News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Contested harlequin list  (Read 2893 times)

Offline wizard12385

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Contested harlequin list
« on: March 9, 2015, 11:13:01 PM »
Ok I'm trying to run a harlequin list and my friend doesn't think it is legal. So I'm posting it up here to 1) get other's opinions on it and 2) make sure I'm not doing anything I'm not supposed to.

Serpent Formation
TROOP 1
Troupex5
Neuro disruptorsx5
harlequin Caressx4
The storied Sword
Star weaver
TROOP 2
Troupe x5
neuro disruptors x5
harlequin's caress x5
star weaver
TROOP 3
Troupe x5
neuro disruptors x5
harlequin's caressx5
star weaver
Fast 1
Skyweaver x6
zephyrglaive x6
FAST 2
Skyweaver x6
zephyrglaive x6
heavy 1
Voidweaer x3
prismatic cannon x3
Elite 1,2, &3
Shadowseer x3
Psyker level 2x3
neuro disruptor x3
laughing god's eyex1
The mas of secrets x1
ELTIE 4
Solitaire
Cegorach's rose
ElITE 5
Deathjester x1

The shadowseers are taking up the open slots in the starweavers and joining the troupe.
I'm also bringing some allied Eldar but those aren't in contention so I'm not listing them here. Now if I'm reading the rules the way I think they go. I'm both following the force organization chart and using the Serpent formation. So I should get both the formation bonus and bound army bonus. Please tell me if I'm doing this correctly.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Contested harlequin list
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »
Formations are separate detachments. Same way an allied detachment is a separate detachment from a combined arms detachment.

Same way the masque detachment is separate from formations, which are their own detachments. A formation acts like a detachment, but instead of its requirements being things like 2 troops and an hq, it spells out individual units.

Your list only contains enough models to use the mature detachment. If you wanted to use a formation as well, you'll need to fulfill its requirements separately and it will only gain the command benefits of it's detachment and no others (and vise versa).

Does that make sense?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 03:05:31 AM »
Sorry I haven't got the dex yet but from a brb stand point, you'll need an HQ for a primary detachment to make it a bound list. I'm hoping to get the dex soon so I can see. I reallllly want to play harli's too, again! Please let us know how it works.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 06:47:07 AM »
That is a legal masque formation, however if you were to include 2 more DJ's you could gain the additional benefits of Cegorach's revenge formation.

Here are the parts in the rules I found concerning this:
Rulebook: "Every army has a Primary Detachment. If you organise your army using the Battle-forged method, whichever Detachment contains your Warlord is your Primary Detachment."
Codex: "Note that you can also include any of the Formations presented in this section as part of a Battle-forged army."
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 07:25:11 AM »
Sorry I haven't got the dex yet but from a brb stand point, you'll need an HQ for a primary detachment to make it a bound list. I'm hoping to get the dex soon so I can see. I reallllly want to play harli's too, again! Please let us know how it works.

As Fenris stated, the codex has it's own Detachment, much in the same way that all 7th edition armies have their own detachments now. I just wanted to specify that the masque detachment is not a formation, The codex does include a number of formations in addition to it.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 01:45:12 PM »
Well that's pretty groovy, I can't wait to get the dex and models.
let us know how it works when you play Killer so we can learn from your report. Happy Gaming
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 11:36:11 PM »
Codex: Harlequins has significantly different FOC than the Combined Arms Detachment.  Commenting on another army without the codex doesn't really help, especially when he has specified a certain formation.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 01:09:57 AM »
Sorry, just wanted to get in on the conversation. My apologies. -*-

So, finally, my local store was able to get my dex in, something to do with the postal service. Now I am purusing the pages and will be well informed on this topic now.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:16:58 PM by Dread »

Offline issaca

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 11:02:19 PM »
overall everything is legal..except in the following way..if you are referring to the serpents brood formation cant take the solitaire..shadowse er or deathjester

but as a masque detachment its perfectly fine

Removed details about formation requirements. Please refer to our Forum Rules, particularly rule #1 in this case.--- GML
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:57:45 PM by Battle Master Lomandalis »