News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 347971 times)

Offline colinsherlow

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1400 on: August 9, 2017, 11:05:24 PM »
Yeah I really dig the repainted cloak.

I can't wait to paint my Visarch and Yvraine...and the Yncarne. Haha!

I am stoked to see how your skyreavers fair in battle. I am going to be building 30-40 of them in the next little bit. I have a 2k tournament coming up and I want to try a bunch of Skyreaver. 1 unit of 10 for sure. For those sweet d6 pistols shots. And with a CP I can increase the odds of getting more shots of with the unit. Soulbursting them will be a blast. Having a 16" move shouldn't make it too hard to get those pistols in range. And being able to move 3" if you kill an enemy during Overwatch is great as well. Do the corsairs lose their fancy Overwatch if they are made into Ynnari?

I am on the fence about taking either Shuriken Catapults or Shardcarbines with the reavers. They both have their ups and downs.

Any who I have friends arriving. Will finish my thoughts soon

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1401 on: August 10, 2017, 04:26:02 AM »
Hell yeah that looks perfect :) great work

Cell shading! That's the name of the technique :) you've got it absolutely nailed, and it's a really really strong art style. Absolutely love it :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1402 on: August 10, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »
@Looshkin- No problem man. Yeah I went to school for art and film so I always try to really listen to people's advice and criticism. I'm a writer too, so when its time to review stuff I really try and make use of any feedback I get. No worries man. I'm so glad you said something because its something I'm going to carry forward. When the painting champ on the forum speaks, I listen! Thanks so much buddy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

@Dread- Hey bud, thanks so much for the kind words. As someone who has battled through many health issues it truly means a lot to me bud. I'm really glad all the stuff I've posted up over the years has helped you. Cause its certainly helped me too. All the feedback has really inspired me to play games, paint models and all the rest of it, even when it'd be easier to not. Its even led to me getting employed as a painter which has been life changing. So thank you my friend for sticking with me through all these years, across various forums and all the rest of it. I always really want to know what you guys think because I dont really have any friends that I get to talk 40k with. I've got my gaming buds who I throw down against, but we dont hang out, we just rumble on the tabletop so its been a great experience... but it wouldn't be what it if not for you guys. So thanks man and as always sending the good vibes your way my friend!  8) 8) 8) 8)

@Colinsherlow- Thanks man. I'm super glad I repainted the cloak. My dude really stands out now. Ah man if you run the Triumvirate please let me know how it goes! I've been thinking of doing it as well. I'm actually dying to get into an Apoc Game, cause I'm gonna take both Avatars in a truly royal rumble. Wow super impressed you are going all in on the Skyreavers.  I thought 15 of them was serious business. lol... Yeah I think Shuriken Catapults are the way to go just because of the AP. Since 6th ed I've loved shuriken weaponry... but those Shard Carbines are nice. You could always run Scourge though and get the same effect. Not troops... so there is a trade off there. Its a tough call, but I do like the catapults. Anyway do let me know what you decide on, and how they do for you in games. Anyway thanks for stoping by Colin always appreciate your insights man. Thanks!

@Ynneadwraith- Hey bud thanks so much! Really glad you dig it, especially since the colors on the cloak are your bread and butter! Yep cel shading... as you can tell I'm an old school animation nut! I love me some hand drawn cels. Anyway thanks bro I appreciate it!!!

@Everybody- Well guys I was gonna type up that bat-rep today for you but I'm recording Splintermind! This should be a good one as we round up all the DE units (including FW). We'll be talking Heavies and Flyers... and Flyers factor big time into the latest bat-rep so stay tuned for that! I'll have that bat-rep up for you guys tomorrow. So stay tuned! And thanks to Dread for the kind words again man. Digital High Five my man!!!!!!  8) 8) 8)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline colinsherlow

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1403 on: August 10, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
Where would a super awesome bearded ginger listen to splintermind?

