News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Incubi are they really worth it  (Read 2969 times)

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
Incubi are they really worth it
« on: May 9, 2005, 02:57:45 PM »
 I am trying to get together a 1ooo pt army list and I can't decide to use 8 incubi in a raider or two talos' both are good what does everyone suggest I do who will do more damage once they get in combat cheers all
it was harry...

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
Re: Incubi are they really worth it
« Reply #1 on: May 9, 2005, 03:03:08 PM »
Take the taloi. Incubi are overrated, many of the long time players stopped using them completely. Additionally, incubi are not recommened below 1500pts anyway, and eight of them are overkill too.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #2 on: May 9, 2005, 03:20:59 PM »
In 1K points 8 Incubi are definitely a huge points sink.  I rarely take more than 5 at 2K.  Go with the Taloi.   

I would disagree that they are overrated though.  If you field a lord and give her a warrior retinue you basically have one character in the entire unit capable of killing even a standard SM.  A smart opponent will run a regular Tac squad into your HQs to bog it down for at least 2 turns, probably more.  With a squad full of Power Weapons, I wouldn't think twice about assaulting Terminators.     
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: May 9, 2005, 03:37:26 PM »
A warrior retinue is obviously a bad idea...having the lord in a squad wyches however are an entirely different thing, and very powerful. I'd prefer that above incubi any day.

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
« Reply #4 on: May 9, 2005, 04:17:55 PM »
 So 2 talos' it is then thx guys
it was harry...

Offline Nuclearfeet

• eh, wha-?
« Reply #5 on: May 9, 2005, 09:11:40 PM »
but in larger than 1500 pt games, take incubi (especially against marines!!!).  they can kick some major tail, especially if you can get them into a position to sweep advance their entire army in a flank attack (last battle I fought, I'll make a battle report one of these days!).
<Insert quote here>

Offline Balthus

• Did that hurt?Yes?ok ill do it again then
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 03:43:17 AM »
Sorry but i see the talos as a waste of time in my 2700pt army.They never get into the fight as they are so damm slow ppl see them coming even from the wwp and go out the way to avoid them.
All the guys i play nowknow its pointless shooting at the talos so i used tohave 2 talos plodding around a large board 40"x72" and never killing anything so thats 200pts wasted.
My incubi on the other hand kick MAJOR ass,1 lord with an agoniser,Drazhar,1 incubi master with another agoniser and 8 incubi cut through squads of marines/necrons in 1 turn with maybe 1-2losses back if they get a lucky roll an my save roll sucked.A squad of 10 marines will lose about 3 to the lords agnoniser/re-roll drug,2 to draz,1-2 to incubi master and then the rest of the 8 incubi usually finish the rest of the unit off and consolidate into the next unit.
How can you not want a unit that does that kinda dmg per turn?
Used well,the incubi an lord are the most devestating combo ive seen in any army and all the guys i play with agree,even the sm player backs off his termies when the incubi come at him and tries to fire at me (but he usualy fails as i see it coming and the lord detaches himself from the retinue,boosts himself with a nice 12" assault drug and cuts a bloody path into the termies whislt waiting for the rest of the incubi to arrive and help out,his invulnerable 2+ shield usualy keeps him alive from any termies that were in rng and still alive to attack back.
The name of the game that ive found with playing a DE army for all the years they have been out is if he aint alive after youve charged and attacked,he cant hit you back and incubi do this better than any of the other DE unit,including the talos as you may only roll a 1 on the d6 and only get the 1 attack,whereas a full lord/incubi are going to kill at least 5-7 of even the toughest opponents.
The one game i played vs necrons was hysterical as i shot forward on a raider,dismounted with scaling nets behind cover and the nice necron player had done a refused flank tactic and so my incubi just cut his army to pieces by killing and consolidating into every unit.The rest of my army sat down an played cards.

Offline barf

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 10:16:02 AM »
I'd always take the talos, unless I was against Marines. Then I would try to shoe horn in a minimum squad of incubi.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 10:35:16 AM »

How can you not want a unit that does that kinda dmg per turn?
Because they will probably wipe out their target on the charge, and leave you vulnerable to shooting in the enemy turn. A smaller retinue is just as effective at dispatching marines, cheaper and less vulnerable to shooting. It also won't hurt you as much to lose a 5-6 incubi HQ to a lucky shot than that über-HQ.

Offline Satanic Joker Jester

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 12:28:07 PM »
why dont you take enough incubi to let you field ONE talos? so you get the best of both worlds
another day, just breathe.

Looking for a new army project...
Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Possible, that it could all be wonderful~
Sweet the sound, as all the stars come crashing down~

Offline Balthus

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 01:25:05 PM »
why dont you take enough incubi to let you field ONE talos? so you get the best of both worlds

Because i se them as a waste of 100pts when the slot they use up can be taken up by a ravager with 3 hvy weapons and a night shield,or a small unit of scourges with 4 SC who bounce around the board firing 16 shots a go from only 4 ppl.

Offline barf

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 03:59:59 PM »
If you can effectively deliver talos to the action, I prefer them to incubi. And doing that is really not that hard. Ravagers are way to vulnerable for the points that are put into them. Talos can make as many points back, and are less likely to die.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 07:36:05 PM »
They never get into the fight as they are so damm slow ppl see them coming even from the wwp and go out the way to avoid them.

That is a reason to take a Talos.  Unless the only games you play are Cleanse type.  Think about it.  In a Recon mission so what if your Talos never makes it into your enemies deployment zone?  Let it get into HtH with any unit coming into yours and it should not be a scoring unit at the end of the game.  Even a sandard SM tac squad will run your opponent more than 100 points.  He needs a scoring unit to take that objective marker.  No problem.  Park the Talos by one and even though it can't hold, chances are your opponent won't either.

