News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GW Spray Gun  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Bindor

GW Spray Gun
« on: February 11, 2009, 04:03:20 AM »
Hi,

I've been thinking about buying the new flamer shaped spray gun.

I was just wondering if I'd be able to connect it to our air compressor rather than buying the cans of air?

I know there are different brands and types of air compressors, but has anyone else had any luck with this?

Thanks.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: GW Spray Gun
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:12:04 AM »
It uses the same connector as the popular Badger spray gun, so you can get a compressor that fits with tat and should have no problem.

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:28:46 AM »
You can connect it to any compressor you want as long as you have a badger hose with the proper fitting.  It really work better if you have it on a compressor compared to the canned air as you will have a regulated air as apposed to an air source that is constantly dropping in pressure.

Offline Bindor

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »
I've heard that when using the cans something can freeze up. Does this problem still occur when using an air compressor?

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 03:20:24 AM »
Not as much because the propellant in the spray cans is put in the tins as liquid.
You can buy adapters that fit on car tyre valves.
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »
The longer a compressor runs the warmer the air gets.  The motor will heat it up as it get's hot.  That's what causes condensation in the air line.

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:06:42 PM »
If you go the way of the compressor I'd advise against a diaphragm type compressor.

There are a lot of piston type compressors out there that are a million times better.

If you feel like shelling out the extra you can often get a compressor and airbrush in a bundle package. With the water trap and a nice braided hose as well. I got one recently and it was £100 for everything. In terms of performance it's good enough that 2 other people that have seen it in action have gone and got the same deal as me.

In terms of Paint and performance. We used 3 standard brushes of paint thinned 1:5 in the brush and it completely covered a black undercoated terminator with ultramarine blue. Personally i can't hand brush to that level of economy, and the GW spray gun eats paint as well as leaving a slightly blebby finish. The model in question has a perfectly flat paintjob now. All we did to finish it was wash with blue ink watered down then touch up the highlights, and a fine detail pick.

In terms of cost.

Gw gun - £20
Air - £5

A can of air will do 2 squads if your using multiple coats.

So For a 2K army or somewhere there abouts. 4 troop, 2 elites, 1 fast attack, HQ, 2 heavys. 10 units - Probably about £25 in air, maybe more.

Total £45 + paints

The Compressor deal is a flat £100.

So the main concern is if you plan to paint multiple armies, Or armies over 4K points in size then Getting the compressor is the better deal. Also if you factor in making a table, terrain, and speed the compressor and airbrush start to beat the GW spray gun again.

Offline Commissar Mackenzie

• Black Templar Politician/Commissar/Necron Research
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:25:49 PM »
I strongly suggest that you buy a cheaper end Badger airbrush instead, it will have more flexibility and heads for all purposes. But if you do go with the spraygun, you can find compatible compressors no doubt. But if you decide to go with spray cans however, be sure to buy three. As Japizzy mentioned, the spray cans will get cold and loose pressure, therefore you will need to switch them out when doing many figures.

But optimally, if you are willing to buy a compressor, you might as well spend a little bit more to buy a Badger airbrush.
"GW wants to milk us of our money"
  :)

My Eye Candy Music Vids! 40k/MW
MW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS1a5q-Q6Ok

40k: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6mFRfP4gjc

Offline Bindor

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 12:46:22 AM »
Alright, I'll have a look at airbrushes. The reason I asked was because we already have an air compressor, so hopefully the one that we have fits the GW one, if I don't end up buying a different one that is.

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:44:01 AM »
Well if you buy another airbrush they usually come with a hose so if you have a compressor all you will need is a 1/4" fitting on the compressor and you'll be set.

All badger models are pretty economical, and I've heard nothing but good news about their new renegade line of airbrushes.  they are around $120us on the net.  I plan on getting one soon, as I like to collect airbrushes.

Here is a link to a good online retailer so you can see what it looks like
http://www.dickblick.com/products/badger-renegade-series-airbrushes/

Another great starter airbrush is an Iwata Eclipse CS.  I use have one in my collection and use it all of the time.  It's about the same cost as the badger I recommended.

Again here is a link to the Eclipse
http://www.dickblick.com/products/iwata-eclipse-series-airbrushes/

Offline Bindor

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 09:06:41 PM »
I'm thinking maybe I could buy a bit that will connect my air compressor hose to the gun.

So, what is the size of the guns air connector bit?
I can take my hose in, so I can use it's size, but I don't know the size of the bit on the gun.

I made a diagram...It sucks.

---------/?/---------|,,,,,,,',',',',',
---------\?\-    -----|''''''',',,',',','
                  |   |
                  |   |

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:52:47 AM »
The size is the same as on a Badger, which is unique to that manufacturer.  Most newer companies don't do that and use a standart 1/8" fitting, but badger, and paasche too for that matter, still use their own fittings.  You'll have to get a badger hose.  Their hose will have a standard 1/4" fitting on the compressor end though.

I've seen specialized adapters that Iwata makes that will allow a 1/8" inch hose fit on a badger airbrush.  I have one and it works okay, but you'll probably have to special order it.

At the very bottom of this page you'll find it.

http://www.dixieart.com/Airbrush_Hoses_and_more.html

Good luck.

James

Offline Bindor

« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2009, 04:36:15 AM »
Sorry to all about bringing this back, just one more question.

I have found one, but...

I was wondering what the paint to water ratio is on the paint holding bit?
I know it might just be a rough thing, but just a starting point would be good.

Thanks if anyone can help me out.

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #13 on: March 3, 2009, 08:24:24 AM »
A good rule of thumb to start with is that you want your paint to be the consistancy of milk.  Some paints will need more, as their chemistry makes them a little thicker than others.  Like I always find gobline green to be much thicker in the bottle than like snot green.

I beleive that the gw bottle mesures about one part water for 2 parts paint... but I always went roughly one to one with GW paints.  I also like using windes to thin them.

Also airbrushing is usually a matter of taste.... you cause use thicker materials with high pressure and vice versa.  The GW airbrush is a siphon feed so it would probably work best with thicker materials.  I myself like a lot of thin coats and light passes to build up color.  But you could probably spray pudding through it if you wanted to put the pressure at like 100psi.  Air brushing doesn't always mean faster, but it definately means smoother.