News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aurics Pride's Projects- Corsairs, Raven Guard, Daemons and now Dark Eldar!  (Read 59550 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Re: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #120 on: December 2, 2016, 10:35:44 AM »
I know the Slaanesh army is far from being a top tier list, especially if I am going Mono-Slaanesh. It's gonna be tough to compete with Tzeentch lists (Especially the new ones) but in my meta you don't really see many Horde lists and I am hoping that it's going to be something that my opponents aren't used to fighting against! I am a little worried about just how soft the army is, low toughness with a moderate invulnerable save doesn't really lend itself to longevity!
It's certainly going to keep me busy over the festive period though, this is my painting table at the moment!

In addition to this I have 10 Seekers waiting to be built (Waiting for the bases) and another 10 that I am going to be buying off a friend.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #121 on: December 3, 2016, 08:06:04 AM »
Oh man... sick collection AP! Love it!  Yeah they are super fragile though... will be a definite challenge to be sure. But remember they are super fast... and if you have good terrain on the board (ruins, or 4+ rocky terrain like I play) it will really help.

Also not sure if you've seen the Traitor Legion rumors... but Emperor's Children look freaking SERIOUS! Woooo those new Traitor Legion rules if true are so sweet and I'm really glad I've got a baby Khorne Force waiting in the wings....

If you are looking to supplement this force with some Chaos Space Marine toughness I think it'll be very viable especially with the rumored leadership changes to some of the Traitor Legions most especially with World Eaters, Plague Marines and Emperor's Children. You could do some heavy summoning shenanigans and bring in a good chunk of this force for free! lol

Just an idea. But I actually think as is, with some good terrain on the board this list is totally viable. Just use that speed to get in cover, and lean hard on Belakor to buff your most important dudes/dudettes. Anyway great stuff AP so stoked to see these models!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #122 on: December 4, 2016, 04:57:35 AM »
AP, that Daemon Prince is brilliant. Loving the colours, and you've achieved a really nice finish. If that's the benchmark for what is to come, you're going to end up with a lovely force. That deal that you got off Ebay is really sweet by the way, always nice to pick up a whole new army that is at least somewhat viable, and to do it fairly cheaply as well is the icing on the cake. It's unpainted too! You really struck gold on that one!!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #123 on: December 4, 2016, 01:45:41 PM »
Cheers guys!

@Cav- Yeah I think the list will work with a bit of luck. I am thinking that against most armies I should be near enough guaranteed to get into combat turn 2 even if it's just my Seekers, there aren't many armies that can do enough damage turn 1 to wipe out this army and I can start summoning straight away with my two Heralds.
I really like the look of the rumour for the Kakophani, loved the Noise marines before and I've just finished the Fulgrim Horus Heresy book and they feature pretty big right at the end. I am going to grab some Marines for sure as allies to give myself a bit of a variation otherwise as I go through the campaign people are going to be able to tailor their lists pretty easily to face this army.

@Looshkin- Thanks bud, I really did luck out a lot with that ebay auction. It was as a buy it now for a great price and I think I bought it about 30 minutes after it was put up! haha
The only model out of the whole lot that I wasn't actually planning on buying was The Masque (Due to the fact she sucks). My only annoyance is that most of the Seekers are on oval bases and it's really hard to get hold of Bike bases to replace them with!

I've been doing a spot of painting earlier, almost finished the Daemon Prince and I made a good start on the Keeper of Secrets. This colour scheme is working pretty well as although not amazingly tidy (I like to think that it's showing the immaterial nature of the beings!) it's really quick to paint and that should really help when I make a start on the 60 Daemonettes!
Cav, is this guy creepy enough for you?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #124 on: December 4, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »
Absolutely fantastic AP! Fave Slaanesh model and sickening paint job already. Love the pink to purple fade you've got going.... Could you share details on how you did that? Colors, mixing, air pressure? As usual you are killing it in the painting department my friend. So pumped you got this guy for your collection he looks great already

Also I did my homework and those Chaos Space Marine rumors are CONFIRMED! Emperor's Children are absolutely nasty now... so if/when you need a little resilience bump the Sons of Fulgrim await.