Also you should join us and come to LVO this year

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1404 on: August 12, 2017, 09:40:41 AM »
@Colinsherlow- Hey bud. There is a link to the splintermind podcast in my signature but here's a fresh one for ya  ;D http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/ You can download right off FB. Also about LVO, I'd love to go but I just dont have the money. Thanks for the invite I know it'd be a blast. Anyway hope you enjoy the podcast bud thanks!

@Everyone- Alright the long awaited bat-rep... lets dive right into it!

Eldar vs Imperial Guard 2000pt Battle Report

Eldar

-Outrider Detachment-
Visarch
Incubi x5
Raider- Lance
Wyches x10- Hydra Gauntlets, Phantasm, Blast Pistol,
Raider- Lance
Scourge x5- Lances x4
Hornet- Lances, CTM
Hornet- Lances, CTM
Void Raven- Lances, Missiles

-Outrider-
Illic Nightspear
Warlock
Rangers
Wraithguard- D-Scythes
Wave Serpent- Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Cannons, V-Engines
Windriders x3- Shuriken Cannon
Windriders x3- Shuriken Cannon
Hornet- Lances, CTM

Imperial Guard

Company Commander
Company Commander
Lord Commissar
Lord Commissar
Primaris Psyker
Primaris Psyker
Ministorum Priest
Ministorum Priest
Conscripts x50
Conscripts x50
Scions x5- Melta, Plasma, Plamsa Pistol
Heavy Weapons Team: 3x Lascannon
Heavy Weapons Team: 2x Autocannon, Heavy Bolter x1
Heavy Weapons Team: Missile Launcher x3
Heavy Weapons Team: Missile Launcher x3
Eradicator
Eradicator
Punisher
Pask: Plasmacutioner
Demolisher

Mission + Deployment- 2nd Mission in the Crusade for Konor. Modified Kill Points, Tablequarter deployment.

Pre-Game Notes- After my last battle, I really wanted to heed the @SeekingOne's advice and just deploy to my strengths, and not try and outwit my opponent with deployment. To that end I decided on a spearhead assault, led by the Visarch, the Incubi, Wyches + Wraithguard. They would be supported by the Windriders who'd be gunning down anything those three units couldn't deal with. Hornets and Void Raven were on freelance duty, pitching in wherever needed. While Illic and his lads took out character support. Lets see how it works!

Turn 1

Eldar-  So I finished deploying first so I got first turn and off to the races we go. The Void Raven shoots ahead, drops the Void Mine on the Conscript squad I'm not going to assault and removes 8 guys. Missiles go into them and remove a number more. Lances go into the Punisher and strip 4 wounds. Windriders shoot up the squad removing more of them as well. Meanwhile, The Serpent + Raiders shoot forward to setup for a 2nd turn assault. Illic and his lads pour fire into a Company Commander, killing him and netting first blood! Nice! Meanwhile the anti-tank wing pours shots into one of the Eradicators and the Punisher, getting each of them up around 6 wounds. Not the best round from them, but solid. Decent turn... but there is a LOT left to deal with.

Imperial Guard- At this point my buddy Mike knows whats coming at him. The spearhead is threatening big time. He pours fire into the Wave Serpent with his 2x Eradicators, Lascannons, Missile Launchers and inflicts 3 wounds. Even a Conscripts unit try hurting it but to no effect. Brutal! The other Conscripts unit splits fire and takes out the Scourges with gorgillion shots. However he does manage down the Raider carrying the Wyches with the last of his anti-tank and downs it. But even that takes incredible firepower. A single Wych is lost in the wreck and since I took Hypex for my combat drug, I deploy a healthy distance from all targets and since he was so desperate to expose the Wraithguard the Conscripts were unable to target the Wyches who would've been made short work of. A very frustrating turn... the Eldar armor holds with a good third of my army not even having been targeted. I'm sensing blood in the water!

