News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar vs Space Marines 1500 pts  (Read 185 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Eldar vs Space Marines 1500 pts
« on: September 10, 2017, 06:17:20 AM »
Faced off against Kingsley using my Eldar. We played Matched Play at 1,500 pts. We both brought some new models to the field for this Maelstrom of War game.

Army Lists

Blazinghand's List

1 BATTALION detachment of Eldar - (6 CP)
++HQ++
Farseer with Guide, Doom, Witchblade
Warlock with Conceal/Reveal, Witchblade
Warlock with Embolden/Horrify, Witchblade
++ELITES++
5 Fire Dragons, 1 is Exarch with DB Flamer
5 Fire Dragons, 1 is Exarch with DB Flamer
++TROOPS++
10 Defender Guardians with a Bright Lance platform
11 Defender Guardians with a Shuriken Cannon platform
++HEAVY SUPPORT++
3 Dark Reapers, 1 is Exarch with Aeldari Missile Launcher
3 Dark Reapers, 1 is Exarch with Aeldari Missile Launcher
++DEDICATED TRANSPORT++
Wave Serpent with Twin Shuriken Cannons, Shuriken Cannon
Wave Serpent with Twin Shuriken Cannons, Shuriken Cannon
Wave Serpent with Twin Bright Lances, Shuriken Cannon

Kingsley's List

1 BATTALION and 1 AIR WING detachment of Adeptus Astartes (7 CP)
++HQ++
Captain with Power Axe, Storm Bolter
Lieutenant with Power Sword, Storm Bolter
++ELITES++
Dread with 2 Twin Autocannons
++TROOPS++
5 Tac Marines, Plasma gun, Sergeant with Combi Plas + Chainsword
5 Tac Marines, Plasma gun, Sergeant with Combi Plas + Chainsword
5 Scouts with Bolters, Sergeant has Chainsword + Bolt Pistol
++HEAVY SUPPORT++
5 Devs, 2 Lascannons, Sergeant has storm bolter, armorium cherub
5 Devs, 2 Lascannons, Sergeant has storm bolter, armorium cherub
++DEDICATED TRANSPORT++
Razorback with Lascannon, 2 Plasma guns, Storm Bolter
Razorback with Twin Assault Cannon, Storm Bolter
++FLYER++
Stormtalon Gunship with Twin Assault Cannon, 2 Heavy Bolters
Stormtalon Gunship with Twin Assault Cannon, 2 Heavy Bolters
Stormhawk Interceptor with Twin Assault Cannon, 2 Heavy Bolters, Las-Talon

--

We rolled Maelstrom of war, with the Deadlock mission, starting with many Tactical Objectives and losing them over time. We deployed our objectives, with them spread evenly throughout the center area of the map. For deployment, we rolled Spearhead Assault, which has each of us taking a short table edge with a chevron-shaped deployment zone with the points 18 inches nose to nose.

I deployed my guardians, Farseer, and Warlock to one side of the building, and started the wave serpents up top, two containing both 5 Fire Dragons + 3 Dark Reapers, and one containing a squad of Guardians.

Kingsley started his Devs atop a building, his vehicles alongside or behind it, and his scouts hidden to the side of the map.

We roll off for first turn, with me getting +1 due to finishing deployment first. Kingsley wins.

--

Top of Turn 1: Space Marines

Kingsley advances his transports and fliers. His Devs remain stationary, and (prior to Razors moving) his Captain and Lieutenant hop out and climb onto a ledge where they can reach both the Devs and the two Razorbacks with their auras.

Kingsley's Devs fail to do serious damage to my Wave Serpents, but his fliers unload on the Guardians, doing significant damage to the clump of them. What few remain end up getting picked off by Morale.

Bottom of Turn 1: Eldar

What remains of the foot moves up, with the wave serpents disgorge the Dark Reapers, then move up, getting into position to release their remaining contents at the Marines next turn. Warlocks, now somewhat less useful without infantry to buff, form up behind the Farseer to protect from fly-by shooting at characters.

Farseer guides Dark Reapers and Dooms a Razorback. Shooting from the Dark Reapers does some damage to the Stormtalon, and shooting from other sources scratched the paint on a Razor.

