News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Slaying" Daemon Princes  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
Re: "Slaying" Daemon Princes
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 03:18:17 AM »
Again, Angron and Ghargatuloth spring instantly to mind - Ghargatuloth was smashed by a Nemesis weapon, wielded by Grand Master Mandulis, and if that had killed Ghargatuloth permanently then Ben Counter would have made Mandulis part of the actual narrative in Grey Knights, not just a plot detail.

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 05:39:43 AM »
I would imagine it would depend on the power of the wielder of the Force Weapon in comparison to the Daemon. In the chase of Ghargatuloth, he's one of the most powerful Greater Daemons to ever enter realspace. Quite possibly THE most powerful. I'd imagine, that with a strong enough psyker, and a strong enough force weapon, it could be possible to even kill him permenantly. But the way things are, the Imperium probably has no one even close to being able to do something like that. Let alone a Force Weapon powerful enough to get the job done.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 08:04:50 AM »
What part of Immortality is so hard to grasp? A Daemon Prince is not of different nature to 'normal' Daemons. They are energy and can't be destroyed in the Materium. Daemonhood is the promise of eternal existence and the most powerful gift to any Champion. I would hate to see this fluff being lathered up with a lot of exceptions.

The only two ways I can imagine that would destroy a Daemon is either to make the god that ascended him to snuff him out or destroy that god (which I'm not really certain at would work for Daemon Princes).

Sure, the method of the banishment probably directly influence the time it will take for the Daemon to once again reach into the Materium. If the method is strong enough it might sever the Daemon's reach for countless millennia which might seem like destruction but the Daemon will certainly not be gone forever.

Offline thecon36

• Death from Above
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »
What part of Immortality is so hard to grasp? A Daemon Prince is not of different nature to 'normal' Daemons. They are energy and can't be destroyed in the Materium. Daemonhood is the promise of eternal existence and the most powerful gift to any Champion. I would hate to see this fluff being lathered up with a lot of exceptions.

I wholeheartedly agree. You hear a whole lot of talk about 'ascending to daemonhood', there is a definite line between being gifted by the chaos gods, having all sorts of useful mutations and being a daemon prince.  It must be the immortality one with chaos thing. Or else there would be all sorts of amphetamine parrot about how gifted you have to be to be considered a full fledged daemon instead of just mutated and having earned the favor of the gods. 

Offline Bumbles

• I supported No'Akei and all I got was this silly title
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 04:33:15 AM »
That as may be, but Daemon Princes also have more of a "physical pull" that means that they last longer then normal daemons without the usual rituals to bind you. Not that you don't need them, but you do need less of them.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 06:55:26 AM »
That as may be, but Daemon Princes also have more of a "physical pull" that means that they last longer then normal daemons without the usual rituals to bind you. Not that you don't need them, but you do need less of them.

I think that has more to do with a strong independent will and a close familiarity with the Materium which all other Daemons lack.