News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sisters of Battle; Help write an army list!  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Sisters of Battle; Help write an army list!
« on: October 20, 2012, 07:21:13 AM »
I don't often post requests for help on lists but I'm really stuck on this.
Attending a campaign weekend and I need a 1000 point army list for one of the games.

The big problem is no special characters are allowed in this game (they are allowed in others thankfully), also max of 1heavy support and a limit of three total for Fast Attack + Elites.
The issue is that the basic cannoness and confessor are awful. I don't know what to do with them...

Power axe confessor with Celestians maybe?
Cannoness tagging along with dominions?

And still tricky to field a core of troops...

Maybe :
Confessor (power axe) 85
9 Celestians (power axe, 2 meltas, rhino) 205

10 girls (melta, flamer, rhino) 175
10 girls (flamer, multi-melta) 135

5 seraphim (powersword, 2 flamers) 130
5 seraphim (powersword, 2 flamers) 130

Exorcist (dozer) 140
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Karadram

• A new threat on the Eastern Fringes...
Re: Sisters of Battle; Help write an army list!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »
Are Celestians worth it? I sort of get the impression they look good on paper but will die horribly once they engage something.
Maybe switch 'em out for Dominions? More melta/flamer/special weapon death.
As for HQ, I'm lost..
Maybe put a pintle Stormbolter on the Exorcist if you have points to spare? I think (haven't gotten around to reading/playing 6th)
Weapon Destroyed is randomized. So that 10pt Stormbolter have a 50/50 chance of saving your Exorcist Launcher.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 12:42:12 PM »
I concur on the storm bolter. A 50/50 chance of protecting your exorcist launcher is worth it even if the damn thing never fires!

Celestians aren't exactly awful but nor are they devastating. Their biggest weakness (I'm sure this doesn't need saying) is the inability to sustain Hand Of The Emperor into an opponent's turn - meaning they win one round then get beaten to paste.

With a canoness leading them, though, they do stack up fairly well to a confessor's conclave - less special gear, but less vulnerable to having their stubborn, LD10 character assassinated or forced to sulk at the back by challenges. A canoness doesn't necessarily need a rosarius now, so she is cheaper, and The Passion isn't first round only.

One other observation - I might see if I can slip some meltabombs into the list (maybe condense the two mini-seraphim units into one larger one? Gives you some more bullet-catchers and is less of a drain on faith) to give you something to stop rampaging walkers and monsters in assaults (it can be very hard to stop a flying monster reaching your lines, especially when most of your anti-big-stuff firepower only works within short range)

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
What about this list? Go ahead and mod it to your needs.

Saint Celestine: XXX pts
10 girls (melta, flamer, rhino) 175 pts
Exorcist: 135 pts
Exorcist: 135 pts
Retributors: Min squad w/ 4 Heavy Bolters: 85 pts
Seraphim: 10 w/ 1 Hand Flamer and Superior w/ Meltabombs: 180 pts
1000 pts

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »
No special characters, 1 Heavy support max - see original post.

Although I would raise a point that I think Retributors have arguably become a better buy than the exorcist now.

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth

Tervigon Army List:

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 03:58:54 PM »
Excuse the multi reply and if I muddle someone's comments..

@Karadram, I could go with dominions instead of Celestians and tag the cannoness along with them in order to have somewhere to put her (oh for the love of a jump pack option!) piling additional special weapons onto the table is probably better than the Celestians less than impressive skills.

@Locano; Stormbolters for exorcists yes, well worth it. But I'm actually convinced by retributors, plus they give access to a potentially multimelta armed immolator.

The list I wrote contained all the seraphim I own, Unfortunatly as having more of them would be very useful.

I'm not convinced on the value of single meltabombs... I find that if you're in combat with a (eg) dreadknight you get asked if the character can hurt it, shortly followed by a challenge. So she either gets pasted or hides..

