News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Project: UK-GD Entry 2009 [Now with Pictures - Updated 12th Jun]  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
Ok I've decided that with the end of my formal education (finish univeristy at 12pm, Tuesday 19th May) just around the corner I have the time to commit to a Golden Demon entry for this years games day

I'm gunna build a straight IG line squad rushing from the trenches, inspired somewhat by the picture which can be found on page 37 of the new IG codex, a full squad of 10 mounted on a suitably desolate scenic base

However I need some input from those more experienced in these matters, as the Golden Demon rules allow for the squad entries to be mounted on such a base as long as they are removable on the usual bases supplied
But do you think it would work better as a diorama than a squad entry

I could go either way at this point and I can see it working in either category but some ideas from you guys would be nice

Anyway thanks in advance and I'll keep this updated as the project goes along :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 08:38:57 AM by Changeyname »
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Rupert Penwarden

Re: Project: UK-GD Entry 2009, [Advice needed before starting]
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:18:17 AM »
As it can fit into both I would enter it into the one you feel will be less heavily contested to maximise your chance of winning (that is if you are entering to try and win a daemon).

To me it sounds like it would work better as a diorama though.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:45:35 AM »
So essentially an IG version of the last Blackadder? ;)

I think it'd be better as a diorama. If they're attached to their regular bases for squad entry it might lose some of it's sense of atmosphere.

Good luck on the project.

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • quod me nutrit, me destruit
  • Armies: Harlequins, Eldar, Space Marines, DeathGuard, Nids
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »
I'm not sure if you already started work on this one, however I would advise to go for the squad setup.

Trenches allow for a quite easy way to incorporate the bases into the whole scene without them being disturbing the scene to much.

A diorama would allow for more dramatic poses.

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »
OK i did promise to keep this ticking over didn't I ::)

after much pondering (great word, should be used more often i think) i decided on the squad category, not really sure why but it feels better for me
thanks for the input thought guys :)

anyway, slight modification to the OP, it's now going to be a company command squad as the line squad couldn't get the banner in the picture taken from the codex 

comprised of:

commander (with an as yet undecided equipment set)
banner
medic
mortar team (with one as casualty being treated by the medic)
2 x bodyguards (one falling backwards, head missing)
master of ordnance (simply because i wanted a model with a vox and all my vets were taken)
commissar (probably this one to fit the whole charging aesthetic of the scene, with the clunky plas pistol swapped out)

that makes for a nine man squad, i could add in an extra advisor to make an even 10 but to be honest I've already got one to many static models and didnt want the base to be too cluttered

thus far I've finished building the two bodyguards, banner, medic and mortar team casualty, I'm waiting for a cash infusion to get the other parts to finish the squad and get the materials for the base

pictures will follow, tomorrow evening most likely but I'm contemplating holding off for a week until I can get the whole squad in one shot, we'll see how I feel

anyway C&C always welcome and thanks for paying attention :)

Offline Changeyname

• Ancient
Re: Project: UK-GD Entry 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »
Ok some piccies for you :)

I've finished building the squad and all i need to do now is base them and build the scenic before undercoating

Here they go and I apologise in advance for the poor lighting, I'll retake them at some point when i get chance

How they'll sit on the scenic:

As always C&C are welcome, but not about the quality of the photo's (or the blue-tac holding some of them together for the moment - ease of painting)

Cheers and if you want close up pics of anything I'll get them up ASAP

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »
Dude got no head!

I like the old school pistol on the Sargeant - Empire bit?

Offline Changeyname

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
indeed dude got no head, its one of the bodyguards, doing his job ;)

and yes, i like the idea of the company commander having an antique pistol, maybe it belonged to an historic general or some such

well spotted, can't remember which particular kit, maybe the mounted pistoleers but IIRC its from the militia box set 

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2009, 04:45:31 PM »
I like it, the setup for the basing looks good. Can't wait to see that part.

Offline Fugitive

• Major, Best Painted Sentinel
  • Tuseday is soylent green day.
    • my portfolio
Re: Project: UK-GD Entry 2009 [Now with Pictures]
« Reply #9 on: June 3, 2009, 07:08:05 PM »
I love it. Lots of things going on. The mortar team/medic interaction, bodyguard dying, grenade throwing and a menacing commissar in the back.

Though I'm not sure about the pose of the ordnance/vox guy. His upper body looks very casual, like he's standing still yet he has legs that moving. That's th only thing I'd change.

