News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: boyz in a nutshell, a tactica  (Read 1702 times)

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
boyz in a nutshell, a tactica
« on: February 1, 2011, 11:12:33 PM »
i thought i would devote some time to this forum, and earn some teef as well, and create a tactica for the boyz.

so here goes it--->

STIKKBOMBS (mixed option)
these most of the time are not as much of a big "gotta have" option for orkzes. in my experience i can really only see one great thing they would do for you, since the ork initiative is only 3 on the charge. this thing is to strike ahead of tau(or a different low initiative army) if they are in cover, since those sneaky bastards love cover. i personally would only take the stikkbombs if i knew my opponent and it was one of the forementioned armies.(and i had the extra points). i say mixed since the fact that you go after the in-cover shooting-based armies, it makes it kinda both.

SHOOTAS (offensive option)
personally i try to run at least 1 squad of 20-30 shoota boyz each game, not usually being deterred by the slugga-choppa option. meaning that if im running one boyz squad, generally it will be shoota boyz.i like the shoota option since the initiative value on the charge for boys is only 3. since the boyz generally go last anyway, why not give all of them a chance to do something? giving them shootas gives them 1/2 of their charging attacks, hitting on a lesser number but wounding on the same. also, it gives the boys a chance to spray a volley of shots at the enemy at 18" so they are (unless on bikes/jump packs) out of assault range. but hey, don't "let" them assault you, while if they somehow do, you can pour your cc attacks into them.

BIG SHOOTAS (offensive option)
gotta love these! three shots from one boy greatly increases the chance of one o' dem 'umies bitin' da dust. alsothe strength is higher than a regular shoota, as well as a lower AP.(yes its 5 but 5 is lower still). the only downside i see to giving a model a big shoota is, if you didn't take shootas, it lowers the number of attacks by 1(big whoop) per big shoota. i generally add these to my boys with shootas. but Can still be a great option for the choppa boys.

ROKKIT LAUNCHA (offensive option)
i do like these, as the chance to pop a rhino equivalent tank, or a single marine equivalent is good with s8 AP3, but you must also think about the statline BS of the orks, generally is a 2(not a great chance to hit) but on the chance that you do, its a great opportunity to bust some tail with the "wonders" of ork shooting. i usually give a rokkit launcha to choppa boys, so that my shootas do not go to waste against a tank.

ARD BOYZ (defensive option)
great investment of points, not dying as easily is a great feat. a 4+ save is great for the fact that you don't die to rapid firing weapons like bolters as easily. even in close combat i love having it so when you need to take 6 saves, you keep 3 instead of keeping 1 (based on average of dice rolling). i generally equip my ard boys with shootas to protect my 30 man firing line from the easy killing of a 6+ save. meaning that if i have the points, my shoota boys will have eavy armor making them ard boys so they are protected. but also, if i dont give them shootas, ill give them rokkit launchas so their 4+ save will make those 30pts more resilient.

NOB UPGRADE (offensive option)
almost a guarantee that i have nobs in my boyz squads, i usually give a nob upgrade since it helps with close combat, the upgrades you give him help out the squad's durability, lots of reasons. plus the chance to put a single wound on him and not have to pick up a model if he does fail his armor/ cover save.

BIG CHOPPA (offensive option)
great for a choppa boys squad, or a firing line shoota boyz squad to protect them from tank shock, given the chance that the armor is penetrable with strength 6. but also, in a choppa squad, it increase the chance to wound greatly, and more wounds=more dead 'umies. which is always a good thing for orkzes. at the cost of 5 points, its a cheap and efficient way to do these things.

POWER KLAW (offensive option)
great for choppa boys squad! increasing strength, power weapon, 'nuff said; but 25 points is not something that you can always give out to every squad, so its a great upgrade for tank killing, infantry, whatever you come up against, but the points issue is there, not a huge issue but, just saying, i wish it costed less. another great way to avoid tank shock, kill TEQ's faster than pouring armor saves,

'EAVY ARMOUR (defensive option)
same deal as with the ard boys, an awesome way to create a resilient nob, that, like previously noted, can take a wound and stay on the table, but now with a 4+ armor save! this is a generally good upgrade, and i usually take it unless i cant find the points, just as a "what if" measure. its a good way to keep a couple of boys in there from time to time, and i only dont take it if its a tournament setting where "what if" is not always most point-efficient.