@prophesy; not that easy! Please check my initial post for the restrictions to apply.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
Hmmm, yes our non-special character HQs are frankly, rubbish.  Here are some ideas, some more sane than others....

I would suggest you take the cannoness for a few reasons. Firstly, she is stubborn which may be useful for your troops because, let's face it, they are never going to win combat, her act of faith is not too dis-similar to righeous rage,she is a bit cheaper too and she give you the option of the command squad (see a bit later). There are several useful places for her.

Melta bombs are still useful because AFAIK most walkers and monsters can't challenge, and even if one can, having them on the HQ and the squad leader means one can refuse and the other can still stick the bomb on.

The good news is that all our elites are rubbish so the fast attack/elites limit is not that bad. Seraphim are good and so are dominions. I personally always try to take at least one squad of dominions as they dramatically affect your opponent's deployment, but you can't go wrong with seraphim either.

Command squads. Normally I would not go near these, as you have to take rubbish to get them, but you can take 3 move and fire multi-meltas with feel no pain. Cannonness here could be good for taking wounds to keep the squad going a bit longer. If you take retributors, this would be your only long range anti tank.

Troops. Can you take fortifications? 20 on foot behind a defense line is quite hard to shift and flamer, combi-flamer, heavy weapon is not a bad setup. Cannoness here and they stick around in assault too.

Celestians. I don't think I would take these. Their act of faith is rarely useful- if they are in combat against assault troops, they are dead anyway, anyone else and the squad would stick aroung long enough to be rescued by seraphim and they cost more than troops for little benefit. Spend the points on a command squad, more troops, more fast attack etc.

Retributors. With an HQ to boost your faith rolls, these are really quite dangerous. Take extra bodies, because they will be a prime target.

Power weapons. Everyone apart from serphim should always take axes- everyone else will go first anyway and the extra strength and better ap is useful. With seraphim, I am torn between lance or axe. Their strength is just too low to be effective against MEQ with power swords and their initiative means they will go after nearly everyone else anyway. Hit and run allows lances to go before powerfists nearly every turn, but axes go through anything.

Offline badlybuilt

• Armies: Sisters of Battle
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »
I hate to say it, but I would run rhino spam. Also ( I have a grimace as I type this ) run a cannoness with PP with HF ret's in an immo. It is a bit point heavy but whenever I use them they toast something. It's not ideal but a basic list would look like this .\

BSS (9)- 2x meltagun + rhino
BSS (9)- 2x meltagun + rhino

Seraphim (7)- 2x HF
Seraphim (7) -2x HF

Cannoness - 2x PP

Ret (7)- 4x HF + Rhino

Solo exorcist might be a little too random to be effective.  I would fear to see a flyer on the board with lack of long range.

I didnt see the restriction on seraphim models, extra points could be used for another unit perhaps.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:29:44 PM by badlybuilt »
Quote from: Hymirl
Cross dressing space marines? Not a fan.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 01:23:02 AM »
Alright then those rules are terrible but lets try this again! (I'm sorry I didn't read that part of the post)

Canoness: Power Axe, Meltabombs, and Rosarius: 105 pts
Priest: meltabombs: 50 pts
15 girls: w/ 2 Storm Bolters, Power Axe, and Melta bombs: 206 pts
Retributors: Min squad w/ 4 Heavy Bolters: 85 pts
Seraphim: 10 w/ 2 Hand Flamer and Superior and Meltabombs: 200 pts
996 pts

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 02:18:22 AM »
I'm not convinced on the value of single meltabombs... I find that if you're in combat with a (eg) dreadknight you get asked if the character can hurt it, shortly followed by a challenge. So she either gets pasted or hides..

True, but relatively few of them are also characters. Dreadnoughts aren't, Tervigons are cruddy enough to beat up with the rest of the squad's krak grenades. It's only really the Matt Ward Special that it's really an issue with - and it is still an issue; thanks to it's bloody stupid teleporter rules, invulnerable save and high wounds stat, you do not have enough time to stop it with the exorcist, so what else do you propose to threaten it with? A power axe won't do jack(and is still as slow), bolters won't stop it and you don't have enough meltaguns to achieve anything meaningful.

