News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Codexes on the way  (Read 21843 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Codexes on the way
« Reply #20 on: July 6, 2017, 07:08:03 PM »
15 pound to you guys?
40 dollars for us. 120 dollars for the three armies... on top of the 120 dollars already spent on the three indexes. 240 dollars just for rules when only half the books will be used is-not-ok!
« Last Edit: July 6, 2017, 07:09:36 PM by Saim-dann »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #21 on: July 6, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »
No I'm not.

So, when one codex is out, all the index's are invalid? The index's are going to be relevant until every specific faction gets a book. That'll take probably two years, so the books will be relevant for a while. They could be free datasheets, but I don't care. The index's are very cheap, I didn't mind spending the money to have the books.

Where's the evidence that it's going to take two years?  The codices are being released far more quickly this time around, as the news published today indicates.  Even if you are correct, GW could have made the release of eighth coincide with the earliest codices at least and published everything else as temporary free datasheets.  Such a move would have been much more honest in my opinion.

I think this is great news, I like getting new rules for the game I like to play.

So long as the gaps between paid rules releases are reasonable, I don't have a problem with it.  The problem starts when it is a requirement to pay for rules over a very short space of time, in order to be able to play.  Consider that the change from sixth to seventh happened after just two years and combine that with the latest swift turnaround in rules and it's a problem.

If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to buy the books, or to play the game.

Very true, however, that in no way invalidates my point about the actual practice that I'm commenting on.

The books are £15. In general books don't have a high profit margin. Releasing a bunch of books so that every single player can play their army for however long it takes before their Codex is released, is not some super-sneaky way of taking advantage of people and making money...

If the profit margin of the books is so insignificant, why not just upload all the rules for each unit online as was done for Age of Sigmar and just have the codices for people who want extra material, such as the background?  If, as you say, this was not a sneaky way to make more money, why was it not made transparent that the first codices would be released so quickly after the indices were published?

It would have been much better to publish all the temporary rules as free datasheets and then released the codices.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2017, 07:25:34 PM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #22 on: July 6, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »
Irisado's comment has made me think, the full codex's could be the same rules we recieved in the indexes. Just lots of fluff/pictures/painting schemes added. The rule book is like that. It's a big honk'n book with just 12 pages of rules.

If this is the case, (and we'll be watching Utube channels book reviews to make sure), I don't have a problem with it. They can sell the fluff codex's to those who want them and I'll be happy with my indexes. I truely hope this is the case. If not... hissy fits will ensue. 

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 6, 2017, 07:40:35 PM »
I'd be astonished if there are no changes in the codices, be they to power levels and points, or unit rules and stats, or a combination of both.  This process is very reminiscent of third edition, where a lot of changes were made from the army list book to the codices.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #24 on: July 6, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »
G'day Irisado!
I figure the same, mate. Was just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't like the emotions this news evoked within. Have no intention of feeling like this for the months it will take for us to review the codex's.

So for now, as far as I'm concerned, there's a 50/50 chance of it being the same rules just extra fluff. Like the rule book, Irisado. There's no difference to the rules in the book or the free download... Fingers crossed hey?   

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #25 on: July 6, 2017, 08:43:48 PM »
GW said on their community page all the major codexes would be released around well over a year so close to two years sounds reasonable. The same release also mentioned new material to spend command points and warlord jazz, psychic powers, the usual stuff. So not just an adjusted repeat of the index material with fluffy stuff attached.

Lori - You can not tell me, especially you, that GW doesn't have a publication schedule in action for the next 3-12 months as standard. *They knew* how soon codexes would come after the release date. June is usually new edition month so that's easy. After that is their choice. It's not a devious scheme, it's bad pool and doesn't inspire the level of trust they've been asking recently. One notification (not on beslubbering Facebook) that "marines will be first in July-August" and we wouldn't be making these frowny faces.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #26 on: July 6, 2017, 10:27:48 PM »
This certainly sounds like a money grab to me. Don't like your seventh edition codex? Try one of the three or five supplements we will release over the next year. You're not happy with your army? Well you're in luck, all those supplements you sunk your money into just to get formations last year is now obsolete in the new edition and guess what? Those formations you asked for don't exist anymore. I might bet my lucky squig that the first new codex is going to have something very much the same as a formation, just called something differently.

