News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 348172 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1240 on: May 3, 2017, 12:45:20 AM »
Honly cow. You have come so far! You amaze me every time I check in here. Wow, just wow!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1241 on: May 3, 2017, 04:13:07 PM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks Saim-Dann.  The detail is truly insane... I just spent 6 hours doing only the gold and only completley finished 4 Terminators. Its crazy... Yeah it is the new Thousand Sons Blue... highlighted by Aehriman blue then Temple Guard Blue. Really glad you dig the blue... making it look good is super important on these models as there is so much gold. Thanks bud really glad you like them.

@Killersquid- Hey KS thanks buddy. I agree with you. It is easier... but such a grind. Like I mentioned to Saim-Dann, 6 hours spent on 4 1/2 models painting only gold hoo-doggy... Such a grind. Luckily I had some good listening material to help me through it and ultimatley I think it'll make for a happy client which is the important thing. Also my experience painting gold has been really helpful. Anyway thanks bud can't wait to see some more of your AOS models.  ;D

Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado, really glad you like them so much. Yeah you really have to go all out to make these details look good. Its not enough to simply throw a wash on there, you gotta get in there and hand shade with Abaddon Black because some of the little golden arrows etc. just dont hold the wash. Like you mentioned, I'm luckily blessed with a steady hand, but I do have some techniques to steady your hand a bit more... like positioning your fingers in such a way that you are sort pushing them against the base at all angles. Its something thats become second nature but its sooo helpful for doing eyes, eyebrows various super-fine deatils. Anyway thanks Irisado while its been tough, its really great seeing one of the all time classic Chaos Space Marine units turn into a whole army right before my eyes. Thanks!

@Dog of War- Thanks DoW. Yeah doing the edge highlighting has been fun, and I've had to amp it up quite a bit where ever its required because its so minimalist with these models. But where it is featured you gotta make it pop, otherwise it wont look right. Also yeah the warp-lava was the client's idea but a great one! It really makes these guys look unique... almost like they bring the Warp wherever they go which I love. Thanks DoW!

@Dread- Thanks bro. So glad you like em. Stay tuned because Magnus is next!

@Everybody- Thanks for the great feedback guys. I'm fresh from the painting table so I'm burned out at this point, but your comments are so encouraging. Thanks guys! Can't wait to to get to Magnus but also the Storm Eagle... I've only done a small amount of work on it but it looks cool even in this beginning stage. Anyway stay tuned guys I'll be back soon!
« Last Edit: May 3, 2017, 04:14:33 PM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1242 on: May 4, 2017, 04:12:44 AM »
Ooh nice :) i've always liked thousand sons personally, and these guys are really sharp :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1243 on: May 6, 2017, 07:01:16 AM »
@Ynneadwraith- Thanks bud. Appreciate it  ;D

@Everybody- Well guys still grinding it out with commission work and I will be for the next 2 weeks. So I wanted to share the small amount of progress I made on the Storm Eagle. This was done awhile ago.. wanted to get further along before sharing but since it'll be awhile I figured I just go ahead now and share it.

So a couple of things... REALLY dig the brass etch I picked up. This stuff comes from FW but I picked up off ebay mint, for like 10 bucks. Secondly I'm really happy I decided to make the pilot come from the "Skull Takers" (working name) Warband. I figured the Berserkers are too freaking crazed to actually pilot a flyer. My fluff for them is they come from stock of World Eaters who aren't given the psycho-surgery. May not work within the fluff... but it'll be something to that effect. Thirdly! The freaking Legion Rhino Doors were SUCH a good call... I'm so glad I spent a little extra to upgrade this model. Its absolutley enormous in size and is going to look suitably ancient and battle-honored for a 30k relic. I'm even tempted to get a second one.... but I have to wait for the new edition to come out before I decide on army development. I'm praying jump troops, rhinos and land raiders will come back into style. But if not a second one of these may be in order!

Alright guys thats it for now. Thanks for stopping by... can't wait to update you with models of my own. Stay tuned!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1244 on: May 6, 2017, 07:24:44 AM »
Niiiiice!
Go ebay! It's looking good so far, Cavalier. Such a shame it's going to the dark side. We all know it's going to look Micky Mouse but still can't wait to see it finished... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1245 on: May 11, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »
@Everybody- Hey guys! So the Thousand Sons project is finally winding down. I've only got 4 Sorcerors to go and the project is done.

But I'm hot off the painting table with Magnus and I'm super happy with how he came out. Check him out!

