News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330572 times)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #500 on: October 21, 2015, 04:58:55 AM »
I can only echo the earlier sentiments. I stellar job on the battle, and your army looks ace. I'd be honored to play against an army like that, even if it wipes me off the table (as I'm not a tourney-style list builder).
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #501 on: October 22, 2015, 11:47:59 AM »

@Grizz- Thanks buddy! Always appreciate your comments and I'm glad you like the look of the new list. And yes, MSU stands for multiple-small-units. Its an approach I've always been extremely wary of… but is definitley something I'm going to incorporate in-part at least throught my new lists. Thanks for the comments on the Hunter as well. I've made a ton of progress on it already and will be sure to post some photos soon. And yes I'm a subscriber to Tabletop Tactics, and that white Corsair themed Eldar army was another inspiration to get the model. That list that guy plays is brutal!!!

@Vonny- Thanks for the kind words Vonny. Yes its about as cut-throat a list I can make with the models in my collection. However if we ever did get the chance to play a game, you can be sure I'd bring nothing like the list I brought to this game. It really is unfortunate that the pick-up scene (at least everywhere I've played) is essentially a testing ground for tournament style play and the effectivness of such lists. You really have to have a group of players who are really on the same wave length and are really just playing for fun to sort of let your guard down and play a "normal" non-optimized list. From what I've heard this is very much an "East Coast" American thing. I've tried to shake things up at the store and run narrative style events, multi-player low points games with explicitly stating bring casual non-optimized lists but it just never works out. Either people just don't follow through and the games never happen or they just completley disregard "the lets bring fun fluffy lists" mandate. I wish it were otherwise but to me its not the end of the world. I'm a competitive guy by nature and its good fun playing and beating those top-tier lists.

Hopefully the amount of games between me and my brother will pick-up. We are definitley going to play Imperial Armor 11 v.2.0 when it comes out and I'll unveil a real Corsair army list! Those missions are going to be a ton of fun, as they mandate which units are available to you, extra fortifications and a ton of other fun rules. The 3000 pt mission is the one I'm really looking forward to as it'll be my first Apocalypse game!

@Everybody- Anyway enough rambling on my part! I've got a ton of stuff in the works guys so stay tuned. More bat-reps, hobby progress to come!

But check out what I've got in the pipe right now. Got distracted from my Spiders but will be returning shortly. Also included is my latest commission: NIGHT HAUNTER!

Anyway thanks for stopping by!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #502 on: October 22, 2015, 04:31:07 PM »
the autarch or is it aarchon? i don't know anymore with you and your army >< Look pretty damn cool,  saw it on your facebook and i was like this feels nice and neet !  and it will defenetly fill in your army pretty damn well ! 

Now is that commission, did you do the posing ?  be cause this guy is beslubbering sick !  it's awesome! The posing and the painting are gorgeous if, oyu made me want to start a chaos army with this miniature, but this surely isn't going to be done before i finish my eldar wich are advancing pretty damn slowly as i have tons of work at school...

Hey man i knew it that crimson hunter would be brutal and super cool and just the red paint put a real tone to it i can't wait to see the gold pop on this mini, it's going to be awesome.

AND YES the list from the tabletop tactics guy IS SUPER ULTRA BRUTAL ! thought i liked the fact that he did not play psychic list before more than his current list even if it was far less powerfull :(

Looking forward to this finished hunter that's for sure :D and everything coming :D
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #503 on: October 23, 2015, 06:06:06 AM »
I'm so glad that I have never had to play games in that sort of high powered tournament environment.

I love those full army pictures that you posted on the previous page.  It's such a beautiful force to field and to face.

Night Haunter looks suitably scary, owing to that facial expression.  You've painted him very well.  Any Night Lords force led by that model is going to look a lot more imposing.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #504 on: October 23, 2015, 07:25:26 AM »
@Grizz- Thanks man! Yeah its gonna be Autarch. I didn't photo it but he's got a corsair fusion pistol on his back belt. As much bits as I poured into the last Autarch, the sort of body was too cinched at the waist and I wanted something a bit more solid looking. Besides I love this guy's crown- now he's a real prince! lol

As for the Night Haunter, he's actually the Primarch of the Nightlords. His pose is as Forgeworld sculpted him. You really cannot alter it without hacking the model up and then he wouldn't fit together on his snazzy two part base.

