News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Deathwatch  (Read 1553 times)

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
1500 Deathwatch
« on: August 24, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
After much procrastinating (and generally just assembling and painting whatever models looked cool, as opposed to writing a list and then painting it) I've finally written a 1500-point Deathwatch list.  Definitely open to suggestions, as I haven't actually played any games of the new edition yet.

Note: for anything DW use that listed under the Space Marine wargear list (as opposed to explicitly Deathwatch) I'm using the new Codex points values. This primarily applies to that 8-point drop in powerfist costs.

EDIT: After some feedback elsewhere I've modified the list slightly to add some stormshields. Yes, they're expensive for DW, but probably worth it.

Battalion Detachment

HQ 1: Watch Master (130)
HQ 2: Watch Captain w/ Combi-Melta, Xenophase Blade (100)

Troop 1: Kill Team [riding in the Corvus] (324)
- Sgt w/ Plasma Pistol, Power Sword
- Black Shield w/ 2x Lightning Claw
- Biker w/ Teleport Homer, Power Sword
- Terminator w/ Assault Cannon, Powerfist, Meltagun Stormshield, Thunder Hammer
- Vanguard Vet w/ 2x Lightning Claw
- Vet w/ Chainsword, Combi-Flamer Bolter, Stormshield
- Vet w/ Chainsword, Combi-Melta
- Vet w/ Frag Cannon

Troop 2: Kill Team [footslogging] (391)
- Sgt w/ Grav Pistol, Xenophase Blade*
- Black Shield w/ Bolt Pistol, Thunder hammer
- Biker w/ Teleport Homer, Power Sword
- Terminator w/ Assault Cannon, Power Sword
- Vanguard Vet w/ Bolt Pistol, Power Sword
- Vanguard Vet w/ Bolt Pistol, Power Axe
- Vet w/ Chainsword, Combi-Flamer Bolter, Stormshield
- Vet w/ Chainsword, Combi-Melta
- 2x Vet w/ Frag Cannon

Troop 3: Kill Team [Footslogging/Razorback, back-line] (191)
- Sgt w/ Combi-Plasma, Power Sword
- 2x Vet w/ Stalker Boltgun, Bolt Pistol
- Vet w/ Chainsword, Combi-Plasma
- Vet w/ Heavy Bolter
- Vet w/ Missile Launcher

Flyer: Corvus Blackstar w/ Twin Assault Cannon, 2x Blackstar Launchers, Hurricane Bolter, Halo Launcher (234)

Transport: Razorback w/ Twin Lascannon, Hunter-Killer Missile (121)

Total: 1491/1500

The idea is that Kill Team 1 deploys inside the Corvus and acts as the main assault force; fly in, disembark, charge ASAP.  Kill Team 2 is the mid-range component, hanging back and shooting from mid-range or charging in as-needed.  Kill Team 3 is the long-range shooting component, hanging back in cover and babysitting at least 1 of the teleport homers. The Razorback hangs around near them to add some extra long-range anti-vehicle firepower.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:36:09 PM by laucian_meliamne »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: 1500 Deathwatch
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »
If you can play power level games, the pointing system for DW really unbalances them.

I have not used them as close combat troops, I've always used them as ranged squads. Here Vanguards special rule for the kill team is nice but to be honest no ones ever made it into CC for me to break away from, two fragcannons per squad is usually enough to make people think twice about charging them.

Stalker Pattern Bolters are a nice cheap upgrade, giving you extra reach, then add special ammo on top and you can put out a good volume of anti-infantry shots at long range with kraken, and as they creep closer the vengeance rounds do a very nice job of removing infantry. Then there beastly things you can Wound at solid range on 2+ with another ammo :) A full unit of these guys with two fragcannons sitting in your deployment zone (or near it) do a lot of work.

The guys in the Razor back, swap the Missile launcher for a fragcannon, it will do a much better job and its an assault weapon :)

Watch masters are super over priced, downgrade to a captain and save some points. then add another fragcannon lol. Seriously, the fragcannons do a lot of damage, especially if you get in charge range and can still take out tanks.

On the Corvus... the Auspex array has worked out better for me, since its putting out ~30 shots I tend to roll 1s more often there.