I found him to be probably the easiest model of the entire commission to paint. A total joy really... what a phenomenal model. I can't tell you how phenomenal the sculpting is, seeing it in person. I thought it was a tad over the top seeing him online, but seeing him in person... flat out one of the best models I've ever seen. Perfect balance of detail and flow... So amazing.

Anyway pretty proud of how this dude turned out. Hope you like him! Can't wait to get a Daemon Primarch of my own... Come on GW give me Angron!

Alright guys talk to you soon... and Eldar, World Eaters and Dark Angels updates are coming back soon... so stay tuned! Talk to you all soon. Take care!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1246 on: May 11, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »
Sweet! That's a really, really nice job you've done with Magnus :) the glowing tattoos are an especially nice touch.

I've actually had a similar experience with all of the Triumvirate models I've come across so far. I must admit I wasn't sold on a single one of them when I saw pictures online. They all looked a little, I don't know, bland and uninspired.

However, when I actually had the bits in my hand I was sold. Every one I've made so far has been absolutely exquisite. That's the perfect word for them as far as I'm concerned. Seems like it's the same with Magnus :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1247 on: May 11, 2017, 10:15:32 PM »
Great job Cav! Digging the wings.

Not a fan of the sculpt though, those chest horns mess up its ability to fight with a sword.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1248 on: May 12, 2017, 01:10:10 AM »
Love the work! He is something else but I do agree with the chest thingies, kinda strange but beautiful paint.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1249 on: May 12, 2017, 08:54:54 AM »
That is an awesome paint job Cab. Very jealous of your client for being able to have such a gorgeous mini as the center piece of their army. The only issue I have with the sculpt of the model is that it looks way more Age of Sigmar than 40k, but other than that it's simply stunning.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1250 on: May 12, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
The model itself is, in my opinion, awful and looks nothing like how I believe Magnus the Red should look.  It looks more like some kind of possessed version of Orion from a Wood Elf army than it does the Chaos Primarch of the Thousand Sons.

Your paint job, by stark contrast, is outstanding.  The colour choice, the contrasts, and the excellent work on the wings and sword stand out for me, but the whole thing is a masterpiece.  Fantastic painting :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1251 on: May 12, 2017, 02:08:01 PM »
@Ynneadwraith- Thanks buddy. Right there with you. I thought the Trimvirate models (of the Imperium) were a bit boring. In person they blew me away. Anyway thanks for the kind words bud.

@Magenb- Thanks bud, yeah the wings were a bear. They took me about 10+ hours to paint. Brutal, but worth it. Thanks so much man, I appreciate it.

@Dog of War- Hey DoW thanks so much buddy. I really hope the client likes it. Haven't gotten any feedback on anything, so hard to tell. Yeah I hear you on the AoS thing but in person it feels less over the top. I know how crazy that sounds, but when you've got him in the board, chilling with his Rubrics, it just looks right! Don't know how else to describe it but considering how crazy the model looks, I know it sounds bizarre! Anyway thanks bud really glad you dig him.

@Dread- Thanks bro. Super appreciate it... really glad you dig him. Thanks :)

@Irisado- Wow thanks so much Irisado. You praise really, really means a lot to me. I've really gone all out on this model so the kind words are very much appreciated. While I personally like the model a lot, I do know where you are coming from. I guess that old piece of John Blanche art which is so close to the actual model always just stuck with me, so it sort of met my expectation in terms of mental image. Either way though, thanks so much I really do appreciate it.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1252 on: May 14, 2017, 07:12:43 AM »
WOW! Your colour choices are spot on, Cavalier, and your freehand is amazing. This piece is a mean looking beast. The horns on his chest look like they came from Madonna's wardrobe though. As always am impressed with your photography. The ground shot, looking up at the piece is truly professional.   

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1253 on: May 15, 2017, 03:48:26 AM »
Holy amphetamine parrotballs. You step away from the forum for a few days and Cav goes and drops Magnus on you. Holy beslubberity beslubber!

They always say bases and faces make a model, but I'm now thinking it's wings and skin - like a good KFC megabucket. Seriously Cav, that's what makes the model for me. The skin is smooth and incredibly rich. It looks like Magnus is made of Shiraz or Merlot it's such a beautiful deep shade. On top of that, the wings are just superb. Really exquisite edge highlighting and the blending towards the stubs really brings the model together.

The colour palette is excellent, but we kinda expect that now Cav  ;) The spot highlights are all so very well done, really popping off the model and drawing the eye to the next bit of detail.

All in all, spectacular.

I'm off for a lie down, because I just had a Magnusgasm.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1254 on: May 15, 2017, 07:51:38 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks bud. Yeah I was really stressed about getting good photos, which has been a struggle for some of these larger models. Glad you like the color choices too it was a big challenge on this model so thanks man I appreciate it.

