News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Killing Landraiders  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Galderon

• Infinity Circuit
Killing Landraiders
« on: February 3, 2002, 07:33:13 PM »
Ok Landraiders are a pain in the butt, it takes way to many Bright Lance shots to kill and by the time the WL or Avatar has wondered over to it they are tied yp in HTH.
There is another method it is a simple plane but quite difficult to actually execute.
Basically put 6 Fire Dragons in a Falcon fly up to the Landraider debus the Fire Draguns who then shoot the Landraider at close range and hey presto 1 dead Landraider, if shooting fails there is the HTH option with meltabombs.
Now the tricky bit is getting your Falcon close enough. There are a couple of methods #1 moving from cover to cover, #2 use a small insignificant distraction like a Wraith Lord. I do this all the time and it generally works quite well.
I love the sound of squealing marines in the morning. I justifies my Wraith Lord.

Offline Bel Haladrin

• The galaxy will be painted red with your blood
Re:Killing Landraiders
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2002, 07:39:43 PM »
IMO every one overestimates the land raider yes its big and looks imposing but its firepower is not that much more than a falcon i tend to just ignore them unless it gets to close personally there are normally more important things to kill in a marine army even devastators can put out more fire power than a land raider

however it also depends on what the LR is being used for if it is a transport then kill it by all means and as fast as possible normally revealing some nice expensive terminators to be shot down too (this is nice and easy victory points

but whne fielded as a mobile weapons plat form i just ignore it a falcon with pulse laser and scatter laser cna put out more shots than that to about equal effect
"In the pipe 5 by 5"

"If you die as a hero you're still dead"

Offline BoyProdigy

• Pirate Prince
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Still rocking your world!
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2002, 07:58:22 PM »
i just SC them to death

Offline Jiaurtel

• As Ynnead rises Death shall reign supreme!
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2002, 11:11:06 PM »
WHAT???

LR is a very expensive piece of *bleep*
To this point I have killed around 4 Raiders from 3 different players and it never took more than 1 shot!!!

My secret is simple
Take Brightlance
Shove Brightlance where the light of Emperor dont shine
Pull trigger

Offline Lord Calamir

• Member of the Council of Ulthwe
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2002, 04:05:59 AM »
Since BLs treat armor values above 12 as 12, what's the particular problem with Land Raiders? ;)
All hail Eldrad, for he shall safely guide us through the darkness until a new morning dawns.

Offline doppelganger

« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2002, 12:13:15 PM »
How do you star cannon a Land Raider to death? It's immune to S7 and lower weapons.
And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night!

Offline Yhoshua

« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2002, 01:25:15 PM »

WHAT???

LR is a very expensive piece of *bleep*
To this point I have killed around 4 Raiders from 3 different players and it never took more than 1 shot!!!

My secret is simple
Take Brightlance
Shove Brightlance where the light of Emperor dont shine
Pull trigger

Thank you!!!

Oh and I think that he was talking about taking a LR and making it into a gun platform, and a lucky shot WILL be able to take out a land raider. Read the chapter approved.  With those rules a lasgun can get a glancing hit on a landraider
I'm just a simple ol Joo trying to survive in a world of angry gentiles...

blog

« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2002, 03:18:26 PM »
The lucky glancing hit rule applies *only* to  guard armoured companies.  Since Imperial Guard cannot take Land Raiders, this rule will never apply to Land Raiders.

Heck, it won't even apply to most guard tanks unless they are specifically fielded as an armoured company choosed from the codex in Chapter Approved.

-Blog

Offline Yhoshua

« Reply #8 on: February 4, 2002, 03:48:28 PM »
Wrong.......

"however when a large number of vehicles are being used in a game and in particular in situations where a large number of models are armed with a weapons which simply can't do any damage to a vehicle then its important that things like lucky glancing hits are covered"
I'm just a simple ol Joo trying to survive in a world of angry gentiles...

Offline moojaro

• The Invisible Man
  • Ancient
  • Kage Akuma
    • Eldar Online
« Reply #9 on: February 4, 2002, 07:02:26 PM »
if the lucky glance could work for any1,
(20 gudians all shooting @ the landraider!)
that and fire dragons, shot and charge,
and/or.
anything with haywire 'nads

or, just don't let it hit u,
just ignor it,(ONLY if u have alot of troops, Ex ulthwe, orks... ect..
mooj,

Experiance the Nerdom

<insert super cool sig here>
come see my pix!

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
« Reply #10 on: February 4, 2002, 07:29:52 PM »
haywiregrenades are the greatest at killing landraiders. face it, you almost always gets glancing hits and every 6th is a penetrating. And all for a bargain price!!!
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
« Reply #11 on: February 4, 2002, 09:55:28 PM »
brightlances by far...probably the best tank-killing weapon in the eldar arsenal
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline yarla98

