News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ulthwé Brigade 2K with new codex  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Ulthwé Brigade 2K with new codex
« on: October 28, 2017, 10:22:55 AM »
Ulthwé Brigade

HQ
Autarch 71p (Warlord, Fate reader)
-Star glaive, Foalchu's-Wing.
Farseer 100p [Doom, Executioner]
Spiritseer 45p [Quicken/Restrain]

Troops
5x Dire Avengers 64p
-Dual catapults.
5x Dire Avengers 64p
-Dual catapults.
10x Guardians 95p
-Anti-grav platform with shuriken cannon.
8x Stormies 56p
6x Rangers 72p
5x Rangers 60p

Elites
10x Howling Banshees 133p
-Executioner.
10x Striking Scorpions 152p
-Scorpions Claw.
5x Fire Dragons 123p
-Firepike.

Fast
5x Warp Spiders 102p
-Power blades, dual death spinners.
5x Swooping Hawks 65p
3x Shining Spears 95p
-Starlance.

Heavy
6x Dark Reapers 165p
-Aeldari missile launcher.
War Walker 90p
-2x Brightlance.
War Walker 90p
-2x Brightlance.
War Walker 90p
-2x Brightlance.

Transport
Wave Serpent 134p
- 2+1 Shuriken cannons.
Wave Serpent 134p
- 2+1 Shuriken cannons.

2000p
12CP

Now this list was originally meant to biel-tan, but then I wanted to try out the CP-recycling.

The tactic is that the Farseer takes point and dooms the most prioritized target every turn, unless there is a target that needs mortal wounds on it ASAP.

The Autarch will stay back and improve the to-hit chances with his aura, either boosting Reapers, Hawks or Walkers depending on what kind of firepower is needed.

Warlock runs up into the fray herding the banshees in front of him for hopefully a turn 1 charge. Stormies and Guardians will follow and to some degree protect the flanks, but also to avoid deepstrikers.

Rangers will be homefield objective campers.

Scorpions will drop down near a target in cover and try to assault it immediately, whenever such an opportunity arises otherwise they will try to aid the banshees.

Warp spiders & shining spears will always be in reserves while the Hawks may be set up on the table if I go first to improve the alpha strike, by for example mowing down units that are only there as cannon fodder around characters.

War walkers follow the same route as the Hawks but will instead shoot tanks and other biggies.

As for the wave serpents 5 avengers and the fire dragons will cuddle up in one of them, moving them down the field attacking where needed while the other serpent will contains both reaper units and the other avengers, to avoid reapers getting shot down turn 1 and will have a more defensive role. Spiritstones are no longer needed due to Ulthwé :)

That's about it, not sure about the relics yet though.
There are some odd exarch option (and BTW all aspect units have exarchs) but that is mostly to stay WYSIWIG, I can change them, if there is a good enough reason.

So what are your thoughts, should I go back to Biel-Tan or should I use some other formations and merge the troop nits into bigger ones?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:39:49 AM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Re: Ulthwé Brigade 2K with new codex
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »
Hi Fenris! :)

I think Farseer Skyrunner is 135 - you probably forgot to add the cost of dual shuricats.

EDIT:
That's a cool list overall. I'd definitely stick to Brigade, as having a ton of CP is great for CWE now - with so many great stratagems I can easily see myself spending up to 3-4 CP per turn.
From practical standpoint, Biel-tan trait is definitely of little use here - not enough shuriken weaponry to benefit from it. I'd stay Ulthwe.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 06:26:03 PM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:52:06 PM »
You are correct, I did forget the skyrunners catapults, I was tinkering the points back and forth and forgot this, I'll ditch the guardians platform and upgrade the warlock to a spiritseer then. This should give me a proper smite and extra wounds, and I could still give those guardians a 4++ if needed. :)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:54:01 PM by Fenris »

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »
Upgrading warlock to a spiritseer would prevent you from using the "Seer Council" stratagem, which imho is a really cool one and is very fluffy for Ulthwe. But otherwise it's a solid choice.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
I tried this list today with a small adjustment, pistol instead of gun for the Autarch a warlock rather than spiritseer, added back the shuriken cannon platform and got an AML for one of the reaper exarches.

I forgot taking a relic, but I utterly stomped a deathwatch list, with the Hawks, Scorpions, Spiders and one unit of  rangers still undeployed.

I was rolling like a god with CP recycling, still had 10 left after using 8, by the end of turn 2.
Banshees made a turn 1 charge with a little help from quicken, while the shining spears made it on their own.
Those 6+++ were not bad either.

Tomorrow I'll be facing orks.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 09:09:27 AM »
To be honest, Deathwatch are not a particularly strong army at the moment - but still, it's good to hear that the list is performing well. Looking forward to hearing your experience with Orks! Those can be mean :)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
I took a look at the deathwatch codex afterwards, and they are seriously overcosted.

Concerning the Orks I think my army was quite balanced, but I did 2 tactical errors, allowed him to use Da Jump to get close to my reapers, and then did not deploy my reserves sooner.
The game was close but I was slowly loosing, but I got Lucky with the mission cards so at the end of turn 5 we both had 12 victory points and slay the warlord when the game was over.
All that was standing was 1 ranger, 1 scorpion exarch, 8 storm guardians and a serpent with 4 wounds left, orks had 1 burnaboy 18 choppa boys and 5 grot artillery with 2 of them only with 1 wound left.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #7 on: November 1, 2017, 04:52:25 AM »
Sounds like a great game! :)

Any thoughts on what you might want to change in the list so far?

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #8 on: November 1, 2017, 05:54:57 AM »
I just updated the list with some small modifications, dropped a couple of hawks due to I lost the exarch to morale because the dakkajet killed 8 hawks just after they arrived.
This paid for some upgrades here and there.
I'm not entirely sold on the relics yet, phoenix gem on the Autarch would be nice too.
The idea with the ghosthelm of alishazier is that it helps getting more mortal wounds from smite but also combines well with the stratagem "unparallelled mastery".

This since I cast doom first then smite, so I almost always get smite off, which is required for the stratagem. However if I want to cast 3 powers maybe I should just grab Eldrad instead?

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #9 on: November 1, 2017, 06:06:02 AM »
Well, imho, to play an infantry-based Ulthwe force and not use Eldrad is a waste :) Even just repeatedly getting off the combo of Doom + Smite + Executioner is quite deadly, and he's the right guy to make use of powers like Will of Asurian (which is actually great now, I'd take it over Guide any day) or even Mind War.

Offline Bego

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #10 on: November 1, 2017, 10:06:36 AM »
Must admit I also struggle to choose between a Farseer Skyrunner and Eldrad. Eldrad is a beast, but the Skyrunner is so much more mobile often leading to better placed powers that it's hard to decide.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #11 on: November 2, 2017, 06:52:17 AM »
I miscalculated the points of the hawks (again) and actually had 7 more points so with these and dropping the AML on the reaper exarch I could fit Eldrad. While Eldrad is old and slow, I can potentially cast quicken on him to get him where he needs to be.

While will of asuryan is easy to cast, I don't think I will need it that much for morale, nor have I had any concern other than range for denying the witches.
Guide is of course also of little use just as fortune, so there is only Mind War left, and it can under the right circumstances be deadly, even though I don't have any LD de-buffs.

I also noted that the Ulthwé attribute is not entirely wasted on eldrad, because the ghosthelm does not work against normal wounds AFAIK.

EDIT: I've also reconsidered the deployment, since I am likely to go second (even if I managed to cease in both my games so far)

I will try to deploy something like this:
______________<-fray/front
BBbBBBBBqQQQQQ
B WS SsS   WS Q
B WS WEA WS q
GGGGGGPGGGG
|<-less than 9" between guardians and table edge to prevent drops.
|__________<-table edge

B = howling banshee
b = howling banshee exarch
Q = Storm guardians
q = storm guardians with flamers
WS
WS
= Wave serpent
S = Shining spear
s = Shining spear exarch
W = warlock
E = Eldrad
A = Autarch
G = Guardian
P = anti-grav platform

One serpent contains Fire dragons and Avengers while the other contains reapers and avengers, the remaining units will arrive turn one by various means. This should give me 9 units on the table (not counting the embarked 5 units) and 6 units in reserves.

Thoughts?

Edit: I've redone the list a bit, got a normal farseer now, and the Autarch will be on foot with only the F-wing. I went for spiritseer because it has normal smite and has more wounds. I also do not think the seer council stratagem is worth it without more psykers or other buffs in the list.

Reapers have been joined to benefit from forewarned, while the walkers have been split up so the wounds they receive won't spill over, they still et the same buff when staying close to the Autarch, I also get the possibility of outflanking one or two of them instead of all or nothing. You might also have noticed I managed to cram in a third war walker.

The 11th ranger is just a points filler, so if you have any ideas of where else to put them, please tell. :)

I'd also like to point out some neat combos that can be done with this list:

Doom from the black guardians:
Guardians can deploy through the webway, arriving in nice rang of a target, preferrably a doomed target, then make them hit on 2+ with the stratagem. If the Autarch can join in, they will land even more hits. (that's 7 dead MEQ not counting the cannon)
When retaliated upon they can then cast a celestial shield, which in combination with the Ulthwé 6+++ makes them quite sturdy.

Banshee pummeling:
If the spiritseer manages to cast quicken on them, they are likely to make a first turn charge, 16 +2D6 +2d6+3 = 33". This will allow shining spears and/or scorpions to join in unmolested from overwatch. In some cases it might be neat to just have the warp spiders join them, this way removing models from the back of the unit can be prevented if they can get into a pincher formation. Banshees are also a great target for the feigned retreat, should say the scorpions fail to join them in melee.

Not so invulnerable:
If facing a unit who's main defence is invulnerable saves, which makes a lot of eldars penetrating nature of weapons useless. Say necron wraiths, seer council, harlequins, chaos daemons etc.
Except for using snipers, serpent shield and smite, I can just throw in the scorpions and the hawks.
Both these units can deal mortal wounds, and can then stack a bunch of AP0 wounds on them.

Tanks are not welcome:
The main anti-tank is actually the fire dragons, they should be able to smoke any vehicle in range, they will of course be backed up from the walkers, but walkers tend to not survive past turn 2, neither does the fire dragons once they are out of their serpent.
This is why fire dragons and shining spears need to get into a canon rhythm, with fire dragons smoking the transport and the spears attacking the contents,or simply finishing off a vehicle or monster. Dark reapers can of course join the party but their main target should be multiwound units, anti-tank or anti-monster is secondary.

I'm currently considering Will of Asuryan over Executioner though, as it can help the reapers which the farseer should stay close to anyway, or even the guardians. It could also be good for achieving a couple of the tactical objectives.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:45:57 AM by Fenris »