News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330804 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #560 on: January 1, 2016, 12:54:39 PM »
@Dread- Excellent my friend. Can't wait to see what direction you are gonna take your new Corsairs. Personally I'm going with a Raiding Company, Sky Burner Coterie and Multiphase Key Generator with additional Void Dreamer shenanigans. Can't wait!

@Everybody- So I've gotten a little breathing room since tackling a pretty big Infinity commission. So work continues on my Balestrike squad. The Felarch and two of lancers are now complete. Been having fun doing little details like recovered Spirit Stones of different colors (see last picture) which are en route back to their appropriate Craftworlds, kill markings etc.

Also been working on a BIG piece of terrain for our upcoming campaign. My brother built it but I'm tackling the painting duties.

So in addition to that.... the Imperial Armor 11 campaign begins this week! My brother and I are going to play our first game... no LOW as per the campaign which should be interesting. I won't be using the actual Corsair army list for the first few games while I get my new Squads assembled but it should be too long before the real Corsairs hit the tabletop.

Anyways stay-tuned guys and prepare yourselves because there might be a video-battle report sometime soon!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #561 on: January 6, 2016, 10:38:53 PM »
Loving this, the added detail to the Balestrikes is gorgeous -- really like the understated but clear Felarch in this unit. I tend to go a bit over-the-top with my unit leaders, and they end up looking like they should be warlords or something.

Also, looking at the Corsair rules it seems like Reckless Abandon might have a really huge nasty benefit over Battle Focus, in that whereas Battle Focus only takes effect during the Shooting Phase, there is nothing to indicate that this is the case with Reckless Abandon.

For example, your Sky Burners coterie Reaver squad with 2 fusion guns deep strikes 6" behind an Imperial Knight, scattering 4", blasting it in the rear, then using Reckless Abandon to move (not Run, check the rule) 6+D6" away. In the subsequent assault phase *assuming your Reavers are still of this world* the Knight then ramps up to charge the Reavers, who bust out an Overwatch shooting attack of 2 fusion guns and one grenade, then use Reckless Abandon again to move a further 6+D6" away, bahah!

It's not really going to be that game-changing, but if people do agree on this understanding of the rule, it gives the Corsairs something extra special and extra nasty to utilize. Love the fluff, love the mechanic. We shall see!

Cheers
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #562 on: January 7, 2016, 02:49:20 AM »
That does seem to be a great use. I really need to post my list. Been so busy fixing cars and house repairs and work, I haven't got to ski g any color but shall have sometime soon.

Dude!! Always amaze. Hopefully be getting guardians this weekend and kit B8ashing shall ensue.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #563 on: January 7, 2016, 12:18:01 PM »
@Ibushi- Thanks buddy, I appreciate it. Yeah the Felarch is understated, he could be taken up another notch and he and all my Exarchs/Felarchs probably will in time. I think I want to hand paint a glyph on their helmets or something like that as I saw in the IA:11 that seems to be the Felarch marking system.

As for Reckless Abandon, there is no question in my mind its not a Run Move yet doing so in your opponents turn… woo doggy thats a tough one. I don't think I'd have the stones to try convince someone of that in the middle of a game. Its like the Infinite Flicker Jump with the Spiders. However if the ITC rules it that way I will use it and drive people insane!

Anyway thanks buddy and I hope you enjoyed your vacation my man, thanks for stopping by your input is always appreciated!

@Dread- Thanks man. Can't wait to see what your gonna put together. You jumped out to an ultra-hot start on your Corsairs so you are ahead of me. I still haven't finished my Balestrike squad! Its a lot of gold, hand painting the white and then a lot of washes etc so it does take time. Anyway I'll post up a list soon too. Keep it up can't wait to see what your gonna put together.

@Everybody- Well guys my brother and I have been furiously working on terrain, new models and even getting some lighting setup so we can photo and film some bat-reps. I've got my camera on my phone in workin order so it wont be long now before video bat-reps will begin. But before that there will be some old school bat-reps and hopefully early this weekend. We're playing the first game of our Imperial Armor:11 campaign tomorrow! We've got a special mission and special rules in effect for this campaign. No LoW outside of those missions where they are specifically included in the book. So it will be a challeng to without the Wraithknight soaking up all that Imperial Guard firepower and stomping tanks flat. But at least I wont need to contend with the Imperial Knight which I haven't fared well against in the past.

Anyway here's a preview…. this Magna-Vox is the object of my Corsair's first raid, silence the planetary communication system and proceed to ravage the planet in search of our all important secret goal!

