News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is it worth the points?  (Read 444 times)

Offline Ragnar.Blackmane

• Just bust a move
Is it worth the points?
« on: August 28, 2007, 08:34:46 AM »
What are your opinions-

Are gun drones useful in Fire Warrior squads? 1 Gun drone = 1 Fire Warrior in price, so for that low chance of a pin your are effectively removing a decent percent of fire power from your squad. Personally, I thought about this and came to the conclusion, if I planned on using my Fire Warrior squad in a Devil Fish, along with upgrading a few Fire warriors to have carbines, I found no use for them. If you have the squad sitting in the back, the gun drone wont get action until round 3-6, where it might be in danger of close combat with fast infantry, or shot at and used in place of a Fire Warriors death by long range. But if they cost the same price (10 pts) why not trade a drone out for an extra warrior. Wouldn't it be smarter (if you had the room) to place all your drones in other squads that would need them, then use the remaining in a Drone Squad.

And about Stealth Suits with fusion blasters. I have 2x6 squads Stealth Suits w/ 2 gun drone / 2 fusion blasters. Those burst cannons are nice, but if they run into vehicle trouble it might be over, wasting all of your points to something so foolish. Yet, if you don't kill your target (if he's within 12 inches) and your not in cover... the squad might be done anyways. I like the fire power, but which would be the better risk to take?

And Crisis suits. Would you equip them with 1 weapon. a shield gen, and a drone controller w/ 2 gun drones. So that the squad has 6 drones, and 3 main weapons. Or 2 weapons, and a multi-tracker so that thje squad has 6 main weapons? I can't decide lol, because if the suits get charged or shot at then they might be in trouble. It's just that one is a defensive tactic and the other is offensive.

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
Re: Is it worth the points?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 08:58:10 AM »
In Fire Warrior squads, they’d have their place in carbine squads. For the same price, you get 1/9 better chance to hit, and a higher I in case something goes bad. On the rare occasions that your Shas’ui gets sniped out of the team, you end up loosing 3 models, but that wouldn’t happen that often. For mechanised squads, use the Devilfish’s free Gun Drones :P

As for anti-tank Stealths, first I’d recommend taking anti-tank elsewhere, and if you’re set on them, take them in smaller squads. For a “just in case” thing, they cost a minimum of 132 points for all 4, that’s a 12 man Fire Warrior squad with a Shas’ui with 2 points left over. The better “risk” would be running a focused Stealth squad, gearing them for anti-infantry duty, and leaving anti-tank for anti-tank units. As for carbines in anti-infantry Stealths, for 1/3 the price you get 1/3 the firepower, 1 more wound, 1 more model, and a slightly better chance to hit plus the bonus chance of pinning at the same range. But, you wouldn’t want to make the squad too big or they’d be hard to hide.

As for Crisis Suits, here comes the issue of mixed toughness. If you want to defend Crisis Suits, then get Shield Drones. And 6 Gun Drones plus 3 shield generators on a squad that can JSJ, kinda overboard don’t you think? 150 points, 5 man Stealth team. If you’re up close where the shield generator would kick in, then use monat teams, accept that they will die, and equip them to effectively knock out their target (i.e. twin-link the weapon) while giving as little VP as possible to your opponent.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 09:08:40 AM »
on gun drones in fire teams:

gun drones actually stand a better chance of hitting than fire warriors... so, if you are after the extended range and chance for pinning then there is a great case for them. (plus, its a good way to boost teams when you have no more fire warrior models!)

the additional initiative is always worth remembering - and can often take your opponent by surprise too.

if you are only after rifles in your fire teams then there is not as much place for carbine equipped drones.

on anti tank stealths:

taking a fusion gun in your stealths can be a good idea if you are short on anti tank elsewhere. if you decide to do this then you must ensure to maximise your potential with them:

the fusion gun should really be given to the team leader, so that he can also be given a hard wired target lock. if i do this i prefer to run teams of 5. so that the rest of the team can dish out enough firepower against infantry whilst the team leader strikes at tanks.

the truth is though, that he still only gets a 50% hit ratio... so its not the most effective method. you can offset this by handing hi a targeting array, but that means the rest of the team has to be upgraded with a system too, which just makes things more expensive.

Offline Pvt. Dancer

• Dropped at the first sign of trouble
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 11:22:32 AM »
I personally don't like fusion blasters on stealth suits, puts them too close to the enemy.

Gun Drones I only use when attached to vihicles or when they're an independent drone squad.

I always give a XV suit 2 weapons, but that's personal choice really...

Plus, it all comes down to what kind of opponents you're fighting...