Turn 2

Eldar- Time to do some butchers work. The Visarch, Incubi + Wraithguard deploy. The Wyches bound forward 10" with Hypex, all are within 2" of their targets. Then the shooting begins. The Wraithguard unleash hell with their D-Scythes getting 3 shots a piece and annihilate untold number of the fresh 50 man Conscript squad. Meanwhile, the Jetbikes, Wave Serpent shred the other Conscript squad with a volley from 9x Shuriken Cannon knocking them down to about half strength or less. Illic and his lads pop a Primaris Psyker who wandered into LOS. While Lance fire from the Raiders, 2x Hornets eradicate Pask in his Plasmacutioner (netting me Warlord) and killing one of the Eradicators. Then comes the moment of glory... I charge the Conscripts and unleash hell again on the Conscripts. The Incubi are AMAZING making nearly all their hits + wounds killing 10+ Conscripts. The Wyches, Wraithguard and Visarch perform incredible well, with the Visarch making all his hits and wounds (pretty nice for my first time running him). Also the Raider which went in tanking overwatch killed a couple of guys too. Nice! All told there were about 10-12 Guardsmen left which was starting 50 strong at the beginning of the turn. The spearhead assault is working very well. I couldn't be more pleased. Now... I just need the Wyches to hold those Conscripts with their Inescapable Death rule and my master plan will be complete!

Imperial Guard- So we begin... Mike knows he's in deep trouble. He tries to Fall Back with the Conscripts out of the Visarch led meatgrinder and fails! However he uses a Command re-roll and suceeds! I use a re-roll but fail to top the 5 he rolled. Damn! Oh well, it worked initially... but uh-oh. I realize I screwed up and had the Visarch exposed on the frontlines! Crap! Alright so the remaining Conscripts unload on him, and I take 3 wounds. The Company Commander, Lord Commissar and Primaris Psyker, Eradicator and Punisher target the Incubi wiping them out. Soulburst! The Wraithguard are largely out of range to use their Scythes... so I Soulburst charge into the remaining Conscripts (going on to remove 2 or 3 of them). Putting a nice wall of Wraithbone between my Visarch and the remaining Imperial Guard forces. The Heavy Weapons teams then try and take out the Wave Serpent and the Raider doing minimal damage. Meanwhile the Jetbikes and Hornets continue to be ignored.  While the Visarch has taken some serious damage and the Incubi are gone... I'm still rocking and rolling deep in his lines with the Wraithguard who are at full strength and the Wyches who are still holding their own and near a lot of vulnerable IG support characters.

Eldar- My opponent is reeling, time to delive the knockout. The Wraithguard fallback and spread out so I can shoot and charge multiple targets (setting up some Soulbursts too), because I know they are going to annihilate the remaining Conscripts. The Visarch also positions himself to pounce on the gaggle of characters hiding behind the Conscripts. The Wyches jump over the wall (with the Warlock I've failed to mention) to attack another cluster of characters including the last Company Commander and the other Lord Commissar. The Jetbikes and Wave Serpent set to do another lethal salvo against the other unit of Conscripts which I've just been tearing up with Shuriken Cannon shots. So shooting begins, I wipe out the Conscripts with the Wraithguard. I then use the Soulburst to shoot the remaining Eradicator and destroy it easily. Soulburst. The Visarch uses extra movement to put himself within 2 inches of the cluster of characters in the ruin. The Jetbikes and Wave Serpent just continue to torture the Conscripts removing almost all of them. The Hornets and Void Raven then destroy the Punisher, leaving the Demolisher as the last vehicle. I then go into assault. The Visarch multi-charges takes a wound on overwatch, does a number of wounds to the Lord Commissar, but hot invuln saves keeps him alive with 1 wound. The Wyches then tear apart their target but get stuck in with a Ministorum Priest. A number of Soulbursts are triggered allowing the Warlock to Soulburst charge into a nearby Missile Launcher team.

Hoo, doggy. I tore up the Imperial Guard this turn. The army is in tatters and I'm waaaay up on kill points due to all the character deaths, and a number of bonuses I get for meeting certain critera for the modified kill points.