Very much looking forward to finishing my Crimson Hunter. My Eldar army will then have 5 Flyers! I can't believe I have that many! Necron Nightscythe spam eat your freaking heart out! I'm looking forward to the day when I can unload my entire collection into an Apocalypse game and bring that unholy death onto the board. What a sight that'll be.

@Irisado- Thanks Irisado, despite the ridiculous power level I'm glad you like the way my army looks! :P Yeah the pick-up scene can be pretty tough. My store doesn't seem THAT bad but when I think back on the last bunch of games I've had with the guys… its been Skyhammer Annihilation, Battle Company with 9 Lascannon Razorbacks + Librarius Formation, a friendly game against Tau which was super fun, my brothers brutal IG lists, Necron Decurion with double Canoptek Harvest (Wraiths with re-animation protocols), Necron Decurion again, Space Wolfstar… so yeah its no walk in the park. There is a group that plays thursday nights at my store that is supposedly very casual, but playing on a weekday night is just not in the cards for me. I've actually been thinking of trying to find another store to play just to find some new opponents. Not trying to find easier competition just something beyond the 4 or 5 opponents I'm always facing.

Thanks on Night Haunter as well. What an incredible model. Its been fun painting him… I've got Sevatar and a Chaos Terminator lord on the docket as well. Whats cool is that my Heresy Era Dark Angels are on the shelf next to him which is very suiting for the delaying campaign fought by the Night Lords to keep the Dark Angels at bay during the heresy.

@Everyone- Anyway no games scheduled this weekend but a lot of hobby planned with me and my bro. So expect updates from both of us. Anyway thanks guys and stay tuned!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #505 on: October 23, 2015, 04:51:13 PM »
Well, they sure do look in midnight clad!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #506 on: October 26, 2015, 10:33:10 PM »
Liking the look of this stuff Cav! Also I'm sure you are struggling to keep your brush hand from shaking right now with all the Corsair rumours coming along -- they are freakin' amazing, and are going to do wonders for flavour and interesting builds.

My favourite thing right now is the "brace of pistols" -- pistols have always been my favourite thing, and with the new gunslinger rule in the BRB it actually makes dual-wielding spinny death stars into a pretty good option. But I digress!

New autarch model looks great, I dig the idea of him having a crown as a proper prince should! I do have to say that your original autarch model -- with the wicked shoulder pads, cape, and amazing dynamic pose -- is going to be a really hard act to follow though. That guy is a freakin boss, but definitely could do with a crown, you have me there.

Last week I also came across your guest appearance (the freakshow one) on the Splintermind, that is a really cool podcast, nicely done! I'm good friends with the French Overlord, we play at some of the same events here in the PNW as he is based out of Portland right now, and that Harlequin lists is kind of hilarious. When the Eldar close combat thread came up over in the Eldar forum, he was the inspiration to finally kick my assault aspect army into top gear, and I think a toned-down version of that concept is the most effective. Likewise with the Grotesquerie etc., there is no point in going whole-hog Freakshow because you either face your ideal matchup and just win, or you face an opponent that is unaffected or counter-deploys or something, and all that investment is wasted. My other friend plays reserves CWE with a grotesquerie + WWP archon with armour, and I think that is the optimum amount of leadership shenanigans mixed with straight-up power. But I digress again! Anyway, cool to hear you doing a podcast, all that banter does get the ideas going when you're commuting on the train and such.

Keep up the great work -- REALLY looking forward to seeing that squad of spiders! I'll post close-ups of mine when you finished yours!

Cheers
Ibushi

Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #507 on: October 29, 2015, 12:47:51 PM »
@Ibushi- Yes my brush is quaking over the Corsair rumors. They are absolutley amazing... so stoked about the upgraded Jetbikes, Wraithknights, VYPERS (!), Nightwing and Warp Hunter (mine's been collecting dust since Imperial Armor Apocaylpse) but also the Wraithseer. I've got the upgrade kit but just haven't felt the need to go pickup a new Wraithlord kit and build him. Hopefully that changes. So many ridiculously cool new tricks available to me. Definitley going to build a real Corsair list. I've got almost every model available in the Corsair roster so I couldn't be happier.

As for my Autarch, yeah I love the old one but the sort of torso-to-legs proportions were a little off and it always kind of bothered me. I really love the sculpt on the Incubi armor, and the blade is just ridiculous. Honestly I'll never stop making new Corsair Prince models. This is just the latest one.

Thanks for listening to the Splintermind Podcast! Brian and Thor are great guys and really enjoyed chatting with them. I've been on 3 times if I'm not mistaken... once to talk about my army, a second time to go over the Space Marine dex, and a 3rd to talk about Dark Angels and the state of Dark Eldar.

I agree with you the Grotesquerie is ridiculous, I actually have plans to model up a count-as Grotesque unit from Lizardmen Kroxigors... and eventually get some Sslyth into my collection as well.

Anyway thanks for the comments Ibushi, and if you want some Spider pix here ya go!

@Everyone- Hey everybody been super busy painting Night Haunter. Seemed an easy commission at first but there's so much edge highlighting and tons of metallics which take a lot of layers thats its really slowed down any progress of my own stuff. However I did succeed in finishing 5 Warp Spiders and my new Corsair Prince. Take a look!

Used a lot of the Age of Sigmar golds and they are absolute magic and blend very well with my old golds. Anyways guys thats all I got stay tuned and thanks for stopping by!

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #508 on: October 29, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »
Well man your painting scheme really have a things for making model look epic. Those conversion are already beast like and that red and gold paint make them look even better. Keep it up dude it's looking fantastic :D

That said i'm really looking forward to the twist we will see in your army when you bring some of those juicy new corsair release into the frey :D
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #509 on: October 29, 2015, 08:34:56 PM »
Great stuff Cav, those spiders are ace and I really like the combination of new autarch and archon. Totally agree that we will never stop making princes hahaha, mine get phased through and become exarchs or farseers eventually, and one reason I'm so stupendously stoked for the corsairs is because of the coterie: so many princes, barons, void dreamers and felarchs will be needed, and they will all be individual, pistol-toting space pirate badasses!

From a rules POV I find the mandatory heavy choice for a coterie a bit weird, but that and the new rules really make the warp hunter pop, that's for sure! And night wing getting cheaper -- sign me up! Curious to hear about you vyper vision and what is going to change there -- I'm thinking  base points with scout for free is kind of amazing, plus a few points for chain snares so the little vyper that could suddenly can tank shock like a ruffian! Love it! Outflank that bad boy info some squishy back lines and tank shock all their cultists/fire warriors/guardians out of there. Bahaha

Really really excited to see the rules,points and options for the hq choices. That will really affect the rate of new prince model creation haha

EDIT: looks like someone mis-typed and there is not a mandatory heavy choice for the coterie, it is most likely 0-1.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:22:33 PM by Ibushi »
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #510 on: October 30, 2015, 01:33:20 AM »
Beautiful as always!

Wait. What new rules?
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #511 on: October 31, 2015, 12:05:01 AM »

Wait. What new rules?

There's a rumour that the Corsair rules are getting a big update within the next month or so.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #512 on: October 31, 2015, 01:00:37 AM »
That's a forgeworld thing right? Hmmm, sounds promising.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #513 on: November 3, 2015, 01:27:58 PM »
@Grizzlykin- Thanks man! I'm glad you are enjoying the new stuff. I'm very happy with how everything is coming out. Now I'm just waiting to get my hands on IA11. I'm super pumped about the new Jetbikes. I'm definitley planning on mounting some brightlances, variance cannons on my JB's. So new conversions will be inbound!

@Ibushi- Yes the new Corsair rules look excellent. I'm excited about the Vypers because they are models I want in my collection and now they'll have a chance to do their thing in style with Scouts! Being able to Outflank is huge, because running them with double Shuriken Cannons is definitley the way to go IMO. Hornets, Vypers and even Scorpions all outflanking together should be very fun. On a side-note I've seen the Corsair Prince rules and they are INSANE! I love the one where they can choose artifacts from CW, Harlies and DE codices. Their also paths for them as well... like webway experts etc. Should be awesome!

@Dread- Get your head into the rumor game Dread! Come on!  ;D ;D  ;D! lol Just kidding, but yes new Corsair army list with Craftworld updates in the new Imperial Armor 11 2nd edition!

@Everyone- Hey guys. Been slowly working on my stuff. Working on Night Haunter ate up a lot of my time. Now I have Sevatar and a Chaos Termie lord to do.. so I wont be blasting through a new units any time soon. However I have gotten good work done on my Crimson Hunter!

