News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Hello Guest Users!  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Hello Guest Users!
« on: December 6, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »
Hello, Guest Users!

Right now, there are 5 members, and 116 "Guests" logged onto 40k Online.

So why do we have so many Guests? Registering is super easy, all you need is an email account and you can get a free one from pretty much any of the major players. It only takes a couple of minutes, and you get all kinds of benefits from doing so!

In particular, there's a feature that lets you click on "Recent Posts" and it brings up all of the topics you haven't seen yet, or replies to topics you've already looked at. In short, it makes it so you don't have to click on all of the boards to see what's new. One click, and everything new comes to you!

Even better, is you can get involved! Everybody starts somewhere. Maybe you ask a couple of questions about how to make the most of your favourite unit. Maybe you're wondering how to make a certain type of terrain, or how to get a certain effect from painting. You can ask any of those questions. You don't have to wait for someone to do it for you.

You don't have to post, or do anything, but the benefit of having the "Recent Post" button be available is pretty sweet, for the time it takes to come up with a User Name and Password. Who knows, maybe you'll get stuck in once you can. The truth is, there are fewer people posting. That makes the site less fun to hang out at. If you join, you can post, which gives other people a reason to look in and see what's new and exciting.

So yeah. You now have had someone cordially invite you to join, ye of the Guest ranks. Have at 'er. At the very least, there will be new names to look at. :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Hello Guest Users!
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »
Nice Tree, this is a great post and if you're (guests) reading it, he is 100% correct. Also you get to make friends you might not have ever got to before.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2013, 04:42:53 AM »
I'm also fairly sure that in the past, when someone has pointed out the number of guests, one of the globals has said that a good amount of them are just adbots and not real people.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2013, 07:53:58 AM »
That is possible Alienscar, another thing is that there are people who select the option to remain invisible, so that when they are logged in their name doesn't appear in that section and it never shows on their posts that they are online.  Those people appear as guests as well.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2013, 02:30:25 PM »
I, too, would like to encourage lurkers to register. This is a great forum with solid moderation and friendly members, and we love to have new folks come aboard. So, you know, register already! We promise not to bite!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »
That is possible Alienscar, another thing is that there are people who select the option to remain invisible, so that when they are logged in their name doesn't appear in that section and it never shows on their posts that they are online.  Those people appear as guests as well.

They are listed as hidden in the users online section at the bottom of the forum index, rather than guests ;).  They may be listed as guests in the who's online list though I don't know.  I'm  pretty sure though that regular members don't have the option to select hidden in their profiles.

Rummy mentioned a while back that most of the guests viewing the forum were bots.  I do agree very strongly with the sentiments expressed to any real people viewing the forum as guests.  Registering gives you a much better experience of the forum, even if you never post anything, as it's much faster to navigate threads and boards when you're logged in :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »
Daft question maybe GML but if any of the guests are real people wouldn't this thread have been better off in the General 40K Forum? I imagine any browsing guests are after some kind of 40K related information rather who has just joined the site. I remember when I was a guest and I only ever looked at the General 40K, Space Marine & Dark Eldar Forums.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #7 on: December 7, 2013, 05:31:23 PM »
There's a thread in "General 40k" saying that this thread was moved... which should direct the curious as needed. :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2013, 06:03:23 AM »
That's a fair point GBT but that same thread is locked. How many of the other 6 locked threads in the General 40K Forum have you read?

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2013, 07:56:36 AM »
[gmod]When a thread does not meet the guidelines for a certain board, it will get moved. This thread was no more appropriate for Gen40k than it was for Space Marines, Dark Eldar, or the Rules board. It was either in the Beginners board or the Tavern.[/gmod]
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »
[gmod]General 40k is about general discussion regarding 40k the game.
The spirit of the thread is related to improving something on the website so could go in "Suggestions, Questions ..." forum, but because it is an appeal to lurking Guests the beginner's forum is a suitable place.[/gmod]
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.