News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mech or Mixed?  (Read 410 times)

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
Mech or Mixed?
« on: June 25, 2009, 06:23:55 AM »
I'm asking for a second opinion really, i'm not sure which to go for with my eldar.

Mechanised or a mixed list?

I'm going to weight up the pro's + con's and please feel free to add some because i really need advice:

Mechanised
+ Speed seems awesome
+ I quite like tanks
+ I prefer painting tanks
- I can't use my wraithlords
- Smaller lists
- One tank going down can beslubber you over quite badly
- Limited with unit options

Mixed
+ I can use my wraithlords
+ I can vary my lists and use things from the whole codex
+ Variation of models to paint
+ Opponents won't get sick of my lists
- Lots of models to paint
- Aspect warriors are quite expensive

Any input guys?

EDIT: these are the models i have

Farseer
10 Guardians /w scatter laser
10 Dire avengers /w powersword and shimmer shield exarch
Wave serpent /w bright lances
Fire prism
Wraithlord /w brightlance and EML
Wraithlord /w brightlance and EML
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:43:37 AM by Killer Rabbit »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Mech or Balanced?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 08:10:29 AM »
By balanced, I'm going to assume you mean a mixed list, as all types of list can be balanced, providing you choose the right units  :).

I think your model collection answers your own question.  If you go for a fully mechanised list, you would essentially be wasting your Wraithlords and Defender Guardians, which don't fit very well into mechanised lists at all in my view, so on that basis, I suggest sticking to a mixed list, and just building on the units that you already have.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:30:46 AM »
By balanced, I'm going to assume you mean a mixed list, as all types of list can be balanced, providing you choose the right units  :).

I think your model collection answers your own question.  If you go for a fully mechanised list, you would essentially be wasting your Wraithlords and Defender Guardians, which don't fit very well into mechanised lists at all in my view, so on that basis, I suggest sticking to a mixed list, and just building on the units that you already have.

I hope that helps.

Ah okay :) that does seem like a good idea.

I'll give it a shot and make a few lists.

Offline Seren Nos

• Filthy Mon-keigh
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:44:26 AM »
Well you yourself have been able to come up with a greater ratio of pros to cons for the 'balanced' or mixed list than the mech. You also have the models to start this as mentioned by Irisado.

It also looks as though you are going for a ranged orientated list.

Perhaps more psykers would be beneficial in your army in this case to negate wraithsight + guide & doom combo.

I have refrained from mentioning wraithguard as you may not want to all of a sudden end up with an Iyanden-a-like force.

You could always build up enough models over time to allow you to do both types of list. Building on what you have already supports the mixed list.
I say go with the mixed list as I agree with you, your opponents won't get sick of facing it and neither will you get sick of playing it.
To Err is definately human; to Manipulate is Eldar

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
Re: Mech or Mixed?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:20:12 AM »
What are beneficial about wraithguard?

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Mech or Mixed?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:25:05 AM »
What are beneficial about wraithguard?

Essentially, they are a very durable scoring unit (when fielded in squads of ten and led by a Spiritseer), which work very well in mixed lists at pinning opposing units in combats, or holding objectives/fortified positions, but they are rather expensive, so you do end up having to build the infantry section of your army around the units of Wraithguard if you go down this route.

Starrakatt and other members of the Iyanden POC are the best people, however, to answer this question, so I will leave furhter comments to them.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente