News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Great Orky Gift  (Read 3482 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
A Great Orky Gift
« on: January 14, 2016, 06:42:56 PM »
Monday I endured/enjoyed that horrifying mile marker of my 30th birthday. That night, as we were mourning Bowie and celebrating my birth (an odd mix that) my main skumgrod of the past couple months surprised me by saying that there was a couple of packages on the way. Today part one of his gift came and I had to share

11 Old school 2nd edition starter set Orks. It appears the previous owner was attempting a conversion to rid them of their horns and gave up, with any luck some minor cleanup and paint will have them looking dead ard!

28 Old school 2nd edition starter set Grots, it's the first time I've managed to see these in person, and even though they're static clones, I'm down to paint them up and play them with minimal modification (planning on just putting on a new barrel of the gunner that's strangely missing one)

2nd edition metal Ork Warboss, specifically the same type as the one converted into the original Ghaz! Don't know yet if I'll be chopping him to recreate that classic, it would seem a shame to, but I can't tell if I can resist the temptation.

For anyone who needs or wants a size comparison to these old school minis, here's one from the workbench (he needs a replacement shoulder pad, was originally an assault on black reach boy)

What blows my mind most though is that apparently this is only part one, and that the next box is apparently "the heavy one." That's the only hint I get as to what box 2 will be.  So I'm naturally shocked by my bud's generosity, and now feel I need to prepare an equally amazing thing for his upcoming birthday, anyone have any ideas?

Peace
~OD

Post Script: first time I've tried writing on the new iPad, and dang is it difficult! Oh technology I'm slowly catching up to you!
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: A Great Orky Gift
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:32:09 PM »
What an awesome score! I remember having loads of those guys. I particularly liked the grots with their autoguns. I'm crossing my fingers for ya that the next package is an old school battlewagon or better yet a deff dread.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 10:45:11 PM »
I expect it's the Foot of Gork.

Well earned and well deserved.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:55:49 AM »
This brings back memories.  I used to own 40 of those second edition plastic Gretchin, a whole bunch of those plastic Goff Orks and Ghazghull.  My second edition Ork army was pretty large actually.  I sold most of it some years ago.

It looks to me as though you've got a very good deal there.  I always loved the second edition and Rogue Trader Ork models because they brought a bit of comedy to the game.  They might be a bit dwarfed by the contemporary models, but they still look the part in my opinion.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 04:03:08 PM »
Great looking haul, so far...

I've got literally a bag full of those plastics...not sure what I'm going to use them for though...The metal Ghaz, priceless!  I always wanted one and now I know someone who has one.

Next box?  Armorcast Ork titan?  Old battlewagon?  Or...RT old lead figures?  It boggles the imagination...I use my old metal mad boyz for shootas...the poses are great and very unique for the table...

Happy Birthday (late)...hey, I can't even get birthday wishes on time for my relations, let alone the forum...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 09:33:46 AM »
Some good stuff there, and I know that with the magic that is "OD from TV" you will have those models looking extremely orky in no time. Looking forward to seeing the after pictures.

Oh, and belated birthday wish thingy... ummmm, sorry to see your getting so old...  ::)
I personally plan on living to be 200, so I am not even middle aged yet  ;)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 06:32:53 PM »
Thanks to you all for your kind words and birthday wishes.  So my neighbor just dropped by handing me this package of awesome that was delivered to him by mistake, and I think I just have to say (in my best Burt Ward voice);
Great gods of heavy metal, my buddy wasn't kidding about heavy!  So this was a huge dump of GW pewter, oh metal models how much I’ve missed thee!

It’s far more Eldar than I was expecting, but who needs a new thread?  After all there is some Ork in this; so whats in the haul?