With what I bought, I now have new rules for every army I play or may play. That's it. I'm out. You want to try selling me something else now? You can't have my money.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #27 on: July 6, 2017, 11:03:43 PM »
This certainly sounds like a money grab to me. Don't like your seventh edition codex? Try one of the three or five supplements we will release over the next year. You're not happy with your army? Well you're in luck, all those supplements you sunk your money into just to get formations last year is now obsolete in the new edition and guess what? Those formations you asked for don't exist anymore. I might bet my lucky squig that the first new codex is going to have something very much the same as a formation, just called something differently.

With what I bought, I now have new rules for every army I play or may play. That's it. I'm out. You want to try selling me something else now? You can't have my money.

They did offer full refunds for folks who bought 7th edition codex's 8 months before launch. They didn't need to do that.

The story in all the suppliments books are key parts of the new 40k lore. The rules were a fun bonus, and all the scenarios are still fully usuable.

Also, you can still play any of the formations with the detachments in 8th, just no free rules, which is not a bad thing.

« Last Edit: July 6, 2017, 11:07:01 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #28 on: July 7, 2017, 04:47:33 AM »
I'm happy to have indexes that will be replaced.

If you think back to the Black codex era, There was a long period of crossover from one edition to the other. Meaning Erata, Poor rules, Rules that didn't work, And models that made no sense.

This edition is so radically different that the previous books are obsolete and don't offer any rules that make sense in the new edition. I don't see it as a money grab at all, It's actually a kindness. They have come up with a way to include everyone in the new rules. They kept production costs low, soft cover, Very limited fluff, limited image printing.

The other thing I thing is for a small amount of money you now have the option to buy 4 books and have a total overview of all armies in the warhammer 40K universe. For this reason the indexes will still be relevant all the way up to the exit of this edition. Granted the rules will have moved on a little, but the core and feel of the units, the function and wargear, and how they operate on a battlefield will for most core units be very close to the Codex spec.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #29 on: July 7, 2017, 04:52:42 AM »
Indices don't get made obsolete by Codices. The Codex will just offer extra options and upgrades (and maybe a few rule/point tweaks, yes). Again, look at AoS as an example; Battletomes have not made the Grand Alliance books or the Legacy Compendiums obsolete.

In the end, every publication is an option and is just giving you different ways to play. People complained about 'bloat' in 7th and the dozens of books you needed to play- these were all just options, very little was needed or required.
Make your choices about your involvment with your own hobby. You're never being forced into buying anything. I mean look at Iri, must have been 20 years since you've bought new minis eh? ;) Pretty much an irrelevance to the hobby as a whole, but you do you.

Grim, yes there is a publication schedule. And it is subject to change at short notice. 8th Edition was put back a month or 2 to put it into the new financial year. Which is why May was devoid of releases and now everything is crammed together in a short space of time.

This edition is so radically different that the previous books are obsolete and don't offer any rules that make sense in the new edition. I don't see it as a money grab at all, It's actually a kindness. They have come up with a way to include everyone in the new rules. They kept production costs low, soft cover, Very limited fluff, limited image printing.

This!
« Last Edit: July 7, 2017, 04:56:12 AM by Lorizael »

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #30 on: July 7, 2017, 04:55:51 AM »
It wasn't months though, weeks  ;)

And the "story" in the Gathering Storm was so poorly written, I didn't even bother finish reading them.

When you release Indexes, knowing they'll be obsolete within a couple of months, the money-grab accusation is valid. I was hoping GW would take the time to hear what people have to say about the Indexes and (especially) point values. There are a lot of units/wargear with very strange point costs and I'm afraid we wont see them fixed (see Interceptor Squads, VWSB...) leaving us with "dead" codex entries AGAIN.

I'd certainly be pissed of if I payed Aussie-Dollars for these books. It's beyond me how people can afford to play the game down there.  :o
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 7, 2017, 05:42:39 AM »
GW said on their community page all the major codexes would be released around well over a year so close to two years sounds reasonable.

Thanks for this.  It is reasonable to conclude that two years will probably be the time period in that case.  I took a look at the time taken to release all the third edition codices, since this was the last time that there was such a big shake up, and while the majority was released in less than two years, a few did take two years to come out or a little longer.

The same release also mentioned new material to spend command points and warlord jazz, psychic powers, the usual stuff. So not just an adjusted repeat of the index material with fluffy stuff attached.