Anyway its a WIP but hopefully my brother will finish painting it today. Full credit to my brother on this amazing creation, I just started painting it. Anyway enjoy guys and stay tuned for a royal rumble very soon!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #564 on: January 7, 2016, 02:54:59 PM »
That is awesome!  Is that a flying base as the dish?  Very clever!  :D

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #565 on: January 8, 2016, 09:34:52 AM »
Man I love terrain pieces like this one. The base is clearly from a Drop Pod and, as Tangi pointed out, the dish could be a flying base but assembled like this they look as if they were made for this item. The realistic paint job helps as well. Fantastic work. The only thing I could ask for to make it better is a breakdown of all the parts used.   
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #566 on: January 11, 2016, 07:31:39 AM »
@Tangi&Alienscar- Thanks so much guys! The bits if I remember correctly are from a drop-pod (one of the best kitbashing kits for making endless terrain and cheap too!) and some Leman Russ bits is all it took. Oh yeah and the dish itself is from a plastic wine glass! Full credit to my brother he created this little beast while I did most of the painting. Such an awesome piece… having stuff like this in your terrain collection goes such a long way.

IMPERIAL ARMOR 11: DOOM OF MYMEARA CAMPAIGN
GAME 1

Hey guys! Well finally got in another game and its the first in the Imperial Armor: 11 campaign that me and my brother are playing. It was a custom mission that we developed ourselves to represent the Eldar Corsairs initial attack on Betalis IV. They begin their campaign with a major raid to destablize the planets communication systems before pushing on to their true and enigmatic goal.

To represent this we made a cool Magna-Vox which had to be destroyed before Turn 3. If I was able to destroy it before Turn 3 I got a Victory Point. If I failed to do so the VP went to the Imperial Guard. Other than that there were 2 objectives placed by myself, 2 by my brother and we played an 1850pts game.

THE ARMIES

Imperial Guard
Company Command Squad-Company Commander, 3x Plasma, Vox

Veterans x10: 3x Plasma, Carapace Armor

Leman Russ Squadron-
   Punisher- Pask, Heavy Bolters x2
   Leman Russ- Battle Cannon, Double Melta, Lascannon
   Executioner: Plasma Sponsons

Basilisk
Manticore
Vendetta
Vindicare Assassin

Eldar Corsairs

Autarch- Banshee Mask, Soulshrive
Archon: Webway Portal, Armor of Misery, Shadowfield, Powersword
Wraithblades x5
   Wave Serpent: Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
Warriors x5
Jetbikes x3- Scatter Lasers x3
Nightwing
Hornets x3- Pulse Lasers x3
Crimson Hunter- Exarch
Raider- Dark Lance

Aspect Host:
Swooping Hawks x6- Exarch, Sunrifle
Striking Scorpions x10- Exarch, Claw
Fire Dragons x6- Exarch

DEPLOYMENT

As usual I failed the roll to go first…. we set up and this is what the board looked like.

[/img]

My brother castled up in the corner and facing all that artillery I elected to reserve nearly everything as I usually do. Deploying only my Warlord and his Wraithblade retinue in their Wave Serpent, the Scorpions and the Dark Eldar Warriors.

I was bracing myself for the artillery pounding when then this happened!

I stole the initiative which so RARELY happens for me. Most of the time I don't even bother as I'm so used to going second. Anyway I took the opportunity and ran with it!

TURN 1

Eldar Corsairs- Very brief as you may have guessed. I ran the Scorpions from the rocky outcropping to the woods near the Manticore and the Veterans in the large ruin. The Wave Serpent shot out to the right flank to get into position for a turn 3 disembarkation for Autarch and his Wraithblades. The Warriors sat on their objective closing out an uneventful Turn 1.

Imperial Guard- The IG let rip as always they do. The Plasmacutioner, the Veterans, the Leman Russ all let rip on the Scorpions dropping them to only 3 models! Oof that hurt but it was to be expected. I was hoping to have access to some ruins before the game began to get that nice 2+ cover but it wasn't to be. Even still I was hoping for more, but hey its like they say Big Guns Never Tire! Then the Manticore and the Basilisk unloaded into Wave Serpent pummeling it and I got Immobilized after failing my Serpent Shield save as often I do. Damn! My close-combat units were in a bad situation right from the get-go. I needed my reserves and I needed them pronto!