However there is a bit of bad news to relate as well. For whatever reason the 40k scene at my local store seems to have completely died. For the past 2 months my friend Chris and I are the only ones playing 40k on saturdays. I know there is a thursday night crowd, but I've never been to the store during those hours and it just isn't possible for me to play on a weeknight starting at 7:30 at night. Its sad but the store-owners are just not into 40k. Its not that they dislike it, but the terrain is absolute shambles, there are no actual boards beyond a single FAT mat, meaning your playing on a bare table if the FAT mat is taken. No events, no tournaments (despite my best efforts) and just no love in general. I think people are playing at other stores especially the new GW store.

I'm trying to weigh my options and find some new opponents but its not looking good. The only other option would be to drive up to the actual Games-Workshop which is over an hour a way which is very tough for me. I have a very bad back and 5+ hours of driving and playing really sucks the life out of any enjoyment.

My brother and I are working feverishly to get our place setup for regular 40k gaming which is a multi-part project.

#1 is finishing our terrain projects because when we start playing we want to start with Imperial Armor 11 campaign right off the bat. Its Eldar Corsairs vs. Cadian 6th regiment so its a no-brainer.

#2 The other part is setting up a place to play. Its a royal pain using the board we have as it spills little bits of sand all over the place everytime its brought in from the garage. So we are probably going to have to make new board, or get a gaming mat.

#3 Mixing things up is another huge part of it. We want to be able to make a variety of terrain sets. Our first wasteland board is all but complete. The second setup is going to be an elaborate city-fight board. Also a 3rd army so we're not just bashing IG vs. Eldar all the time. So while I REALLY want to paint up a Dark Angels army, Chaos may take precedence so we can run our own original campaigns but also just keep a running narrative which we've had in the works a long time.

Who knows though... maybe things will pick up at the store but I'm not betting on it. In a way its a good thing because my brother and I are on the same wavelength and if we can provide enough variety at home we circumvent all the irritation of the pickup scene. So while the pickup scene may have dried up my drive to play and paint hasn't! Expect a ton of new things coming down the pipe and as always stay-tuned there is a lot more inbound!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #514 on: November 3, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
That Crimson Hunter looks great.  I know that I've alluded to this before, but I keep thinking about Red Venom (from Manta Force) and Flash Gordon every time I look at it.  You really did work out your choice of colours very well.  This has to be one of my favourite Eldar armies, from a painting perspective, of all time :).

I'm sorry to hear about the plight of your local 40K gaming community.  How much space do you have at home?  The solution seems to be to play there as often as you can.  Back during the days of second edition 40K, my friends used to come around my parent's house and we'd cram into the spare room to play around the 6'4' gaming surface, covered with all sorts of terrain.  All the component parts are still here, there's just no reason for them to come out any more, since nobody I know plays 40K any more, and the current rules are not for me either.

So long as you have a reasonably sized room which can temporarily serve as a gaming space for one day at the weekend, it's a great way to play games in the style which you prefer.  It's also a more relaxed atmosphere than in a store.  However, if space is a problem, is there any way you could take your own terrain pieces down to the store to use?  Or is that too impractical?

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #515 on: November 4, 2015, 03:08:37 AM »
Yup, don't have internet on computer anymore so just using my tablet. I have to count on ya'll for what's up. Hahaha.

Haven't been in the game for a bit, been building my hotrod and playing x-wing. Next Wednesday the have a 2k game set up. Taking my Elder Saim Hann set up. May even do a batrep and pics.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #516 on: November 4, 2015, 05:37:34 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your local gaming group too.  It's a problem I can completely understand and sympathise with as it's pretty much what happened to me as well.  I'm the only one of my original group who's still into 40k.  Sometimes I think I need to stop trying and give it up.  But on the plus side, at least all those fliers you made look amazing  Flash Gordon is exactly what I thought of too!  :D
« Last Edit: November 4, 2015, 05:39:11 AM by Skitarii Tangi »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #517 on: November 4, 2015, 07:41:03 AM »
@Irisado- Thanks as always for your comments Irisado. They are always appreciated. Glad you like the Crimson Hunter, its a great looking model and I love the way it looks with my other flyers. I can't wait to play an Apocalypse game with all my flyers. What a spectacle, and what firepower!

