News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar/Warhammer Units and Base Type  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Age of Sigmar/Warhammer Units and Base Type
« on: October 22, 2016, 10:17:21 AM »
Do Age of Sigmar units which were previously Warhammer units still come with square bases to mount them on or have they been replaced by round ones?  I was taking a look at such units on GW's web store pages, and it seems to suggest that they do still come with square bases, but I was wondering whether anyone who has made any recent purchases could confirm this?
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Age of Sigmar/Warhammer Units and Base Type
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:36:26 AM »
I can't say for certain, as I haven't bought any recently, but the Games Workshop website still lists or shows many of the older boxes as coming with square or rectangular bases. My assumption is only the stuff that has gone through the full rebranding process and gotten their Battle Tome are on round bases. (See the Lizardmen/Seraphon as an example.)

If all else fails, you could ring up GW and ask them about specific sets.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 06:52:47 PM »
When GW releases a battletome for a faction, they update the bases in the boxes for that faction. So, some still have square bases, and some have round bases. So, unless it has a battletome, odds are it's still on squares.

Fortunately, it doesn't really effect the game all that much. Besides the fact that square bases in a skirmish game look like amphetamine parrot. All models look better on circle bases. Also, GW has their own bases you can buy at extremely aggressive prices.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 04:44:48 PM »
Not everything has been "white-boxed" yet.
It's all being gradually worked through.

Currently on round bases:

Seraphon
Beastclaw Raiders
Sylvaneth
Stormcast Eternals
Khorne Bloodbound
Slaves to Darkness
Clan Pestilens
Ironjaws
Bonesplitters
Flesheater Courts
Fyreslayers
Everchosen

Obviously all of the Daemon kits come with round bases, as they always have done for use in Warhammer: 40,000

Even if a faction hasn't been changed to rounds yet, if they have a "Start Collecting" box, the miniatures contained will be supplied with rounds.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 05:23:22 AM »
Thanks for the information everyone.

I wish there were some sort of timetable for when the boxed sets are going to be updated, as I need to buy the kits I really want before they make the changes to their bases.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 02:43:47 PM »
Irisado,

I'm hoping to re-base mine from Squares to Circles, so I can post you my most of squares.  (I'll keep some for terrain and building biker bases...)  If you're ever short give me a PM and I'll send however many you want. 

Sam
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
Thank you :).  That's a very kind offer and I may well take you up on that in the future.

In the meantime, I've been looking through the forces of death kits, and it seems as though nearly all of those still have square bases, so it looks as though I do have some time to pick the odd kit up at least.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:39:19 PM by Irisado »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 03:56:31 PM »
Why do you want square bases?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Because they're hip.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »
Why do you want square bases?

To ensure that I can use my models for games of Warhammer and  Kings of War, as well as Age of Sigmar.  Plus the fact that I have two massive armies (Empire and Vampire Counts) from collecting Warhammer for years and I have no desire to change the bases on those models.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 05:18:21 PM by Irisado »