BOSSPOLE (defensive option)
gotta love this upgrade, i always take it on my boys squads. shootas or not. to be able to possibly re-roll that failed leadership and stay on the board the remainder of the game is a great opportunity to have. imagine, you are charging your boyz down the blood-splattered road to victory, but wait, oh no, you've failed leadership in the opponent's shooting phase, now you are running away. not a great thing to have happen. i take a bosspole so i don't have to worry as much about that.

alright, i guess that all i gots to say 'bout that. i hope for some comments and criticism. and i also hope this helps someone's outlooks on the almighty boys we all know and love.

EDIT:
when asking yourself, "how many boys should i take?" it helps to think about what the theme of the list is. here in this edit i will go over how to judge this oh so important question.

SPEED FREAKS
if you are running an army where you want to get to that point where you are cleaning the blood of the enemy off of your wheels, and you need to get there fast, i'd say take 11 choppa boyz and a nob with PK and bosspole. then stick them in their favorite trukk (red paint and reinforced ram)and let them drive up to them 'umies as fast as possible. this way you stick it to them fast. hence the name.

KAN WALL
if i were to run this army (i cant due to models so take my advice with little meaning) i would run 2 mobs of 19 shoota boyz, a nob with a power klaw, and 2 big shootas fitted as you please. this way the mob is still a good size, you get the range and power of holding a big shoota, two in this case, and you can still pack a wollop in close combat using your possibly 60 attacks on the charge. i would also give a squad the opportunity to be ard boys, and such.

GREEN TIDE
obviously this type of army needs 30 boys minimum. *seal of the orkountant here*
anyway, with the green tide, i either give my mobs sluggas/3 big shootas/pk-bosspole nob OR shootas/3 big shootas/bosspole nob(omg lots of shots, YAY) just remember to keep the squads to the minimum :) and follow whatever guidelines you have set for the task the squad to be effective at doing.

i dont want to say anything about mad dok, as i have yet to use him, but i will come back in the future after doing so to post ofmy expreiences.

i think thats it......phew! lots of typing.....gawsh! anyway, like previously stated, i hope this helps the aspiring orks out there, but remember to also take the comments from members below as something to think about as well. theres never only one way to play orks, as you can see. hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 2, 2011, 03:26:30 PM by the_humble_terminator »
IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: boyz in a nutshell, a tactica
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2011, 01:37:26 AM »
A good tactica article. 

I play my ard boyz with slugga and choppas though.   Their better armor save makes them work as more of a forward unit to advance on your opponent.  They can weather thru light arms fire better and then charge those shooting at them.  I pair mine with Mad Dok when I run him..   Giving ard boyz FNP makes them dead killy.   The dok is a bit unpredictable but it still is a very hard unit for your opponent to dispose of.

Another good reason to use the ard boyz as a forward unit is even if you have your advancing boyz with a KFF mek a regular flamer will put some hurt down.   Having a save vs a flamer that takes away a boyz cover save is a blessing. 

Offline Teej

• Orkscribe
  • I know where da best fightin' iz
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2011, 07:37:56 AM »
I like to run 'ard boyz in trukks. While most people will tell you the best upgrade is more boyz, that isn't quite the case with Trukk mobs. that 4+ save can make the difference in having enough boys left over to krump a second squad.

I also equip my PK nobs (in the boyz unit) with a special weapon, as they can't claim an extra attack for using a pistol anyway. It is more fluffy too  ;D
Otherwise I steer clear of Big Choppas on Slugga units. They are best used in Warbiker units or even Cheap outflanking Kommandos. The PK option is strongest for your big troop units.

Good work, it is nice to see fresh tactica articles popping up.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2011, 10:17:50 AM »
Good article, just a little touching up with a spell check and maybe a few more points of discussion and it will be good.

A few things to add is the big shoota is the boys best friend as it has a high rate of fire and has a chance to shoot down most skimmers, and hits hard enough to glance a rhino to death. When added to a unit of Ard Boys it also prevents most of those sneaky scout bikers from trying to pull a snikrot on you. You may also want to add in that it is a great way to keep mad doc from running around after the closest enemy, as it has the range to threaten most anything on the board. So you shoot the big shoota instead of running the unit that turn. After all Mad Doc with a unit of Ard Boys does last a long time.

Also a discussion of unit size, like what size works best for what type of army. Say in a kan wall is a unit of 20 better than a unit of 30? Again in a speed freak army should it be 10 boys and a nob or 11 boys and a nob? (riding in a red truck, but trucks are a whole different tactica) Of course don't leave out the green tide, where we can all assume 30 boys is the minimum.

Good start, and 2 teef for you.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
i updated this article a while back, but forgot to follow up with a reply to state i did sooooo, here it is ;D
IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.