Top of Turn 2: Space Marines

Kingsley's fliers fly over my models, and his infantry disembark from the razorbacks. Scouts come out and run towards an objective.

Mass assault cannon and heavy bolter fire picks off my 6 Dark Reapers and remaining guardians. Lascannons from the Devs and heavy weapons from the rest of the army crack open the front wave serpent, and a mixture of plasma, bolter fire, and assault cannon shots pick off the fire dragons that emerge from the wreck. One warlock is also picked off.

Scouts charge to get in a Tactical Objective. They and the vehicle fail to damage each other.

Bottom of Turn 2: Eldar

Guardians and Fire Dragons disembark and advance, with Wave Serpents and Pyskers coming up behind them. At this point, the game is likely lost, but I want to see how things play out with these remaining units and get an idea for their combat effectiveness. I position them close enough that the Fire Dragon Exarch can lob a Meltabomb instead of shooting his DB Flamer if needed.

Fire Dragons crack open a Razorback with ease, and Guardians take down a 5-man squad with a similar level of ease. Psykers helped, which was nice, but fire support from the Wave Serpents basically whiffed this turn. Not bad!

Top of Turn 3: Space Marines

Kingsley brings his scouts and air units to bear, and moves his remaining tactical marines squad up a building to get to an objective. Lascannons bring down a wave serpent, and heavy bolter + assault cannon + storm bolter fire clean up the Fire Dragons (with some difficulty! rolled a lot of saves) and most of the guardians. Another warlock is picked off.

Scouts and a Razor charge in to finish off the Guardians.

After the morale phase, the only models left on the Eldar side are a Wave Serpent and a solitary Farseer. I concede at this point.

Final Tally:

Blazinghand Concedes!

--

Some key learnings:
I needed to put more and earlier shots on those Devs, the 4 lascannons eventually did work on the Wave Serpents.
Also, running like 30 guardians doesn't seem to work in the event the enemy packs anti-infantry and also gets to go first. Conceal and Embolden don't do much for you if most of your Guardians die before you can cast them.
Without hard to hit, and at low leadership, they didn't stand much of a chance. Kingsley would leave 2-3 alive and reasonably expect them to die to Morale
Probably need a more durable/reliable foot element, though it's hard to say what that is at this point. Dire Avengers seem like a nice idea, but given their costs I might as well just take 2 Guardians instead of a DA.
When the Guardians in the Serpent actually got to jump out and shoot, they were able to earn back their points. Same for the Fire Dragons, so that's something.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:46:37 AM by Blazinghand »
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | I killed Dayan and all I got was this stupid rock...
  • Global Moderator
  • Soņando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Globals do not play 40K
Re: Eldar vs Space Marines 1500 pts
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:58:22 AM »
That was a tough match-up for your army.  It was always going to be difficult to keep your units alive against all those Assault Cannons and heavy weapons.  Once your attack hit home it did significant damage, but you'd lost too many units too early to be able to break through the Marines.

The other observation that I would make was that there wasn't a great deal of cover on that board.  That also made it very difficult to keep your infantry alive.  Under the circumstances, I think that you did as well as you could.

Thanks for the report :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »
Nice report, Blazinghand! Thanks!

The other observation that I would make was that there wasn't a great deal of cover on that board.  That also made it very difficult to keep your infantry alive.  Under the circumstances, I think that you did as well as you could.

I've been finding that cover is of relatively indifferent use for light infantry. Going from a 5+ to a 4+ save is okay when you can get it, but given the number of dedicated anti-infantry weapons sporting AP -1, it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference in the end. LOS blocking stuff is where it's at.

I would think larger groups of guardians would pay off better if you're running them on foot. 20 guys with a pair of platforms (you can do that, right?) would be much better. Of course, you'd have to trade off elsewhere if you still wanted to mount a battalion.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | I killed Dayan and all I got was this stupid rock...
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:17:08 AM »
Line of sight blocking terrain is definitely preferable and your point about cover not being as big a factor now that the rules have reverted to modifying saves is certainly true.  It still remains the best option to cling to cover if there's not enough line of slight blocking terrain around though.

