News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 900 Point 6th Ed. Test List  (Read 1763 times)

Offline silverspindle

900 Point 6th Ed. Test List
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
Playing a random fight this Wednesday, most likely against MEQ, small points value 'cos I'm not too used to 6th yet.

Big Mek, Kustom Force Field /// 85

9 Tankbustas /// 13*

Deff Dread, Skorcha, Skorcha /// 85
30 Shoota Boyz, 3 Big Shootas, Nob, Big Choppa, Bosspole /// 215
20 Shoota Boyz, 2 Big Shootas, Nob, Big Choppa, Bosspole /// 150

Battlewagon, 4 Big Shootas, RPJ /// 115
Battlewagon, 4 Big Shootas, RPJ /// 115

/// 900

The idea is to move the whole army as a rolling mass, the 30 boy squad on foot will likely take a pounding but if I position well and my rolls to run aren't awful I should be able to keep everything in range of the KFF for quite a few turns.

Fliers aren't worrying me too much because the only thing I will possibly face is a storm raven which is 1/4 of our points allowance and if it drops off troops I can probably kill them and mb have a crack at it while it hovers.

My concerns are that the force is not quite balanced, there's a decent mechanised element but 60 orks isn't a great deal of horde power. I'm not sure if I could swap the tankbustas for more shoota boyz, I just feel vulnerable without any ranged high strength weapons. Lootas are a great unit and I've tried to think about how to include them but I don't think they fit the rolling KFF army style because I don't trust d3 snapshots. Also I don't know if the Deff Dread fits but I like the price tag, scoring status and redundancy with battlewagon side-armour.

Any ideas or suggestions for making hybrid lists at low points levels would be greatly appreciated.

PS Am I dumb for not finding the points for any Deff Rollas?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:27:31 PM by silverspindle »

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
Re: 900 Point 6th Ed. Test List
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »
My concerns are that the force is not quite balanced, there's a decent mechanised element but 60 orks isn't a great deal of horde power. I'm not sure if I could swap the tankbustas for more shoota boyz, I just feel vulnerable without any ranged high strength weapons. Lootas are a great unit and I've tried to think about how to include them but I don't think they fit the rolling KFF army style because I don't trust d3 snapshots. Also I don't know if the Deff Dread fits but I like the price tag, scoring status and redundancy with battlewagon side-armour.

Vehicles aren't scoring, so even a Troops deff dredd won't be scoring, I'm afraid. If you wanted to take Lootas, put them in one of the BWs, then they won't have to snapshot. At the points, I think 2 footslogging mobs of (shoota?) boyz will be very efficient, supported by some fire support in BWs - lootas and tankbustas are both fine for this.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »
You list is going to do great...  I don't see anything extra to cut...  You have AT covered, a lot of boyz, and some serious dakka with the wagons and shoota boyz...

I'm eager to see how the battle turns out...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline silverspindle

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 05:11:03 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Adamscurr, the game has been postponed but I'll try to take a few notes when it happens and let you guys know how it unfolds.

Vehicles aren't scoring, so even a Troops deff dredd won't be scoring, I'm afraid.

Excellent point, I had forgotten this. Would I be correct in saying that my BWs will score in a 'big guns never tire' mission though? It does diminish the Deff Dreads appeal a bit. I like it for the strength 10 and the armour redundancy but I think I might be served better by more boyz (scoring) and a deff-roller (s10).

For the price of the dread I can just about get a deffroller and have 2 mobs of 20 shoota boyz on foot instead of one of 30.

What think?

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »
You have found the best Ork forum on the WWW.
I invite you to join the Waagh. Just go to THIS LINK and post a reply that you would like to join. Read the first page and you will see the benefits of becoming an ork.

Now, on to your list.

Looks like a good list so far, definitely work in progress. I would drop the dread and add a death roller to the BWs and beef up the tank bustas. Take the nob with a boss pole, but let him keep his rockit launcha. 15 shots, will kill most everything in this game.

In the last two games my tank busta boys were my anti-aircraft, so far they have shot down three DE bombers and two of the necron bombers. Yes you are firing snap shot, but with 15 shots you are going to roll sixes, my average was four sixes, sometimes more but never less than four. And this usually led to planes blowing up in mid air; Good Stuff!

Something you may want to consider for the future is to split your 30 boy squad into 12 boys each, and putting them into trucks. They can still snap fire moving the full 13, with a minimal loss to their BS. Makes a whole new meaning to drive by shooting  ;D

When you get a plane (and you will) I recommend the burna bomba, I have had some great success with mine, and he has actually survived over half his battles. While my dakka jet gets shot down every game. I find my dakka jet to be like an overpriced green baron. You know, show up, kill something, die. I also recommend rockit buggies, a squadron of three rockit buggies costs the same as a dakka jet with extra shoota, but twin link rockits are starting to become valuable again, so I am dropping my dakka jet for rockit buggies, and will use the jet only in larger games where I can take two force orgs.

Just in case you haven't noticed I am a speed freak, a dedicated member of the Kult of Speed, and lover of red paint. I suggest that since you have already started to succumb to the green side, you might as well go in with both feet and become a speed freak as well. The joys of going fast, and red paint are just too numerous to mention here.
Again, I invite you to join the Waagh. Just go to THIS LINK and post that you would like to join the Way of The Waagh.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:39:55 AM »
Keep the dredd; they would count as scoring units in Big Guns Never Tire...they cause nothing but trouble in a smaller point game, as your opponent probably won't field anything that can take easily.  I always use one, and it never ceases to amaze me how a dread can become nothing short of a moble gun magnet.  While it's being targeted, your more fragile units aren't, therefore, they are surviving enough to seize objectives, blast an opponent into oblivion, or race around the board with reckless abandon.
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »
Keep the dredd; they would count as scoring units in Big Guns Never Tire...

Umm, actually, I'm not sure they do - in Big Guns Never Tire vehicles count as long as they are also heavy support. Taking a dredd as troops might just except it from scoring in this case. In this list, there's space to simply take it as Heavy support, of course, but many more points and you'll be hunting for Heavy slots  :)

Don't get me wrong, I like dreads, although they're not quite the powerhouses they were in 5th. I think dropping the dredd in favour of a deff rolla and more boyz is probably more effective in the long run, especially as the dread is a bit on his own in the list.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:36:14 PM by Baron Wastelands »

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »
Baron:  You are probably right; it doesn't cost any more points to have a dread in a heavy slot, just a matter of placement. 

Respectfully, I still have faith in the power of a dread in a low point game.  I like the idea of independent units, especially if the unit is kitted out to be anti-personnel (skorchas).  Plus, get him into close combat, and he's literally a monster as most units will not be able to scratch him.

Of course, you can scrap him, use the points for deff rollas, but you still run into the problem of hull points and glancing hits and your points don't make it across the board.  You also face this with the dread, hull points are hull points and hits are hits.  Having never used deff rollas, I cannot honestly comment on them. 
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?