News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: House Ulthran House Guard [Pic HEAVY]  (Read 34055 times)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

Re: House Ulthran House Guard [Pic HEAVY]
« Reply #20 on: February 8, 2010, 04:44:02 PM »
Really nice to see some more of your stuff...

Thanks for sharing, and might I ask for some more WIP pics on you r next project, as I think that your style would really help show how to highlight black effectively. And that would help many people  out there.

Cheers

I'll try to do that when I get to painting next. The current project is essentially to paint up the models that I've been converting as shown in this log, so it'll be models that I'm really careful with. It would be nice to be able to help people.

2nd place - 40kO painting competition expert category April 2005
1st Place - 40kO converting competition beginner category June 2005

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 04:29:59 AM »
Your work truly inspires me lol. It's rare to find people who convert their farseers and warlocks, I've already converted several of mine, but since my Eldar army will get bigger int he future I'll be adding even more warlocks and farseers and I already got several cool ideas from this thread.

If you don't mind a little criticism: you put so much work in the modelling, but your painting is a bit too simple. Well it may be a choice ,to keep it simple, but it's a bit sad to see a unique converted model painted so simple.

Still, your army is very awesome!
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 08:24:56 AM »
Your work truly inspires me lol. It's rare to find people who convert their farseers and warlocks, I've already converted several of mine, but since my Eldar army will get bigger int he future I'll be adding even more warlocks and farseers and I already got several cool ideas from this thread.

If you don't mind a little criticism: you put so much work in the modelling, but your painting is a bit too simple. Well it may be a choice ,to keep it simple, but it's a bit sad to see a unique converted model painted so simple.

Still, your army is very awesome!

I never ming criticism, if I did I'd never get better ;) Just to make sure that I understand you, do mean simple as in few colours or as in little freehand? I like to keep the colourscheme to three colours that complement and contrast well, the fur cloaks will be in brown, but I try to avoid that kind of deviation. On the freehanding, I could easily paint more runes on them, BUT I fear that it'd clutter the model too much. I might go for a bit more patterns and such, but I'm more of runes kinda guy. Also, I did spend a lot of time in getting the black right, so I don't want to paint it over too much.

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 09:46:40 AM »
Well it's not the point the make you mad or anything (I know from  experince that not everyone welcomes critisism like you do), but I think you could do s slightly better job on both shading and highlighting. Your black and your white are a bit too simple, not enough shading on the white and not enough color contrast/blending on the black.
Just compare your guys with GW ulthwe models and you'll see what I mean.

over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 03:29:00 AM »
Right. I do paint a bit differently than the GW-stuff, I tend to go for a more muted look on my black. I am aware of the fact that my bone i quite plain, and I'll try to work on that. Thanks again!

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #25 on: June 7, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
Reviving this log again... I didn't have more time in the months since, mainly due to personal issues, which has been settled. Now I just have the back-log of school-work that I couldn't summon the energy to do, training and my summer job to think about. Should be much easier as it was mainly a mental tiredness.

Here's the stuff I've got lined up, and the work that I've done so far. The Tale got postponed, as most of us are students and it's been busy for all of us. We may do a Tale-log here when we get to it, probably August as it stands.

The things I've got prepared for my list:

Avenger "trees", will be painting arms and helmets separately:

Big bad Maugan Ra:

I finished my "naginata" Warlock, I ended up using a hand from the High Elf Archers-kit:

The painting I've done. Experiment with masking tape:

Something completely different, Krüger the Stormwrath, from Hordes. Just painting him for fun in colours I usually don't work with for fun and trying out a wet palette:

And work space pic, I cleaned up my apartment yesterday and straightened up this too:

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #26 on: June 7, 2010, 12:18:55 PM »
Wow, that was quite the break....

Anyway, nice to see you returned and back to some paint... I noticed some "Roman" Style shields in there (for the DA ?)...

Anyway, I would appreciate a few more timely updates as you go with this, and please, show us the step by step too if you like.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #27 on: June 7, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »
Wow, that was quite the break....

Anyway, nice to see you returned and back to some paint... I noticed some "Roman" Style shields in there (for the DA ?)...