• Where Khaine has failed, Ynnead will save us all.
« Reply #12 on: February 5, 2002, 12:10:36 AM »
I've had great luck with Bright Lances, Pulse Lasers, and the Fire Dragon tactic talked about above.  Usually, I arm a Falcon with a Holo-Field and Spirit Stone, which makes them last nearly forever...even from a devastating Land Raider.  They are the best tank in the whole game if you take these additions to the model.  For weapons, I take Starcannons for Termies, or Bright Lances for vehicles.  Load these up with Fire Dragons to deploy close and shoot up the tank, and you have a dead Land Raider.  Even wiser....deploy the Dragons near a squad which is near the tank.  Light up the squad for shooting, and have your tank do the same to get some extra kills in there, then have the Dragons assault the tank with their Melta-bombs.
    One additional point to think of, and a tactic which has worked well for me, is to take your squads of Guardians and rush it up the field.  You will lose some men (a given), but when you get to the tank, shoot anything around it, or Fleet of Foot to get closer, then swarm the tank, making sure to have men positioned around each of the doors.  Use the Guardians haywire grenades to take the tank out, and once it is destroyed, any and all men inside the tank will die as well!!!  With the doors all being blocked, nobody can escape the demolished vehicle!!!! What does this mean?  It means that a single squad of Guardians are able to take out over 500 points of Marines easily, as long as the tank is transporting troops (especially Termies)!!!  What a bargain!   ;D
     Granted, it isn't easy to have your troops set up this way...but remember, Fleet of Foot can be a glorious battle winning tool if used correctly!!!!
     Hope this helps you all!

One last point to remember:  Marines are NOT able to mount troops inside a Land Raider before the game starts.  It is NOT considered a troop transport like a Rhino is.  It is able to hold troops, but they must be loaded into the empty tank after the game starts!  This should help you all remember when the time is right for taking that Land Raider apart!!!

Offline feintstar

« Reply #13 on: February 5, 2002, 12:37:24 AM »
One word: Wraithgaurd. So far my squad of five have three Land Raiders to their name, in three games where Land raiders were involved. Also, D cannons will hit such a large target most of the time - scatter will still hit the tank. Strength 10, ordance damage...
Also something to remember with Dragons, if You can at all work it. Drop them out of the Falcon, shoot the nearby squad, charge the langraider, but KEEP WITHIN 6" OF THE FALCON'S DOOR. Melta bombs say Land Raider go boom, Follow up back into the tank!
We see the coming of pain in the deep blue depths of probability. We turn the tides that sweep away the marks from the sands of time. We are the Grey. We stand between the candle, and the star. We stand between the darkness, and the light. We are the guardians of that island of hope, amidst the storm that comes, that heralds the end of eternity.

Dante's Heir

« Reply #14 on: February 5, 2002, 11:47:39 AM »
OK OK, so you get some pretty brightlances, big deal,
first you need a 3+ to hit, then a 4+ to even do anything to the landraider

Oh, and i play blood angels and feild a Landraider Crusaider, and i personally think it's really funny when the eldar player is arguing to me about all his birghtlances and nice stuff to take it out and he can't even get close becouse i shoot his dumb wave serpant before it can even let everyone out

Offline labmouse42

• You! Obey the fist!
    • Minstrel Gudie
« Reply #15 on: February 5, 2002, 02:57:33 PM »
Well, Ive never had a problem with raiders.  
Of course, my main HQ squad (posted below) has always been a 2 farseers and warlocks either in a falcon or on jetbikes.

The farseer squad will charge the land raider.  If the land raider has not moved, it will take 21 str 9 hits.  (thats 3 per model * 7 models total)

Ive yet to have that not take out a vehicle.

In fact when I usually charge my HQ squad like that I will split them and put 2 or 3 on a model so I can engage multiple units at once.

Let us say there are two land raiders side to side.  I will have half my units engage one raider and hte other hand engage the other.
Or, even better is when some of my units engage a land raider and the others engage a squad of troops so I can follow up into more hand to hand combat.
They shall all drown in lakes of blood.
Now they will learn why they are afraid of the dark
Now they will learn why they fear the night.
- Thulsa Doom

Offline Warlock_Athylm

• Welcome to my Nightmare
« Reply #16 on: February 5, 2002, 04:57:30 PM »
what are landraiders armed with again??
"Only as i walked through the valley of the dead did i realize the awsome power of the Eldar..."

Offline feintstar

« Reply #17 on: February 5, 2002, 07:21:03 PM »
I wonder if he rigged his wave serpent up with a holo feild and spirit stones? I don't think that you comprehend how difficult that kind of tank is to kill, if he moves it at 12 inches a turn. Both times I have faced blood angels in crusaders, they haven't lasted the battle, and he hasn't used them since. In times since, my wave serpents have lasted the entire game.

Eldar are the best tankbusting army around.
We see the coming of pain in the deep blue depths of probability. We turn the tides that sweep away the marks from the sands of time. We are the Grey. We stand between the candle, and the star. We stand between the darkness, and the light. We are the guardians of that island of hope, amidst the storm that comes, that heralds the end of eternity.

Offline labmouse42

• You! Obey the fist!
    • Minstrel Gudie
« Reply #18 on: February 5, 2002, 08:23:01 PM »
wave serpents cant have holo fields....

i sure do with they could....

:'(
They shall all drown in lakes of blood.
Now they will learn why they are afraid of the dark
Now they will learn why they fear the night.
- Thulsa Doom

Cheantoa

« Reply #19 on: February 5, 2002, 11:33:15 PM »
OK DAnte's heir? that's odd. I honestly see situations where a WS would be shot down... but never easily. It ALWAYS has a 50% chance of living... against anything... taking down a landraider? BL or fire prism... I find I like fire prisms more... see, if you shoot ((&hit) a land raider, sure you may only have 1/3 chance of hurting it, but the fire prism autokills terminators, and ignores their armour saves so YAY... eat really big laser termites (who were hiding in the now smoking remains of a landraider) so ya just take big scary stuff and stay patient. it will blow up. and you might win.