News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 750 Point Orks vs. Eldar: Run 'em Down!  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
750 Point Orks vs. Eldar: Run 'em Down!
« on: January 3, 2017, 01:12:03 PM »
750 Point Orks vs. Eldar, Run 'em Down!

The Orks managed to smash the Eldar scouting force in the previous battle of the the campaign.  You can read more about the campaign here.  The Orks are now free to rampage across the planet, or so they think.  The Eldar dispatch another force to try to blunt the spread of the Orks across their maiden world.

Eldar Forces
Autarch w/Wings, Banshee Mask, Lasblaster, Scorpion Chainsword (Warlord)

10 Guardians w/Warlock, Scatter Laser
--in Wave Serpent w/Scatter Laser, Shuricannon
10 Guardians w/Warlock, Scatter Laser
--in Wave Serpent w/Scatter Laser, Shuricannon

5 Warp Spiders
6 Swooping Hawks w/Exarch

Orks Pillagers
Warboss w/ Bosspole, Warbike, Powerklaw, Da Finkin' Cap (Conqueror of Cities & Pronceps of Deceit)

Painboy w/ Warbike & Grot Orderly

7 Warbikers w/ Boss Nob w/ Big Choppa

Deffkopta w/ TL Rokkit & Buzzsaw
Deffkopta w/ TL Rokkit & Buzzsaw

12 Boyz w/ Boss Nob w/ Bosspole & Power Klaw
--in Trukk with Reinforced Ram
12 Boyz w/ Boss Nob w/ Bosspole & Power Klaw
--in Trukk with Reinforced Ram

Mission, Terrain and Deployment
We played at a local gaming store.  The terrain was a temperate wilderness with forest along one long edge and ruins along the two short edges.

The map is cut into quarters with an objective in the center and two others in the center of the two quarters that armies are not going to be deployed into.  There is a 9" bubble around the central objective that armies cannot be deployed inside at the start of the Battle.  Victory Points are only based on control of objectives at the end of the game.

During deployment only fast attack units may be placed on the board.  All other units are placed in reserve.  Units in fast transports can deploy in the first round on a roll of 4+.  Afterward the usual reserve rolls apply.

The Eldar wins the roll off and picks the corner of the map with ruins and places his Warp Spiders in the ruined building with complete blockage of line of sight.  The swooping hawks are held in Reserves along with his guardians.

I deploy my warbikers, warboss and pain boy in a diagonaly line along the bubble around the central objective and my two deffkoptas along both edges of the bubble along the edge of the deployment zone and scout them 12 inches closer to the Eldar, one on each flank.

The Eldar fail to seize the initiative.

Select Pictures of the battle can be found here in case they don't show up in the post.

Deployment
Deployment

Top of Turn 1
I fail all my reserve rolls, so no boyz for me this turn.  I move my deffkoptas up the board in hopes of swinging around and shooting at the warp spiders but can't get into line of sight.  My units are out in the open but feel okay about the toughness of my bikers.

Bottom of Turn 1
One Unit of Guardians in a Wave Serpent arrives from reserves.  My opponent deploys it outside the ruins and moves it 6 inches along the far end of the board to give it line of sight to my bikers.  The Warp Spiders jump to the outside of the ruins to also gain line of sight on my bikers.  The Wave Serpent fires its scatter laser and shuricannon to little effect.  The Warp Spiders have better luck, damaging on initiative.  I fail most of my saves, both cover and feel no pain, and lose 3 bikers and take one wound off my Boss Nob.  I pass my morale test and keep on rolling.

End of turn one, three bikers down

Top of Turn 2
I make both of my reserve rolls and both my trukks speed onto the map, rolling into the trees in the movement phase and moving flat out in the shooting phase. The orks are tightening the noose around the Eldar who have very little space to maneuver at the far end of the board.  One Deffkopta moves to the edge of the ruins, the other approaches the ruins and the bikers move 12 inches so they can fire at the warp spiders.  The bikers fire and the Spiders flicker jump back into the ruins and the bikers lose line of sight, cursing at the panzees.  One Deffkopta has line of sight on the spiders now and gets a lucky rokkit shot at the spiders and kills one.

Circling for the kill

Bottom of Turn 2
The last Eldar Reserves both arrive this turn.  The Wave Serpent comes in close to the middle edge on the long side of his deployment zone, lining up the bikers and ignoring the deffkopta that's about 12 inches from him.  The other Wave Serpent shifts a few inches into a trench in the map, also lining the bikers up in its cross hairs.  The Warp Spiders jump out from cover, their options open for the shooting phase.  The Swooping Hawks deploy behind my units.  The Ork trap is sprung, they are surrounded and can assault in any direction if they survive the onslaught about to be unleashed upon them.  In the shooting phase the Wave Serpents fire their shields, lasers and cannons at the warbikers in hopes of knocking them down.  The shields only get a 3 and a 5 on the number of shots they get out of two 2d6 rolls.  Due to armor and feel no pain the bikers take no wounds from the shields, and with jinking after turbo boosting and FNP take no damage from the lasers or cannons.  The swooping hawks toss a grenade on the bikes, killing the nob and taking a wound off the Warboss.  The Warp Spiders shoot at one of the trukks and cause one pen, shaking the crew and boyz inside.  They then move after shooting to bubble wrap the Warp Spider in the trenches.  I was surprised as my opponent at how well I weathered his onslaught.  If the shields had done one wound the bikers would have been immobilized.

Reserves arrive, the boyz are surrounded

Top of Turn 3
It's time to Waaagh!  One Trukk moves closer to the Wave Serpent in the trench, skirting around the Warp Spiders when they disembark.  They run in the shooting phase so they're only 1" away when it's time to charge.  The other trukk turns around, moves closer to the swooping hawks and disembarks, ready to charge the winged panzees.  They shoot at them and miss all their shots.  The bikers close on the Warp Spiders and shoot, the spiders flicker jump 10" back to the ruins, leaving one visible to the bikers.  Of 15 shots at a 6 with re-rolls only one hits, 1 out of 30.  There's a nice outline of the Spider in the walls behind him.  One Deffkopta shifts closer to the Wave Serpent by the ruins and the second moves toward the Wave Serpent that just entered last turn.

Onto the Assault Phase.  The boys assault the Wave Serpent and under the weight of 44 attacks manage to wreck the transport, causing the Guardians to emergency disembark into what will come to be known as, the murder pit.  Since they all couldn't get out in a regular disembark move they are unable to perform any actions for the rest of the turn.  The deffkopta was going to charge the Wave Serpent as well but failed it's charge roll.

The murder pit

The other unit of boyz charges the hawks and loose 4 to overwatch.  Due to the Autarch's banshee mask my boyz succumb to fear every, single, assault phase until they kill him in the top of turn 4.  In combat I loose 1 wound and he looses 2 and we stay locked in combat.

Fear the wings

The bikers charge the hawks and make the distance because we rolled off to see if the trenches are part of the ruins, and able to move through them as part of my trait, and I win the roll.  So, they charge, lose nothing to overwatch and take out 3 Spiders and sweep the last one on a failed leadership test.

The other Deffkopta misses with his rokkit and charges the Wave Serpent.  It takes off one hull point with it's buzzsaw, surprising my opponent.

Bottom of Turn 3
The Eldar don't have a lot of choices right now.  The guardians are trapped in the murder pit unable to take any actions this turn, the remaining Wave Serpent is being threatened by the Deffkopta, and the hawks are stuck in combat with the boyz.

The Wave Serpent backs up away from the Deffkopta and tries to shoot it down before it can assault again.  The Eldar manage to take one wound off of the deffkopta and looks in trouble.

The Hawks continue to fight the boyz and loose combat 3 to 1, the banshee mask keeping the boyz from really wailing on them.  The boyz make their leadership test and stay locked in combat and things continue to look grim.

Top of Turn 4
The Deffkopta moves back to within an inch of the Wave Serpent, shooting and missing with it's rokkit launcher.  in Assault it hits twice with the buzzsaw, causing a pen and rolling explodes.  The Wave Serpent goes up in flames, taking the Kopta with it and half the guardians inside.

Orkakaze

The Boyz and the Hawks continue their grapple.  I lose this round but the Nob manages to get two hits with his power klaw and the Autarch fails on of his saves an dies instantly, stopping that damn banshee mask from instilling fear into his boyz.  I finally manage to pass a moral test with this nob and the fight goes on.  My opponent was hoping to win this combat, to free up his last two hawks but that didn't happen.

The trukk that was hit previously moves toward the central objective, as does the second deffkopta.

The bikers move toward the guardians in the murder pit and the other unit of boys move over the wreck of the Wave Seprent to get closer to charge.  The boyz take pot shots with their pistols and do nothing.  The bikers spray the guardians with more dakka and wipe out 8.  The boyz move to charge, needing a 3 since they have to drop down into the trench.  They roll a 3, even with a reroll, whew.  The Guardians take out 1 ork on overwatch and then concedes that combat since I will be making 40 attacks on the charge with the boyz, not including the nob.  The boys consolidate back toward their trukk, ready to get on board next round.

Bottom of Turn 4
Things are looking very grim.  The Guardians move toward the third objective, getting in close and taking pot shots at the trukk sitting at the central objective, failing to damage it.  The hawks continue their fight but without fear the Nob and one Boy manage to wipe the last hawks out.