9 Fire Dragons (2 with damaged guns, 1 in need of base)
4 Harlequins (1 Power Axe and pistol, 1 pistoler, 1 pistol CCW, 1 Power Sword whose body is snapped in half, presumably for jetbike conversion)
3 incredibly oldschool Jetbikes (all unassembled, 2 Harlequin Covers, 1 pistol torso, 3 sets of legs, 1 Harlequin Solitare torso w/Powersword and Pistol, missing 1 control console)
4 Rangers…err Eldar Scouts (1 missing head, 1 a dual pistoler)
Eldrad
Maugan Ra
12 Guardians most of which appear to be Rogue Trader 1st wave Eldar (1Pfist and flamer with minor damage to gun, 1 dual machine pistols, 2 heavy guns, 3 Webber guns, 1 Pfist pistol, 1 Pfist powersword, 1 powersword and I assume fusion pistol, 1 unidentifed handgun, and 1 heavy chainsword pistol)
2 Swooping Hawks
2 Banshees
3 Dark Reapers (only 2 guns)
Dark Reaper Exarch (damaged Shuriken Cannon tip, appears melted somehow
Scorpion Exarch w Biting Blade
Avenger Exarch with a very Chaos styled Helmet faceplate, perhaps I misidentified it
Both styles of 3rd Edition Dark Eldar Lord (unfortunately the male one is missing the wicked Power Claw looking arm and his pistol, but still perfectly good)
1 DE Mandrake 3rd Edition
1 DE Incubi 3rd Edition
3 Warwalkers (2 are older style where the pilot has their legs seperate, missing 2 sets of warwalker legs, 3 gunshields, rear powerplants
1 Wraithguard
3 Wraithlords (4 right legs oddly, 3 right arms, 1 left arm, 1 torso w oldschool wraithlord weapon mount, missing 1-2 left arms
3 Necromunda characters (2 with heavy coats I'm assuming they're Goliath faction
1 odd fantasy model with missing forarms, assuming river troll
1 fanstasy minotaur missing arms and head
1 incredibly oldschool Chaos Spawn with missing tail and 2 front inserts
The front gun and plate of a 2nd edition Demolisher upgrade kit
top torso of a Blood Bowl character of some sort, probably Chaos due to Spikes
Inquisitor range dude missing right hand, left arm, and head which appears sawn off
Inquisitor range SM backpack
2nd Edition Zoanthrope
3 old school lascannons
1 unidentifed heavy weapon gun
1 heavily damaged Eldar Scatter laser with the front sawn off
Ork MegaNob arm w/kombi Shoota Skorcha
Ghaz center body minor damage
Ghaz Iron gob with a fair amount of twisting

I actually regret not doing an unboxing video for this, its truly amazing stuff!  A lot of Eldar.  And a lot of work to fix these up for table standard.

The truly the amazing finds: the 2nd Ed Zoanthrope (my hands down favorite version, don’t care if they don’t have arms or walk anymore, that head case was one of the coolest minis GW ever produced), Maugan Ra (finally, been trying to get one since 3rd, now there’s only Baharroth missing from my Pheonix Lord Collection), and the (sadly chopped in half) Solitare (this was my absolute favorite Harlequin model with the bandanna and demi-cape, I’m so thrilled to finally get him but also worried about messing up a leg conversion for him)

I really have to figure out how to strip this paint, but more than that I totally have to go to the nines for my bud's birthday.  I mean over all this is around 100 models most of which are 20+ years old.

What do you guys think is better for me to work on as a thankyou/happy birthday gift in response, A Squadron of 5 scratchbuilt Valkyres or a squadron of 5 scratchbuilt Leman Russ? 

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »
Holy crap, any more lead and it'd have come out of a tap in Michigan. Good haul.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 04:41:50 AM »
That is a seriously impressive amount of Rogue Trader and second edition Eldar models.  Are you sure that you're an Ork player :P?

I think that either of your suggested squadrons builds would make for a suitable present, but since I'm a great believer that flyers have no place in 40K, my vote goes to the Lemon Russ squadron.

What's your plan for all these models?  As this is the Ork board, you'd best tell us about how you're going to integrate those into your army first to avoid a rebellion by the greenskins ;).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
Way cool stuff. This should keep you at home at night... ;)

I would post that I am green with envy, but since I am an orky kind of guy I think I am already green, so just some other color of envy.. ???

I don't want to date myself too badly, but I too have metal guardians, and to make you turn a different color; I have all the phoenix lord models in metal as well... 8) Not to mention the square base avatar, etc. etc. etc.

I won't even start on the metal orks that I have, but I do have to mention that all my nobs in trucks are metal, leading plastic boys.

So, as for your buddy make him those dreaded mortar carrying tanks. I forget the name as I am not an IG player, but I was decimated by those three large blast templates for five turns a few games. He had layers of stuff in the way so I couldn't just zoom in for a quick kill and those three big mortar tanks killed about half my army. After three games of getting blown to bits I finally went to outflanking green barons, but that is a different story.

Or, not. As you don't want him to be able to easily table you every game you could instead build him some sandbag emplacements for his troops to stay where you can get to them erm, to use for cover.  ::) However, since you are the master of plastic card I am sure that whatever you build will be good looking.

Now, since this is an ork forum you will have to start a different blog about your building and construction progress, but please post a link so I can sneak over and take a look at what your up to.

Again, congrats on the big haul.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »
Great haul...but eldar?  Come on...hopin' ya still bleed the right shade of green...just sayin'...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 04:20:49 PM »
Holy crap, any more lead and it'd have come out of a tap in Michigan. Good haul.
HA!  In all seriousness... on second thought its probably best not to go into the politics of that.

This should keep you at home at night... ;)
I know right!

Are you sure that you're an Ork player :P?

hopin' ya still bleed the right shade of green...just sayin'...
Well I did start out with Eldar, had a right mean Alaitoc list back in 3rd, how could I not just $12 to get another Troop choice of 3 Rangers when I had 8 potential slots for them plus the option for upgrading them to Pathfinders, your damn right I'd pick up a new Troop choice each week. 

Eldar to me is like your first girlfriend, fond memories, great fun, but somewhere along the way things just didn't work out. Orks on the other hand as become more and more like an abusive wife.  Sure things started out great, and there were a number of amazing years using the 3rd and 4th Edition codexs, but somewhere along the line (actually with the new codex) she just turned into a soul sucking mixture of depression and self inflicted injury to the point that I don't really want to touch them.  This metaphor got really weird and uncomfortable.

As this is the Ork board, you'd best tell us about how you're going to integrate those into your army first to avoid a rebellion by the greenskins ;).
Well I certainly can't allow a rebellion to take place!  I dunno, I suppose I could Orkify some Eldar stuff like I’ve been doing with my Orknid project… hmm, Stormboys with Swooping Hawk wings, ooo! Orky flying contraptions as scatterlaser Jetbikes, Eavy armored Goff Rockers for Banshees, Mega armored Grots as Dark Reapers, I could even do Eavy Armored Mowhawk Orks Avenging the horrible codex.  Crap I think I have to do an Eldritch Ork army now.

I think that either of your suggested squadrons builds would make for a suitable present, but since I'm a great believer that flyers have no place in 40K, my vote goes to the Lemon Russ squadron.
I'm with you on the Flyers, the only hard parts on trying to scratch build Russes is the top hull and the gun canopy. 

So, as for your buddy make him those dreaded mortar carrying tanks.
I think you mean Wyverns, which always seemed weird to me, I mean did GW need to invent a new Mortar tank when they could have just instead brought out a new version of the Colossus or Griffin?  I dunno, maybe the Wyvern's been around longer then I know, never been big on IG I mean AM.  I suppose I could scratch these, would need to get a Chimera kit as a base reference for scratchbuilding, but then I could also scratch Chimeras...

Ok, I guess I'm going to turn my workshop into a Forgeworld, pumping out scratchbuild Russes, Wyverns and Chimeras till I feel I can supply my bud with a suitable gift in return.  Thanks all for your kind words!

Peace
~OD