News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Weapons for a vyper  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Disno

• dont make me Robo tackle you
Weapons for a vyper
« on: January 24, 2002, 07:20:03 PM »
Ok what the best choice for a vyper weapon wise???

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
Re:Weapons for a vyper
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2002, 07:26:38 PM »
definitely starcannon!!! very useful..also i like to give my vyper a CTM which makes it last longer
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline madwolf

• Ancient
  • &ltgrowl>
    • madwolf.net
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2002, 08:47:45 PM »
dark wind has my full agreement there..

i like bright lances too for tank hunting.
"The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough."
- Bede Jarrett

Offline Jiaurtel

• As Ynnead rises Death shall reign supreme!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2002, 08:58:46 PM »
Yup Starcannons in a detachment of 3 for marine mowing and Brightlances in Viper duos for Vehicle hunting

Offline exoditejon

• 40k Cantina
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2002, 04:19:38 AM »
anything multi-shot and with decent range. Which gives you scatter lasers or starcannons. Scatter lasers are good v guard, orks or similar and if you're tight for points.

Starcannons are great, but marine players tend to view it as powergaming if you have too many.

Bright lances are good, but with BS3 you're better off mounting them on Wave Serpents as twin-linked, or guiding them to get that re-roll
Drop by for a drink at http://www.40kcantina.com

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2002, 07:37:47 AM »
Starcannons + CTM is definitaly the only choice for Vypers. Does anyone know which gun(s) come with the Vyper? I'm curious, since I want to buy one soon.

Plus SM shouldn't whine about too many Starcannons. If they do, you should whine about their Whirlwinds, Rhino's and Terminators.

Phoenix
In the beginning there was nothing.
Then God said: " Let there be light." And light there was.
Well, obviously there was still nothing, but at least you could see it a whole lot better now.

Offline BoyProdigy

• Pirate Prince
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Still rocking your world!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2002, 08:41:50 AM »
I agree with Phoenix

Offline Fozzybear76

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2002, 10:58:54 AM »
I just opened my Vyper kits and the weapon mount is the shuriken cannon.  
"You hate people."
"Yet, I'm drawn to gatherings."

Offline The Death Jester

• Dwarfs are short, burly, stubborn, and defensive.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2002, 11:22:46 AM »
On that note does any body know where i could get starcannons. I only have one it came with my wriathlord.

War is my master, Death is my misstress
There is nothin' as sure in the world as the glitter of gold and the treachery of Elves."
- Old Dwarf Saying

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2002, 12:08:34 PM »
There's a link to Hobby workshop from the EO main site.  I haven't ordered from them yet, but they have an impressive selection of bitz, especially Eldar weapons.  If any one has dealt with these guys before the rest of us would appreciate some feedback on them.

I've been setting up my vehicles and weapons with the magnetic-swap system described in the painting tips link on the main page.  It's very easy and just too cool.  I highly recommend doing this to your models.
Over specialization builds in weakness.

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2002, 05:55:00 PM »
well i like hobbyworkshop a lot....i order most of my stuff off of that site becasue they are much cheaper than retail stores...and they do have a lot of bitz over there..i plan on buying a couple starcannons for my vyper and missle launcher for my dark reaper exarch
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2002, 07:27:16 AM »
You can order any possible bit available from your local GW store as well.

At least, that's what they told me when I asked if I could order a bunch of Starcannons for my Vyper(s)/Falcon/anything else that cane have it.

I think it's pretty lame that you only get one or two weapons with the model while they can mount up to six different ones.

I mean, the Hammerhead has both Railgun and Ion cannon in the box too, doesn't it?

Phoenix
In the beginning there was nothing.
Then God said: " Let there be light." And light there was.
Well, obviously there was still nothing, but at least you could see it a whole lot better now.

the_mighty_brain

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2002, 11:32:03 AM »
for the Vyper its best to cram the shuriken cannon that comes with it in place of the twin shuriken catapult and give it a starcannon.

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2002, 11:14:33 AM »

for the Vyper its best to cram the shuriken cannon that comes with it in place of the twin shuriken catapult and give it a starcannon.

To each their own, but I really don't consider this a good use of points.  You have to move more than 6" to get the "only glancing hits" benefit, and then you can only fire one weapon.  I think it's better to keep on the move and apply those upgrade points somewhere else in the army list.

the_mighty_brain

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2002, 11:26:46 AM »
it may be a waste of points, but it isn't many points and besides its worth having if you lose one weapon which usually happens to me anyway.

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2002, 12:00:33 PM »
i had my vyper dash up behind some shrubs (hulll down)
unloading 6 s6 shots into a whirlwind, boom!
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2002, 02:34:25 PM »

it may be a waste of points, but it isn't many points and besides its worth having if you lose one weapon which usually happens to me anyway.

While I can the use of having a backup weapon (being open-top sucks), I think your better off with a CMT and firing as you move between covered locations.  Then again I guess the CMT is considerably more expensive points wise.  Still, I think you'll get more combat effectiveness with one good gun and hide-shoot-hide tactics.

I guess it just bowls down to different expierience and tactics.

Offline Greyfell

• whoops, was that your Land raider?
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2002, 02:51:47 PM »
Personal experience, vypers are just too expensive for what they do.  The only luck I've had is to give them missile launchers and stand off, use your speed and 48" range to stay away from his long range guns and bomb sqauds with plasma or vehicles with krak.

But overall?  Cover isnt usually sufficiently heavy for good use of CTM in my area...and its SOOOOO bloody expensive when you also have t add a 'better' weapon.
Here at orbital artillery command, people claim that we think we're god.  We're not god...we just borrowed his 'smite' button."

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #18 on: February 2, 2002, 12:33:44 PM »
I have 18 vypers all equiped just a little different.  If I am going to fight nids I take a squadron of 3 that have the catapults upgraded to cannon, add in holo field/spirit stone they are about 100 points each.  They hunt first any solitary creatures.  with 18 str 6 shots most nid big guys are shredded.  For SM I have a squadron of 3 with star cannons with holo field and spirit stones.  These hunt any long range devastators first, then staying about 36 inches away, kill any marine with in line of sight.  When playing as Saim Hann I also bring two other pair of vypers, 2 with missile launcher and 2 bright lance, and 3 with scatter laser. )Yes thats 10 vypers).   On another note I have used Hobby Workshop to buy most of the models I have for my Saim Hann army.  The bits take longer to arrive but the models and supplies arrive quickly.  The prices are also better than from GW.  
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak