News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deciding on a KDK list  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Deciding on a KDK list
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:03:43 PM »
Heading on Saturday to a 1500pt '40k classic' event. One Combined Arms Detachment, no lords of war, fortifications or special characters. Missions rely a lot on troops holding objectives.

So, here is the core list which I like. The helbrute supports the Chaos marines (he's pretty good with the extra attacks from the new errata)

Lord goes with the Bloodletters in deepstrike, to shield him from possible grav shots. I used him in a game today, and he did really well for me.

The marines are able to do a variety of work. Bolters and meltaguns for when they disembark, and the Axe of Khorne is great for challeneges (and getting more blood tithe!)

Skullcannon is cheap and can potentially be a mess for models which ignore cover.

This is about 1244pts

Terminator Lord w/MoK, Sigil, Power Axe, Goredrinker

3 terminators with 3 combi-meltas, 1 chainfist

3 x
Chaos Marines x8, meltagun, champ with Axe of Khorne, Rhino

Bloodletters x9, banner of blood, champion

Helbrute
Skllcannon

These are the sort of ideas I have in finishing the list. Leaning most towards 1 and 2, but I like the idea of running the bloodcrushers, but they seems so expensive! What do you folks think?

1)
One of the ideas is to add in a Bloodthirster of Unfetted fury. I just bought the model, and it's really cool. Also, if it dies I can possibly bring it back later with Bloodtithe.

2) a fourth Marine squad (probably with a power weapon, instead of the axe of khorne. Also with a Herald of Khorne (as he's cheap)

More troops, more units and the Herald can ride in a rhino to support the troops, or go with the one of the two deepstriking squads.

3) Adding a unit of three bloodcrushers (with full command), adding a fourth terminator (with a combi-melta and chainfist) and the herald (as there are points). Adds a faster moving unit.

4) Drop the Bloodletters, add in the Bloodcrushers and a flying Daemon Prince. Less deepstriking, but two fast hard hitting units.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Deciding on a KDK list
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:30:22 AM »
I know they're unpopular, but I LOVE Bloodcrushers. Those guys never let me down. Their speed takes everybody off-guard, they've got enough wounds to soak some damage before they get stuck in, and they hit like a ton of bricks.

They don't especially need the Instrument, though, unless you're planning to deepstrike them, too.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 05:14:17 PM »
Good to hear good things about the crushers.

The upgrades are there, as that's what the models have. What do you think then. Option 3 (add bloodcrushers and herald), or 4 (drop blood letters, add prince and crushers)?

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 07:03:30 PM »
I dislike Daemon Princes--they never seem to pull their weight unless they've got a ton of screening monsters. I'd take 27 Bloodletters over them any day, *especially* in a KDK list.

Any chance of putting the Herald on a Crusher, too? That's pretty sweet (though I'm not certain off the top of my head if the KDK get the same Locus options as the Heralds in the Daemons book--that might make the difference).

I guess that might mean dropping Terminator #4, which I'd be reluctant to do overall, as I think 3 Termies aren't generally enough to pull their weight.

Anyway, don't ditch Bloodletters for Daemon Princes. Princes drop like a sack of bricks to any concentrated heavy weapons fire, whereas Bloodletters are often surprisingly resilient and stand to earn you a bunch of Blood Tithe in the process.

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 08:28:02 PM »
The loci work the same as on the daemon book, except they work on any unit in my army. A herald giving one of my units hatred, is around 80pts.

I also don't really want to drop the Blood letters, as I like kicking around my lord with them. I'll try out a variation of the Blood crushers.

I can add a spawn (blood point, and one of the missions values fast attack as well as troops). Worst case, the spawn can soak another units overwatch, or earn me an easy blood tithe.

I really want to add in the bloodthirster, but I'm not sure how I can squeeze it in.

I kind of want to use the khorne axe which summons a thirster when the character dies, but taking d3 wounds a turn is brutal.

Guess I can just save up my blood points and hope for the best lol.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria