News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 62078 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords
« Reply #40 on: August 5, 2017, 08:06:01 PM »
Hello again folks!  Minor update, but I've finished another Arkanauht Company.  This one features a minor conversion.  The captain has a spare sky warden's head.  The beards a little short but it's more armoured looking so I think it works out ok.

I was to do those Marine shoulder pads today but something came up.  I should be able to do that tomorrow.  And this week I should be able to get the paints in and start painting!  About time too am I right?  ;)

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »
Before I commit to painting, what do you guys think of this scheme:

That's actually the scheme of the Hammers Of Sigmar stormcast eternals.  It looks good on power armour doesn't it?  Also, the best thing is, the black armoured chaplains, blue armoured Librarians, white armoured apothecaries and red armoured techmarines would really stand out against the rank and file.  And that winged lightning bolt would look good on them too right?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2017, 03:19:42 AM »
Before I commit to painting, what do you guys think of this scheme:

Don't know about anyone else Captain Calamity but I can't comment on your paint scheme as there is no picture showing. The link is obviously something to do with Bolter and Chainsword but I can't get it to work.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2017, 06:22:26 AM »
Damn, sorry about that.  Try this link instead.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »
Yeah it'd look sweet man. I have only 2 bits of advice.... the Retributor Gold primer doesnt exactly match Retributor in the pot. But with a super quick and dirty dry brushing of Retributor from the pot you'll never know. It takes all of 30 seconds to do (no exaggeration). My other bit of advice... is that gold can look very loud over an entire army. Also check out the Custodes flyer from FW for ideas on balancing the colors on vehicles and the like.

The plus side is you really don't need to highlight the Gold, hit with Reikland Fleshwash. Re-touch with Retributor and you are done. I'd hit it with just a little Liberator is you absolutley need to highlight something, but Retributor is a phenomenal paint. One of the best in the range and a dream to work with.

I still prefer the Deathstrike Chapter myself. The magcragge blue is super nice to work with and can look really sinister with a dark wash.

Either way it'll look great. Now get painting!  8)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2017, 09:47:38 AM »
Not trying to put you off doing it but that's basically a blue helmet and Aquila away from being the Celestial Lions Chapter  ::)

Linky link

I've considered that scheme if I ever did a Marine Army properly and have played around with the gold tones a bunch - no pics sorry as I lost my HDD when my PC went kerfluff last week :( - but they look really good with more stark gold as well as much warmer tones as well - it's all about balancing the blue with whichever tone your gold come out at
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 03:09:17 PM »
Update!  I bought the paints I need!  And after much much thought, I've decided to do the celestial Lions.  They tick all my boxes; relatively obscure, vague enough for you to fill in the gaps, nearly destroyed thus justifying large numbers of Primarus marines and they have a be-atching paint scheme.

It does mean that those winged lighting bolts I bought will have to wait for a new project though.  :P

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 06:18:20 PM »
Celestial Lions are a great choice :) although I'm generally dead-set against most noblebright in the 40k universe I actually quite like their fluff. I think most of the reason I dislike noblebright is it tends to be implemented hamfistedly, whereas these guys seem pretty well done.

I would pay attention to how much of the scheme is dominated by gold (and that's coming from me who is pretty much Mr Mono-Colour). Not that it's a bad thing at all, or even something to be concerned about, but it's something to pay attention to. I've found you can actually get tons of variation in shades of metallics with very little effort (and very few paints) though :)

Gold with a Reikland wash. Gold with a Reikland wash and go back over with the base gold. Gold with two Reikland washes. Gold with a Reikland wash and a drybrush of a lighter gold/silver. Gold drybrushed over a black undercoat. Gold drybrushed over a brown undercoat.

All of that will come up with some really different textures of gold that you can use to break up and differentiate between different materials in a Marine's armour (like the main panels, pauldrons, trim and embellishment, flexible joints etc.), and all with maybe 5 colours. 80% of that can be done with 3 colours and a spray primer.

Oh, and I strongly encourage you to have a crack at weathering. It's something I've just discovered and it's both dead simple and would look awesome having these shining golden warriors looking battered and worn. Nothing but Rhinox Hide drybrushed upwards ;) can always paint back over if you don't like it :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 06:19:14 PM »
Awesome!  Thank you for the advice Ynneadwraith!  :)

Also I proudly present the first coat on the first squad.  They're primed in abaddon black and sprayed retributor gold.  I wasn't sure about applying two coats but I was strongly advised to do so.  They said the gold might not stick right if sprayed directly on.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 08:03:18 AM »
Looks awesome! The project has truly started. Good call on the chaos black undercoat. Highly recommended.

Now make sure you give a quick and dirty brush coat of Retributor from the pot (like just 10-30 seconds worth of brush painting on each dude) so the colors match, because there is a slight but noticeable difference between pot and primer.

Also...PRO TIP! You can use Reikland flesh to shade blue and you'll get a super deep black shade. I do it all the time and it looks great! Especially on the rim of the shoulder pads. Just run it carefully in the crease of the shoulder pad rim and you'll be all set.

Good luck Tangi!!!  8)

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2017, 05:59:32 PM »
Thank you so much for the advice Cavalier!  You're right, the potted gold is really different in tone to the spray!  And I didn't realise you could use reikland flesh on blue!  You saved me a trip to the store.  ;D

But now...crunch time!  My first painting project in years.  I sincerely hope I didn't balls it up!  :P

And sorry for the poor photo.  My camera isn't very good and it's dark here now.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2017, 06:58:44 AM »
Looking really nice :) i know i bang on about it, but will look stunning with some weathering ;)

Thanks for the tip about reikland on blues. I'd never have thought of that!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2017, 08:02:25 AM »
Looks soooo good! So glad this project has come together nicely for you Tangi. I know you've had modelling problems in the past. Look super good man. Awesome call on this chapter BTW, now that I see them as a unit instead of an individual marine I love it. Killer!!!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2017, 06:36:46 PM »
They now have guns!  8)

That's the squad almost finished!  Just the purity seals, bases and minor touch ups to do.  Then I'll expand this squad to ten men! 

Thanks for watching!  :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2017, 08:18:35 AM »
Super super nice man. That blue is just amazing looking. Wow what a great scheme. So glad this project is going well for you Tangi. Can't wait for some bat-reps!  ;D  ;)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2017, 06:45:33 PM »
They are looking super fine CC. The gold is really lush and the blue has a wonderful richness and depth. Excellent work man!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
Thank you again guys!  I'm so happy the scheme and the style is going down so well!   :)

I do hope to provide a report on my next battle.  In the meantime, have an Overlord frigate!  I now have a minimum sized Iron Sky Squadron!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #57 on: September 1, 2017, 05:57:09 AM »
WOW Cap!
The gold and blue really go well together. Good call. Have you thought about painting the chest emblem ushabti bone? It would stand out a lot more against the gold than another metallic color. Enjoying your journey, mate... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #58 on: September 2, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »
@ Saim-dann

Thank you, glad you like them! :)

I didn't think of that, but the standard colour for the Lions chest plate is black.  I'm following the rule book as it were.  ;D

This reminds me; sergeants wear black helmets, but I don't know what colour helmets lieutenants and captains wear.  I'll need to find that out!

In the meantime, enjoy some more Intercessors!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #59 on: September 3, 2017, 06:33:12 AM »
OH-MY-GIDDY-AUNT!!
They look amazing, Cap. They are going to be intimidating on the table. How are you going to do their transports? Gold with blue trim? Or blue with gold trim so the troop stands out on their own?
Thank you for sharing. Enjoying your journey... Be well!

PS: Happy Fathers Day... Assuming you are one.