News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I need a list for facing this army  (Read 2217 times)

Tobbe

I need a list for facing this army
« on: February 3, 2002, 06:11:41 PM »
I up against an IG player i met before. That time my ass was so badly whopped I still have probs with sitting today. Ok, I had plenty of bad luck to work with (rolling to-hit with 5 rangers, 5 misses). His army consists of about 80 infantry models. I think about 3 Heavy Weapon teams with HBs and about 5 mixed russ-tanks. He's a camper so I have to be the one that moves.

Offline Zeddicus

• Blah Blah Blah
Re:I need a list for facing this army
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2002, 07:21:17 PM »
Against the tanks I would take Falcons or even better Wave Serpents with twin-linked brightlances.  I say this because of the wave serpents cool shields which will protect it against lascannons, and the fact that you could fill them with scorpions to take out all his troops.
Another idea might be a Fire Prism with a Farseer that has the guide power, so you could take out the tanks from afar.
Reapers would also be good to take out his troops, though they are costly (I however love them, my army is based on them).
Definetly play a Biel-Tan army, unless you want all your guardians to be blown to smithereens by ordinance blast.
"But why did I have the bowl, Bart?  Why did I have the bowl...?"

Offline Warlock_Athylm

• Welcome to my Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2002, 08:52:42 AM »
i find that guardians with rerolled 5+ cover saves are quite resilient, and the cheapest thing to do is to just take bright lances,

so get two of those squads and you have your "sponge" to take fire,

then your going to need something to thin out infantry fast, i would suggest staying away from rangers, there not troop killers, and i would not recommend reapers with so many units to kill, your best bet is either scorpians or spiders, depending on your style of attack, one of the ideas though is speed, so if you get pychers give them bikes so they can get up close fast,

on thing you can do with a falcon however is to get a blasphemers team together, they consist of 5 warlocks and a seer, the seer has fortune and a witchblade, the warlocks all have wytch blades and 4 have destructor, that will burn a hole in the unit number of the imps, and then they can charge the tanks with st9 attacks, (its the equivelent of about 15 lascannons). then fortune the squad so you can survive the next turn of rapid fire and do it all over again...
"Only as i walked through the valley of the dead did i realize the awsome power of the Eldar..."

Offline fonkin

• I'm a llama!
    • Farseer Fail
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2002, 01:50:25 PM »
I have faced just such an army numerous times before (my friend runs a Cisco's army IG variant and I hate it).  While I have never beaten him (but I'm still trying) I can tell you what NOT to do:

Don't camp.  The reasons are obvious.
You can NOT outshoot IG, so don't bother.  

Your first job is to take out their primary ability which is shooting.  To do this you need to close on turn one.  If you're playing a standard (6x4 or 4x4) table you can do this by plugging star engines into your wave serpents.  Don't bother shooting as you can't take out enough targets with a wave serpent to make a difference.  Just ram that thing all the way across the table, preferably tank shocking in the bargain.  Of course they're going to shoot everything at you during their next turn, and probably blow up your serpent, but so what.  If they shoot enough weapons at it, they may actually kill off some of their own if it blows up.  
 Then the survivors ( I recommend scorpions w/ haywire grenades) will be dumped out and can have at.  

Also:  deepstrike small squads of 5 swooping hawks, containing one exarch with sustained assault.  When they jump in, drop your grenade pack somewhere that it can do some good.  
Why are the Eldar a dying race? Because I play them.

Offline fonkin

• I'm a llama!
    • Farseer Fail
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2002, 08:02:28 PM »
OKay scratch that,
    I tried it last night, got right up to the front lines on turn one but was unable to assault, then had my entire army wiped out on his next turn.  Death to the Imperial Guard!  
Why are the Eldar a dying race? Because I play them.

Aulan Cnesha

« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2002, 08:08:12 PM »
u can take 5 tanks (assuming u were using standard force organisation chart)

Aulan Cnesha

« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2002, 08:08:44 PM »
oops, forgot to put a question mark there.  Modify doesn't work for me.

Offline labmouse42

• You! Obey the fist!
    • Minstrel Gudie
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2002, 08:38:31 PM »
If you can swing it with the figs.

5 squads like this would clean an IGs clock.
--------------------
4 storm guardians with shuriken pistol and close combat weapon
2 storm guardians with flamers
1 warlock with enchance
---------------------

The other trick is you want to get in close asap.
Use falcons and wave serpents.  
Run all your troops up one side of the board, which limits his fire capabilities.
Get in close and tear him a new rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean?.
They shall all drown in lakes of blood.
Now they will learn why they are afraid of the dark
Now they will learn why they fear the night.
- Thulsa Doom

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2002, 09:10:00 PM »
Aulan C'nesha: Yep, if you want to have 5 russ tanks its either armored company or multiple detachments.

But anyway. My advice is. FIREDRAGON TANK TANGO!!!!

With 5 tanks its just a Firedragon meltafest.
Waveserpent them in, deploy firedragons, fusion one tank and assult another bringing the hell of meltabombs upon his barbaric mon-keigh viechles.

For ever Firedragon team you deploy you should be able to pick of about twice their points.
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Offline Exarch Assuryen

« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2002, 11:31:33 PM »

I up against an IG player i met before. That time my ass was so badly whopped I still have probs with sitting today. Ok, I had plenty of bad luck to work with (rolling to-hit with 5 rangers, 5 misses). His army consists of about 80 infantry models. I think about 3 Heavy Weapon teams with HBs and about 5 mixed russ-tanks. He's a camper so I have to be the one that moves.
use armor and reapers....  pik him off with ur reapers whilst movin your  wave serpents at him pack scorps in ur serpents and unload on him and watch ig chunx everywhere...  plus against ig SHURIKEN CATIPULTS!!!!!...  or pack fir dragons into falcons...  P.S.  nother good thing about scorps HAYWIRE>>>

Offline Warlock_Athylm

• Welcome to my Nightmare
« Reply #10 on: February 7, 2002, 10:04:52 AM »
welcome to the age of tanks, it is sick that 5 lemun russes can be feilded, if they have first turn thats an average of 3 ordinice blasts that hit there mark... thats sick.. anyway the best thing to do is ofcourse fire dragons in a decked out falcon, if you get lucky the falcon can fire apon a tank and blow the side armor to pieces, minus one tank, the dragons can burn one back to h*** in shooting phase, minus two tanks, and they can meltabomb one in assualt phase, minus three tanks.  granted they will be hit with more st3 ap- shoots than i can even comprehend next turn but hey, 1 fire dragons team and falcon for 3 tanks, i will take that trade anytime...
"Only as i walked through the valley of the dead did i realize the awsome power of the Eldar..."