News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Nurgle vs Eldar 1500 point Relic Mission  (Read 1482 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Nurgle vs Eldar 1500 point Relic Mission
« on: October 13, 2015, 11:50:24 PM »
The Forces of Chaos

Chaos Lord Mark of Nurgle, Black Mace (125)
Sorcerer Mark of Nurgle Mastery Level 3 (125)
Helbrute (105)
Plague Marines x 8 w/ x 2 plasma + champion w/ melta bomb (251)
Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher (47)
Plague Marines x 8 w/ x 2 plasma + champion w/ melta bomb (251)
Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher (47)
Chaos Spawn Mark of Nurgle x 2 (72)
Chaos Spawn Mark of Nurgle x 2 (72)
Chaos Bikers Mark of Nurgle x 4 w/ x 2 flamer + champion w/ power fist (175)
Obliterator Mark of Nurgle (76)

[1498]

The Forces of The Eldar

Combined Arms Detachment (1146)
Farseer w/ spear (105)     
Striking Scorpion x 9 plus Exarch (Scorpion's Claw) (210)
Dire Avengers x 10 (130)
Dire Avengers x 10 (130)
Dire Avengers x 10 (130)
Swooping Hawks x 5 plus Exarch (Sunrifle) (121)
Wraithlord (Flamers x 2, Bright Lance x 2) (160)
Wraithlord (Flamers x 2, Bright Lance x 2) (160)

Aspect Host (BS+1)(350)
Dark Reapers x 4 plus Exarch (140)
Warp Spiders x 4 plus Exarch (105)
Warp Spiders x 4 plus Exarch (105)

[1496]

Eternal War mission: The Relic
Deployment Vanguard Strike

Chaos wins the roll and sets up first. We chose a nurgling as the relic with the idea that it was a previously banished daemon prince that has come back from the warp and does not yet have the strength to fully materialize to his past glory.

Nurgle sorcerer rolls for his Nurgle powers first, gets Gift of Contagion and takes the primaris power instead. He rolls twice on Biomancy getting Iron Arm and Haemorrage, trading the latter for Smite.

Farseer rolls on the divination table and gets Scrier's Gaze, which he trades for the primaris Prescience. He then rolls on the Runes of Fate, gets Doom and Will of Asuryan, which he trades for Guide.

Chaos Lord as the Warlord rolls and gets Flames of Spite. Farseer rolls An Eye on Distant Events and rolls high giving three units the opportunity to redeploy. He chooses all three avenger units.

Chaos deploys the lord and sorcerer with a unit of plague marines, using their rhino for cover, the second unit deploys in the rhino. Leaving the first unit out of the rhino allows the sorcerer to use his powers and they are over the transports capacity anyways. Bikes and spawn are lined up at the starting line, ready to make a run for the relic. Obliterators and helbrute each tank a flank. Eldar deploy avengers a solid line, three squads wide, two man deep. Wraithlords and dark reapers take up firing positions behind some cover. Farseer joins the reapers. Hawks, and two squads of spiders are held in reserve. Avengers make their scout moves closing the gap. Scorpions inflitrate behind
the building closest to their deployment zone.

Eldar fail to steal the initiative.

Chaos Turn 1

Spawn rush the avenger line setting themselves up for a charge, as do the bikes. Rhinos move combat speed to deploy their havoc launchers. Obliterators, command squad and helbrute all advance. The psychic phase sees a warp flux roll of 1. Sorcerer attempts to manifest Iron Arm and succeeds.

Havoc launchers fire into reapers, killing two and wounding the exarch. Obliterators fire lascannons into one of the wraithlords, bringing him down to a single wound after two failed cover saves. The bikes pass on firing in order to increase their chances of making their charge range. Plague marines run up closer to the relic. Helbrute also runs.

First group of spawn declare a charge against avengers. Overwatch fails to wound and they make their charge distance. The second unit of spawn charge into the same combat and make it. Bikers attempt to charge the middle unit of avengers. No overwatch casualties, but they don't make their charge range.

Spawn vs Avengers
Roll one subcutaneous armour and three toxic haemorrhage on the mutation table. Rolled a total of 13 attacks for random attacks plus 8 for rage. Avengers pass their fear test. The avengers manage a single wound. Spawn cause a total of 10 unsaved wounds and wipe out the unit. First blood for Chaos.

Eldar Turn 1

The avengers scoot back trying to distance themselves from the super tough bikers and spawn, hoping to eliminate them from a distance. Scorpions move in to charge the spawn.
Warp flux roll of 3. Farseer attempts to doom the bikers, who are just in range. Even with Chaos throwing all their dice to deny, doom goes through. He also manages to guide a wraithlord and prescience the other.

First avenger unit fire into the bikers and with doom manage four wounds and thanks to bladestorm don't even have a chance to save. Reapers try their hand at finishing the last biker and succeed easily. Second avenger unit fires into a unit of spawn and only cause a wound. They choose to battle focus further away, but don't manage far. Scorpions
fire pistols into the other spawn unit and manage to kill the wounded spawn. Perturbed by the obliterators, each wraithlord sets one in their sights and fires, and luckily to cover saves, only take a wound each.