I totally agree with you on your assessment of the learning curve, both playing with and against this army. Thats interesting didn't realize you were going on campaign with these guys... Any details you can share with us?

Anyway great stuff AP can't wait to see this army develope its gonna be awesome. Thanks bud!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #125 on: December 5, 2016, 10:56:11 AM »
Sure thing Cav, the Keeper didn't actually go exactly to plan but I'll explain how it should be!
  • So basically I do a full coat of Vallejo Hexed Lichen, done using the higher pressure setting (My compressor only has a High/Medium/Low).
  • I then mix up some Hexed Lichen with Dead White in a roughly a 1:10 mix, I airbrush this onto the "Skin" areas and make sure that I overshoot onto the claws just by a little bit (about 1cm).
  • I then add some more dead white and just pick out a few of the raised skin areas
  • I then go back to the Hexed Lichen and again using the higher pressure I layer it onto the claws. Like the Cowling on my Corsair Jetbikes I spray towards the skin areas and layer up so that you create a bit of a gradient.
  • A wash of Druchii violet is next, over the whole model.
  • I'll then go for a Drybrush of straight Dead White on all of the skin areas, making sure that there is hardly any paint on the brush but making sure to get a decent coverage.
  • Another 1:10 mix of Hexed Lichen and Dead white is mixed up and a very light drybrush is done over the claws. I normally again brush towards the skin areas, this helps with the gradient.
  • Another wash of Druchii Violet but this time just over the claws, finishes them off nicely!

Very interested in Emperors Children! Need to work out what paint I can use for them though, been having some issues with the Vallejo Warlock Purple which keeps coming out too thin to get decent coats and loses it's vibrancy very easily.

The Campaign is going to start February, unsure on the amount of players at the moment but it'll be a tile based campaign and will be played over quite a few months. It'll be a varied points level (from Kill team up to Apocalypse) campaign with most games using the Maelstrom missions and is going to be more narrative based rather than full on competitive. In addition to there being an individual winner there will also be a "Faction victory" where the faction with the most combined tiles are crowned victors, should allow for a lot of allying and scheming!
I am expecting there to be a Nurgle player (Deathguard) at least one if not two Thousand Sons players, A Tyranid, Ork, Corsair, Tau, Astra Miliatarum and then a few more unknowns.
I will probably be the only Chaos Daemons player but I am hoping there should be armies from each Chaos god represented!

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #126 on: December 5, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »
The Keeper of Secrets has turned out extremely well.  Just the right blend of colours in my opinion and those fearsome claws stand out very well without dominating the model.  Great work :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #127 on: December 5, 2016, 01:14:26 PM »
Thankyou Iri, Like Cav I think it's probably one of my favourite Slaanesh models. There is something very creepy about it and I am hoping that my paint job on it has encapsulated that.
I've spent most of my day today painting and have finished the Keeper Of Secrets and my Daemon Prince.

Now to build another 10 Seekers and then to start the painting of the horde of Daemonettes!

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #128 on: December 5, 2016, 02:10:06 PM »
They both look great.  The Keeper of Secrets is my favourite though, there is just something more subtle about the model and it's definitely creepy enough.  The shades of purple on both models have turned out very well.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #129 on: December 6, 2016, 06:52:47 AM »
Legendary. Such nice subtle paint jobs... with great eye-catching color choices on the details. Love the yellow and gold, especially on the Keeper's eyes. Nice job on the pupils BTW! And while its very basic, I like the basing too... just love that Terminator blasted wasteland look with a couple of spikes, skulls etc. Perfect!

Anyway great stuff AP, love it! Can't wait to see those Seekers fantastic sculpts on those. Keep it up bud you are rolling!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #130 on: December 6, 2016, 09:09:49 AM »
Great work on those Daemons AP. I really like the colour transitions, and the fact that you haven't gone too OTT with the painting. The details are really nicely picked out, but not painting to overwhelm.

The skin though, is lovely. Really creepy and unsettling, just fantastically done.

Great stuff!!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #131 on: December 7, 2016, 02:40:14 PM »
Thanks guys!
I am afraid you may have to wait a little while for the Seekers Cav, I've made a start on the Daemonettes and remembered why I've never really done a Horde army!
So far I have managed to Basecoat and ink wash 60 Daemonettes, now doing the Drybrushing stage! These definitely aren't going to be to the quality of the Keeper of Secrets but if I am honest with this many models I want to get them done and on the board!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #132 on: December 7, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »
Looking good so far AP.

I think one of the best paint jobs I've ever seen on Daemonettes was where the guy used the (then new) citadel washes. Nothing else, just washes, blended into each other. It was lush. That's the beautiful thing about those minis; they really take well to a fairly simple colour palette and scheme.

What you have done really brings out the details so far, highlighting the qualities of the miniatures. I can imagine that once you've picked out 1 or 2 details per mini, they'll really pop.

Looking forward to seeing these girls when they're finished!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #133 on: December 8, 2016, 07:27:56 AM »
Oh hell yeah! Get out of this man's way he's doing work! lol  ;D

Damn man you are flying through this stuff. Wow these gals look fantastic! Killer work my friend. So ghostly and eerie I really love it. What great sculpts too. So jealous of your army... I gotta do a Chaos army!

Keep it up bud you are killing it!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #134 on: December 8, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »
Thanks guys!
Agreed on these sculpts, they are really good and although detailed they don't really need a huge amount for them to look good.
To be honest Cav the reason that I am flying through this stuff at the moment is that I am currently off work for the week (Rest days from a week of nights) and have been blitzing them!
I want the army to be ready for the campaign at the start of the year but I am also considering a couple of tournaments in the new year, including one that is organised by SS82's local club (Which is run by his brother I believe). I've never done competitive play previously but I think that either this army or my Raven Guard may be a good one to take with me. Will need to get a lot of practice games in!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #135 on: December 8, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »
You lucky dog!!! Scorp's club is insane! The terrain is just ridiculous. Plus getting to play with Luke or James would be incredible! I got an invite from James before but living in the states and with limited funds its just impossible.... at present  ;)

You gotta let us know how that goes (keep us posted on practice games as well)! Make sure you take lots of pics cause I'm sure your army will look amazing on those boards.

Sorry to place all these demands but it must be done! Jeez I am kinda bossy with all you guys demanding pics, updates etc. lol Anyway thats fantatic info bud. I hope you have a great time and I hope you reap untold glory.

Online Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: December 8, 2016, 09:36:45 AM »
The Daemonettes are incredible.  The softer more ethereal look that you seem to be opting for really does give them even more of an out of this world appearance.  I can just imagine them shimmering into battle out of the warp or being summoned.  Really impressive work.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #137 on: December 8, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »
Thankyou guys,
The kind words really do help my motivation to get stuff done and with the amount of models I've got to paint here the help is welcomed!

@Cav- Yeah I really like his battle reports and they do such a good job with the terrain! I'm only about 80 miles away from them so it's not too bad a journey to get down there.
I'll make sure that there'll be plenty of pictures of the army once it's all painted up. If I do go for the tournament then I shall try and get in plenty of practice games.

@Irisado- Cheers! That's the sort of effect that I was going for, gotta make sure they have their black leather corsets on but apart from that the claws etc should all blend in with the rest of the model.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #138 on: December 9, 2016, 02:38:44 PM »
One more little update,
I've been working on the Daemonettes over the last couple of days and they are sending me slowly insane (Or more insane.....) so I took a bit of a break this afternoon and have painted up my model of The Masque of Slaanesh. Due to her rules being pretty awful I doubt that I'll get much use out of the model except maybe using it as a Herald but it's a pretty nice model and it gave me chance to test out the Daemonette colour scheme. The Daemonettes will mostly be the same as this but with Silver instead of Gold (They aren't as important!)
Would be interested to know what you guys think  8)

It's not perfect, the highlights on the corset were drybrushed (Hence no definition to them) and I have relied on ink washes for the hair/weapons/robes. But it was a fairly quick job and I wanted to test the highlights and washes ready for the Daemonettes.

Online Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: December 9, 2016, 03:52:08 PM »
You're being way too critical of the highlighting technique you've opted for.  The Masque has turned out superbly.  I think that all the colours and shading are spot on.  You've done an excellent job.