News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Venom Cannon or Barbed Strangler??  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Twistedstorytella (the 3rd)

Re: Venom Cannon or Barbed Strangler??
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 04:25:30 PM »
sorry i know this may sound rude (and its not meant to be) but are you saying this from experience?
Mr. Freeze: "A jazz dancer comin to a bboy audition, you know, just cuz he could do those continuous backspins, which the commercial public knows as windmills, doesn't mean that he's a bboy, he's just an idiot that learned how to spin on his back."

Offline bazraq

• fight for today, for tomorrow may never come
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 05:20:34 PM »
if you're refering to me and my last comment, then yes.  i've fought more times against marines (specifically chaos: iron warriors) than any other type of army.  those have also been some of my easiest victories. 

just remember that nids have a weakness to vehicles, and a shooty tyrant/fex can be much better utilized by taking down those armored things which the bulk of your smaller creatures can't.  venom cannons will shread (enough shots you'll do something to it)  lighter armor vehicles when in the hands of a tyrant, or glance the heavier ones enough when a fex weilds it (str 10 makes it easy).  don't be intimidated by losing many tyranids a turn, that's what's gonna happen, and that's why you need lots of them.  marines though tend not to have many models at all, so when they start taking 5-6 casualties a turn, it really starts to loom heavily against them.

Offline Twistedstorytella (the 3rd)

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 05:51:19 PM »
I see what you mean, to tell the truth, the only times ive played against power armoured guys was when my friend was allied with a traitor army, so i had loads of ordance raining down on me, with 8 or so hormagaunts or gaunts dead (or 16 if he takes both his basilisk and lemon rusk) each turn ive never really made that much of an impression on thosae pesy chaos guys...

I really need to stop playing against allied friends and start playing one on one games...
Mr. Freeze: "A jazz dancer comin to a bboy audition, you know, just cuz he could do those continuous backspins, which the commercial public knows as windmills, doesn't mean that he's a bboy, he's just an idiot that learned how to spin on his back."

Offline new gamer12

• be afraid, be very afraid!
« Reply #23 on: July 4, 2005, 04:50:09 PM »
this is a kind of stupide question right now because it doesnt go with the subject, but what you guys are saying, is that having a carnifex with a barbe strnagler and a venom cannon is better than one of the two guns and a pair of claws????  I mean, what will he do for cc??  Are you better off getting two carnies, one specifically for shooting and one specifically for close combat???
hi.

Offline bazraq

• fight for today, for tomorrow may never come
« Reply #24 on: July 4, 2005, 05:07:44 PM »
no, what we're saying is that a carnifex is better suited to being a gun platform, and staying out of cc.  even without talons, if you give it the init boost, which i do even just as a gun platform, it is a rather capable hold up.  the point being, with the way nid's guns work, the carnifex's high strength value is most usefull from range, since it is so slow, especially when trying to chase down units or vehicles.

another thing i bet you'll find, with time and experience, is that the fex can gain many more points with shooting attacks, than if it has to tromp accross the board, and catch things in cc.  at least, that's what i've found, and i've had very good success with the shooty fex.

Offline Black Widow DLS

• Proud member of DLS
« Reply #25 on: July 5, 2005, 12:21:15 AM »
I'd say a VC, BS weilding Carnifex is the best way to go. It would do pretty good against eldar, cause the VC already can only glance, and the eldar skimmers have low armour.

Offline new gamer12

• be afraid, be very afraid!
« Reply #26 on: July 5, 2005, 09:59:36 AM »
Oh i c, i dont know, i find the carni looks way cooler with the talons, id have to decide to go with looks, or skills.........
Also, if nething does get in the range of the carni it will certainly die in cc or range.
hi.