TURN 2

Eldar Corsairs- Hornets, the WWP Archon attached to the Fire Dragons in the Raider, Nightwing, Crimson Hunter, and all three units of Jetbikes all came on and came in with a bang. The Archon and the Fire Dragons descended on the Leman Russ Squadron and utterly annihilated them. Despite the fantastic results it was actually a bummer for us because that was the heart of my brothers army and the Fire Dragons incinierated it with ridiculous ease. Squadroning them was probably a mistake and something we talked a lot about later, and I'll discuss at the end of the bat-rep.

Amidst the destruction the Crimson Hunter and Nightwing came screaming in and combined fire to take out Magna-Vox which is very cool. The jetbikes came on and blasted up a bunch of Veterans but they made most of their saves resulting in only a few casualties. My Eldar had their characteristic Turn 2 which is just absolutely punishing.

Imperial Guard- The Guard were hurting after that fussilade of fire but managed to punch back. After some very disappointing firepower from the Vets and some white hot jink-saves, the Vindicare was forced to step in and blow-up the Raider.

The Company Command Squad wiped out the remaining Scorpions. The Manticore then hammered the Hornets but again the Jink saves were hot and only one was actually damaged but it was immobilized and the others were jinking which was good. The Manticore then unloaded on the Warriors killing all but one.

The outflanking Vendetta showed up and stripped a HP off the Crimson Hunter and vector locked it forcing me to move it off the board in my turn. It could have been better but the Guard managed to silence my big guns for a turn.

TURN 3

Eldar Corsairs- With most of the armor dealt with the high strength weaponry of the Eldar was of little use against the castled up infantry. The Hornets shot forward snap-shooting into the Company Command Squad. The Fire Dragons and Archon seperated with the Dragons running out of LOS of the Vindicare while the Archon was not going to make it out of LOS of the Vindicare made moves to assault the Veteran squad that was protecting the wrecked Magna-Vox. Meanwhile the Swooping Hawks came bombing on to the scene and took out a Veteran Squad.

The Jetbikes continued to harrass the Veterans but excellent cover protected them. The Nightwing strafed the Vindicare and caused a wound on the assassin. Closing out the turn the Archon threw a grenade into the Guardsmen, assaulted and broke their morale with the Armor of Misery and then ran them down, consolidating 5" and out of LOS of the Assassin as I had planned. However he lost his Shadowfield in combat with the Guardsmen! Blasphemy! This would prove costly as you'll see.

Imperial Guard- I couldn't help but think what a different game it would have been if those Leman Russ' werent squadroned as only one of them would have died to the Fire Dragons, because this is when the Guard tend to shine with the Veterans receiving orders and punishing my Corsairs as they've closed with 24" while the artillery continues to pound my backfield. Regardless my brother stuck to his guns and played to the mission. He moved his Assassin a little to the left and shot into my Archon with his Exitus Pistol (wasn't expecting that) racking up another wound. He then peppered the Dragons but I only lost 1. He then shot Basilisk at the remaining Dark Eldar Warriors eliminating them forcing me to keep a Jetbike unit back to try and score as the game was actually still close on points. The last of the Stormeagle rockets were fired by the Manticore at a unit of Jetbikes but I made my 3+ armor saves to add insult to injury.

-WRAP UP-

We played two more turns culiminating in an epic clash between the Vindcare and the Archon who leapt all the way atop the ruin seeking retribution for destroying his Raider and wounding him previously. Couldn't be a more shocking conclusion when the Vindicare killed the Archon! It was a nice morale victory for the Guardsmen who had a very tough time of it in this game. With that a general retreat was sounded and the Imperial Guard fell back to fight another day. Game 1 in the Campaign went to the Eldar Corsairs who won in style.

THOUGHTS AND CONCLUSIONS

Well to be honest it was a very disappointing game. My brother had spent a ton of time working on his army and collaborating with me to make new terrain clean up the board and get all our 40k stuff in order. If he had not squadroned the Leman Russ and taken his Vulture instead of the Assassin as he usually does it would have been a much different game. Yet at the same time I can't deny just how VERY strong the Craftworld codex is. I'm so used to playing against Space Marine Battle-Companies, Thunderwolf Cav, Necron Decurions etc. that I feel that I could have taken my list down a notch making for a much more fun game.

However my brother is adamant that I don't scale back my force because he wants to play against me at my best. However the next game should be very interesting as my brother gets access to a LoW in the form of his Imperial Knight while I do not.

