News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Who was Space Marine wargear originally made for?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Who was Space Marine wargear originally made for?
« on: November 4, 2014, 06:44:26 PM »
This is a thought that just occurred to me.  Space Marines use equipment that long predates their creation right?  The Land Speeder, Raider, Rhino etc existed long before they came along right, along with their bikes no doubt as well.  And these bikes are way too big for a normal human to ride, and the Speeder is said to be far too maneuverable for a normal human to use to its full potential, right?  Well then, who were they originally built for?

Now a dull answer might be that they were still made for ordinary humans (maybe the Mechanicus scaled the bikes up), but I think that a more interesting answer, even if it's total bullamphetamine parrot, is that these machines were originally built to be used by the Iron Men.  That I think would be very cool indeed.  Some of the machines used today by humanity's ultimate defenders were once used against them by one of their biggest threats.  8)

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: Who was Space Marine wargear originally made for?
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2014, 04:11:52 AM »
Erm...  No?  Most of their technology was built for them during the unification wars...  Does further research... Hang on you may be onto something...  Good question...
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2014, 03:07:37 PM »
Erm...  No?  Most of their technology was built for them during the unification wars...  Does further research... Hang on you may be onto something...  Good question...

I think you may be thinking about the power armor and boltguns, both of which where developed during the Unification Wars (by the Emperor I think).

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
The STC for grav-plates, land speeders and similar equipment existed before Space Marines however the design was modified by the Mechanicum to suit the legions as STC was uncovered. Originally land speeders were common in the Imperial Army too, we just have to assume that they were less capable of the extreme manoeuvres Space Marines are able to perform. We do not have a clear picture of how STC works nor exactly how the Mechanicum sanctionised or the Adeptus Mechanicus sanctionise change to them. We do know STC of different origin can have different designs for the same basic unit and that futher changes are made by the Adeptus Mechanicus but other than that it is to the interpreter.