As to the gaming situation: I actually have plenty of space at home to setup a game temporarily, but no place to leave something setup even for a weekend (damn cats!). My brother and I were talking yesterday and we basically need to get an Urban FAT Mat and build a new wasteland board. A new wasteland board with minimal sand/ballast with a good healthy layer of paint rolled out over it to keep the "flock" from coming off like the original one we own. That way set up will be clean and easy. Who feels like vacuuming after a game!

As for bringing the terrain to the store, I've actually been doing that for 2 years, and boy what a pain! Packing up the night before, and then putting everything back in my truck for the ride home was really tedious, not to mention everything getting banged up. Its one of the reasons I'm actually looking forward to playing at home. Despite being a pain I did like providing all the terrain so my opponents had a nice setup to play. For awhile it was really bringing some real buzz to the store, and people who stopped by even during the ultra-slow period I'm in now really get excited about it. So that was fun and a number of kids getting their parents to buy them the Dark Vengeance simply from seeing me and my friend Chris playing with our fully painted armies was a real kick too.

While I am a little bummed about not meeting new players and new armies, I'm actually a bit more reinvigorated. I've been watching a lot of bat-reps lately and those guys play the same dudes over and over again but everyone has a variety of armies and boards and everything looks good, and playstyle is predetermined which eliminates a lot of the "40k Angst" which I feel just like everyone else. No one likes playing "That Guy" or getting list-tailored against. So eliminating those problems and doubling down on thematic games, channeling competitiveness into winning campaigns and playing with awesome terrain and painted armies is way more rewarding. I'm just excited to see where it all leads! Thanks again for your feedback Irisado. I hope you can find a gaming group or just a couple of people to play 40k the way you like!

@Dread- A hot rod? You lucky son of a.... X-Wing looks cool. I've thought about getting into it but everytime I do I'm like "but I could by a new Eldar unit instead!" lol Anyway yes please take some pics and let us know how the game went.

@Tangi- Yeah it can really suck losing your gaming group. Its happened to me a couple of times. The first time was probably the hardest though. My first gaming store was absolutely legendary! The store-owner was a 2-time Golden Demon Winner (Epic Ultramarines and a Hellhound in the very 1st Sister of Battles White Dwarf for proof!), and NO ONE was allowed to play without a painted army... and everyone had huge fully painted armies. We're talking 5-6000 points of all metal Imperial Guard (in 2nd edition which means more like 10,000-12,000 points now), Titans, enormous Eldar, Space Wolves, Sisters, Tyranid armies, 6+ boards with tons of terrain. But the owner got hired by GW and the guy who took over the store dropped the ball and the store closed after 10 years of huge success.

I wouldn't give-up though. Even if you have just a few people to play with playing campaigns (the Forge World ones are excellent) and such can really invigorate a gaming group. Hopefully I'll be able to share some easy to replicate templates with all you guys and you can give it a spin with your gaming buddies.

@Everyone- Thanks so much for your comments everybody. Stay-tuned I've got some really interesting things in the works which may really shake-up things on this project-log. Stay tuned!!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #518 on: November 8, 2015, 08:50:51 AM »
Hey guys. Well the unexpected happened and some new people were looking to play 40k at my store yesterday! So I took them up on the chance and was very glad I did... because we played a unique scenario and got the chance to play against SLAANESH and Colonel Shaffer's Last Chancers (using 4th ed. rules and all).

My opponents were a very nice couple and they had all fully painted models. I can't tell you how excited I was to finally play against Slaanesh and there were plenty of truly awesome moments in the game as well.

So the scenario was simple. The Eldar Corsairs were raiding a world and discovered a Slaanesh force stalking through the ruins of an Imperial World (represented by Crusade) while Colonel Shaffer and his Last Chancers were searching for an Imperial Guard Command Squad. Hidden on the battlefield the Imperial Guard Command Squad was represented by a token, when within 6" of the token the Squad would be placed on the board and would then be eligble to be attacked. The goal of the Last Chancers from escorting the Command Squad off the board, while killing the Priest, Commissar or Commander granted bonus victory points. This was played into a campaign between the couple and made for some very enjoyable moments during the game.