We learned a lot from this game, such as ways to manipulate the FoC to get access to extra slots for the IG so squadroning is not necessary, the value of the Vindicare and the incredible strength of the Fire Dragons who had under-performed in games thus far for me.

Personally I'm hellbent to get a TRUE Corsairs force ready for games. They are still VERY deadly but are much more fragile and have significant vulnerabilities but suit my playstyle much more. Also of note is that we bought our first game mat from gamemat.eu, and picked up our first directional light so the work towards getting our youtube channel going is certainly underway. Next step build a dedicated gaming table. So stay tuned for that. Anyway hope you guys enjoyed and stay-tuned for the next installment in the campaign!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:39:25 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #567 on: January 11, 2016, 09:18:30 AM »
I agree that putting all the Leman Russ tanks into a squadron was a mistake.  When I played against Koval's Guard back in sixth edition, it was really difficult for me to knock out his tanks since they were all separate units, or unit transports.  As a result, I think that scaling back on your army is unnecessary for the next game, especially if your brother is going to be taking an Imperial Knight (yet another unit that has no place in 40K scale in my opinion).

The photos of the game are great.  It's quite funny because my dad noticed what I was reading and thought I was reading something from the GW website, because of the quality of the photos, so I'd take that as a compliment :).

My favourite image was the one of the Vindicare overlooking the battlefield, and his fight with the Archon.  That was a suitable clash to round off the game, especially in view of the surprising outcome.

Congratulations on your victory :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #568 on: January 12, 2016, 01:40:13 AM »
I agree but the shot taken over the back of the razorwing caught my eye.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #569 on: January 12, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »
@Irisado- Wow thanks Irisado, say thanks to your Dad too, thats really high praise and I really do appreciate it. Also my brother says thanks for the info on placing the tanks into a squadron as well. He's really ramping up towards regular play so the input is really appreciated and something we'll both learn from. Hopefully softening my list as you noted will not need to happen because playing against a Knight is very challenging even with one of your own. Yet I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm so used to playing against hardcore armies that I hardly bat an eye at playing against a Knight and seeing that beast stalking around the battlefield is gonna look awesome and make for a tense fight.

Thanks for your comments on the photos. My favorites were of the Vindicare and the Archon as well. It was one of those cool "game within the game" things that makes 40k such a great game. My Archon did very well in the game and continues to be a champion. It's really nice having my Prince's 2nd in command shine the way he has.

Thanks for the congrats on the victory as well!

@Dread- Thanks man glad you didn't think I totally cheezed out. It felt like it when those tanks went up in smoke and it really bothered me but with a little hindsight my list wasn't really that bad though it was very strong. Yeah the photo with the Nightwing came out good if you guys haven't noticed I really love my Nightwing. The paint job came out good and its been such an ACE in games I really can't say enough about how well its performed, but I'll say it again: FORGET THE CRIMSON HUNTER the Nightwing is the champ! lol

@Everybody- Anyway guys here's a preview image of the new game mat my brother and I ordered!

There aren't my photos but from the Gamemat.eu

Also been hard at work on my Chaos stuff as well. I've changed the way I paint them a bit and would love some feedback. I'll take some photos soon and see what you guys think. Anyway thats it for now guys thanks for stopping by and thanks for your comments. Got a bunch of awesome stuff on the way so stay tuned and I'll talk to you guys soon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:13:24 PM by Cavalier »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #570 on: January 15, 2016, 11:49:19 AM »
too much to reply to in the short time that I have before I have to run, but I did want to say this:

put that sattelite dish on a 60mm base and you've got an idea on the objectives I'd normally want to make. Except yours look a lot cooler, of course.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #571 on: January 18, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »
Really amazing stuff, Cav, love it!

Gorgeous terrain, armies, setup, mission parameters, and playlists. A bit unfortunate that the IG put the tanks in a squadron, that is definitely a big mistake in any situation, but next time you'll be on the rocks for sure!

Your brother picking up a Knight is going to be huge, but a big part of it will be whether he knows how to position it/hold it back or push it forward at just the right times or not, so we shall see -- looking forward to it!

Loved the cinematic assault by the Dragons and Archon, but glad to see the dirty cousin getting punked by the Vindicare, as you don't see that too often haha!

Lastly, on a rules note, if your scorpions were in a 5+ woods, they would have had a 2+ cover save from Stealth + Shrouded from infiltrating. Also I noticed you have the Soulshrive on your Autarch which is boss, just bear in mind it's not allowed in "official" play anymore, sadface.

