...not quite a holy number.
Hey! I know!  Let's focus on building army lists, instead of silly custom titles and command structures, yeah?

From the days of the doctorines.
RIP-Goyder, Koonitz, and Jenkins.  Honour them.

Armies:
ORDER: Elysians 2k5, Armored battlegroup 2k5, Infantry Guard 2k, Dark Angles 4k5, Grey Knights 2k
DISORDER: Chaos 3k, Daemons 2k Dark Eldar 2k5, Nids 2k, Orks 2k5
I'm both proud and ashamed of those numbers...