News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: washes  (Read 2779 times)

Offline zerut92

• Kill the mutant.Burn the witch.Purge the unclean.
washes
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:36:59 AM »
so i was talking with my cousin about washes, hes a better painter than me (but not to the level of these forums  :P ) i asked him what a wash actually was and how do i do it.

basically he told me that a wash was just using the (we both use citadel paint line) inks, and now wash paint colors, just as is over something else and, bam, its washed.

is this how it works? I've been totally confused about how washes work.....

Offline glock_22

Re: washes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 02:17:06 AM »
That's basically it.  The idea is to have the wash, typically a darker color than your base color, go into the recesses of the model and bring out detail.  Washes are also a good way to shade.  I use what is called "magic wash".  You mix an acrylic floor polish, like Future, with the color of your choice and some water.  You get better control of the pigment, and can use whatever color you want.  Google "magic wash" and I'm sure you'll find some good recipes for making it.

Offline Eagle Eye25

• Evil will Prevail!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:31:35 AM »
Washes are a greatly improved version of the older inks.  There's no mixing so your ready to paint right out of the pod.  I've found a white primer coat & then 2-3 coats of each wash color will do a great job.  Washes will automatically shade your models as you apply the wash. 

Once you get the hang of washes they'll cut your painting time in half or better.  For beginner painters I call them "talent in a bottle".  I really like them on my bright Tzeentch models.  My last batch of 15 Pink Horrors were washed, based & flames added all to a very high standard in 6 hours. 

You'll still need to use metallic paints for metal surfaces & eyes need a thicker paint.  Over all 75% plus of most models can be washed then use regular paints for the few parts of your model the wash doesn't work well with.  For the price I'd recommend getting all 8 colors their well worth it!

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 06:23:46 AM »
My magic wash combo is Vallejo black glaze and water. Goes with pretty much everything. I've also used glaze brown for my Typhus model, and that turned out well.

Try mixing Vallejo's glazes with water. You get some really cool washes.

They're a great way to improve your paintjob and add definition without having to worry about manually highlighting and shading every part of the model.

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »
A wash can be made out of anything you might apply to your model, be it normal paint, a pure pigment colour (such as Mig pigments), an ink, a glaze or one of the GW washes.  Simply put, you water down whichever medium you're using so that it's very runny and when you apply it to the model the water will pool, pulling the colour to the recesses.  It's a quick, easy way to get some shadows to your model.

You can add products to the solution such as matt medium to turn the wash into a glaze - this is a semi translucent layer added to the model which pools more towards recesses but has body enough to carry pigment to raised areas as well.  This can create a quick and easy appearance of a blend on the model because of the uneven way that pigment is carried.  Ironically, I would say that the GW "Wash" is actually closer to a glaze in it's nature.

You can also add PVA glue to the solution which contracts as it dries.  If you add a large amount of PVA glue you get a solution fairly similar to the GW Wash and when it dries will bring the pigment to the recesses because of the shrinkage that occurs.  If you apply it liberally you tend to get quick and easy depth of shadow similar to a glaze rather than a wash (a simple wash can leave "tide marks" - a darker line of pigment where it originally rested, and generally doesn't have a very smooth transition between the two colours, whereas because of the chemicals in a glaze it lends towards a smoother blend created as it dries).  If you apply it sparingly and to precise areas it can be used for very crisp and effective black-lining.

Washes and glazes are excellent for bulk painting of army pieces.  They're not so widely useful for display pieces because the wash will respond to gravity, which on a model rarely accurately reflects the way light would fall.  If you're using a wash or a glaze within more detailed work, apply it to precise areas (such as if you're washing armour, apply it just to undersides and areas where shadow would fall.  If you're washing cloth, apply it just to crevices and usually, I'll hold the model upside down so that gravity will help to pull the wash to where I want it) and don't paint over highlights where you've already got the colour that you want.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 03:10:47 PM »
A good way to counteract the effects of gravity is to never keep the model in one position for too long. Just keep changing the orientation as it dries.

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »
Which has two flaws.  Firstly, there's a pretty good chance that you can use gravity to pull the wash to exactly where you want it, if you keep it moving this can cause the wash to dry unevenly and in places where you don't necessarily want it so much.  Secondly, depending on how much you thin your wash and heavily you apply it, you can end up spending a long time faffing about with the model ... which is completely contradictory to the point of using a wash.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline HeroZero

• 40K blog
« Reply #7 on: March 1, 2009, 12:26:01 AM »
I'm not an expert painter in any way. In fact if not for the GW washes I'd probably only have a handful of minitures painted. Here is a link to the space marines that I'm painting. They are primed white, base coated with deneb stone foundation, and washed with Gryphon Speia. Aside from the details like lenses and metalics, that's it.

http://cid-ccd4480d1042076e.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Pictures%20for%20postings/DSC03890.JPG

That is what a wash will do for ya. They make the finish touch to the models really easy and quick.

Zero

Offline zerut92

• Kill the mutant.Burn the witch.Purge the unclean.
« Reply #8 on: March 1, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »
OK, so from what i think I'm getting is that a wash is mainly a very quick basecoat? as well as it creates shadows? so say i wanted that effect for my crimson fist marines, their painted regal blue (citadel color), what would i do to "bring out shadows"?

also the original reason that sparked me to ask is i was painting grey knights (for the first time), and in the codex and GW site it says to give them a watered down blue ink wash, with inks gone, what do i do??

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: March 1, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »
OK, so from what i think I'm getting is that a wash is mainly a very quick basecoat?

No.  HeroZero is referring to the GW Washes which as I said more closely resemble a glaze.

A wash is applied over a basecoat, it is usually a colour darker by a couple of shades (because Regal Blue is already quite dark just add a little bit of black to taste), watered down and then applied (often fairly liberally but depends upon your taste).  Because it is watered down it will naturally pool in the recesses.  It does not replace basecoats.

The GW Washes are actually glazes that increase the transparency of a colour while maintaining viscosity.

Offline HeroZero

• 40K blog
« Reply #10 on: March 1, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »
I would have to agree with Dux Aurelius Elysius. The GW washes are not made for providing a base coat. They also will not cover up mistakes. The effect that I was going for with the marines is a bone color. The Gryphon wash over Deneb Stone was the quickest and easiest way I've found to do it. I've tried to use just white primer and the Gryphon wash and it does not work so well. The color just wasn't right or what I was trying for.
That was why I said they, GW Washes, are really for the finishing touches. They take a lot of the highlighting and blending out of the table top paint job. Another point that has been said but it really worth repeating is that from what I've found washes never make your paint job lighter. They always darken up what you have. Which can work to your favor. Say if you painted the Crimson Fists one shade lighter then used the Asurman Blue they will darken up. It all depends on the effect you're looking for.

Zero

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »
Washing is a technique, and glazing is a technique, both of which can be done with any product.  The GW washes are mostly just transparent paint with flow addatives in so reduce tide marks and whatnot.

You can wash with watered down paint, and glaze with simple watered down paint, or ink or pigment, whatever.

Washing floods the surface so the color pools in the recesses, and glazes are even across the surface to tint the surface in an even color.  I do agree with the  comments about washing being effected by gravity.  It's trickey to get them to behave properly.  Some artists use a medium to add to washing, which will give them a more "sticky" nature so it stays in the creases better.  I like using a little vallejo matt varnish in washes because the varnish has flow addatives in it so it will level out after being brushed on so it makes a great addative for washes, and it doesn't take as long to dry as the glaze medium does.

With the right addatives, regular paint can be made to behave just like the new GW washes.

Cheers

James