News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Calamity's Astra Militarum Army Blog  (Read 28149 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Calamity's Astra Militarum Army Blog
« on: February 5, 2015, 05:26:59 AM »
Hello!  This thread will be chronicling the build up of my Militarum Tempestus army, the first real modeling project I've undertaken since returning to 40k after a long long (too long) hiatus.  I was waiting until this site got up and running again to start it for real.

To get this army up and going I bought the big box set GW was doing over Christmas.  That's the one that came with 25 Scions, 2 Tauroxes and a Valkyrie...that they don't do anymore.  I'm bummed about that because it was literally half of what I needed to make my target force, an airborne/ground assault formation.  Now, unless they bring it back in the future, I'll have to buy them separately and that's more expensive. :P

But no point in crying about that.  Here's what I have so far:

The Command Squad (minus the special weapon user):

Half of the first squad:

Half of the second squad:

and finally, the two Taurox Primes:

(Those were taken on the living room floor as my room is currently being decorated...another big project I've currently got going).  It's all boring unpainted plastic at the moment, but that's OK.  I've not yet decided on how I'm going to paint them and it's always better to plan ahead rather than rush into it and then regret your choices later.  And for once I'm going to try and do it by the book, literally.

Looking at the Tempestus Codex, I've narrowed my choice of regiment down to either the 73rd Epsilic Eagles,  the 9th Iotan Gorgonnes, or the 54th Psian Jakals.  I want to show what they look like but I'mm not sure how the rules cover that (there's a Jakal in my avatar though).

The Jakals have a lot going for them.  Not only are they very menacing looking with their black uniforms, red goggles and white skull masks, but their's is also a very easy scheme to do.  It's basically just black with detailing.  However, some might say that that is just being lazy. :P

The Eagles and Gorgonnes however have a very nice and interesting camo schemes.  It would be much harder to do but probably more rewarding overall.  Suggestions would be appreciated!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:41:20 PM by Captain Calamity »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Tangi's Storm Troopers
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2015, 11:21:33 AM »
I am really interested in how this project of yours will turn out Tangi. Mostly because the Tempestus are one of the recent 40k releases that has left me feeling that I no longer know what 40k is all about. But also because I really like seeing pictures of the Valkyrie. As for your painting question I would always suggest keeping it simple. Personally I find painting becomes tedious after a while and I couldn't imagine painting a whole army in a camo style. Black and grey is my vote.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: February 5, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »
I am really interested in how this project of yours will turn out Tangi. Mostly because the Tempestus are one of the recent 40k releases that has left me feeling that I no longer know what 40k is all about.

Why do you feel that way, out of curiosity?  Is it the fluff by any chance?

Regardless, thanks for the interest. :)  If like Valkyries, you'll love this.  I'll have four of them by the time I'm done.  8)

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
If you're worried about the painting difficulty level, the Jackals might actually be more difficult. I think freehanding the skulls, and making them look good, will take more skill than making random blobs of color for the camp that don't need the same level of precision. Whatever your choice, I am definitely looking forward to watching your progress. I'm still sitting on a command squad, 10 man squad, and a Taurox unpainted. Maybe this will motivate me to work on them.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »
Nice! Should be a fun project to follow. My brother uses Stormtroopers in every game and they are quite good and a real pain against my Aspect Warriors. I like the Tauroxes... are they gonna stay open-topped? Anyway cool project man and I'm looking forward to following it.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2015, 03:11:47 PM »
I'm happy to see the interest this project is sparking!  Thanks for that everyone. :)

If you're worried about the painting difficulty level, the Jackals might actually be more difficult. I think freehanding the skulls, and making them look good, will take more skill than making random blobs of color for the camp that don't need the same level of precision. Whatever your choice, I am definitely looking forward to watching your progress. I'm still sitting on a command squad, 10 man squad, and a Taurox unpainted. Maybe this will motivate me to work on them.

That is a good point actually.  It would be damn hard.  Unless stenciling is out of the question? 

Nice! Should be a fun project to follow. My brother uses Stormtroopers in every game and they are quite good and a real pain against my Aspect Warriors. I like the Tauroxes... are they gonna stay open-topped? Anyway cool project man and I'm looking forward to following it.

That is great to hear (no offense to your Aspect Warriors  ;)), because in the past Storm Troopers were usually difficult to use and not worth their points.  From what I hear now though they're very good, if a little fragile.

Funnily enough...the Psian Jakals are said to be expert Eldar hunters, dodging their way through their esoteric weaponry and expertly putting laser beams through their rotten xeno heads.  ;)

As for the Tauroxes, I remember the White Dwarf detailing their release talking about open topped jungle fighter versions as a possibility.  I didn't know what that would take to make but having now seen the models I understand.  It would be quite easily actually.  Thing is though, I was planning to arm them with the Missile Launcher, which goes on the roof.  That would rule out making them open topped.  However, nothing is set in concrete just yet.  :D

« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2015, 04:41:32 PM »
Unless stenciling is out of the question? 

I was planning to arm them with the Missile Launcher, which goes on the roof.  That would rule out making them open topped.  However, nothing is set in concrete just yet.  :D

Re the stencil, not at all if you can either find or make one that small. I'm guessing though that you'd have to make one. Not impossible, but it's up to you if it's worth the hassle.

Re the missile launcher, put a missile pod on either side of the truck a la the Landspeeder Typhoon or FW missile armed Sentinels (I don't like the look of the missile pod the newer GW Sentinel kit comes with).
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2015, 05:10:03 PM »
Well, which army's fluff do you like most? Do you, for example, happen to have a regular opponent who plays a lot of eldar? Do you wish to tie it into another army of yours? Considerations like that.

Also, when it comes to skulls, they aren't that hard to do and there are some tutorials on painting them around. I'll look them up if you do decide to go for the jackals.

Lastly, you can also keep the tauroxes largely open topped, and make a partaial roof just to house the missile launcher. Not sure if that would look bad or not, but I'm guessing you can try it out/envision it with more ease.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »
Re the stencil, not at all if you can either find or make one that small. I'm guessing though that you'd have to make one. Not impossible, but it's up to you if it's worth the hassle.

It does sound like a lot of hassle now that I think about it.  I think I'll definitely have to do a few practice runs with all the proposed schemes to see what works best.

Re the missile launcher, put a missile pod on either side of the truck a la the Landspeeder Typhoon or FW missile armed Sentinels (I don't like the look of the missile pod the newer GW Sentinel kit comes with).

That sounds like it would look something like the Wurfrahmen 40, which is pretty unique.  I certainly think that having the missiles on the side and the volley guns/autocannons on a turret on the roof is a better layout than vice versa.

Well, which army's fluff do you like most? Do you, for example, happen to have a regular opponent who plays a lot of eldar? Do you wish to tie it into another army of yours? Considerations like that.

Also, when it comes to skulls, they aren't that hard to do and there are some tutorials on painting them around. I'll look them up if you do decide to go for the jackals.

Lastly, you can also keep the tauroxes largely open topped, and make a partaial roof just to house the missile launcher. Not sure if that would look bad or not, but I'm guessing you can try it out/envision it with more ease.

At the moment, I don't have any opponents.  :-\  All my friends have jacked 40k in for the moment, and my brother is living away from home. 

Thanks for the offer though.  That would be a great help. :)

« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2015, 07:10:08 PM »
Forge World - ROCKET LAUNCHER SENTINEL

I was envisioning missile pods more akin to ^, but that Wurfrahmen 40 looks cool. If you have some of the old school Hunter Killer missiles that came with the box tube launcher laying around then it wouldn't be hard to replicate.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2015, 03:31:38 AM »
real quick and dirty guide: Freehand Skulls - quick and dirty guide - Painting Tutorials - The Bolter and

If you want it looking better, this is a good starting off point for you to experiment yourself.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2015, 09:28:04 AM »
Latest update:

I've more or less finished all the Scions apart from the weapons which stay off for now, which I'll show.

First Squad with their Prime:

Second Squad with their Prime:

I know it's all boring unfinished plastic at the moment but things are taking shape.  :)

Also I made the Commissar from the box:

Unfortunately for him however, he won't be featured in this army.  Because he's got no gas mask.  I tried very hard to give him one, made by sticking his hat to a Scion head (the gas masked beret wearing one) but it proved too difficult.  Chiefly because his body uses a slot to secure the head, unlike the traditional ball socket join of the Scion kit and it was just too tricky for me to get right without ruining the whole model.  This guy will sit on the sidelines and wait for me to start a normal IG army.  Instead, I'm going to use a Forge World DKoK Commissar.