-Wrap Up-

So to make a long story short, I went on to nearly table my opponent after 5 turn. The only thing left was a Heavy Weapons team with the Wraithguard moving in on them and a unit of Scions that deepstruck who went after a Hornet, which I then ran away away from effectivley stranding them. The Jetbike + Wave Serpent combo also went onto wipe out the Conscript squad... and I also took out that lone Demolisher who I picked on... charging him with the Wave Serpent forcing him to fall back, just to keep him out of the fight.

The only downer was the Visarch got killed turn 3 by the Primaris Psyker who got him with Smite. I did screw up in placing him. I was just so eager to get him into combat I put him on the frontlines when I should have shielded him a bit.

So I was beyond stoked with the results of this game. It was a challenging list I went up against with TONS of bodies and a ton of armor. I felt like I had enough tools with this list to really handle each of the elements.

Also special mention has to go out to Illic and the Rangers. I forgot to mention it, in the blow-by-blow but they continued to take characters out throughout the battle and even took out a Heavy Weapons teams. I've found especially in the middle of the game, when everything is getting crazy, especially after assaults, opponents sort of forget about them (especially with Wraithguard, Incubi in there face) and they can really pounce on any exposed characters.

I also HAVE to mention that Incubi+Wraithguard+Wyches are a tag-team made in heaven. These guys SHREDDED in this game. I can't really convey how much mileage I got out of Soulburst with these guys. In 2 consecutive turns they maxed out there soulbursts meaning no one in the area could Soulburst anymore because they each got to make an extra action.

Also I cannot wait to go against an opponent where they can't fall back and still shoot. I really want to see how well I can do to go after a big cluster of units, charge them all (hold some with the Wyches) and force them to either stay in combat, or contact so many units on the charge that it'll be really hard for my opponent to shoot them.

Alright guys I could go on forever... but as I'm sure you can tell, I'm busting with optimism over this build. I've got an even better one planned as well... so stay tuned for that!

Anyway guys hope enjoyed the bat-rep... I'll be back soon with another and hobby updates as usual. Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:01:53 PM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1405 on: August 12, 2017, 11:23:08 AM »
Well played and I'm very pleased to see that the Eldar emerged victorious.  You executed your plan very well and I think that it was always going to be difficult to stop, especially after your crucial units weathered that first turn of anti-tank fire power.  It still amazes me how quickly units get into close combat in eighth edition.  I can't make up my mind whether I like that.  Still, it was a very dramatic game.  Thanks for the report.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1406 on: August 12, 2017, 01:34:46 PM »
Great report Cav, I'm glad to hear that your build worked so well and caused so many problems. I really think that this edition, unless something changes drastically with the Codex, that Ynnari are going to be the choice of top generals - conversely, they will also be used by bad generals, who won't be able to get the most out of them...so they'll appear balanced if you look at a cross section of results.

I can't help but feel that Mike made some critical errors with target priority early on. I think that he probably over-valued the conscripts in his efforts to neutralise all threats to them. Personally, I would have tried to take out anything soft (or at least debilitate it)...so the Raider would have been a prime target, followed by the Wyches and probably the Wind Riders.

That way, the Wave Serpent absolutely will hit his lines...but at least he has a 50 man speed bump in place to slow it while his tanks and heavy weapon teams get to work. As it was, he spent far too many resources barely scratching the toughest element of your army...and it's likely only very lucky rolls would have gunned it down in that critical first turn.

Oh well, it's a learning experience for everyone!

By the way, that Visarch still looks boss!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1407 on: August 13, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »
@Irisado- Thanks Irisado. I'm glad I bagged the win too. These Conscript armies are pretty tough. This wasn't as gruelling as the 200+ infantry army I faced a few weeks ago. But I still thought it was a very strong list. I was blown away by just how hard my list can hit though. Man that turn 2 was a crusher... then amplified by Soulbursts, it was nuts.

