News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Cybork Bodies and WYSIWYG (now updated with pictures!)  (Read 4920 times)

Offline eltrain728

Cybork Bodies and WYSIWYG (now updated with pictures!)
« on: February 3, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »
It seems standard that a lot of people run Nob squads with Cybork Bodies. Easy enough in friendly game to say they all have it, but in a tournament with standard wysiwig rules how do people go about applying cybork bodies on their models?

I have the newest nob box and on the instructions it "shows" cyborks as the two arms that contain a buzzsaw of sorts instead of an arm as well as the arm with something that looks like it will extend/launch out a knife/blade.

The Ork Codex lists a Cybork Body as "Orks with teeth to spare sometimes come back from the painboy's surgery with extensive cybernetic modifications. A model with a cybork body has a 5+ invulnerable saving throw."

Is the key word here extensive? I was thinking about using a drill and just giving them all bionic eyes or something as it would be way easier than converting an entire arm. Legit or no?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:57:32 AM by eltrain728 »

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
Re: Cybork Bodies and WYSIWYG
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »
You can go to Max Mini to get cybork stuff relatively cheap and mano-wheels! I'd prolly use some tubing on the arms also to help with the visuals

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »
Extensive is the key, if your cybork'd model doesn't at least have a decent amount of cybork parts its not really cyborked.  I personally tend to go for a combination of head, arm or leg or both, and some chest work.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2011, 10:25:58 PM by DropFall »

Offline eltrain728

« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2011, 10:02:47 PM »
Extensive is the key, if your cybork'd model doesn't at least have some decent amounts of cybork parts its not really cyborked.  I personally tend to go for a combination of head, arm or leg or both, and some chest work.

Ya initially my thoughts would be go bionic eye cause it would be easy and take little time but then after reading the extensive portion i figured I had to go more all out.

Max mini thing is pretty cool. I searched internet for examples of "cybork body orks" and found some interesting models but they seemed more cyborky than orky which isn't necessarily what i want to go for.

Couple people recommended combining necron warriors and orks which would work but i think the necron arms might be too small?

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »
Go with necron legs and some guitar string on the arms or piano which is cheaper

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2011, 10:14:45 AM »
I just add a small not ork part to those who I always take with cybork (like my nob squad) and for units that sometimes get it like my ard boys, I just explain to my opponent that today that squad has bionic toes that you can't see as they are wearing boots (or something equally silly) and then show them the list so that they can see I paid the points for them.

For the nobs just glue on a know-what, a miscellaneous piece of metal, armor, weapon, etc. from the bits box, making sure to put it somewhere that it is not normally used. For example if I use a piece of armor I would glue it on the bum, or on a foot as opposed to the shoulder/chest area that armor usually goes on.

Something that is cool that I did a while back (sorry no pictures) is use leftover space marine parts. You know all those little seals, scopes, auspix, and spare arm bits that come with the sprue's. Give an ork a purity seal on its elbow and presto; counts as cybork. Scope on the forearm, chop up a spare arm and extend the forearm of an ork with it, presto; cybork. The possibilities are endless.

You really can't do it wrong, as they are orks. So a bit here or a piece there and you have cybork.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »
Go with necron legs and some guitar string on the arms or piano which is cheaper

great idea! i will have to experiment with this.....
IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline eltrain728

« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »
I just add a small not ork part to those who I always take with cybork (like my nob squad) and for units that sometimes get it like my ard boys, I just explain to my opponent that today that squad has bionic toes that you can't see as they are wearing boots (or something equally silly) and then show them the list so that they can see I paid the points for them.

You really can't do it wrong, as they are orks. So a bit here or a piece there and you have cybork.

spoke to the manager of local GW the other day and he agreed with what u said here
he said people don't seem to have problems running the models without any extra changes (def would be hard for ard boys esp with full squad; where as smaller nobs squad it would be conceivable to convert)

we discussed possibilities including necron legs which he had seen before, but he said cybork is often internal like you said, and therefore there would be no changes to the model

there was discussion of running tubing just along the nobs body or removing a portion of an arm or leg and having some metal bit in the half section of the shoulder/bicep removed to show the internal cybork

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2011, 09:34:11 PM »
Most orks have veins on thier arms.  Just paint them as if they were wires instead of leaving them green.  Also, most of my boyz have white eyes with either a blue or yellow dot in the middle to denote a cornea.  With my cyborks I tend to blacken the eyes and put a single red dot to make them look more like the terminator.

Offline eltrain728

« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2011, 08:45:14 AM »
what ive decided to go with (for now):

bionic eyes on the face(s) that already lacked bionic parts (4 out of 8 heads in the nobs box were already cyborky enough for me)
running tubing (i used green stuff) in and out of one of the arms (i think im going to do a second depending on how i feel today)

Offline eltrain728

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:56:27 AM »
this is how they turned out (first time uploading pics so well see how that goes

pics of nobs and warboss below

warboss had the tubing going to his PK as well as half cybork face
[smg id=4101 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 1700"]

mini bionic eye conversion for the back pk nob with tubing
aobr nob has cybork face
[smg id=4100 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 1699"]

tubing on pk nob on arm (as well as face but this was by GW), tubing on skorcha nob
[smg id=4099 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 1698"]

going to cross post this to conversion forum

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:01:30 AM by eltrain728 »

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
Re: Cybork Bodies and WYSIWYG (now updated with pictures!)
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »
Check this site out for conversion bits for Cyborks.  Especially the Post-apocalyptic Mechanical Legs  I picked up blisters of each and they look great.  Just took a small dab of GS as the lower torso is a tad bit larger than a GW upper torso. 

http://kromlech.eu/?page_id=123
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.