News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How to deal with grav?  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Hive Fleet Bahamut

• I like to play with my food before I eat it!
How to deal with grav?
« on: December 9, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
Been against the Grav Cannon Centurions (bolters) a few times now, and they are and have been every game MVP.  They sit in a Landraider and basically annihilate anything with a T/AV value a turn.  With the bolter setup they are great against puds too, and have yet to tarpit them effectively, only being able to kill them with my Eldar shooting.

On bikes I have yet to see, but currently face the Ravenwing Knights and a squad of Twin-linked Plasma is just about as nasty.  Are Tyranids all gone?  Is waiting the only real answer now?
Tyranid assimilation brought to you by the letters "Om nom"

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
Re: How to deal with grav?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:06:18 AM »
Well, the Land Raider has no fire points, so they can't shoot out of it. They have to get out to fire. Just remember our bread and butter of 6th: cover, FNP, and Gants to suck up overwatch. Use Zoanthropes to crack the LR, charge the Centurions with Gants, and then charge with a MC and smash. Use your Gants for cover, remembering that MCs follow the rules for infantry for cover, they do not use the 25% rule. Use FNP if you have it to help mitigate damage.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
Re: How to deal with grav?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 03:54:51 AM »
As noted, firstly they have to be standing outside a land raider - in fact, they can't be in any transport and do it; all the marine transports which do have fire points explicitely forbid Bulky and above models from using them.

Also, whilst GaleRazorwind's advice is good, in the specific case of Centurions, you don't have to deal with overwatch, either; slow and purposeful means you cannot snap fire with them in response to being charged.

Grav Cannon centurions are good - two or three grav cannons can realistically butcher a monstrous creature - even a big one - in a single turn of fire. But they are short (ish) range - to be effective, he's going to have to put them in or  near his front line, not back with the rest of the heavy support. Fling raveners, hormaguants, that sort of thing at him. Hormagaunts for preference, just to let him flail uselessly with the grav cannons at something with a 6+ save. A big brood might kill them (especially with toxin sacs) but ultimately, think gribbly - if you trade a hormagaunt brood for those things not firing for the rest of the game even if they're just locked in combat and not dying, you've still come out on top...
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685