News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Blood Bowl pitch on the cheap [Pic-Heavy]  (Read 13217 times)

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Blood Bowl pitch on the cheap [Pic-Heavy]
« on: July 18, 2009, 07:23:25 PM »
Well, a little while ago I mentioned that I had made a cheap Blood Bowl pitch. I finally got around to uploading pictures, so I thought I'd share them:

The Box

A spare Assault on Black Reach box is the perfect size for storing my pitch. It's deep enough for one standard GW foam tray, too (With 32 slots it's perfect for transporting two teams).

The Dice

Six d6 from that Assault on Black Reach box, paired up with a d8 I bought for 50 cents gives me all the dice I need to play the game.

The Roster Sheet

I found an image of a roster sheet from an earlier edition online (aren't Google searches great?) and photoshopped it slightly (since Team Wizards aren't available anymore). The Match Record Chart is on the reverse side.

The Blocking Chart

Because I don't have any Blocking Dice I made this handy little table with equivalent values for d6s.

Scatter and Throw-in Templates

Some fun with Photoshop produced these templates. I've since re-done the Scatter template since I got the numbers in the wrong places initially, though.

The Dugout

Simple, but effective. I've since penciled in a place to put the score; I'll probably see about editing the file and re-printing them with it included, but they do the job for now.

The Range Ruler

Paper taped to a piece of cardboard to stiffen it. It turns out that the ruler is a touch short, but not enough to really make a difference. Besides, if both teams are using the same template, it'll be fair, right?

Re-Roll Markers

Made of small pieces of cardboard, I decided to make them look like little dice (it seemed fitting). They aren't anything fancy, but they get the job done.

Touchdown tokens

I printed off a sheet of these to be used as various markers. They can be used to mark touchdowns and the turn. Really, they're largely superfluous, but I figured "why not"?

Random Player Tokens

They are made out of 25mm round bases primed white with black numbers painted on. Since picking a random player doesn't happen all that often I generally use them to keep track of which player on my team has performed an action (by flipping the appropriate number over when that player does something).

The Pitch

I made a file with Photoshop of the grid (as close to the proper size as I could) and printed out a bunch of sheets. I then taped them together on a cardboard sheet (made from an old clothing box, I think it was). I then penned in the center line, end zones and wide zones.

Folding the Pitch

The pitch collapses for transportation.

Other Markers

With the spare weapons from my Beastmen team (converted from the plastic Gors) I made two markers suitable for use as turn or score counters.

The Ball

It's a bit on the small side when compared to the balls from the official box set, but it works. It was made out of Green Stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got Staples to print out a spiral-bound copy of the Living Rulebook (complete with the FAQ, Dungeon Bowl and Blood Bowl 7s rules) to go along with this (for about $16) and I converted a team out of a box of plastic Beastmen. All together, starting Blood Bowl cost me about $56.50. A small amount of savings when compared to buying the box set (although I could have saved about $40 if I had made a team out of spare WHFB models instead of buying a new kit), but all-in-all I think this pitch was worth the time I spent on it. It's nothing fancy, but it allows me to play on league nights when there aren't enough official pitches to go around.

I have a couple of other things I've since added (two mini decks of cards for Special Plays, a spare d12 and d10, Dungeonbowl floor tiles and a Current Weather chart), but I haven't taken pictures of them yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eventually I plan to make a fancy wooden pitch, but I have a number of other projects to do first, so it'll have to wait.

In the meantime, I'll see you on the pitch! For Nuffle!

Offline Tanuvein

• Ork Boy
  • Da weirdest boyz da bestest!
Re: Blood Bowl pitch on the cheap [Pic-Heavy]
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »
Awesome. I may try to mimic your work. My friend and I want to start Blood Bowl but we aren't interested in playing with the provided races (I want Chaos Dwarves and he wants Undead).

Thanks for posting this
What can change the nature of a man?

It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 05:28:41 PM »
No problem! I'm glad I could be of service.

~~~~~~~~

To help you (and any other would-be coaches out there) here are the templates I made:

Scatter Template

My scatter template (with the numbers in the right places this time!). Nothing fancy, but it does the trick.

Throw-in Template

For those times when the crowd just has to get its hands on that ball (or for those reckless Ball and Chain players out there...).

Current Weather Chart

Something that I felt was missing from the standard Blood Bowl set was something to keep track of the weather. It's almost always a Nice day, but for those times when it's pouring rain, you want to make sure you remember it! This'll help prevent any arguments about the weather; just stick a coin or other marker in the appropriate box.

~~~~~~~~
I was going to post the files for my Pass Ruler and the grid I used for my Pitch, but Photobucket decided to scale them down (thus making them more or less pointless to upload). However, I will do the next best thing and provide you with the dimensions needed (or as close as I can get; sorry, it's not exact, but it should be close):

Pass Ruler:
Width: 5.1cm
Total length: 40.8cm

The '0': 0cm - 2.5cm ((2.5cm long))
Quick Pass: 2.5cm - 12.5cm ((10cm long))
Short Pass: 12.5cm - 22.5cm ((10cm long))
Long Pass: 22.5cm - 32.5cm ((10cm long))
Long Bomb: 32.5cm - 40.8cm ((8.3cm long))

Pitch dimensions:
Square size: 2.9cm x 2.9cm

Total pitch size: 24 squares x 15 squares

Wide zones: 4 squares wide (each)
End zones: 1 square deep (each)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope this information serves you well.

I also trust that none of it infringes on GW's IP. If I recieve an official complaint I will remove whatever offends them, but I honestly don't see it being a problem.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 12:08:29 PM »
Nice work, Although some bits are a bit BluePeterBowl! Might be an idea to investigate finding green paper/card for the pitch on the next one thou.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
« Reply #4 on: September 2, 2009, 12:39:58 AM »
UPDATE!

This past week I bought some Chessex blank dice and made my own set of Block Dice:

They are painted with Chaos Black with some brush on Matte Varnish to protect them. Unfortunately, the paint smeared a bit, but they should still work. I've rolled them a number of times, and they seem quite random, so that's good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here are the different sides:

Attacker Down

The skulls here are meant to look a bit sad and apologetic. Nobody likes rolling Double- (or Triple-) Skulls, so at least my dice have a bit of sympathy for you.

Both Down

In contrast to the Attacker Down skulls, these ones are angry. It seemed fitting. I know, the skull should be in the top left, not the bottom right, but I figured a bit of creative license would be fine. It's still obvious what is what.

Pushed

Spot the differences! I went with a slightly different arrow pattern, but who'll really care, eh?

Defender Stumbles

I'm not the happiest with these, but they get the job done. The explosion could have turned out better, but oh well.

Defender Down

Pow! A simplified version of the official symbol, but still recognizable.

~~~~~~~~
All-in-all these dice cost me $1.50, some paint, some varnish, and some time (they were done in two nights; one to paint the symbols, the other to varnish them). I'm pleased with the result, and now I don't need to use my Block Chart! While it worked, it wasn't the nicest of solutions. This should make things go much smoother.