News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Darky's Eldar.  (Read 3969 times)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

Darky's Eldar.
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:22:04 AM »
Right. Back when Apocalypse came out, I ordered the Cloudstrike Squadron and the Aspect Assault Wave, leaving me with a lot to paint and little time to do it. I've just finished the Fire Dragons and the Autarch. Currently working on a Falcon, I intend to have it done in time for my next playing session, which is preliminarily scheduled for next Friday. This project also involves stripping some of my older stuff which I'm far from happy with, and the Wraithlord I have been very slow in getting to work on. My plan after that is to systematically strip and repaint more of my older stuff.

The Priority list is not complete, I've ordered some stuff for my planned conversions of my Dire Avengers, and magnets for my tanks' weapons.

Current list of priority:
1. Finish Falcon
2. Finish my left over Banshee that I use to test out a new colour scheme for my ladies.
3. Pending.

Finished:
1. Autarch

2. Fire Dragons.

Right. This is a long term project as I have quite a bit to do in my studies (dissertation/thesis, not sure how it translates) and my training schedule. But I hope I'll get things done in a more even flow than in last year or two.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2008, 10:47:01 AM by DarkstormUltwe »

2nd place - 40kO painting competition expert category April 2005
1st Place - 40kO converting competition beginner category June 2005

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

Re: Darky's Eldar.
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2008, 10:45:54 AM »
Well, here's a pic-heavy update for you all...

First up, some better pics of the Autarch:

The Falcon:

The Wraithlord, slightly converted to bring his old ass into the new 'dex:

Changed the priority order, I've managed to wear out my good fine detail brush, so I started work on another Falcon instead of continuing on the Banshee test model.

WIP Falcon:

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #2 on: August 7, 2008, 06:02:41 PM »
Yay! Some more pictures! The first squad of Dire Avengers is finished, paint-wise. They will all carry a shield to further the 300-inspired theme. I have the shields, but they need some greenstuffing and battle-damage before I can paint them.

I'll try to finish up that second Falcon this weekend.

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 7, 2008, 06:07:49 PM »
Wow. Nicely done. I really like the Fire Dragons. They look really mean in those dark colors. Haha. What paints did you use? And is it the camera or do most things look kinda glossy?

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #4 on: August 8, 2008, 04:18:53 AM »
Wow. Nicely done. I really like the Fire Dragons. They look really mean in those dark colors. Haha. What paints did you use? And is it the camera or do most things look kinda glossy?

Thanks. The Dragons turned out well, I thoroughly dislike the GW scheme with insanely bright colours, plus, the black undersuit ties the Army together. I use Valejo Game Colour, very good paints. Only two paints for each colour, Black is Black with (codex) Gray mixed into it for highlights, Red is worked through Gory Red to Bloody Red, the Bronze is Brassy Brass and Bright Bronze. The only exception is the bone which uses Filthy Brown, Bonewhite and White.

Most of the stuff is a little glossy due to the varnish. It's not so bad IRL, as it's more of a satin effect which looks pretty nice on the vehicles.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:38:02 AM »
Right, finished up the Falcon I've been working on for a while. Missing the secondary weapon as I intend to magnetise it, but still uncertain on how to best accomplish that with the magnets I have.

Next in line is either a Wave Serpent or a Vyper, I'm still undecided, but leaning towards the Vyper.

Offline Dregs

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:18:49 AM »
Nicely done m8 yet again  :o
Cant w8 to see the Vyper  :)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 11:27:54 AM »
Nicely done m8 yet again  :o
Cant w8 to see the Vyper  :)

Thanks man:) You'll see them all IRL next weekend unless something drastic happens. Can't wait to play again :D

The work on the Vyper is coming along, I've only put down the base-coat, but I'll be sitting down with a friend and paint on Sunday so expect it to be finished by then, hopefully along with something else ;)

Offline Black Hawk

• Captain
  • "Men of Tanith! Do you want to live forever?"
  • Armies: IG, DH, HE, Gondor
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »
Those Dire Avengers look so cool. Like the gold and black paint scheme.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 03:37:44 AM »
Those Dire Avengers look so cool. Like the gold and black paint scheme.

Thanks :) It's actually bronze, not gold, but it's kinda hard to tell the difference on a photo. They should look better when I get their shields done, the colour balance should improve, now, the black is a bit dominant.

Offline Dregs

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
where are the updates ?_?
I demand update!  ;D

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 05:57:34 PM »
where are the updates ?_?
I demand update!  ;D

Ask and you shall receive. Might not be the best pics but the Vyper turned out pretty well.

Offline Dregs

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »
About bloody time!  ;D
But well worth the w8 good work :D

Offline Drong

• Newest
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »
Looking good Dark but you need to convert more, you're paint way too fast for me to keep up ;)

//Calle

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »
Looking good Dark but you need to convert more, you're paint way too fast for me to keep up ;)

//Calle

I do have a few conversions planned/started, but they are on individual infantry models and I've mainly been painting vehicles to get them done lately. Since Dregs has been yelling at me to paint my War Walker, that is probably next. After that I don't really know, I have a Wave Serpent, Wraithlord and some infantry that are catching my eye ;). We'll see when I get on to the converting again, that Reaper Exarch just need a few finishing touches before I can paint him.

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »
I don't know how you got your whites to look like ivory/cream, but this is a phenominal contrast with the jet black coloration.  Striking.
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 06:46:29 AM »
I don't know how you got your whites to look like ivory/cream, but this is a phenominal contrast with the jet black coloration.  Striking.

First of all, thanks :) The whites starts with an about even mix of Filthy Brown and Bonewhite (Vallejo Game Colour range, GW eqivs: Vomit Brown and Bleached Bone), which is followed by pure Bonewhite, which is then highlighted with a mix of Bonewhite and Skull White, slightly more Bonewhite in that mix. I might try out more layers in the future, but the three works pretty well imo.

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 11:26:47 AM »

First of all, thanks :) The whites starts with an about even mix of Filthy Brown and Bonewhite (Vallejo Game Colour range, GW eqivs: Vomit Brown and Bleached Bone), which is followed by pure Bonewhite, which is then highlighted with a mix of Bonewhite and Skull White, slightly more Bonewhite in that mix. I might try out more layers in the future, but the three works pretty well imo.

Wow, that's fantastic.  I will have to try your method myself in the near future.  It looks as if quite a few layers are needed, but the results are undeniably stunning.  Thanks again for the tips and also for the pics.
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #18 on: September 3, 2008, 08:05:14 AM »
Well it's time again... I decided to finish up the Avengers by adding their shields. If some cheesy jerk questions me, I'll just say that they represent that the Exarch has Defend ;)

Next up is probably my Rangers... And the converted Warlock and Reaper Exarch, just need to base them.

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #19 on: September 3, 2008, 09:55:26 AM »
Nice shields. They look great. good job.