@Looshkin- Wow, thanks Loosh. Super appreciate the kind words. You hit on the things I worked hardest on... those wings and the skin. It was the first time I used my airbrush to do that sort of color fade effect and I'm really happy with how it came out. The secret ingridient for both the skin and wings was a Drucchi Violet wash over the red on both the wings and skin. Wow what a difference! Seriously though man your kind words on the skin tone and wings really mean a lot. Thanks so much man. I'm looking forward to using what I've learned from this commission on all the new stuff to come, so hopefully I'll have leveled up in that regard. Anyway thanks a million Loosh, you are the man  8)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1255 on: May 18, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
Hey gang so back again with another update. The last batch of Thousand Sons. Really happy with how these guys came out... phenomenal models, definitely the best in the bunch. Really happy with how unique they look and that I was able to really make them look colorful using only 4 colors... the blue, green, gold and reddish-pink.

So glad I'm gonna be able to get back to my own projects and a lighter load in terms of model count on future commissions.

Anyways I was able to do a little work on my Fire Dragons today (and I'll do so tomorrow) to finish them up for a game on Saturday! My final game of 7th edition and my final battle report of 7th edition, so stay tuned for that.

I'll be back soon with an update on my Fire Dragons and the commencement of work on the Storm Eagle, so stay tuned!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1256 on: May 18, 2017, 07:00:52 PM »
Niiiiice!
Only four colours? Well done, Cavalier! They are truly majestic models and you've done them justice. The blending on the capes and gowns, the bone horns, the highlighting on your flames and even the toning on their feet... Magic. Another happy chappy for a client.

-What painting level would they be?
-Are you the guy they go to for that level all the time?
-Do you work from home?

Thanks for sharing, mate. Your pieces are always a treat.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1257 on: May 18, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »
Just wow dude :) those look phenomenal. You're painting is just so crisp it's unreal ;) oh, and you're not helping my wallet. I absolutely adore that little ibis-head backpack thing on the Sorceror and it's calling to me to do something with it...

Looking forward to seeing some Fire Dragons! Especially in action ;)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1258 on: May 19, 2017, 07:37:04 AM »
Those Sorcerers are incredible, especially the first one.  The colours have so much depth and vibrancy to them that the models feel almost alive when looking at them, so much so that I keep waiting for them to start moving.  Incredible painting.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1259 on: May 19, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks so much man, really appreciate the kind words. I was super burned out by the time I got to these guys, but they were so cool, that when I got to the highlighting I was inspired again. These guys are all Tabletop Plus, which means 2 stage highlights (+ basecoating and a wash of course).

As for Tabletop Plus comissions, I’m pretty sure most of the other painters get a lot of TT+. The in-studio painters in San Diego seem to do all high level stuff, like TT+ and Masterclass… even painting up Horus for Andy Chambers. Most of the workload I get is TT+ or a mix…but I do tend to get more challenging commissions. Whether it be lots of resin, or challenging paint schemes like these guys which take a ton of work, the split black and yellow Ad-Mech, the Lugganath Revenant Titan, or just lots of resin or metal. I’m probably not as fast as the other painters, but I’m steady, never missed an update or deadline and I’m consistent with my quality. I’m not the best painter, not the fastest but I’m reliable which I think the guys like :D :D :D

Yeah I do work from home which is nice. Sometimes I feel like I never get out of here! But its all good, I go to the gym every day (which I can walk to :) ) and get the blood flowing. I wish I lived out in San Diego cause I’d love to work with the guys in the studio. But its all good, I could never afford San Diego!

Anyway thanks for the great questions and the great feedback Saim-Dann! You are the man!

@Ynneadwraith- Thanks bud. Really appreciate the kind words from a hobby champion like yourself. I know I love the ibis-head backpack! That model is my favorite he’s such a weirdo!!! He was definitley my fave, with Aehriman coming in second. Never had a commission I wished was my own, but I really wish these were my models! lol. Anyway thanks so much bud I truly appreciate it!

@Irisado- Wow thanks so much Irisado. Your kind words and feedback always mean a lot to me. I know you like Thousand Sons a lot so its truly appreciated. Like I mentioned to Saim-Dann I was really running out of gas by the time I got to these models, but when I started highlighting them I got super inspired. I really hope the client likes these guys. I’m really happy to do this kind of a project for a client at the start of a new edition… I hope he has fun with them. Anyway thanks so much Irisado your feedback always means a lot to me. You are the best!