Exactly.  There will be changes and I would be surprised if the alterations do not go further than this.

Indices don't get made obsolete by Codices. The Codex will just offer extra options and upgrades (and maybe a few rule/point tweaks, yes). Again, look at AoS as an example; Battletomes have not made the Grand Alliance books or the Legacy Compendiums obsolete.

In the end, every publication is an option and is just giving you different ways to play. People complained about 'bloat' in 7th and the dozens of books you needed to play- these were all just options, very little was needed or required.
Make your choices about your involvment with your own hobby. You're never being forced into buying anything.

If the rules tweaks make significant internal balance improvements or adjustments to units to tone them down or enhance them though, it becomes very undesirable to play with the original rules.  Based on previous evidence, GW will make enough changes in the right areas to make it very difficult for players to stuck with the rules in the index books.

The argument that every publication is an option only goes so far.  For it to be valid, it assumes that everyone who you play against has the same approach to the game as you do.  In view of the diverse nature of players even within small gaming groups, this is unlikely, so unless you only have one opponent who shares your beliefs and philosophy about the game, you end up being sucked into the bloated book and rules environment, in order to be able to play, even if you, as an individual, do not choose to buy any of this material yourself.

Simply looking through army lists on the forum during seventh edition highlighted how much of a problem this was.  Even if I had been playing, there was no way I could review the majority of lists posted because so many formations and army types came from sources that I knew nothing about.  In the past, players would be choosing standard army lists from a single codex in the vast majority of cases.  That was simple and straightforward.  Seventh edition torpedoed this approach once and for all, and the issue with eighth is that if there are going to players using index rules, codex rules, and then other rules on top of that, such as Forgeworld, all combined with different army/mission design types (e.g. Dawn of War and Maelstrom) there is still going to be a significant amount of bloating and confusion, at least for me.

So, faced with all of this, say I were hypothetically to go down to Warhammer World to try to get a game, what am I actually going to be playing?  Which rules is my opponent going to use?  What's the mission going to be?  How is their list constructed?  Do I need to select the same methods for the game to be within the rules, valid, or fair?

At least if GW had said here are the index rules for everyone for free which will be replaced by codices in due course it would have been clear and everyone would have been operating to the same set of parameters of the armies at least.  I am still waiting for an answer as to why they couldn't adopt this approach.  That way, I'd have no problem with them charging for codices and releasing them so soon after the indices being published.  GW knows its own publication schedule, they knew that at least some of the codices would be released very quickly, so charging for indices, some of which are very quickly going to be superseded, is, in my view devious.  If devious is too strong, it's a very calculated move if nothing else.

I know that your argument is that the indices are not being replaced and that the codices are an alternative, but I refer you back to my point above about this.  I have serious misgivings about this whole process and the lack of transparency accompanying it.  I'm lucky, in that I haven't bought any of the indices, so I haven't lost out, but I feel bad for those who have lost out. GW knew exactly what they were doing and they didn't have to do it this way.

I mean look at Iri, must have been 20 years since you've bought new minis eh? ;) Pretty much an irrelevance to the hobby as a whole, but you do you.

This is why you must never be put in charge of auditing :P.  A friend bought me a Zombie Dragon a couple of years ago and I bought quite a few Eldar models for sixth edition, as well as some Daemons and Thousand Sons.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2017, 08:01:41 AM by Irisado »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #32 on: July 7, 2017, 06:29:04 AM »
G'day Katamari!
Thanks for the empathy for the Aussies, mate. Yes it can be a struggle. Am betting we have smaller numbers of armies here.

Hi Isisado!
No; your first thought of, "devious", was the right call.

1:If the index's were for us to play test so they could iron the bugs out for the codex's, then I agree with you. Our play testing will be improving their profit margin so we should have been given the index's for free. (I'm sure you read the all out cost to Oz in my above reply).   

2:If giving out the index's for free wasn't in their budget, then at least a heads up as to what they had planned would have been showing more respect to their customers.

3:Changing the rules/points in the slightest makes the index's redundant. We can't see what we're face by browsing through the rules of our competitor's index if the rules are different to their codex.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2017, 06:34:23 AM by Saim-dann »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #33 on: July 7, 2017, 08:15:22 AM »
I used to find it hard to believe that a company that has been developing rules for more than twenty years would make so many typos and need so many revisions for books that they spend months developing. I thought it was ludicrous that an index would need corrections in an faq release so shortly after release, especially since they've been bragging about how many experts have been play-testing these rules for months. Until this news came out.