Meltabombs are more for carnifex, dreadnoughts (and other non character walkers and monsters) and land raiders.

I could go with dominions instead of Celestians and tag the cannoness along with them in order to have somewhere to put her (oh for the love of a jump pack option!) piling additional special weapons onto the table is probably better than the Celestians less than impressive skills.
If taking dominions, I'd reach for the confessor - that plasma gun option becomes very tasty with twin-linked BS5.

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth

Tervigon Army List:

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Cannoness, (combi-flamer, melta bomb) 80
Dominions (combi-melta, meltabomb, 2 meltas, multi-melta immolator) 185

9 seraphim (powersword, meltabomb, 2 flamers) 195
7 Retributors (4 heavy bolters, immolator) 164

Takes me to 984.. I did a recount on seraphim and found two extra bolt pistol girls and thus could merge them into one decent unit.

For the remaining points I can give some stuff to the vet supers in the troops, a powermaul and a meltabomb seem pretty good... Although a little voice keeps suggesting a hunter killer missile, I'll ignore it as I know they're rubbish.

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »
 I'd say the melta-bomb and power maul would round it out pretty well. It's quite a bit to shoot at at 1k pts, and plenty to shoot with. I don't have my WDs handy and can't recall pts coats of the top of my head, but I wonder if it wouldn't be more effective to drop a Seraphim for another Retributor to add another ablative wound. I think those girls will come under heavy fire with 4x rending HBs.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Karadram

• A new threat on the Eastern Fringes...
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »
Actually, Hunter-killer missiles count as part of the weapons (if I'm not mistaken). So if you REALLY wanna improve the odds of that Exorcist Launchers survival you could add a HK, and never/late game fire it.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:09:44 AM »
Good thinking on the hunter killers, I don't see stormbolters being that useful to an exocist.

Right, 1500 next! And thankfully special characters are back in.

Celestine! XX

10 girls (melta, flamer, poweraxe, rhino) 185
10 girls (melta, flamer, meltabomb, rhino) 180
10 girls (multimelta) 135

6 Sera (2 flamers, powerweapon) 145
6 Sera (2 flamers) 135
5 dominion (2 melta, combimelta, melta immolator) 180

Exo (dozer, hunterkiller) 150
Exo (dozer, hunterkiller) 150
7 retributors (4 heavy bolters) 109

Which totals to 1499! Ideal. Although I've just made and painted a Uriah jacobus which I can't fit in, he and his Celestians where the first thing to get cut as they made the list add up to 1769. The only way I see to bring him back is to cut the third troop unit (who are going to be objective grabbing) or to lose the dominons, who I think are probably pretty key too.... But then again Uriah is pretty good too.

Oh well, next is 2000 point list and aside from the Celestians unit there isn't much girls left on the shelf. I have a small GK army so it's time for allies!

I'm thinking a min squad of GKT to drop in, and a cheap inquisitor and retinue in stormraven, which currently adds to 569. So time for some more poking to make things fit and still no room for jacobus... :(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:47:46 AM by Hymirl »

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »
 An Ordo Malleus Inq. in TDA with psycannon and Divination makes a nice addition to a GKT unit for pretty cheap. The Primaris power for Div rocks, so if you don't roll a more useful one then you are still good. What were your planned load outs for the henchmen and SR?
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »
I was thinking of giving the inquisitor a plasma pistol and servo skulls as they're useful for being annoying. His boys would be warriors with three plasmaguns and as many extra 4point warm bodies as I can afford... three or four may get meltabombs just in case efforts to jump out the stormraven to take out big monsters go badly...

The terminator inquisitor sounds useful though, I don't think I can squeeze him in without losing the warband who seem great value for what I get.