News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: starting guard 750 points list. want advice on how to my expand army.  (Read 1103 times)

Offline darthava

Hello everyone, I have just started imperial guard and have bought a cadian battle force, 1 cadian with a plasma rifle and 1 with a melta gun. also have bought 3 heavy weapons teams which I still need to build(cant decide if I want 3 mortars as a support for my HQ command squad or another heavy weapons team in my 4 infrantry squad.)

Anyways heres the list I have bin using the first 3 games I played, since I lost 2 games and had 1 draw I think it needs some work.

750 imperial guard starting army

HQ

command squad
heroic senior officer
2 veterans(1medic and 1standard bearer
1 guardsmen with meltagun
and 1 voxcaster

total = 107 points

Troops
 troops unit one.

1 command platoon
Junior officer vox caster grenade launcher

total = 53 points

squad one
9 guardsmen and one sargeant. grenade launcher and a heavy weapons platform lasscannon.
 vox caster
squad 2.
is exactly the same as squad one detailed above. 93 points each.

troops unit 2

1 command platoon exactly as the one from troops choice one. 53 points.

squad 1
9 guardsmen 1 sargeant, grenade launcher and heavy weapon autocannon and vox caster
total 88

squad 2
9 guardsmen 1 sargeant, grenade launcher and vox caster
total 73

Heavy support

Leman russ battle tank
hull mounted lasscannon and heavy bolter's in the side sponsons.

total 165 points.

total army value:  725

I would like some opinions on my list, from what special weapons to take, to include 3 mortars as a support squad to my HQ? or model the 3 unassembled heavy weapons teams as something else?
also should I include the extra plasmacannon and melta gun?
Any comments/help Will be much apreciated.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 02:44:10 PM by darthava »

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
HQ

command squad
heroic senior officer
and 1 voxcaster
total = 107 points

A Sr. Officer, or even a Jr. Officer is all you really need for a game of that size, there is no need for a HSO at 750. Though it is also better to give a Jr. Officer an Honorifica Imperialis for a cheaper HSO unless you want to go with the fluff. The medic is also not really needed, along with the vox caster. Vox casters are not needed very much, and all you need to do is make sure your men stay in the command bubbles.

You may use the models for the sake of it however.

Troops
 troops unit one.

1 command platoon

total = 53 points

I'd trade the vox caster for a power weapon really.

squad one
9 guardsmen and one sargeant. grenade launcher and a heavy weapons platform lasscannon.
 vox caster
squad 2.

Once Again, drop the vox caster, and it's also recommended you trade the Grenade Launcher for a Plasma Gun. Though you may keep the GL if you want.
troops unit 2

squad 1
9 guardsmen 1 sargeant, grenade launcher and heavy weapon autocannon and vox caster
total 88

squad 2
total 73

See above

Heavy support

Leman russ battle tank

total 165 points.

Same people prefer to have three heavy bolters, or just give the russ a hull bolter and leave it. I prefer the above set up because it makes the tanks feel "complete" for me. However, any other variant is not discouraged and somewhat recommended.

total army value:  725

I would like some opinions on my list, from what special weapons to take, to include 3 mortars as a support squad to my HQ? or model the 3 unassembled heavy weapons teams as something else?
also should I include the extra plasmacannon and melta gun?
Any comments/help Will be much apreciated.

Well, you have several options. The recommended Special Weapon is the Plasma gun, so if you plan on building an anti Marine force, whore those. If you prefer fluff, Flamers and Grenade Launchers.

As for heavy weapons, the general rule of thumb is that every unit that can carry a heavy weapon should. I myself am beginning to experiment without HW in my line squads and placing all those in the Heavy Weapons squads. You are free to try this if you wish and it might be good to experiment around to determine what you're good at.

As for mortars and something else, here's an idea. BOTH.

Take the large base, and assemble a Lascannon/Heavy Bolter/Autocannon with one Guardsmen gunning the weapon, depending on whether you feel you need more Anti tank or not.

Now, take a couple of extra bases (I know you'll have some of those) and assemble the Mortars on them. Then take the extra Guardsmen and assemble him as a mortar user. You now have 6 Heavy Weapons for the price of 3.

You may also then take the Missile Launchers, and give them to regular Guardsmen, you have now have 9 Heavy Weapons for the price of 3.

Be resourceful and use these things to the fullest.

I wish you luck, purge a few xenos for me.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:31:37 PM by *Nosferatu* »

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
  • Greased and good to go.
Let's take it slow.

command squad
heroic senior officer
and 1 voxcaster
Now, the HSO isn't the best choice for a 750 points list. A Junior or Senior would be better. Equip the commander with a powerweapon and a bolt pistol for now. Give them another meltagun.

Keep the Vet with standard, but drop the medic in this squad. The Vox is unnecessary in small games, as your men will be within range of officers at all times.

Troops
 troops unit one.

1 command platoon

total = 53 points
Drop the Vox here. Put in 2 or 3 grenade launchers or flamers. You get a pile of them in the boxes. Maybe give the JO a power weapon.

vox caster
squad 2.
Drop the Vox unit. I always think lascannons are better put on Sentinels for mobile firepower or in Veteran squads for the improved BS. Keep these squads cheap. Give them a heavy bolter or missile launcher.

squad 1
total 88

squad 2
total 73
Drop the Vox on all these units. For the price you're going to pay, you could get a squad on the table. First squad is good... give the second a heavy weapon like a heavy bolter or even a lascannon.

Heavy support

Leman russ battle tank
Go with a bare bones hull heavy bolter. Take a HB from the sponsoon and put it on the hull lascannon cylinder.

Guard are about numbers. Always keep that in mind.

As for the HW teams, they are easy to convert to a single small base. Put mortars on a round slotta base with the gap filled. Put it next to a gunner and a guy with a back pack. Presto! Mortars are the worst heavy weapon choice though.

Cheap meltas: take the fire shield from the missile launcher, stick on end of grenade launcher. This gives you a Panzerfaust, and history buffs will praise you for your accurate depiction!

Another cheap trick: take the commanders from the tank set and put them on small bases, arming them with rocket launchers. With a little creative gravel, they appear to be emerging from foxholes. A bag of 40mm bases are another investment worth making, you can mount a few HW teams on the smaller bases no problem. The leftovers are good for when you decide to make your own Rough Riders.

Plasmas eat through Marines, Necrons (MEQs). Meltas crack vehicles well.
Flamers hit hordes hard. Grenade launchers are all rounders.

Welcome to the Guard!

Ninja'd
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline darthava

alright guys, thanks for the advice so far.

Question about modeling the heavy weapons teams, do you mean to put the mortars on large bases.. or smaller ones(like the standard infrantry base?) also, i have no spare guardsmen to put the missile launchers on. I also miss allot of grenade launchers and don't have any flamers on them yet, perhaps its best to buy a box of 20 cadians and equip them to the max with flamers, grenade launchers and 6 misslleaunchers?(i have 3 from the battleforce box and 3 from the heavy weapons teams box.)

You're toughts on this? also I will be editing my list and post it up here once I'm done making the changes.

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
  • Greased and good to go.
Make the actual mortar, then put it on a seperate 'small' base. The spare slotta bases you should have work well. If you do buy another box of Cadians, buy a bag of 40mm bases so that you can make more heavy weapons teams, like heavy bolters and such.

Don't go too over board. You can only put one special weapon in line squads, but you can have plenty in platoon HQs and veteran squads.
Concentrate on making a list.
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
Your Mortars should look something along the lines of this.

Except imagine them as Cadian and having the mortar on a small base.

Though I recommend you make a list, buy another pack of Guardsmen, maybe a Chimera, and go from there.