About combat, yeah you really do make contact very soon. However the shooting in this edition can be insanely ridiculous. So you need to make combat quick... and its also mitigated by being able to fall back. You need to make contact quick, do a lot of damage to make combat viable and I think they accomplished that with the rules. Even my Wyches who dont kick out a ton of damage have been super useful, so I'm happy. Anyway thanks Irisado glad you enjoyed. Hopefully I'll have another up soon.

@Looshkin- Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it. Yes I agree, Ynnari IMO are phenomenally good. After being somewhat disappointed with CWE, I turned my lonely eyes to Ynnari and fell in love. lol... To me more than double tap, more than the double movement (which is my favorite) its the interrupting action that appeals to me the most. As soon as my opponent starts to get on a roll, all of a sudden I'm charging the big nasty unit he was going to shoot. With my army designed to operate at close quarters I really get a ton of mileage out of that.

I'm not sure what I would have done differently if I had been him. I think he wanted to blunt that speartip as much as possible. I think I would have thrown everything at the Serpent and try eliminate those Wraithguard too. But the Windriders and Wave Serpent really tore him up after Turn 3. Man they kick out a WICKED amount of damage even against hordes. I've got a plan to enhance the sort of support wave riding up behind the Wyches+Incubi+Wraithguard that should be really nasty, because my eyes have really been opened to how strong that shuriken fire (of all types) can be.

My list is the sort which forces players to make quick decisions cause its on you so fast and is really explosive offensively. But yeah for sure definitley something to learn from. But it sure felt good toppling one of Mike's undefeated lists  8) 8) 8)

Thanks about the Visarch man. I'm so stoked I took your advice he looks soooooooo much better now. Thanks Loosh, you are the man

@Everybody- Hey guys soooo I'm wrapping up another commission quite soon and I just finished the Lord Regent himself. I'm in love with this model after painting it. The photos of the model do not do it justice. They make his proportions look all wonky and they really aren't. A big exaggerated yes, but no different than any other 40k model. I love this dude and am seriously thinking about collecting all the Triumvirates and get a corresponding unit to accompany each of them. Once I'm finished with my World Eaters that is  ;)

Anyways thats it for now guys. I'll be back soon with another update. Until then stay tuned!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1408 on: August 14, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »
Nice Cav!

That Guilliman is terrific. I'm particularly pleased to see that the client went with the helmed iteration - I think it looks considerably better than without. Lovely depth and richness to the blues in particular, while the sword absolutely draws the eye and makes everything pop even more. Excellent commission and one that I'm sure the client will love.

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
« Reply #1409 on: August 14, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »
Oh man that is a beautiful model Cav! I agree with Looshkin, he looks a lot better with a helmet than the non-helmeted ones I have seen.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1410 on: August 15, 2017, 05:38:13 AM »
Hell yeah! Great to see the Eldar kicking backside ;) seems like the deployment tactic of sticking with your own battleplan and making your opponent react to that worked nicely

Guilliman looks brilliant :) I must admit, I'm still not the greatest fan of the model. The toned down FW Guilliman I much prefer, but you've done a stunning job on him. If there was a neuvo-Guilliman I'd buy, it'd be that one!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1411 on: August 20, 2017, 08:53:43 AM »
@Looshkin- Thanks so much Loosh glad you like him. Like I mentioned to Tweedz in his thread, my trick is using Reikland flesh wash on the super deep areas on the blue. It gives this awesome black thats way deeper than Nuln Oil. I apply it really carefully and it makes a great effect. Anyway thanks man!

@Tweedz- Hey thanks Tweedz. Appreciate it! Yeah that was the client's call on the helmet and I think it was a good one. The white helmet was my idea though. Thanks bud  ;D

@Ynneadwraith- Oh yeah. Eldar kicking butt... the way its meant to be! Glad you dig Guilliman. I know a lot of people are down on the model but I'm glad you dig the paint job. Thanks Ynnead!