Forces of Slaanesh
Notes-So on to the game! The Daemon force was not at all optimized and was simply made for the enjoyment Ashleigh and fun thematic games but they looked very nice.

Daemon Prince- Wings, some artifacts
Daemon Prince- bunch of artifacts
Chaos Lord- Terminator Armor, Relics
Seekers of Slaanesh- Heartseeker, Insturment of Chaos
Daemonettes- Aluress, Insturment of Chaos
Noise Marines- Sonic Blasters, 1x Blaster Master, Icon of Excess
Raptors x10- Aspiring Champion- Power Fist
Chaos Space Marines- Icon of Excess
Hellbrute- Lascannon, Thunderhammer

Eldar Corsairs
Notes- Not knowing the armies, or level of competitiveness of the force beforehand I brought what I thought was a "middle of the road" list. Good punch with my Jetbikes and Wraithknight, but also under-rated units such as Scorpions, Wraithblades and footbased HQ's. If I had known I was playing Daemons of Slaanesh I would have dropped the Wraithknight in favor of the Avatar but that'll have to be saved for the re-match.

Autarch- Banshee Mask, Firesabre
Spirit Seer (Telepathy: Psychic Shriek, Mental Fortitude, Hallucination)
Wraithblades x5- Axes
Striking Scorpions x9- Exarch, Claw
Dire Avengers x8
     Wave Serpent- Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
Jetbikes x3- Scatter Lasers x3
Hornets x2- Pulse Lasers
Nightwing
Wraithknight- Distorion Cannons, Scatter Laser

Apologies for not taking a photo of the board set-up. But basically we each had a bunch of LOS blocking terrain in our deployment zones, with some big rocky outcroppings in the middle to provide cover. So I won the roll to deploy and go first (which I did) so lets go on to...

Turn 1

Eldar- So tucked my Scorpions, a squad of Jetbikes and Wraitblades into a ruin on the left hand-side supported by a Wave Serpent which were opposite the Seekers of Slaansh, the Noise Marines, and near to the token where the Command Squad was hidden.

Central was the Wraithknight, with my Warp Spiders (which I forgot to bring and had to proxy  :'( :-[ :'( ) 2 squads of Jetbikes and my Hornets opposite the Chaos Space Marines, their Lord the Hellbrute but also within striking distance of the Winged Daemon Prince.

So I kept my Scorpions back, but ran up with my Wraithguard and after a little of shuffling with my Jetbikes, just to peek out of LOS (not that it mattered with her total lack of fire beyond 24") I unleashed in the shooting phase. I completley wiffed with the Wraithknight! Which was really funny because an observing played called ones on each roll. It was really a laugh and I was glad the big man wasn't demolishing things turn 1, cause the Jetbikes ended up downing the Winged Prince who while in cover, could have been in LOS blocking terrain. An easy mistake to make for someone relatively new to the game. But boy what a kill for my Jetbikes. Battle honors time! Also shot-up the Seekers of Slaanesh killing 3 of them despite Feel No Pain and 4+ cover. The Warp Spiders began their long trek to the right side of the board where most of the Daemon force was located. So I grabbed 1st Blood and Warlord on turn 1. Very nice for the Eldar, but more important was the fact that my Jetbikes killed a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh! It was very exciting and something I won't forget.

Imperial Guard- Meanwhile Colonel Shaffer also showed up on the board. Each guy was an Independent Character so shooting them off the board would be a huge drain of fire being able to shoot only a single model at a time. If they reach the Command Squad there was a Master of Ordnance in there which certainly concerned me influencing turn 2...

Slaanesh- So while the loss of the Prince was certainly significant, much of the force was still intact. The Chaos Marines and their lord moved forward to camp on an objective. The Striders of Slaanesh boldly ran from cover-to-cover despite the bristling guns to try and get into assault. The Raptors jumped out to a central position behind a huge piece of cover. The Hellbrute turned and fired on the Wraithknight knocking up a wound, while the Noise Marines positioned themselves in a ruin to try and get a target.