Scorpion's choose to multi-charge both units of spawn. Spawn roll subcutaneous armour and two grasping pseudopods. Scorpion's pass their fear test. Mandiblasters alone cause 4 wounds. Exarch manages a wound and the rest of the scorpions handle the rest.

Chaos Turn 2

Rhinos advance at combat speed, followed by the helbrute and obliterators. Command squad moves in to pickup the relic. Other plague marine squad disembarks. Warp flux roll of 2. Sorcerer attempts to Smite the scorpions and removes two and wounds the exarch, even after the farseer throws all his charges at denying the power, with re-rolls. With 2 charges left the sorcerer manifests Iron Arm.

Command squad fires bolters and plasma into the scorpions and take out the exarch and two more eldar, but a marine ends up kill himself with his own plasma gun. The second plague marine squad fires into the same unit and manage to wipe out the rest of the squad. Looking to make a dent in those back end wraithlords the obliterators take aim with plasma cannons and manage to remove the wounded lord after some cover saves. Rhinos target their havocs into the avenger squads and manage to kill four from the mid-field unit. Helbrute tries for the last wraithlord but misses.

Eldar Turn 2

Both warp spider squads and hawks come in. Hawks use their grenade pack on the command squad with no results and land within lasblaster range. Warp Spiders follow suit and drop in behind enemy lines. Avengers advance. Warp flux roll of 4. Farseer tries for Doom on the command squad and is denied after the sorcerer throws all his charges into the denial. Farseer successfully casts guide on the reapers and prescience on the wraithlord.

One unit of avengers battle focus to get into better range of the command squad. Both units fire into the command squad and only a lone marine bites the dust. The warp spiders each fire into the command unit and strike down the champion, a marine and the chaos lord himself. Slay The Warlord for the Eldar. The hawks take a crack at them and
remove another casualty, but they pass their blind test. Reapers hammer again and two more die. Wraithlord tries for a rhino and strips a hull point. Warp spiders thrust move away.

Chaos Turn 3

The closest rhino moves to pickup the marines with the relic, who disembark. The sorcerer disengages and heads to join up with the stronger plague marine unit and advance on the warp spiders. Obliterators turn to advance on the spiders as well. Unoccupied rhino tries for a tank shock on an avenger unit, but they pass their test. Helbrute moves up closer to the wraithlord. Warp flux roll of 4. The sorceror tries to Smite the spiders and succeeds. They flickerjump, but fail to get out of range of the power and two die. The sorcerer uses the last of his warp charges to successfully cast iron arm.

Plague marines target the spiders again that flickerjump, but fail to make a difference as they are skirt the board edge. Bolts and hot plasma terminate them. With the marines in the backfield and the avengers less of a threat the rhinos turn their Havoc launchers on the reapers and manage totake out the exarch. Helbrute fires into the wraithlord with no results. Seeing the shenanigans of the spiders flickerjump the obliterators choose
not to fire on the unit, but instead set themselves up for the charge.

The unwounded obliterator declares his charge first and doesn't take any wounds in overwatch. He fails his charge range, but luckily the two closer men make theirs. Spiders fail to wound and obliterators claim two victims. Spiders stay in with their iron resolve.

Eldar Turn 3

Avengers move forward to try and make a move on either the lone obliterator, plague marines, or on the relic holders should everyone else pop the transport rhino. Hawks move to try and get in range with the relic rhino. Flux roll of 4. The farseer is dead set at getting Doom of on the relic holding rhino and throws 6 dice at it the sorcerer throws all his warp charges back at and misses denying by a single 6. Farseer manages prescience on the wraithlord.

Hawks battle focus then toss a grenade at the rhino and manage a hull point. Waithlord fires his lances into the transport and strips the last two hull points. Avenger squads both battle focus to get a better shot at the spilled out marines, but fail to wound. Reapers fire into the lonely three man unit, but the marines take advantage of their cover save to remain unscathed.

Dire avenger squads and hawks charge into the three marines hoping to make a few wounds stick, the avengers take the overwatch with no casualties. The eldar hit and kill a marine and the two marines hit back and kill two hawks. The large unit of avengers and hawks both fail their morale tests and flee. Unable to sweeping advance as they are still locked in combat, the fight continues.

Chaos Turn 4

Plague marines move to join their brothers defending the relic. Lone obliterator turns his sights on helping kill some spiders. The last rhino turns to face the fleeing avengers and the helbrute moves to intercept the farseer. Warp flux roll of 3. Sorceror tries to get off Nurgles's Rot, farseer denies and the sorcerer takes a perils hit with everyone losing a single warp charge. Sorcerer tempts fate a casts Iron Arm and succeeds.

Rhino fires havoc launcher into fleeing avengers, but fail to take any souls. Helbrute fires into the wraithlord and he takes a wound. Obliterator charges the spiders and plague marines charge into the avengers. Spiders hit with no results. Obliterators wipe out the spiders. Avengers hit the relic holders to no avail. Sorcerer and the marines hit back to get rid of the squad. They use their consolidation to form a protective ring around the relic holder.