At this point my opponent concedes, the best he can score is 3 points, with his 1 unit left on the board

Final Score
Orks 6
Eldar 3

Post Mortem

My opponent was again shocked at how fast the Orks could move and how they were able to keep up with his Eldar.  I'm still getting used to it myself, this is the third time I've done a Speed Freak list.  The Warbikers were a tough nut for him to crack except with his Warp Spiders.  High Toughness, okay Armor for Orks, Cover and Fell no Pain is a tough combo.  He admitted he probably shouldn't have focused most of his attacks on turn 2 on the bikers.  Also, Koptas with buzzsaws are pretty nasty.  Thanks to guys on the ork boards that have been suggesting them to me.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2017, 02:29:18 PM by Roboknee77 »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: 750 Point Orks vs. Eldar: Run 'em Down!
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »
Thanks for the report :).

I agree with the post game analysis about target priority.  It would have been far better to blow the Trukks up with the Wave Serpents, and then have the Warp Spiders unleash fire power on the exposed Boyz, rather than using the Spiders to try to neutralise the Trukks.  It's not always easy to think that clearly though when Bikes are steaming forward at high speed.

I'm amazed that the Swooping Hawks held out for as long as they did, but that was thanks to the Autarch really.  I'm surprised that your opponent persists in taking the Hawks against Orks though, they're not well suited for dealing with the Greenskins.

You're swift attack was well executed and you certainly got your critical units right where you needed them.  As you're discovering Eldar Guardians are really very ordinary in close combat, so that's exactly where you need your Orks to be, and that's where you got them.  Well played and congratulations on your victory.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2017, 03:41:36 PM »
Good game. Getting the Eldar on their back foot is always the best plan.

You are rapidly escaping the "novice" stage of play, so good on you. Looking forward to giving you a better challenge soon!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2017, 09:49:56 PM »
Congratulations on the win and great job with the report. You used your units excellently and took advantage of the few lucky breaks the dice gods afforded you. A hindsight suggestion for you. If you are taking lone koptas with buzzsaws, I'd recommend using their turbo-boost to get them into a prime turn 2 assault range, while keeping them well hidden from enemy fire in your opponents next turn before you have a chance to pull off your charge. It is very tempting to keep them in line-of-sight to use that rokkit, but a single shot does very little, even with a re-roll. As you saw when they made it into close combat with the serpents, they made short work of them. They are much more valuable in the assault phase than in the shooting phase, which is pretty much true of most ork units.

On any of your Ld rolls, did you find the bosspoles helped? You ran relatively small units (in ork standards) and I wanted to get your feedback on their usefulness.

If you're looking to try something fun and have a few points to spare, try adding a wrecking ball to your trukks. Great for drive by assaults. Drive up to a transport and unload the boyz in the movement phase. Hit the target with the wrecking ball in the shooting phase, which hopefully spills out the passengers inside, than assault with your boyz on the disembarked passengers. Works great on dreadnaughts too!

Thanks again for the great report.

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2017, 03:45:53 AM »
Seems like the Eldar player is suffering from a bit of a lack of long-ranged firepower.  A pair of heavy weapons on the Wave Serpents isn't going to cut it to reliably remove Ork transports.  Not because the Ork transports are dead hard but all you need is one good turn of movement and away you go.

Nice game and thanks for the write up.
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
Thank you all for the encouragement.  This was a fun game and my opponent is planning a video battle report.

Dog_of_war, in a more traditional game, I think your suggestion on the buzzsaws is worth keeping in mind.  In this game, due to the deployment rules, I really couldn't be sure where his transports were going to be.  In the next battle, we'll be playing vanguard strike, the relic so your tactic may come in handy then.

Re: the bosspoles, I think I only made two leadership tests in this game and passed both.  The fear tests aren't morale or pinning tests so it didn't come up there.  I have had them be useful in the previous match against this opponent, it gave me a re-roll and due to the wording of the rule it kept my nob locked in combat.  that was something my opponent didn't want.  They have been somewhat helpful against Wyddr and his daemons but the Warlord trait that allowed leadership rerolls was even better.  So far I've been taking small units because I've been playing games of 500-750 and just started playing a couple 1,000 point games.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
A good read!
A local Ork player uses very similar tactics to great success as well, defending against an Ork army that fast is very tough as you don't know quite how to choose your target priority!
Personally I would probably have tried to wreck the Trukks first, the Ork Bikers are really quite resilient when you stick the pain boy in there.
A very well executed plan though and it's good to see small points battles, I really do think you need to be more tactically aware when dealing with so few units.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2017, 10:47:32 AM »
A great report, krumping your enemy, seeing them flee before you, and hearing the lamentations of their players...

A great day to be an ork. Two thumbs way up, and 10 teef for your bank account. (you will see it there the next time the bank account gets updated)

Good stuff, now go do more good stuff!  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2017, 03:11:34 PM »
Thanks Skeetergod, feels good to get some teef.  I just started a projects blog for painting my army too if you want to check that out.  The next write up I do will be when my opponent in this game plays me again.  Wyddr handles the write-ups for games he and I play, which he will probably be posting in the near future for a game we played last week.

Aurics Pride, thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the report.  I think my opponent will be expecting speed and bikes for our next battle so I'll have to throw in something he hasn't seen from me yet the next time we play.