Anyway, I would appreciate a few more timely updates as you go with this, and please, show us the step by step too if you like.

Cheers

Quite the break yeah... Much too long really, but as I said, mainly a mental tiredness, I've been down for most of the time and haven't done anything useful/creative since unfortunately...

The shields are indeed for the Dire Avengers. Spartan-styled and 300-inspired as per my two other DA-squads. These will be a bit different though, watch this space ;)

I'll try to do some step-by-steps on the black as you requested back then, and a bit on the other colours as well.

Cheers!

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #28 on: June 7, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »
ahah sweet even more warlocks, I'm glad to see you're back I almost forgot about you. I hope your next guys will have a slightly better bone color :p

But like moc said, it was cooler when you showed how to did your conversion step by step, you got lots of new cool conversions and we all feel like we missed something. At least we know you were busy converting new models.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #29 on: June 7, 2010, 05:17:19 PM »
ahah sweet even more warlocks, I'm glad to see you're back I almost forgot about you. I hope your next guys will have a slightly better bone color :p

But like moc said, it was cooler when you showed how to did your conversion step by step, you got lots of new cool conversions and we all feel like we missed something. At least we know you were busy converting new models.

Well, there's only that one warlock since before, and that one is among the WIP-pics earlier in the thread, all I've done in the last few months is add a hand to it. I'm currently thinking about painting him next with step-by-steps to demonstrate the black, and I'll be doing a more shaded bone ;)

I've done a little bit of painting tonight, on the Krüger-model:

The plan is for the boots, gloves and belt to be brown, with the straps and waist-girth in red. I haven't quite decided on the spear yet, I'm thinking brown with the wrappings in red and I might try NMM-steel for the tips.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #30 on: June 9, 2010, 05:28:18 AM »
Well, I went ahead and painted some more on Krüger, did the reds, browns, face and gold. What remains now is the speartips and some minor clean-up on the whites. Plus the base... Don't really have a plan for the base as he's not a part of my army.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #31 on: June 9, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
Sorry for multi-posting guys... But I've painted the black for Dire Avenger test-model and though I should present the step-by-step in its own post.

DarkstormUlthwé's guide to painting black armour:

1. First paint all areas that are to be black with Chaos black:

2. Then add some Codex Grey to the black and use this mix to highlight the armourplates and raised areas:

3. Add more Codex Grey to the mix and build up the highlights more, focusing on the hardest edges and most raised areas:

4. Repeat step 3 with ever more Codex Grey and smaller highlights, narrowing the focus even more on the hardest edges.

5. Add a final highlight of pure Codex Grey to extreme edges.

And there you have it. I'll do the same walk-through when I get to the bone and the red on him later. If you hadn't noticed, he's slightly converted. On this squad I've cut and repositioned the legs closer to each other to give a more arrogant/regal/relaxed look. Tell me what you think. I might update the guide for the black later, as I feel that I should've had a couple more, darker, layers in the build-up.

UPDATE: TV deciding to show Midsomer Murders followed by Football A-Z with John Cleese gave me a few hours to paint. Decided to do a step-by-step on the bone. Note that I did try out a new approach to the bone this time around. I very pleased with how it turned out. The kharandhil, is this something in line with what you had in mind?

1. Basecoat the areas that are to be bone with Vomit Brown:

2. Apply a wash of Gryphonne Sepia in the recesses and touch up with Vomit Brown where necessary.

3. Mix some Bleached Bone with Vomit Brown (about 1/3) and paint over most of the previous layer, showing some of the Vomit Brown closest to the Sepia wash.

4. Add more Bleached Bone to the mix (about 2/1 Bone/Brown) and continue building up the colour as in step 3.

5. Step 5 is pure Bleached Bone applied like the previous coats.

6. Add a little Skull White to the Bleached Bone and lightly feather the paint on towards the areas which will receive most light.

7. Add a little more Skull White to the mix and repeat step 6, with smaller highlights.

My apologies for the crappy pictures, light wasn't the best last night and the lamp hit a bit harshly. The last pic is taken just a few minutes ago i better, natural light and shows the gradients much better.