Eldar Turn 4

Avengers rally, but the hawks fail to and make it just shy of the board edge. Wraithlord moves to face the helbrute. Warp flux roll of 3. Farseer manages to Doom the helbrute, but that's about it.

Warithlord fires at the helbrute and strips two hull points and immobilizes him. Avengers fire into plague marines and kill a marine.

Wraithlord charges the helbrute and takes off the last hull point before he can strike back.

Chaos Turn 5

Plague marine command unit moves to engage the wraithlord. Obliterators line up the wraithlord in their sights. Rhino tank shocks the fleeing hawks and gets them off the board. Warp flux roll of 2. The sorcerer tries to manifests Nurgle's Rot an succeeds without being denied. The wraithlord takes six hits, but makes all his saves. He then firs Smite into the avengers with no results.

Obliterators fire lascannons into the exposed wraithlord and he narrowly escapes with only losing a single wound. Marines fire plasma into the lord but fail to wound.

Plague marines assault the wraithlord and he lances one to death in overwatch. Chaos champion challenges as he must and gets wiped out in the challenge.

Eldar Turn 5

Avengers move to intercept the relic. Warp flux roll of 1. Farseer guides the reapers.
Avengers fire into the relic holders and kill the last two marines. They battle focus up to the relic, but are unable to pick it up in the shooting phase. Reapers fire into one of the obliterators and he makes all of his saves. Sorcerer challenges, as he must and the wraithlord kills him.

We roll a 3 and the game continues.

Chaos Turn 6

Rhino moves to fire on the avengers. Obliterators move to intercept avengers and one picks up the relic. Rhino fires his havoc launcher into the avengers and he kill two. All three obliterators fire twin-linked flamers into the same unit and leave only a
single eldar standing.

The two obliterators charge the lone avenger. Obliterators vs Avenger = Dead avenger. With no champions left to challenge the marines get to work. The wraithlord kills three marines, but thanks to poisoned attacks the take the lords last wound.

Eldar Turn 6

Their only hope is to kill the relic holder and hope for a tie game. Farseer breaks ranks with the reapers to get in range to doom the obliterator. Warp flux roll of 1. Farseer throws all his dice into Doom and it goes off. The doom sees some wounds on the obliterator, but they are no match for his awesome armour save.

Roll a 6 and the game continues.

Chaos Turn 7

All units move to engage the eldar. Bolter fire takes two of the farseer's wounds. The havoc launcher fails any damage. Obliterators fire assault cannons into reapers and it takes all three to bring them down. Plague marines charge the farseer and bring him down without a scratch.

Chaos takes the game 6 (First Blood, Slay The Warlord, Linebreaker, Relic) to 1 (Slay The Warlord)

It was a close game that I almost thought I lost at the end when I charged the wraithlord and not the avengers, but the marines held out and the obliterators took care of those pesky avengers. I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with both the plague marines resilience and the obliterators versatility. The bikes didn't wow me this time out, but I think I used them too aggressively. The spawn were perfect in what they did as well. They put that initial pressure on the enemy, gained me first blood and tied everything up for a turn. I made a huge mistake placing my warlord at the rear of his unit with three deep-striking enemy units waiting in reserve. I'll have to be more mindful where I place him next time. The sorcerer was decent. He helped counter some of the awesomeness of the farseer and had a few jabs of his own. I'll think he can stay
put in the list.

Any comments on play style or list tweaking is greatly appreciated, as I'm just getting back into playing chaos. Thanks for reading.

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
Re: Nurgle vs Eldar 1500 point Relic Mission
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:43 AM »
That was a fun batrep, thanks for posting! Enjoyed the old-school flavour of plague marines in rhinos versus footdar.

I can't comment on your list as I cant speak to your meta, but agree with your synopsis of using the bikes too aggressively, and obliterators being super useful! Sorceror seemed to do his job pretty well, denying Doom and getting off some decent powers.

One thing is that the Scorpions shouldn't have been allowed to charge the spawn in turn 1 after infiltrating, but I don't think it would have made a huge difference. Another is that while the wraithlord was in a challenge, the marines should still be free to chop him down from behind I believe, so he wouldn't have lasted so long.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
Nice report--that looked like a fun game!

I echo Ibushi about the challenge--7th Ed doesn't protect guys in a challenge from being beaten on if they're alone.

Also: don't bikes have Jink, or is that just jetbikes? I *thought* all bikes did and, if so, your bikers might have survived the Bladestorm.

I'm impressed with how the Spawn did. I've always liked Spawn as a concept, but the last time I used them was 5th Edition and they were pretty lackluster.

Finally: well done on actually securing the Relic. Most of my Relic games have involved whatever unit grabbing it dying before the end of the game and the whole thing gets decided on secondary objectives. Of course, you were playing Nurgle, and Nurgle has its advantages.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
That's very good to know about the wraithlord not being protected during a challenge. That helps mitigate what I thought was a huge disadvantage with the champions of chaos special rules. Totally forgot about jinking the bikes. In my mind it was only skimmers, flyers, and jetbikes, but you're totally right that all bikes have them.

The army is in total disrepair as I've been stripping and disassembling models and patiently waiting for some parts from eBay. Once I get everything going I'll start posting the army build on the project board.