News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,500pts competetive  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Idaho

1,500pts competetive
« on: December 1, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
I'm an experienced and competetive player and enjoy many a tournament, but I won't bow down to false internet wisdom and build a list that everyone else uses because it's the "most efficient list in the universe and the Codex can't beat it", as I just don't believe in such a thing.

However, I appreciate constructive criticism and well reasoned opinions, so here is my list for discussion from the learned people here:

HQ

Nemesor Onuris, master of war and destruction
Destroyer Lord - Warscythe, Mindshackle Scarabs and Sempiternal Weave.

TROOPS

Warriors - x12

Warriors - x12

Immortals - x7

FAST ATTACK

Wraiths - x5, 3x Whip Coils

Heavy Destroyers - x3

Heavy Destroyers - x3

HEAVY SUPPORT

Annhilation Barge

Annhilation Barge

Now I actually have 164pts spare and was leaning towards a 2nd Destroyer Lord (Vargard-exectutioner to Onuris) to exasperate my opponent's problems with the Wraits.

Alternatives could be a pair of Particle Shredder Spyders or a Triarch Stalker.

Opinions, observations and disagreement cheerfully awaited!

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
Re: 1,500pts competetive
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »
I'm an experienced and competetive player and enjoy many a tournament, but I won't bow down to false internet wisdom and build a list that everyone else uses because it's the "most efficient list in the universe and the Codex can't beat it", as I just don't believe in such a thing.

Agreed!!

The list seems to fill all the criteria nicely. Personally I'd try to fit a Doomscythe in there as they can be a pain if played properly. It would really just be an annoying bonus to your army that could pick up the scraps or get to the enemy backfield quickly to deal with a line of Artillery. I also feel a nice squad of Flayed Ones would work well Infiltrated to give your enemy a choice to make, especially with the speed of the Wraiths.

Now if choices are limited to what you've listed, I'd be more keen on the Spyders or Stalker. The Spyders are a great front line Defensive unit IMO and can be used to keep your objective holders safe, or the Stalker can help your armor saturation and make sure your infantry can wipe out any close assault units with the Targeting Relay ability.

Offline Idaho

Re: 1,500pts competetive
« Reply #2 on: December 2, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Yeah a Stalker would make the army that little bit more finely tuned.

And of course the Spyders are good for firepower plus and provide counter charge. After all the Troops are important but not to be over estimated in their ability.

I did think about adding Flayed Ones but I just despise the models!

Oh, did I spell competitive right - I don't think so!

***Update to avoid spam 07/01/2013***

So I did some play testing with a 2nd Destroyer Lord and found it made the Wraiths incredibly tough to deal with. It was actually disturbing just how hard the unit is to kill when you can bounce wounds between 3 wound models with 2+ saves and 2 wound models with great invulnerable saves!

The offensive output of the unit is nasty too. 1 Destroyer Lord (usually not the Warlord) takes the risks, hits and challenges (saving a VP going to your opponents) and frees up the Warlord to put hits on enemy units. I had 1 game where 1 Destroyer Lord killed his Chaos Champion in a challenge whilst the other forced a force sword Chaos Sorcerer to kill the last members of his squad and then instant kill himself thanks to Mindshackle Scarabs.

Beautiful! Though I did feel a little cheesey!
« Last Edit: January 7, 2013, 07:04:22 AM by Idaho »