News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My first paint job. (Please be gentle)  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Aramis87

My first paint job. (Please be gentle)
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:11:09 PM »
Hey guys, I am new to 40K, and I have decided to play Chaos. (What can I say, games are the only place in my life I can truly be evil.) I have never painted any sort of minature before, nor have I ever watched someone do it. I have been kind of feeling it out as I go. I have been painting certain types in their standard colors (i.e. Khorne Berserkers, Thousand Sons etc..) but my paint scheme for my regular CSM is Hakanor's Reavers. I know what you are thinking, "Why, if you are painting for the first time, did you choose such a potentially detailed scheme?" Well, I either like a challenge, or I am a glutton for punishment. Anyway, here is a picture with one Thousand Son, and one regular CSM. Neither is done by any stretch of the imagination, as they both need some serious touch up, and the base on the CSM was just put on it to try to determine how the scheme would look with different kind of bases.

Constructive critisism is appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:13:29 PM by Aramis87 »
“There can be no rest in the Eternal War, for the Dark Gods and their chosen servants will never rest until the world truly becomes a Realm of Chaos”

Offline Jakinder

• Get on my horse.
Re: My first paint job. (Please be gentle)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:27:43 PM »
I might as well say this, seeing as someone else is going to say it:
We need more close-up pics to judge them.
They look pretty good though.
I lurk here so much.

Offline Aramis87

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 03:30:02 PM »
I had some, but since I just got my new camera at Xmas and I am just learning how to use it, they all came out blurry. That is the best one. I will try to take more and upload them.
“There can be no rest in the Eternal War, for the Dark Gods and their chosen servants will never rest until the world truly becomes a Realm of Chaos”

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »
I had some, but since I just got my new camera at Xmas and I am just learning how to use it, they all came out blurry. That is the best one. I will try to take more and upload them.

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=144429.0

Stickies are your best friend in this forum.

I say for a beginner, it's actually really good.  As you become more comfortable with your painting, try using either layering or inking.

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:12:30 PM »
Wow. For a first time, that's actually really good. Fairly one dimensional, but it's very clean.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:22:52 AM »
They look neat, and that's the most important thing I think. Techniques for shading, highlighting, blending etc can be learned later. But as long as you're neat then the models will look good.

Excellent first models!

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:12:39 AM »
looks not bad from afar but like everyone says we can give better "gentle" comments when there are close up pictures
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Aramis87

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »
ok so I finished another model, this time a little differently then the first, and got some better close-ups. Still could use alot of touch up, and the lava-lines are driving me insane (they look more like tiger stripes).

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
Hmmm... well, it's neat, which is great. Now time to spruce things up a bit.

Give him a wash, black for the black areas, brown glaze for the gold. Then, see  all those red bolts you've drawn over the armour? Take a fine brush, dip it in a little bit of white, and fill in the middle of each one, to make it look more... electrifying.

Offline Aramis87

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »
Thanks for the input Fafnir. I never thought of White for the middle of the lines, I was going to use a bright yellow.

Offline DutchyLion

• Official Deathdealer...
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 03:07:31 AM »
I advise u to use yellow aswell, or else use a bit of yellow with white.
Pretty tough colourscheme uve chosen btw for some first minis, once u get the hang of it they will look even better methinks.
Keep up the good work m8

D
''The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, and yet you Mon'Keigh still try and defy us?''
Prince Yriel.
================================================
One of the holy 10 commandments of gaming.
-''Thou shalt teabag only in the wake of unquestionable ownage''