@Everybody... Well speaking of Guilliman I've got a super quick bat-rep for you guys! Against Guilliman, 2 Imperial Knights and a whole mess of Primaris Marines!

100 PL Eldar vs. Imperium

Roboute Guilliman
Primaris Lieutenant
10x Primaris Marines
10x Primaris Marines
3x Hellblasters
5x Reavers
5x Reavers
Imperial Knights- Gattling Gun, Autocannon, Stubber, Reaper Chainsword
Imperial Knight- Power Glove, Reaper Chainsword, Missile Launcher, Melta

Visarch
Illic Nightspear
5x Rangers
5x Wraithguard- Scythes
Wave Serpent- 3x Shuriken Cannons, All Upgrades
Dark Reapers x5
Wave Serpent- 2x EML, Shuriken Cannon
Jetbikes x3- 3x Shuriken Cannons
Hornet- 2x Lances
Incubi x5
Raider
Wyches x10- Phantasm, Blast Pistol, Hydra Gauntlets
Raider
Scourge- 4x Lances

Deployment and Mission: Hammer and Anvil, Spearhead deployment, old Emperor's Will with a single objective in each DZ.

Turn 1

Imperium- Guilliman flanked by the 2 Knights, trailed by standard Primaris Marines all hoof it up the board. The gattling knight shoots down the Raider and then everything remaining tries to shoot down the Incubi but fail! Super quick turn as everything is out of range. I think the deployment (chosen by my opponent) is hurting him right off the bat.

Eldar- Cautious approach by the Eldar as I need to time my attack perfectly. I know the opponent is coming to me... but it'll take awhile for him to reach me. So I hide my Jetbikes out of LOS and try to prepare against infiltrators. I keep my Wraithguard in their serpent and move it just a bit to get within striking distance of the Gattling Knight. The EML Serpent swoops by and the Visarch mounts up. I then buckle myself in and go to work. If I can take out the Imperial Knights I'll have time to handle the slower foot sloggers. So 10 lances + 5 Starshot missiles go into the Gattling Knight... and I only cause 6 wounds! I'm ready to get smashed at this point because I needed to waaaaay more damage than that. I was chucking ICE CUBES for dice. Just miserable rolling... but hey what can I do? Also of note... my Rangers actually inflict a single mortal wound on Guiliman. Nice!

Turn 2

Imperium- The Gattling Knight sensing danger from the Wraithguard jumps aside trying to get away from them. The other melee Imperial Knight comes barreling forward towards my line. Guilliman and his Primaris Marines coming hurtling forward. Imperial Knight shoots his gattling gun into the Incubi and only kills 3 of them? What heck? Guilliman then shoots up my Rangers killing 2 of them. But thats it! Wow! I feel a lot better after that turn.

Eldar- Alright... I know it all or nothing at this point. Those Knights are going to come barreling into my lines with Guilliman not far behind them next turn. I've got to do this thing and take out those Knights! So I move out all my Jetbikes to pitch in fire support, the Wraithguard deploy... moving toward the melee Knight. While my lances take careful aim on the Gattling Knight. So this is the plan... I'm going to try and take out the Melee Knight with the Wraithguard, then unload all my lances and missiles into the wounded Gattling Knight and hopefully be able to blast up Guilliman with the bikes... So the Wraithguard roll up their shots... and get the all holy 6! on for d3 shots. Oh man... I make all my wounds but 2... my opponent then fails all but 4 saves and I roll an UNGODLY amount of 5's and 6's and nuke the knight! I then cautiously soulburst move away and out of LOS of the other knight just in case I fail to take down the Gattling Knight. Alright... so all the lances and missiles do horrific damage to the last Imperial Knight, but fail to kill it! Enter the Jetbikes who go down to the last dice roll to kill the sucker but manage to do it. On top of that he explodes and inflicts 3 mortal wounds on Guilliman! I then take aim with Illic Nightspear and inflict 3 more mortal wounds on Guilliman! Unbelievable! Guilliman is down to 3 wounds! Wow what a turn! Meanwhile the 2 men left from the Incubi go into the Reavers inflict a few wounds.