Overall your list is super nasty, ouch! Do you take all lances on the Crimson Hunter? For the Exarch one of the things I think might work out better is taking Starcannons and going after infantry for the Precision shots, while the Nightwing takes on vehicles. Against Flyers the Hunter has such an advantage anyway, starcannons can still work. Just my 2c! 

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #572 on: January 19, 2016, 07:08:23 AM »
Thanks man. Always appreciate your commentary and thoughts Ibushi. Yeah the tank squadron was a big mistake, but my brother is very happy that it was such a big mistake in a way, because it was easy to extrapolate what would have happened had not squadroned. Only one tank dead and it'd be a totally different game. I wasn't expecting him to squadron which was why I took the WWP Dragons... I thought it'd be a fun ambush and then they'd die with perhaps the Archon running around like a madman in the backlines annoying him... not dropping an army crushing nuke! To be honest man it was a bad feeling my brother worked so hard that week on his army but it still got us pumped about playing and learning how to make his Guard work.

Glad you liked the mission parameters too. We're gonna experiment with different game parameters like drawing 14 maelstrom cards at random, playing 2 cards of choice per turn.

Fascinating about the Crimson Hunter. I actually like that role a lot, I find I get bogged down against lots of infantry as I don't rock any blast markers. I like this idea a lot!

About my list yeah it really was nasty. I didn't think so at the time. I've been playing some pretty freaking tough lists in the past, and after getting my head handed to me by my brother last time out I thought I'd have to bring something tough, but for whatever reason the power of the list didn't jump out to me. I just sort of slapped it together without much thought. I wanted to give the Dragons another game as they've really under performed and the Crimson Hunter had yet to see the light of day. Yet when we started playing I was like HOT damn thats a lot of Ap2! I thought all the points invested in CC would soften the army a bit but it didn't!

Next time out my brother's list is gonna be nasty. The Knight, Vendetta, Vulture combination which rocked my world last time we played will be back and I'm dreading it! Might just have to take my medicine this time. But it should be glorious!

Anyway thanks so much man always enjoy your insights. Good catch on the Scorpions too!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #573 on: January 19, 2016, 05:40:52 PM »
Sounds like you guys are in a pretty good space overall though, I wouldnt worry about "going to hard" and whatnot if you both have the big guns anyway. His mistake in squadroning really was so particular and costly, it will never happen again! There is basically no good reason to squadron other than requirements or sharing amazing buffs, and even then...

Yeah I thought how you did it that the special mission was just +1 by turn 3 for you, or +1 for him afterwards was really clever, as it doesn't relegate the rest of the game to a sideshow, you know? A lot of scenarios are too heavily scored on just one criterion.

It does sound like you may have to take your medicine soon, I like the sound of that! I definitely had lots of medicine on sunday, hahaha.

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #574 on: January 20, 2016, 07:02:22 AM »
Awesome thanks Ibushi glad you liked the mission parameters. My brother have gamed together for many, many years and since I'm sort of doubling down on gaming at home we are going to stray further into mission design and victory parameters.

The guys at Frontline mentioned at one point when 7th first dropped about have each player choose their own mission objectives so that you could design your army to win a way that works best for you. I liked this idea SO MUCH but sadly they didn't go on with it. We are going to take a stab at this eventually and see what we can come up with. I've always hated "Objective" grabbing. Its so abstract and almost never feels like it has any tactical or narrative value. They are just random markers on the board instead of tactical goals/objectives of great value to winning a battle or a greater war.

Though I complained about IA:11 not having the old missions the more I look at them, the more I think we're gonna just write up our own instead of using the originals- which I'm very happy about.

Also the bitter medicine pill is coming and I deserve it after my cheese!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #575 on: January 20, 2016, 01:27:25 PM »
Yeah that idea of "player-selected parameters" or whatever they call it is pretty cool. Speaking from NOVA open, it takes a few times to get used to, but once you can remember the choices in your "treasure chest" of scoring options it is a pretty straightforward dynamic. Only really works if you play a series of games like a campaign or tournament though, which forces certain options to be eliminated and makes every army eventually face the music in one way or another.

One possibility would a one-off game or scenario would be to restrict the scoring options to just 2-3 and each player chooses, but then you're basically in ITC territory where you can always focus on either Primary or Maelstrom plus one or more Tertiary. The main difference would be in WHAT the scoring parameters are, right. That's what I really liked about your mission - it was unique, but not OP. Keep it up!