Turn 2

Eldar

So with Colonel Shaffer and all the crazy hijinks his squad is capable of I decided I couldn't let him achieve his mission. Furthermore they stood between me and the biggest chunk of Slaanesh forces and therefore needed to be removed for their foolishness! So my Scorpions jumped out of cover with the Wraithblades, my Corsair Prince and his Void Dreamer trailing just behind them. My jetbikes on the right flank shot-up the Seekers of Slaansh reducing them to just 2 models, while the Wave Serpent fired into the Noise Marines to little effect. The Hornets ended up blowing up the Hellbrute on the right flank, while one squad of Jetbikes killed 2 Space Marines also on the right flank and my 3rd unit of Jetbikes killed 5! Raptors which were in the dead center of the board.

My Scorpions had moved within 6" of the hidden Command Squad and were able to assault them making for a really awesome moment. So the Scorpions charged and wiped out a bunch of guys with Hammer of Wrath. My Exarch challenged the Company Commander and beheaded him with a whopping 5 high strength AP 2 attacks! These were the 1st kills for my Scorpions and it was great that I was issuing challenges and the whole nine-yards. However what made it even more fun was the Commissar in the squad passed all his Invuln. Saves and killed two Striking Scorpions in return and amazingly he passed his Leadership test and held... with Striders of Slaanesh closing in...

Imperial Guard

Enraged at the loss of his rescue target Colonel Shaffer and his men unleashed on the Scorpions killing 3 of them reducing the squad to just 4. The rest fanned out to make a screen blocking the Wraithblades from rescuing them. While not dishing out a ton of damage they were certainly disrupting things making life difficult for the Eldar and setting up the forces of Slaanesh for an assault.

Slaanesh

So Ashleigh failed to bring in her Daemonnetes via Deepstrike, but one of her Daemon Princes did arrive and dropped down right amidst Colonel Shaffer's men making a charge difficult for my Wraithblades. The Seekers moved out to nab the Scorpions in combat, while meanwhile Raptors also moved out towards the Scorpions using only a 6" move so they could re-roll assault distances.

So onto the main event! The Seekers charged into the Scorpions, and the Raptors made an amazing 12" charge on the re-roll! Here we go this is what 40k is all about. So the Heart Seeker challenges the Exarch and I accept. The Alluress goes first (I think) but the Scorpions armor protects him. In furious retaliation the Exarch nails Heart Seeker all 3 times and she fails to of her saves and is slain! Oh what glory for my Exarch! The other Scorpions kill the other Seeker but are also felled as they are going simultaneously. Yet the fight is not over, the Raptors come hurtling in the Aspiring Champion slams my Exarch with his powerfist felling him. Oh if only he could have survived that attack, but slaying both the Company Commander and the Heartseeker is truly legendary. I couldn't have been happier and it really was a very memorable moment.

Further Highlights

Sadly the rest of the game was largely mop-up action. Without any long range fire to speak of, the forces of Slaanesh were being torn up at range without any real ability to damage of any sort. My Warp Spiders made it all the way across the board and tore up the majority of Colonel Shaffer's unit (including Shaffer himself) while my Corsair Prince and his retinue made it into glorious combat with the other Daemon Prince reducing him to a single wound before we called the game. I desperately wanted to kill that Daemon Prince for the sake of glory but with the game in hand thought it was best to call the game before any feelings could be soured.

Concluding Thoughts

This was a great fun game. I wish it could've been a more even contest but units were destroyed on boths sides and some very memorable combats took place that I will not soon forget. This was really one of my most enjoyable game. As soon as I realized Slaanesh was hitting the table I felt my Eldar pride go into over-drive. I would fully embrace the fluff on this one, throwing my Corsair Prince and his close-combat units head on into the action, issuing challenges and taking no prisoners.

I have plans to play Ashleigh's fiance in a Guard vs. Eldar game sometime in the future, and also play Ashleigh again this time bringing the all-mighty Avatar for a truly epic clash.

Anyway guys hope you enjoyed the bat-rep though it was a short one (as my games always tend to be win, lose or draw). Stay-tuned as always, I've got a ton of terrain updates headed your way from some great 3rd party model makers. My board is going to look far better next time you see it. Thanks for stopping by and happy wargaming.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: November 8, 2015, 01:11:49 PM »
Thanks for that report.  It's always especially satisfying for the Eldar to defeat the forces of Slaanesh.  The Striking Scorpion Exarch was the star performer in this game.  What a tally!  Your Jetbikes also inflicted an impressive amount of damage, something mine never achieved on the few occasions which they were used.

The quality of the painting on show on all sides is really impressive, which makes for some really great photos to accompany the report.