Turn 3-

The Imperium makes a last ditch effort to break the Eldar. The Hellblasters abandon the objective they've been holding and come seeking revenge on the Wraithguard taking 2 down. Fire from Primaris Marines who can see them killing another. Guilliman brings down an Orbital Bombardment on the Jetbikes but only kills 3 of them and a Ranger. Then in combat the 5x Reavers take out the Incubi after I roll some cold dice. I then Soulburst with the Wraithguard who were just within 7 inches and then kill 2 of the 3 Hellblasters.

Eldar- Ok... here comes the kill strike. My Raider with the Wyches (who should have gone to help the Incubi) one shots the Hellblaster with a Dark Lance shot. Then... all mighty glory is bestowed upon my army as the shot heard round the galaxy is fired and ILLIC NIGHTSPEAR downs Guilliman! WOW. What a champion! He inflicted 6 mortal wounds against Guilliman this game!  What a legend. People have been crapping all over Rangers but I love them! They really keep the pressure on and can keep chipping away at big important characters... and with Illic backing them up they have a chance to rip the heart and soul of an army! With that my opponent calls it. It was a great fun game. Short, sweet and legendary!

While my opponents list wasn't optimized, it was an intense game. He's also a super good player having won many local tournaments. He's a super good guy and knows how to get the most out of fun, balanced lists with some nasty surprises and awesome synergy. It was a great time and definitley a highlight for me in terms of cinematic 40k moments. I'll always remember the "Shot Heard Round the Galaxy". Anyway thanks for stopping by guys and I hope you enjoyed the bat-rep! I'll be back soon with some hobby updates soon. Talk to you all soon!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1412 on: August 20, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »
I really like that last photo with Gulliman pictured in Illic's sights.  It sums up the battle in a single image.

I enjoyed reading the report, but I do have to say that I really did not like that Space Marine army from a lore perspective.  I dislike the whole idea of Primaris Marines as a concept, but adding Imperial Knights made it even worse.  From a narrative perspective, none of it made any sense to me at all.  I'm thus glad that you won on the principle of the background alone.

The board looked great and your Eldar continue to stand out really well on the gaming surface.

Congratulations on your victory :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline colinsherlow

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1413 on: August 20, 2017, 11:14:49 AM »
Nice batrep Cav!
It was nice to see two imperial knights go down fairly quick.

It takes a lots of fire power to down one knight. It averages about 32-34 Dark Lance shots hitting on 3s to kill one knight for my Drukhari. Haha! I don't have near enough dark light to kill a knight in a turn. Even 2 turns will be challenging.
I do own wraithguard. I might have to bring them out from a spin!

Curious as to how Illic inflicted 6 mortal wounds on Gman in 3 turns? Was that with the Rangers? Or did you just mean 6 wounds with Illic? Which it amazing either way.

I am waiting my my local shop to get Illic in so that I can give him a try. He looks like a solid addition to any Aeldari list. My Drukhari wouldn't mind having Illic and some Rangers around for support.

I will be getting a few games in next weekend and plan on trying out a few corsair skyreavers and Shadow Specters.
Stoked!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:16:42 AM by colinsherlow »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1414 on: August 22, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »
@Irisado- lol... all he was missing was a couple of flyers and your blood would have been truly boiling! lol  ;D ;D ;D Thanks Irisado, it was a super fun game. It was really intense at first... I'm just glad his knights weren't totally loaded for bear with all manner of shooting. Patrick's a really cool guy and always considers the play experience of his opponents, even though he's a tournament winner. Yeah taking down Guilliman was pretty legendary and is something I'll certainly remember for a long time. Thanks for the comments on the models and board... the store has a nice spread of terrain allowing me to just plop a few pieces of my own down to make it look really solid. I'm working on some new terrain now that looks pretty cool and have a ton of stuff planned for board at home. I think you guys will enjoy it. Anyway thanks Irisado really glad you enjoyed the bat-rep and the results  8)

@Colinsherlow- Hey Colin. Yeah those double Imperial Knights were damn intimidating... I've actually had a ton of luck with lance fire. In my first game I took down an Imperial Knight in 3 turns with 2x Hornets and my Warp Hunter (which whiffed until the 3rd turn).

Wraithguard are INSANE!!! The D-Scythes are insanity... I'm actually thinking of popping the arms off my Wraithcannon-Guard and having 2x units of them for competitive games. But then again Dark Reapers are equally incredible... so I may keep things as they stand.

Yeah I goofed on recalling the damage for Illic. I played that game on 4 hours of sleep and wasn't recalling things correctly. It was really just wounds. 1 mortal wound from a Ranger, a mortal wound plus a mortal wound from Illic on turn 2, 3 mortal wounds from the exploding knight, then a mortal wound plus 3 regular wounds to kill him.

Thats great about your Skyreavers + Shadow Spectres. Feel free to hit me up and let me know how you do with your Skyreavers. I'm DYYYYING to paint mine... I feel like its really gonna throw my opponents for a loop when I start using them. I've been able to mix up my lists so much more in 8th than I was able to in 7th. Sooooo many good units....

Anyway thanks for your feedback bud I do appreciate it!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1415 on: August 22, 2017, 11:15:16 AM »
Finally caught up on this. Your guys did some work! Shame about the Incubi, but Illic and the Rangers taking down Guilliman more than made up for that. Those guys have proven a little bit deadly so far ;)

Looks like the Indomitus Crusade couldn't make much headway into the Lions' Den ;)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1416 on: August 23, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
@Ynnead- Thanks so much man! Yeah pretty happy with how my guys are adapting to 8th. Its been a LOT tougher but way more fun. Yeah it was tough luck with the Incubi (if I had supported them with the Wyches the 2 survivors from T1 would have made it). Yeah those Rangers got revenge for sure. Yeah the Rangers have been fantastic... I really hope Looshkin sees this because he's an Alaitoc man.

lol.. yes! The Imperium ran into a brick wall when they encountered my Eldar. Also... the Lion's Den... I love it!!!

I wish I got to play against Chaos more often because fluff wise my army is actually staunch allies to the Imperium... which was backed up even more with the Gathering Storm II came out. But I think I've only played against a non-Imperial army 4 times since 6th edition... 3 against Tau and one against Khorne Daemonkin! I'm trying to setup a game against Tyranids for this weekend... so wish me luck! And thanks bud!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1417 on: August 25, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »
Great result Cav; I'm just so impressed with how quickly you took down the Knights. I bet that was a shock for your opponent too. 1 Knight? Sure. Both? No way!!

I'm also incredibly happy that the Rangers and (mainly) Illic managed to take out Guilliman. Again, I bet your opponent's jaw hot the floor with that result!!

Great Bat Rep bud, I'm stoked that you're really figuring things out with your Eldar.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1418 on: August 27, 2017, 08:10:12 AM »
@Looshkin- Hey thanks bud. Yeah my buddy Patrick was SHOCKED when Illic took down Guilliman. He was just like "Bruh." He called it as soon as Guilliman failed to resurrect which I understand. I'm actually hoping for a re-match against this list where I'm gonna take the Avatar and some other fun stuff... a sort monster mash royale-rumble.

Also thanks, yeah I've really getting the ball rolling with my Eldar, couldn't be happier. Especially for my main man Illic!!! If you've painted him, make sure you share cause I dont think I've seen him before. Anyway thanks Loosh!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1419 on: August 29, 2017, 07:15:38 AM »
Wow Cav, you've done some serious work since I've been away!
As much as I hate that Gulliman model you've done a great job on it and it definitely looks better with the Helmet on.
Great reading your battle reps and good to see that you've hit the ground running with your Eldar in this new addition.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here