News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New ideas for compleately new units  (Read 761 times)

Offline Cegorach

• Still A Spamming Mon-keigh
  • Life is for the weak
    • Save the Harlequins
New ideas for compleately new units
« on: June 15, 2003, 08:17:40 PM »
I just had an idea

We are like a space circus right?

the Great Harlequin is the Ring Master

The Sadowseer is like a fortune teller

Everything else are like clowns happy clowns and sad clowns and just evil clowns (im not sure what the soliatare would be) and the Venom is like one of those mini cars

Well why dont we have knife throwers and puppetears?

Those would be some cool units wouldn't they?

Like the Pupetears could make copies of themselves or cast monsters on the feild

And the knife thrower could shoot knifes at the enemy with ordnance or just have some sort of advantage in combat

So what do you think?
"I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them."- David Berkowitz   A.K.A. 'Son of Sam'

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re:New ideas for compleately new units
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 03:48:40 AM »
I would like to see the Harlequins as Wardancers, not clowns. The Mimes are tragic, as are the DeathJesters, if you read the old fluff, and the Solitaire is the most sorrow-ridden character of all in this Masque. They are not a merry band of cirkus-performers in my mind. Perhaps is my link to the old fluff that clouds my vision, but I just can't see it.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Jinx ShadowSong

• The Unreal
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 06:36:49 AM »
Well... he ain't the only one
Live to see tomorrow. Live to die tomorrow. Everyday - Cole Rift

"We are outnumbered and outgunned. So lets go behind them and slam something up their ass as hard and as quickly as possible" Shas'o Dal'yth Remi

Offline Indro Tyr

• Quantity has a quality all its own.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 11:41:12 AM »
Ok, all fluff aside, we need an Elites unit choice... really. The solitaire can only do so much and Djs really need to step down to Heavy Support. The Master Mime idea would yet again give us yet another 1-man choice. I mean, I know that Harlequins will always be few in numbers, but we seriously need some harder-hitting Elites. Now, I envision a unit something akin to the difference between a Grey Knight and a Grey Knight Terminator. By the way forgive my repeated references to Daemonhunters; but after I saw the codex they reminded me ALOT about my favorite 40k army and I bought it so I could at least play one 'legal' army. So these 'elites' would have to cost almost as much jetbikes, but be on foot or something. I am currently at a loss as to what exactly they do, but all I know deep down is that is what we need. Any ideas I could think of right now would be so far off and bad so I'm going to think about this post more before I present and of my ideas... and any ideas of your own would be great!
"The time for using the knife to remove this cancer is past.  Bring forth the torch."

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 04:00:00 PM »
I would like to see the Harlequins as Wardancers, not clowns. The Mimes are tragic, as are the DeathJesters, if you read the old fluff, and the Solitaire is the most sorrow-ridden character of all in this Masque. They are not a merry band of cirkus-performers in my mind. Perhaps is my link to the old fluff that clouds my vision, but I just can't see it.

they're probably the happiest eldar around, no eternity trapped in stones or devoured by ones kin
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 03:18:47 AM »
Actually their original fluff stated "All their ars are merry, and all their songs are sad". Don't sound too cheerful.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Lady high farseer of kal'dris

• Khaela Furdiekh Mensha Farmiekh Khaine!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 02:50:16 PM »
i like the idea of a puppeter, being able to control people!!!!

I the queen of exquisite death who leads the burning legions of truth am here to remove the plague of the male kind in EO, they will bow before us or they will die!
1st Insane Regiment, 1st insane Company, 2nd platoon
For the Angels of Exquisite death.

Offline The VisCount

• Crucify The Insencire
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 03:15:28 PM »
i like the idea of a puppeter, being able to control people!!!!

I can kinda imagine a new Harlequin unit on that theme, using members of lesser races as puppets. Kinda like dead guardsmen animated by a shadowseer and made to dance in the air. They'd be a human shield the enemy would hesitate to fire at. I'm thinkin kinda like a mix between grotesques and shield drones.