The rule writers at GW are either incredibly incompetent or they know exactly what they are doing. Ever topic I've read on this forum that is titled "this unit is dead" the discussion always revolves around, why did they change the rules to make this unit unplayable, when they had so many top level tournament organizers play test the rules for months. This has been seen time and again by this company. GW has always been less concerned with balance of the game than with selling miniatures. Every rule edition and every new codex that comes out is designed to shift players to less desired armies, forcing those that play and want at least the chance to win the need to start new armies. It's also designed to bring old players back to the fold by making their traditional armies playable again. It's no mistake that orks, guard, and nids are now very playable armies, while eldar and tau are much less so. Yes, I'll hear the argument that we just haven't cracked the new code for these armies and they will be dominant again, but that does not explain the obvious nerfs to what made these armies playable in the first place.

I have absolutely no qualms about GWs trying to strengthen some armies to make them more popular and desirable, but when they intentionally flub a rule or a unit to sway people away from a once popular army and force them to take up another if they wish to even have a chance at being somewhat competitive with your opponent, this I have a problem with.

You cannot brag about how much development and play-testing went into a game and then deliver a product with obvious flaws to the once powerful armies, release faq changes mere weeks after, and then days after that broadcast that everything will be fixed once your codex comes out in the next few months. Again I say, either gross incompetence or calculated decision. I am leaning towards the later.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #34 on: July 7, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »
Folks just like to look on the negative side of things, rather then look for any positive.

I've been playing a lot of games of 8th, against a variety of armies. For the first time in a long time (probably 3rd edition), each army feels viable. I've had tough games against eldar, grey knights, and everything in between.

Folks complain that eldar and tau are 'nerfed' as you can't just net list the books anymore. For good reason. Units like riptides and windriders needed to be toned down, for the health of the game. Neither unit is unplayable either. Scatter bikes still put out a punishing wealth of fire, and riptides (although now no longer able to kill a whole army single handedly), are as tough as a landraider and still put out very good firepower.

The change to 8th has been fantastic for the health of the game, all the factions will be seen on tables again (in all levels of play). The game is way easier to play, and games are now a lot shorter and more decisive. I find it really hard to see this as anything but a positive change from 7th.

Also, the system of index's to codex's is the exact same process Age of Sigmar is going through, and it's working great for that game.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 7, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
Indices don't get made obsolete by Codices.

From: Codexes: Your Questions Answered – Warhammer Community

What’s the difference between a codex and an index book?
The indexes let you play with your Warhammer 40,000 army until the codex for your faction is released. The idea being that the rules for units in codexes eventually supersede the rules for them presented in the index books.

So yeah, nah. I know you could always choose to play index armies in the same way I could still choose to play Rogue Trader. Doesn't help with competitive play. There was a deliberate communication breakdown here.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #36 on: July 7, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »
I heard a story of a guy at my game store who was pirating the Space Marines index this whole time. Now he feels justified continuing to do so until the codex comes out.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 7, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »
Nah, that's still uncool.  ;)

This is in that two wrongs category of things.
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Ancient
« Reply #38 on: July 7, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
Nah, that's still uncool.  ;)

This is in that two wrongs category of things.

I don't mind pirated copies and stuff, but at least print it out, or use a tablet. I have little patience for people who try to read pirated rules off their phone.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #39 on: July 7, 2017, 04:37:19 PM »
@Killersquid- I hear ya bud. While I am slightly irritated with the quickness of the codex release, I'll take this approach 10 times out of 10 over what we had previously. I don't think its anything devious myself... the new GW is trying to remedy its reputation and IMO are doing a brilliant job.

Despite being bugged SLIGHTLY that they are coming out so quick... I gotta admit I'm hyped to see whats coming.

I had this weird feeling after the game + indices dropped where my hype completley dissipated... and I was wondering why. Then it struck me... I was missing out on that old school anticipation of the codices and all the new stuff that accompanies them. So I'm pumped to see whats coming now that I've thought about it for awhile and I'm wondering if their will be unique army stratagems and all the rest...

Plus the things have not been FAQ'd will probably be addressed in the codices and I'm wondering what all that'll be like.

I'm still over the moon positive about everything, despite the quickness of the codices
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/