News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Snakebite Ork Boarboyz  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Snakebite Ork Boarboyz
« on: February 19, 2018, 03:30:00 AM »
G'day Ork players!
Found this on E-bay, still in its wrapper. Is it a collectible?

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27867936_542632869427218_1918634611135261341_n.jpg?oh=d698d21f1816d791b88a153ca2bc1ab7&oe=5B2154AB

Image tags removed to avoid hotlinking - Iris.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:37:32 AM by Irisado »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Snakebite Ork Boarboyz
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:54:44 AM »
Boarboyz? Wow, that takes me back!

The short answer is "no." There are no existing rules for Boarboyz as I recall, and GW seems to politely pretend they were never a thing.

The long answer is "maybe." You might be able to proxy them as something--Stormboyz, maybe, or perhaps bikes (though they don't have the guns).

The last option would be to write up your own custom datasheet for them and see if people let you use them. Boarboyz used to move pretty fast and have a nasty charge. I'd probably give them a boosted toughness, the same terrible ork save, 2 wounds, and maybe a 12" move or something. Let them get a +1 Str on the charge or so and give them all +1 attack (for the boar). Can't see too many people complaining about that. 

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
G'day, Wyddr!
Thanks for that, mate. I don't actually play Orks. Just bought it as a nostalgic piece and thought, as it is still in its plastic wrapper, it might be worth something down the road.

If I ever did play them, they would just be proxied bikes. They sure do bring back a lot of memories though, don't they?... Thanks again for the reply!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
G'day Ork players!
Found this on E-bay, still in its wrapper. Is it a collectible?

Depends if by collectible you actually mean valuable.

GW currently make Orruk Boarboys so someone might like these just for old times sake but because GW already make Orruk Boarboys nobody will pay more than retail for them.

As for collectible that is a bit trickier to answer. People do collect GW stuff and the fact that the Boarboyz are now out of print makes them rare. Rare and collectible don't necessarily go hand in hand though. I would guess that the serious GW collectors already have Boarboyz and as Wyddr has said a modern player is less likely to want them.

Check THIS post out for info on the potential value of old models
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:13:40 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
Thank you, Alienscar!
Just popped the boyz up there now. We'll see what happens... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:49:28 AM »
My bad Saim-dann I didn't mean for you to post in that thread I just meant for you to read it and work out for yourself what the Boarboyz are worth. I doubt Rasmus will respond as he hasn't posted on this site since mid 2016.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:30:43 AM »
not your fault at all, mate. I should have been looking at the dates. It was an interesting read and who knows. My post may have him shake off the dust and cobwebs to return to the forum.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 01:04:44 PM »
I don't think the kit will have any real value. Especially, as there are no rules to use them in game anymore. It's nostalgic, but that's about all. There are a few miniatures which people flock too, but boar boys won't be one of them.

The kits people really look for, are old pewter kits of existing models. Old pewter obliterators, Necrons, Tyranids, Daemonettes.. stuff like that.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »
Thanks, Killersquid!
Will keep an eye out. Back in 2nd ed, I had a squad of the Rogue Trader marines. Wish I knew what I had. Gave them to some kids my Daughter new and haven't seen them since... Doh!