And I have another point to talk about.  You may have noticed that I'm being very minimalist with my squad leaders:

Urgh, crappy blurry camera...but anyway, this is because I've come to see the ol' sword in one hand and pistol in the other aspect of 40k as a bit silly. In a melee sure, but not all the time.  How would you reload your gun? :o  And although it's probably silly to see anything in 40k as too silly because it is very silly overall, that's just how I feel.  Especially because these are ordinary humans.  Marines, Orks, Eldar sure...but not squishly slow witted humans. :P

It's not all bad though.  At least his gun has a chainsaw on it.  A very prominent aspect of 40k! ;D
« Last Edit: February 6, 2015, 09:54:50 AM by Tangi »

« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
Rofl, dude, I hate to break it to you but that's not a pistol with a chainsword on it. That's the medic's thingamabob, the Scion version of a narthecium.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2015, 12:45:53 PM »
You're kidding!

Well, that's a big screw up on my part. :(

« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »
Eh, you can make it work. I'd suggest cutting the muzzle off a spare laspistol and replace the injector tip with it and just play it off like you knew exactly what you were doing the whole time, lol.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #15 on: February 7, 2015, 07:25:35 AM »
Hey Tangi I had a thought for those missile launchers. If you kept the vehicle open topped you could just have a Storm Trooper with a missile launcher standing in the back classic 80's action movie style. Heheh just a thought!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #16 on: February 8, 2015, 04:09:27 AM »
... simple and brilliant.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: February 8, 2015, 04:22:39 AM »
Eh, you can make it work. I'd suggest cutting the muzzle off a spare laspistol and replace the injector tip with it and just play it off like you knew exactly what you were doing the whole time, lol.

Whilst that would probably work, I'm starting to think that it would be better to arm them with plasma pistols, to give the squad some punch.  Maybe I should just bury my reservations and just make them traditional style.

Hey Tangi I had a thought for those missile launchers. If you kept the vehicle open topped you could just have a Storm Trooper with a missile launcher standing in the back classic 80's action movie style. Heheh just a thought!

Heh, there's an idea.  :D

Might be better suited for Catachans though.  I'm thinking that mechanical launchers mounted on the side are the best solution.  But I'll try to give both a try.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #18 on: February 8, 2015, 10:36:02 PM »
I am really interested in how this project of yours will turn out Tangi. Mostly because the Tempestus are one of the recent 40k releases that has left me feeling that I no longer know what 40k is all about.

Why do you feel that way, out of curiosity?  Is it the fluff by any chance?

Regardless, thanks for the interest. :)  If like Valkyries, you'll love this.  I'll have four of them by the time I'm done.  8)

Not sure if your project is the place for this but seeing as you asked. It isn't their fluff that is the problem but my lack of interest in fluff. From my non-fluffy point of view the Tempestus release seems to have come from nowhere and amongst what I consider to be normal armies they strike me as a bit of an oddball army. I think the long and short of it is that I don't really understand why they need their own Codex. I feel the same way about Imperial Knights and the recent Harlequin's as well.

Back on topic in a roundabout fashion. The Valkyrie is one of the best models GW produces and I wish it could be used by every army (without conversion or counts as). Seeing four of them together will be a beautiful sight  :)
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: February 9, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
Not sure if your project is the place for this but seeing as you asked. It isn't their fluff that is the problem but my lack of interest in fluff. From my non-fluffy point of view the Tempestus release seems to have come from nowhere and amongst what I consider to be normal armies they strike me as a bit of an oddball army. I think the long and short of it is that I don't really understand why they need their own Codex. I feel the same way about Imperial Knights and the recent Harlequin's as well.

You know, this is a good topic of discussion.  Maybe we should start a thread about it in the General 40k board?

Back on topic in a roundabout fashion. The Valkyrie is one of the best models GW produces and I wish it could be used by every army (without conversion or counts as). Seeing four of them together will be a beautiful sight  :)

You're right there. :)  I was gobsmacked when they pinched it off FW and made it in plastic. 

And speaking of Valkyries...I picked one up online for next to nothing:

It's in great condition, if a little dusty

This is the full set here

Looking pretty good.  However, there are some problems.  It didn't come with door gunners.  And the front landing pad is broken

But I checked it out and it's a straight crack.  A touch of glue should fix it right up.  The biggest problem is that the panels for one of the cockpit canopies is missing

This is a small but significant problem. :P

I'm hoping I can find the parts I need.  It would be a shame to have the whole model blighted by such a problem.