News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting swords for Biel-Tan  (Read 832 times)

Offline ekstam

Painting swords for Biel-Tan
« on: December 31, 2006, 09:15:22 AM »
Ciao comprendes, I am about to paint a "Seer Council" for Biel-Tan and I don't know how to paint their blades.

I really like the ice-blue colour GW paint Shaim-Hann's weapons in but I am not sure it will work with the Biel-Tan colours. I am also thinking about painting the hilts in gold and the blades in pure white with black runes...

How do you paint your blades and what are your experiences of what works and what not works?

Excuse me for my bad English. ;D
apologies for my bad English

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
Re: Painting swords for Biel-Tan
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 09:18:59 AM »
If you want a colour on the blades, instead of a shade of grey, then you could choose one that compliments the green/white Biel-Tan colour scheme. Perhaps a deep red? If the up-facing surfaces are slightly lighter, that helps it to stand out, and lining the edges a bit will finish off the effect quite simply.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline ekstam

« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2007, 06:24:12 PM »
I did a try with deep red as you said earlier but it didn’t look good. I always try to make my models look natural and real. Red blades with green coats look to much Christmas to me... I am looking for something that look more cold and deadly, or something like that  ;) 

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
« Reply #3 on: January 2, 2007, 05:53:28 AM »
You could try the glassy/crystal look. Blue with turquoise and white highlighting. That would look cold to fit with the Biel Tan colors. The important thing to make it look good is to not just have one flat color, but try to use two similar colors. That will make the area richer and add some depth to it, it will look more realistic.

Deep red could work too if you add some details in another color, say deep orange.
Adults lie, but not always.

Offline The Voivod

• Masamune Shirork
« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2007, 06:47:31 AM »
I like a wraith-bone look. It's easy and cool looking, especially on blades.
Snake-bite leather, dry brush with bleached bone, dry brush with white.
Or layer and varnish for a polished look.
Torture first, then you talk. It's better that way.

Offline ekstam

« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2007, 05:25:21 AM »
I hear you guys, some good tips you have their. Just wondering, how do I paint the ice-blue coloured blades GW use for Saim-hann? Is it just ice-blue with white highlights?

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
« Reply #6 on: January 3, 2007, 05:53:50 AM »
I don't know exactly how GW does it, but like I said try to mix in some turquoise in the blue. First base the blade in blue (the darkest color), then water down a mix of blue and turquoise and layer/highlight the blade with that. Finally do the extreme highlights in pure white or in a mix of a lot of white in the blue/turquoise.
Adults lie, but not always.