DISCLAIMER: I use Vallejo Paints, but used the GW-name for them for the ease of any one wanting to use this guide.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:21:34 AM by DarkstormUlthwe »

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 07:08:24 AM »
awesome looking Eldar DarkstormUlthwe.
where did you get the spear on the "naginata" Warlock? it looks epic =)

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 10:24:47 AM »
I love the way your doing the Wraith bone effect... simple and easy overall and certainly something that most of us can achieve...

I have to ask though.... are you going to add some unit colour to those shields, as they are looking good; but good and plain also....

Cheers

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 12:50:05 PM »
awesome looking Eldar DarkstormUlthwe.
where did you get the spear on the "naginata" Warlock? it looks epic =)

Thanks :) The "naginata" is a spear arm from the High Elf Mage plastic kit, the back tip is from the Dire Avengers accessory-belts and the spearhead is a sword from the High Elf Archers kit. I like the look of it too :)

I love the way your doing the Wraith bone effect... simple and easy overall and certainly something that most of us can achieve...

I have to ask though.... are you going to add some unit colour to those shields, as they are looking good; but good and plain also....

Cheers
Thanks:) It's easy enough, you just need to keep the focus up and pay attention to detail. This is actually a test of a new bone effect, and I think it looks a lot better than my previous one. I won't be repainting the entire army again though...

The shields will remain as they are. At least that's the plan. They are a bit plain, and not as fancy as my other two squads' shields that are metallic but I think they look good. It will be better when the sashes and gems are painted red, as the entire model is a bit mono-chromatic right now.

My friends and I had a playing session on Saturday, playing the entire day. I got three games in, first 2000pts vs. Deathwing in Anihilation which I won 5-1 I think. A bit uneven as I tested my planned tournament-list, full mech - wonder twin council of doom and my friend had a more casual list. The second game I played the same list, with an ally with 1000pts of chaos against my brother's 2k Eldar and a friends 1k foot IG, capture and control which we won by holding our own objective and contesting theirs, another turn and we'd have held theirs too. The third game was me and another friend with 1500pts of Eldar each against 1500pts Deathwing and 1500pts Marines. Again, annihilation, and we won big. Something in the line of 15-4, I don't know for certain. The first time I tried Fire Prisms, and I already love them. Very effective and the new model (which I just bought, and put together last week) is fantastic! In the last game I also tried the new Night Spinner (I magnetized the weapons), which was a very pleasant acquaintance. We had two on the table and in conjunction with Doom really gave the Terminators trouble. I'll take some pictures of the Prism/Spinner later, I did some minor conversion work on the Falcon-chassis, focusing on enhancing the sleek, streamlined shape of it, before priming it so it'll be visible. I'll try and get some good pics of the magnetized weapons too.

Cheers!

Offline -Dark Fire-

• Previously Spear of Khaine
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
This is excellent, well-balanced, clean and co-ordinated work.

I love the conversions and that crisp painting style.

I'll cetainly be keeping up to date with your projects.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 02:26:19 PM by -Dark Fire- »
'There is no art more beautiful and diverse as the art of death.'

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 05:04:07 PM »
Right, as I said, pictures of my Prism/Spinner will be up:

Turret:

The interchangeability made possible by these magnets:

Chin-mounted weapon is also interchangeable,  these pics are bit hard to see, but there's a magnet pushed into the hole in the mounting-piece and thin magnets glued to the sides of the weapons:

I've done some modifications to the hull as well, I cut/filed away the small fins that stuck upwards, cut away the control-panels(?) around the cockpit and the rear top and filled this in with Green Stuff. I also filled in three small holes at the sides of the engines and the shallow indentation above the engine. I lot of inspiration for this is from ARHicks, google him, it's very interesting.

I am considering filling the rectangular hole above the engines, but I'm uncertain, what do you guys think?

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 07:27:18 AM »
I like the Magnet idea and I am actually doing the same thing with my Night Spinner/Prism... (Great minds must think alike, or fools seldom differ)....

In regard to the Green stuff work, I do like it... and I might be stealing that idea; but I have some comments.
1... Green stuff is easier to file, cut, work, etc when its still soft... so I suggest more knife work while its not hard to save on a lot of filing etc... and I use a piece of plastic card to re-mold the recesses of armour when I do it, as its the same thickness as the original recess, and you can keep it straight, or curve it as you need to... a Half circle works really well, use the curved edge and roll it into prolonged recess areas, or use the corner to define the end point, etc... way easier and faster than a knife, tool.

2... You forgot to do the Control panel up on the turret itself (do that as it looks like crap incomparison now).

3... I would fill in the rectangles over the engines too; but I would give them some deffinition such as the recess lines. Maybe make it look like a small armour plate that is over the engine itself by recessing the front edge of the rectangle and then drawing the recess back to the end of the hull intesf on both sides of the rectangle... Maybe add a gem in that area as well.

4... Why is the clear plastic already in place ? I am not a fan of painting the clear parts as I like to see drivers etc... but if you have a nice glass effect then reveal it please... I have done this on second hand figures; but avoid it in most cases.

Cheers...

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 10:55:28 AM »
I like the Magnet idea and I am actually doing the same thing with my Night Spinner/Prism... (Great minds must think alike, or fools seldom differ)....

In regard to the Green stuff work, I do like it... and I might be stealing that idea; but I have some comments.
1... Green stuff is easier to file, cut, work, etc when its still soft... so I suggest more knife work while its not hard to save on a lot of filing etc... and I use a piece of plastic card to re-mold the recesses of armour when I do it, as its the same thickness as the original recess, and you can keep it straight, or curve it as you need to... a Half circle works really well, use the curved edge and roll it into prolonged recess areas, or use the corner to define the end point, etc... way easier and faster than a knife, tool.

2... You forgot to do the Control panel up on the turret itself (do that as it looks like crap incomparison now).

3... I would fill in the rectangles over the engines too; but I would give them some deffinition such as the recess lines. Maybe make it look like a small armour plate that is over the engine itself by recessing the front edge of the rectangle and then drawing the recess back to the end of the hull intesf on both sides of the rectangle... Maybe add a gem in that area as well.

4... Why is the clear plastic already in place ? I am not a fan of painting the clear parts as I like to see drivers etc... but if you have a nice glass effect then reveal it please... I have done this on second hand figures; but avoid it in most cases.

Cheers...
I'm not sure that I would call myself a great mind :P But I'm no fool either;)

1. Thank you for that advice! Looks like a really great idea, compared to my, less than optimal, work.

2. I did leave it as it is as I need to think a bit about how to best to that as it is very different from the control panel on Falcon. It's much shallower, and the plastic is of a different (much better) quality. I kinda forgot about it, but I'll get to it.

3. I think I understand what you mean, and it sounds like a good idea. A small plate there with a gem on it should look nice. Though maybe the gem would break up the streamlining there, I'll have to see how it looks after I fill in the rectangle.

4. I really don't like the pilots. The sculpts clash with the rest of the Eldar aesthetic IMO, too much 80-s punk-gang and too little futuristic ancient race with organic, streamlined looks. I've got a decent effect on my other painted canopies, but I'll try out a different one for this one and the Serpent. Hopefully I'll be nice. As for the crystals, I was always going to paint them.

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 03:25:24 PM »
Indeed, it's best to do all the work when your greenstuff is soft. there are other type of *insert color* stuff , like green stuff. I also use grey stuff, it becomes solid very fast and it's as hard at stone when dry, so great to file, but same applies, it' best to do all the work before, since afterwards it's just so hard.

It's possible to mix up different stuff to get hard soft materials.

I like moc support the leaving transparent parts unpainted, it's cool to see the pilot inside. When you paint it ,thne there's no way or need to paint the pilot anymore.

You have to leave it for the end or be very careful as you don't want it to get stained by accident.

As for the magnets, I don't really like, I always think in apoc scale, so I'll want both skimmers. I've been working a lot this month, I'm seriously thinking about going to get 2 of these lovely skimmers.