One more minor thing. You can't quiet tell if who the commissar is aiming at. The officer or the most forward guardsman? I think it's the guardsman, but maybe you want to move the figures a little bit more apart, just to remove any doubts.

Other than that it looks great so far. Looking forward to more progress. 

I survived the "CoC Crackdown".

Offline Changeyname

• Ancient
Re: Project: UK-GD Entry 2009 [Now with Pictures]
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »
Firstly thanks for the comments to those that have, its helping having other peoples perspectives on it (and inflating the ego as well ;) )

Ok some more pictures for you guys
I've made the scenic base now, based the models and undercoated the lot

hope you like

Offline Kobrakei

• Everything is better with cowbell
Re: Project: UK-GD Entry 2009 [Now with Pictures - Updated 07 Jun]
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
Dude that's looking sweet...what colours you going with for the guardsmen themselves? And also how'd you'd get that basing done as I quite like the look of that for when I get my Guard started (so that'll be like 2011 :P)
I like -
1 - Making lists
2 - The number two
3 - Endings

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 05:20:25 PM »
Wow, nice.

I'd recommend putting in some things though.
1)A few small craters/ more rugged terrain
2)A few more terrain pieces, more barbed wire and a few sandbags.
3)A dead guardsmen or 2.

Nice though.
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline Insulin Junkie

• Death or Glory! Mostly Death...
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 01:12:25 AM »
Sweet! Love the idea of the Command Squad leading the charge with a little, uhh... persuasion, from the Comissar. Love the base too!

The only things that I noticed that I would change were the Vox man and the Mortar team. I agree with Fugitive, the whole scene is really dynamic, but the Vox guy looks like he missed the CHARGE!!! memo. He's just kinda standing there chillin. And maybe but a few sandbags or something in front of the mortar team, their out in the open and generally mortar teams find something to hide behind. Plus I don't think the medic would take it too kindly if he took a bullet to the head.

Oh one other thing, love the bodyguard with his head missing! That's just good, gory fun.  ;D

Insulin Junkie
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout!

It really sucks when a Baneblade kills sixteen Berzerkers in one turn...

Offline Changeyname

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »
Right guys, your advice has been taken on board and with that in mind I've repositioned the master of the ordnance into a more dynamic pose

he's not running like (most) of the rest but his legs are now braced, front leg straight and back leg bent as if avoiding the fire which has taken care of the bodyguard directly in front of him

he has also had his right arm moved so its ext to his headband operating the vox system calling in a bombardment to soften the enemy for the chargers

pictures will be incoming but I have a rather hectic work schedule for the next few days, my first day off in 10 is monday so I'll take them then at the latest :)

as for the base, the models will usually be removed from any scenic for judging so as much as i want to make it look good its a secondary concern as of now
maybe when the squad is done I'll think about modding it to look busier but for now it's as is

1)A few small craters/ more rugged terrain

ok the picture's are deceptive as the undercoat takes some of the perspective away but the area's I've outlined below are deep enough that when the base is finished they'll be filled with wet effect to create craters/pools

cheers again guys and keep it coming
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 08:44:39 AM by Changeyname »

Offline The Unborn

• Dood, we is in ur base stealin ur doods!
Re: Project: UK-GD Entry 2009 [Now with Pictures - Updated 12th Jun]
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
This looks very promising!  I await to see more!
Awaha!

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »
About the dude with no head. I would get some "hard" water effect (not the liquidy stuff, the other one they use for waterfalls. Add some 1:1 blood red anything dark blue to tint it and then I would make a fountaining blood in several tiny streams from the neck upwards
(something like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4134KdPeY6L._SS500_.jpg)
Done in moderation it would make an interesting accent point and simple, but effective conversion. Just don't overdo it (it is overdone on the link above)., Now if you decide to do it it has to be done after you finish painting

Offline Changeyname

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
skeevem thank you so very much, i've been looking for something like that and i never would have thought about using the "hard" wet-effect to do it

as for the lack of updates, i realised that to paint the models bases i'd need to finish the scenic base first to match the pattern so thats what i've been working on around actual work

updates will be forthcoming this week, either monday or wednesday

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 06:13:21 PM »
I must admit, I don't get it.

Apart from the wrong wargear for your bodyguards (IIRC), half the unit is in a static pose (Medic, Mortar, MoO, Commissar) whilst half is running and they're crewing a weapon that should presumably be further behind the lines. I mean, it looks promising, but I think you'd be better served by a static HQ or an all running HQ with assault weapons. Plus you could have a flamer then, and work on your greenstuff fire skills and lighting techniques. :P