News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Death Strike Or Rainbow Warriors?  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Death Strike Or Rainbow Warriors?
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »
I've got the Primarus Marines, but I ain't got the Chapter yet.  :-\

But I have two in mind, The Deathstrike and the Rainbow Warriors.  They're very similar to each other, both being blue and both having the same chapter symbol.  And it's that chapter symbol that won me over.  It's a winged lighting bolt!  How can you argue with that!  Also, the history of both Chapter is quite vague so I can fill in the gaps.

Which one should I go for?  Should I make up my own Chapter that uses elements of their design?  I'm wracking my brains over this and I would love some advice.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Death Strike Or Rainbow Warriors?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »
Deathstrike wins over Rainbow Warriors for me, if nothing else than for the name alone. Deathstrike has a certain level of wickedness, where Rainbow Warriors sounds like something my six year daughter came up with.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 12:36:42 AM »
G'day Cap!
Go the Rainbow Warriors, mate. Can you imagine the faces on the gamer's you beat.
Defeated by an army named the Rainbow Warriors... Bwahaha! They'll never live that down. 

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »
You both make good points!   ;D

Ah, I think I'm just going to have to make up my own chapter or something.  I honestly can't decide!  :-\

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
Like I said elsewhere... DEATH STRIKE! It such a badass name, the colors, the chapter badge and that fearsome name are epic.

Just say it out loud to yourself Death. Strike. Space Marines. EPIC!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
Is it just the Chapter symbol that you are interested in or do you actually like the blue colour scheme as well? For me they are just too similar to the Ultramarine's to make them interesting. I think you should keep the symbol and create your own Chapter with a colour that isn't blue.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:27:18 AM »
Both chapters have the exact same color scheme and chapter symbol. What's the difference?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 09:43:43 AM »
The difference is the rainbow strip on the helmet I believe.

I think that's a great idea Alienscar. I agree that the blue may be a little bland and ultramarinish, but the chapter symbol is just too good to pass up on.

I think an offshoot would work well. Definitely keep Death in the name and call them the Death Stalkers or the Death Shrouds or if you're going to try and be ironic, you can do a subset off the Rainbow Warriors and call them the Sparkle Brigade. Or you can combine the two and call them the Death Warriors. What kind of chapter tactics are you thinking of? That chapter symbol would look great with almost any colour scheme.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
Like I said elsewhere... DEATH STRIKE! It such a badass name, the colors, the chapter badge and that fearsome name are epic.

Just say it out loud to yourself Death. Strike. Space Marines. EPIC!

You make a good point.  ;)

Is it just the Chapter symbol that you are interested in or do you actually like the blue colour scheme as well? For me they are just too similar to the Ultramarine's to make them interesting. I think you should keep the symbol and create your own Chapter with a colour that isn't blue.

Yes it's literally that Chapter symbol, and in the case of the Rainbow Warriors, their interesting stripe.  I think I will take elements of both chapters and combine them together.

The difference is the rainbow strip on the helmet I believe.

I think that's a great idea Alienscar. I agree that the blue may be a little bland and ultramarinish, but the chapter symbol is just too good to pass up on.

I think an offshoot would work well. Definitely keep Death in the name and call them the Death Stalkers or the Death Shrouds or if you're going to try and be ironic, you can do a subset off the Rainbow Warriors and call them the Sparkle Brigade. Or you can combine the two and call them the Death Warriors. What kind of chapter tactics are you thinking of? That chapter symbol would look great with almost any colour scheme.

I quite like the Raven Guard's stealthy tactics.  Hell, for a while I was considering doing the Raptor chapter, but their green against the green of my friends Death Guard put me off. 

But inspired by the Rainbow Warriors Aztec theme, what about a chapter that are effectively catachans as space marines?  Death world jungle planet, tribal, hunters, sneaky etc.  But ones who are brightly coloured?  Sound interesting?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:54:38 AM by Captain Calamity »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
One thing I have yet to see and I think it would look brilliant and fit with your catachan theme is to go with a camo pattern on power armour. There are infinite colour combinations to choose from, but if you like the green, you can add enough variation with browns and/or blacks to make them stand out from the Death Guard. The standard jungle camo pattern (think Vietnam War) would work very well.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »
You know, I have often wondered if I should do camo on my marines.  It would be a really unique way to do things.  However, if I was to do so I think I would still keep them quite glaring.  It's the whole philosophy the marines have you know?

I've also been thinking about rarely used colours.  By any chance, does anyone know of any loyalist marines who wear purple?  I can't remember ever seeing any, and I've been playing around with the space marine painter and...dark purple power armour is quite intimating.   

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 08:52:51 AM »
Check out Winters_SEO on youtube. He's got partial camo patterned Space Marines and they look brilliant.

About purple Marines... Soul Drinkers were loyal for awhile (may still be... I know they went renegade at a certain point, but they may have been exonerated). They look very solid.

I still think the Death Strike dudes look incredible. That dark Kantor Blue with the Y'riel Yellow markings looks absolutley incredible. For a simple recipe I'd base them Kantor Blue with a strong nuln oil wash... get them really dark and then just do a little clean up with Kantor and minimal highlights. Give them a blue-black type appearance with those bright yellow markings... I'm telling you it'd look ace!

I've done Pre-Heresy Emperor's Children and they look good... but not very intimidating unless you do a lot of weathering and really work those metallics with some interesting washes.

GW Blues are amazing and really easy to work with. I say Death Strike all the way. Sick colors, awesome name and easy paints to work with. Thats the holy trinity of hobby goodness!  8) 8) 8)

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »
You do make compelling arguments Cav.  ;)

I do like how they're also Imperial Fist successors, so they a little bit different.  However, a friend recommended an ivory and purple quartered pattern and it looks amazing too:

Except for the green trim.  That was a mistake.  It would be hard to do though, probably.  Another friend suggested using black ink and clear purple paint over a grey base coat to get a smokey effect, rather than just using a flat colour.  Which could work with other colours.  That would be a good compromise over the camo issue. 

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
G'day Cap!
All colours provoke different emotions, eg: Blue is responsibility, yellow is friendly. Purple, however, is sexually frustrated. This is why Cadbury chocolate uses it. Not a very intimidating colour choice, mate.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
Yellow may be friendly, but how do you explain the imperial fists?  ;)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 01:12:10 AM »
That's why I didn't like them for some time. However, when painted yellow and black, they take on the ora of dangerous. Like the stingy insects or a hazard sign.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »
Sorry bud, not feeling the purple and bone. Just too busy and pastel.

DEATH STRIKE! DEATH STRIKE!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »
Another friend suggested using black ink and clear purple paint over a grey base coat to get a smokey effect, rather than just using a flat colour.  Which could work with other colours.  That would be a good compromise over the camo issue.

I like the sound of that colour scheme. If not that one I think you should use purple but not in a quartered scheme as I think that sort of paint scheme is too difficult and maybe too tedious to produce for a whole army. What about purple as the main colour and use bone as the colour for the helmet stripe as a nod to the Death Strike.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »
Why not Hawk Lords? Purple and gold, they use the Raven Guard logo and love flyers

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »
@ Alienscar

So death strike patterns but purple and irony colours?  That sounds good.

Incidents, does GW still do an airbrush?

@ Rayvn70

Damn, they do look good.  I especially like the skilled pilots angle and the fact that they are fighting around the eye of terror, so it makes sense for them to be fighting the death guard.

Is it possible to paint transfers?  If I can get those raven guard badges yellow i might be able to go this.