In terms of abstraction of objective markers, yeah it kind of sucks, unless you have proper themed markers, right? Mine are ruined pieces of my Torii webway gateway lying about needing to be picked up and restored, and then a wounded Exarch/Emissary crawling along with his leg blown off. See if I can get some pictures for you soon!

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #576 on: January 21, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
This year, the Renegade Open did something clever with their missions. They gave each player 4 tokens, with each token representing a mission (e.g. Kill Points, etc.). Each player was obligated to play each of the missions during the course of the day (day one had 4 rounds). The novelty was that each player got to see who they were matched up with before choosing (secretly) which token to 'play'. Once chosen, the tokens were revealed and the game played from there.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #577 on: January 21, 2016, 12:46:58 PM »
Those are exactly the lines I was thinking along was thinking along D-Cannon. I thought the ITC guys were going to do that at one point but for whatever reason they chose not to. I think thats something I could adapt straight-up to the campaign I'm playing at the moment and something very similar for games in general. There is a mission in the Iyanden Supplement where the Iyanden player rolls to see which mission type KP's, Emperor's Will etc. that he is after and its kept secret from the player he's up against which I thought was neat too.

Also your information concerning tourney terrain really surprised me. I thought those ITC guys were all about LOS blocking terrain. Its so easy to make when you just have a bunch of huge old rocks like I have for my board. Its fast, easy and cheap and not too tough to store either. Weird.

Anyway thanks for the info man I always appreciate your great insights and thanks for stopping by!

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #578 on: January 21, 2016, 05:28:07 PM »
Also your information concerning tourney terrain really surprised me. I thought those ITC guys were all about LOS blocking terrain.
I can't speak to all ITC tournaments and hope I didn't come across as doing that. I know from photos of the Las Vegas Open last year that there was a great variety of terrain (including large and small LoS blocking pieces) on at least some of the tables (and probably most/all).

One thing I will stand by is that MOST tournaments, 3+ years after 6th edition, still have inadequate terrain. Or perhaps I should say that the terrain most tournaments put on the table continues to influence the meta toward a) shooty armies (Eldar and Tau), b) armies that bring their own cover saves (War Convocation) c) giant blobs of fearless, 5++ models that don't particularly care if you shoot them or not (Khorne Daemonkin), or d) armies that bring their own LoS blocking (I'm looking at you, Space Marine Battle Company).

Now that a number of armies (particulary armies from the Imperium of Man) can shoot very well, and pull other shenanigans (Skyhammer), just being able to shoot isn't enough. This is what brings me to the conclusion that Eldar cannot capitalize on their 'great' mobility.

Cheers!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #579 on: January 22, 2016, 07:35:54 AM »
Thats very disappointing to hear D-Cannon. Living in North Carolina there is no tourney scene to speak of but back when I lived up North I played in tourneys regularly and it was the same thing there to. Literally planet-bowling ball at times.

Also I'm 100% convinced the 6x4 tabletop is way too small for the amount of models on the board. If we played on 6x6 or 8x6 the range of the Imperial Guard and the mobility of the Eldar would actually count for something at least in terms of positioning. By turn 2 the board has usually descended into pure madness with models all over the place. So many times I've though to myself that if either myself or my opponent could actually fallback to a position where each others guns weren't in range one of us could actually mount a comeback but by turn 2 everything is in position and its impossible to fall back.

Yeah the Eldar mobility is really meaningless if there isn't cover. Sure you can turbo boost onto some objectives and then flush those units right down the toilet afterwards. Warp Spiders are the only high mobility unit that can actually do something after moving a good distance. Jetbike thrust move is super useful especially in concert with their incredible shooting, the Hornets with their snapfire after turbo-boosting is nice but thats it. I'd argue that while Eldar may be able to position themselves better than any other army, Space Marines are "faster" in that that they position themselves via Drop-Pod (or Deepstrike/Outflank if you are Ravenguard) and then are immediately able to shoot and assault you which outside of a WWP Eldar cannot do and then when we can only shoot you and then get promptly get smashed. I also have long conteneded that Necrons are at least equal to Eldar in terms of speed. Wraiths, Scarabs, phenomenal flyers, Overlord's teleportation ability, the monoliths teleportation ability, teleport out of flyers and even destroyers are incredibly fast.

Don't get me wrong our codex is ridiculously powerful and very fast but I think Necrons, Space Marines, and Eldar are all pretty much neck and neck in terms of the race for most powerful. When I play Marines or Necrons I immediately feel like I'm playing a Finesse army again with little room for mistakes.