News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Storm Guardians: Likes and Dislikes  (Read 6181 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Storm Guardians: Likes and Dislikes
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 06:57:19 AM »
Definitely specialize them. They are too fragile to risk bad rolling on a single fusion gun or a botched to-wound roll on a single flamer.

Also considering the new Harlie release I think these guys would work great with them. The Harlies can actually assault the turn they get out of their vehicle tying up a unit. They can then hit&run out to attack a new unit and the Storm Guardians can flame/assault and hopefully clean up whats left. Still situational but it'd be a good buddy unit.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #21 on: March 2, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
I still use my Storm Guardians, if only for nostalgia, and I rather like the models actually (the pony tail helmets specifically). They also make for some good variation as apposed to taking more avengers. I find myself using serpent bound Defender Guardians more now.

They aren't as good anymore since Warlocks aren't guaranteed to get destructor (I like to use them as a flamer squad). That alone would have been fine, but not being able to assault the turn the disembark really hurts. Even though they aren't really good in assault, they hit before most opponents, and could mop up fairly well after 2-3 flamer attacks. It's just not even an option anymore.

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #22 on: March 3, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »
saddest thing we lost in the newdardex. the destructorlok ! perfect for boosting storm guardians.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #23 on: March 3, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »
saddest thing we lost in the newdardex. the destructorlok ! perfect for boosting storm guardians.

Well, we didn't exactly "lose" him.  You just can't guarantee you'll have him.  If you're doing an Ulthwe-style army, you'll probably be taking more than enough warlocks to sprinkle some prime choices among your guardians. 

Offline FrozenAmethyst

• at least we're still alive, eh?
  • Armies: eldar, Space wolves, Orks
« Reply #24 on: March 3, 2015, 06:15:54 PM »
i've always had a soft spot for storm guardians. They are really good once you can get them close enough. But since eldar don't have any vehicles to assault out of they rarely performed at full potential

with the new harlequin codex now, you could ally and get them to embark in starweavers (think thats their name) first turn, move then up next turn, disembark and charge. Going with that they are certainly more of an option for player lists
bad 40k advice: Actually destroy models when they are removed from play.

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: March 4, 2015, 06:15:29 AM »
seriously st3 power swords !  needing 4's to hit and probably 6's to wound !   suppose they might work against Tau or IG ;)

And someone mentioned 'reliable' warlock powers [only conceal is a given] - rolling one dice you have a 50% chance and two gives you 75% but also the risk of dying horribly and leaving unit without the spearlock! - opponents can now also 'block' critical rolls without risk !  If youre after 'reliable' powers for a few extra point take a spirit-seer and try three dice !

'quicken' - would be great if it added to charge distances - but its for runs only,  'protect' seems useful but A4+ isnt going to overwhelm if it only affects half a dozen gruniads, and lets not mention the nerf to 'witchfire' attacks !; 'embolden' - really  - couldnt they just have added something more imaginative and given warlocks the option to 'buy' LD 10 ! - when it was a 'fixed' power you at least knew which unit/s had decent LD - and pretty much the same goes for 'enhance'. and since powers are now 'attempted' after movement you have to take a gamble on them anyway ! - buff spells should be done before movement :0

all this said i still like a storm guardian unit - two cheap fusion guns with some even cheaper ablative wounds, a spearlock and a shriek-seer - can be nasty in the right place ! :0

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #26 on: March 7, 2015, 12:08:24 PM »
i've always had a soft spot for storm guardians. They are really good once you can get them close enough. But since eldar don't have any vehicles to assault out of they rarely performed at full potential

with the new harlequin codex now, you could ally and get them to embark in starweavers (think thats their name) first turn, move then up next turn, disembark and charge. Going with that they are certainly more of an option for player lists

I'm afraid the allied harlequin vehicle thing won't work out quite like you're hoping.  Iirc, the transport capacity of a starweaver is somewhat smaller than the minimum squad size of storm guardians, so you'll only be able to embark upon it once you've taken some casualties.  In that vein, however, you can take a shadowseer with protective powers to make a storm guardian blob rather durable (especially if they have a warlock attached) and simply run them down the field.  You can also take dark eldar allies and use one of their raiders to transport a minimum sized storm guardian squad or even use that crazy double-raider rammming thing the dark eldar have from forgeworld.