I prefer the idea of harlequins being slightly immoral and twisted, but not in a DE way. They don't hate, they simply care nothing for anything except the survival of the eldar race, and they know that fear is a very powerful weapon against enemies in combat. Maybe some wardances like... wardancers.
I kinda think they ought to have some kinda ariel unit, abit like mix between swooping hawks & harpies. Maybe just Harlequins with jump-packs and a pair of claws, maybe +1 strength and no save on hit roll of a 6.

Offline Angelus

• Jordan Nikolas; 07/29/03 @ 5:33am; 7Lb 11oz & 21"
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 04:28:06 PM »
I just had an idea

We are like a space circus right?

the Great Harlequin is the Ring Master

The Sadowseer is like a fortune teller

Everything else are like clowns happy clowns and sad clowns and just evil clowns (im not sure what the soliatare would be) and the Venom is like one of those mini cars

Well why dont we have knife throwers and puppetears?

Those would be some cool units wouldn't they?

Like the Pupetears could make copies of themselves or cast monsters on the feild

And the knife thrower could shoot knifes at the enemy with ordnance or just have some sort of advantage in combat

So what do you think?
To start, I have to say "Cute, real Cute :P" LoL....
As for the puppeteers, why not have it they act like regular ccw Harlequins, but the corpses of the enemy units become the puppets.  No Harley-kiss or such Uber-power weapons, but each Harlequin then chooses whether to use it's own profile, or the "Puppet's" profile in combat.  If the Harlequin uses the "Puppet" profile, they keep their own equipment.

Harlequin Puppetmaster (IC) w/ powerblades, ccw & pistol on charge (4A) kills an Eldar Avatar (Somehow) by itself.  Takes control of the Avatar, puppet's it, and uses the Avatar with the attack bonuses for powerblades, ccw & pistol instead :P

To answer Tyr's cry, how about this.
Harlequin Puppetmaster (ELITES 0-1)
Pts:  50
Stats:  Same as Troupe Leader on Jetbike w/ following differences
T=4
A=3
Squad:  between one and five Puppetmasters
Weapons:  Must be equipped from the Harlequin armory
Options:  All Puppetmasters may take additional equipment as allowed by the Harlequins armoury.

Puppetmasters count as independant characters, though they must remain in unit coherency (4" for harlequins) at all times.  They may not be joined by any other independant character and must always test for leadership against their own base leadership values.

Armour saves are the same as harlequins unless carrying field-saves.

How's it sound?
Predator Space Marines
Wins: 35  Draw: 6  Loss: 2

1st Insane Regiment, 1st insane Company, 2nd platoon, 2nd squad
For the Angels of Exquisit

Offline Cegorach

• Still A Spamming Mon-keigh
  • Life is for the weak
    • Save the Harlequins
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 05:06:38 PM »
Dude thats ausome thats like what ild invision it as
"I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them."- David Berkowitz   A.K.A. 'Son of Sam'

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 06:09:38 PM »
Actually their original fluff stated "All their ars are merry, and all their songs are sad". Don't sound too cheerful.

well, compared to "we maim and devour each other to live" and "we live riged lives, and can never die in peace"
did you know I can draw?

Offline Little Dragoon

• A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins...
    • Gaming in Middle Earth
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2003, 11:04:29 PM »
Circus clowns?  Ugh.

I just don't see it.  I don't see it at all...

The way I see Harlequins is as tragic yet feared warriors who laugh in the face of death, and risk everything- including their very souls- to save their race from exinction.

The Eldar are a people who cling to existence by few slender threads.  One of those is Eldrad Ulthran and the seers who serve under him,  and another is the god of the dead, Ynnead.  And the last of these threads is the Harlequin troups.

Not so clownish, are they? ;)
~The Little Dragoon~
<><

"Dreaming of Zion awake..."

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Useless, useless."--JWB
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2003, 09:01:55 AM »
hmm, talk about reviving a dead post.  I totally agree Harlequins seem like people resigned to their fate of recounting sad Eldar tales of loss and destruction forever...

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2003, 09:30:32 PM »
you know what real life theatre troupe they most resemble though?

traditional chinese opera!! :D

where else do you have colorful dancing warriors who tell ancient tales?

did you know I can draw?

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Useless, useless."--JWB
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 11:18:50 PM »
traditional Taiwanese opera?  How about Mongolian? :o :o