Large squads of Guardians are simply too unwieldy in my experience.  They are impossible to keep in cover and hard to block line of sight to as well.  As a result, I've never found the extra models to be of much help in terms of increasing their durability.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:27:31 PM »
I wonder if I should have deployed them behind the red building to begin with, maybe with Fire Dragon Wave Serpents nearby enough that if he brought his flyers around the building or over it, they'd come in range of a Turn 1 Fire Dragon disembark. Part of the problem was the red building was very wide/deep and right at the tip of the deployment zone chevron for me, making it hard to figure out where to put the guardians.

I lost 21 Guardians to turn 1 shooting. They were making saves at 6+ due to the AP of enemy weapons, if they were in cover they'd be making saves at 5+, which probably would have saved 4 or 5 of them, maybe enough to tide them through morale without losing any of the Bright Lances.

At the end of Turn 1 Space Marines shooting, my Guardian squads looked like this:
1 Guardian, 1 Bright Lance Platform (1/2 wounds)
3 Guardians, 1 Bright Lance Platform (1/2 wounds)
5 Guardians, 1 Bright Lance Platform (2/2 wounds)

I'd allocated a couple wounds in desperation to Bright Lance platforms, which have a good save.

After Morale:
Squad wipes
Squad down to 1 Guardian
Squad down to 2 Guardians, 1 Bright Lance Platform

I think with a few more models left alive, I might have been able to save the other two squads, though more like Kingsley would have shot 1.5 squads entirely off of the board rather than splitting fire and hoping Morale takes them down.

I think perhaps more cover on the board would have helped, as well as the front of my deployment zone not being a building with solid walls. I'm probably going to give it another try with this list this weekend against a friend of mine who plays Chaos, so we'll see how it pans out there. Keeping the Guardians in cover or behind LoS Blockers (if he has immobile but strong ranged anti-infantry) might be a good idea. I will also keep an eye open for short-ranged but strong anti-infantry like Assault Cannons and make sure to plan around those. I had underestimated the effectiveness of the flyers this time around, I think. They didn't really do much against my vehicles, but taking out all those Guardians hurt me.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:20:54 AM by Blazinghand »

Offline Irisado

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:13:20 AM »
Most heavy weapons won't do too much damage to Guardians, since the majority does not fire too many shots (the Heavy Bolter is an obvious exception).  It's weapons like the Assault Cannon and Plasma Guns which rip through Guardians.  As a result, I think that your plan to prepare to protect your Guardians from such weapons is desirable.

I'll be interested to see how well this list performs against Chaos.  In theory, you should have an easier time, as most Chaos armies cannot muster quite the same level of fire power as that Marine list that you faced.

Offline Saim-dann

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 06:43:33 AM »
G'day Blazinghand!
Am so sorry, mate. Haven't the time to read the entire batrep tonight. Just browsed the fantastic pics and read the end result with the lessons learned. Will definitely pop in at a later date to read it properly because it looked to be a hoot.

Your models and photography are Micky Mouse. Am right there with you about needing to go first to benefit from our psychic powers. With the squishiness of Eldar, I highly recommend more terrain to survive those first round volleys. Learnt that the hard way myself... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »
Blazinghand: did you burn command points for Insane Bravery? That is a seriously clutch ability. Could have saved at least one unit.

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 01:11:17 PM »
I considered it on the squad that had 3 Guardians + 1 Platform before morale, since that one would be rolling 1d6+7 against Morale 8 (elevated due to the Inspiring Leader warlord trait) and would lose the platform on a 4+. On a 1, 2, or 3 the platform lives, but also using the 2CP strat could preserve some guardian bodies

The 1 Guardians + 1 Platform squad was rolling 1d6+9 against Morale 8, and so was gonna wipe no matter what. This is 100% saving a Bright Lance Platform even if it saves only 1 guardian body.

The 5 Guardians + 1 Platform squad was rolling 1d6+5 against Morale 8, and would survive with 2 Guardians even if I rolled a 6 (which I did)

In retrospect (I ended the game with 1 CP, but was spending somewhat lavishly) it would have been worth using in the Insane Bravery stratagem here. One extra Bright Lance shot might have made the difference against the wounded flyer or made it easier to take down the razorback.