If your opponent goes out of his way to avoid the Talos welcome to Dark Eldar 101.  You just made your opponent fight your battle plan.  Never ever fight his.   

Remember not all games are "kill them all, let god sort em out".  And the Talos can be extremely effective in these types.   
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• The Twisted Haemonculus
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Serious as a hemophiliac in a razor blade factory.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 07:56:35 PM »
Incubi are good, but you have to be careful about using them. I myself prefer my archon to jet around with 9 wychs, but thats mostly because incubi are overkill, and tend to leave themselves open. HOWEVER, if your opponent is rather silly and bunchs a couple squads together, then you can kill a squad when you assault, consolidate into the next and avoid being shot at on your opponents turn. Then, during the assualt, you wipe out the next squad (Honestly, with incubi, to not do this there better be 20 of them), and have your nexty movemnent phase to get the incubi into assualt range again, or out.
People ask how come I play such a twisted army. I reply that I have the heart of a young boy; in a jar right next to his brain.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline OneMeanChicken

• I am just that mean!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »
IN MY OPINION....

I consider myself a true Dark Eldar play and try to make any unit a worthwhile investment. Right now I am doing pretty cool thinks with mandrakes and the decapitator. With Dark Eldar you have to play smart...

Like ollieb said:" If your opponent goes out of his way to avoid the Talos welcome to Dark Eldar 101.  You just made your opponent fight your battle plan.  Never ever fight his. "

Well incubi are the same way I thinks... First off, they only really are usefull vs specific armies:
Space Marines
Chaos Space Marines
Necrons
Sisters
Grey Knights
Eldar
Using the most beefed up Incubi squad against Imperial Guard, Tau, or even orcs will get ur ass kicked hard. Talk about one hit wonders...
Even then you hear about poeple who use this squad
Lord+ Agonizer + wargear
Draznar
Incubi Master w/ whatever wargear
7x Incubi
Raider
Ever thought how many points that is for one heavy bolter shot to take out the raider and make the slower squad "Pointless"

I used this last game against a Necron player in a 1500 and this squad did very wonderfull things!
Lord + Agonizer Splinter Pistol
5x Incubi
Raider w/ Shadowfield
Pts 251... Kinda expesive for a 1500 but with a nightshield it did wonderfull things... Took out at least 400 points of warriors!
By the way, against necrons a nightshield is the best thing ever. Considering most of their units have range 24" Just stop ur raider 19 inches outside of the warriors and watch them get all irritated as they are just outa range but you still can assualt them next turn. And then when they teleport those warriors accross the map and try to take out ur ravener or raider with 6" range... you get the picture.

And the Monolith will tp and kill what with a 6" range hit all targets gun? hahaa

And for missions that have objectives... Place your incubi near the objective with some cover with that super fast raider. They got a 3+ armor save that can save their ass alot and no one will try and assualt them.. Unless they are just stupid...

Offline Balthus

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2005, 06:08:57 PM »
Say what you will about them but i finished a 1800 pt game 2day vs my friends new codex nids.I had to drop a lot of my bikes,hellions,scourges to field some of the other more shooty things like x4 full units of warriors and ravagers.My full incubi unit with master,draz and lord crashed into 32 of those termagants i think they called,along with a tyrant and his 3 bodyguards.
My 10 man unit downed in the region of 7-800pts of his army,unaided and all alone b4 biting the dust and the only reason they went down then was due to the ridiculas rules that allow the nids to do full attacks back even if you strike them all down in cc b4 they get a chance to hit back,bit overpowered there,i could accept that they get 1 last attack as they die to take you with them but full attacks after death is crazy.
Anyways,id like to have seen any other unit,including ol talos boy take that much abuse and kill as much as they did,he only walked away with 3 dogs,1 bodyguard and a tyrant on 1 wound remaining,i was utnumbered around 5-4 to 1 there :o ;D

Offline effigy22

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2005, 08:14:26 PM »
i take 2 talos's, but mainly because my army is heavily based on warriors... having 2 talos is a good thing because they take a hell of alot of firepower away from the ever so fragile warriors... incubi are a good choice in a 1500 plus game any lower i stick with 2 talos's

effy

Offline faithlessmonkeigh

• Dracon. Nope, no more title shenanigans.
  • let me!! judge you!!
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 05:57:09 AM »
i donno guys personally i hate taloi - they are so slow - 6inch a turn, so anyone can avoid them, sure when they get in there they generally do well - but really i don't think tha ever happens.
however incubi are just as bad in most cases- if they gave the incubi the fleet of foot rule then surely i'd use em ,
but no such luck for us im afraid - yes aginast space marine tactical squads and the like they kik ass, personally id rather use wyches with my lord, its way better in all situations
well thats something to mull over

...Aaaaaaaand you completely missed the point of the topic.  Thanks.
-Kyure -

Offline Balthus

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
So put them on a raider???

Offline -|ArAzAeL|-

• oRaNgE oRrAcLe=mInE
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 02:00:53 PM »
no no Incubi are not overrated.  I take 6 with my archon in a raider wiht any game.  Ravagers are better than talos' too.  They can move up to 24" or 12 and still shoot one DL while talos' are very slow and do not have the best weapon...until into CC.  And INcubi....6 of them charging and enemy gets 3 attacks each up to a total of 18 power weapon attacks. 
OrRaClE aUtOcOcKeR -
JT PrOtEuS II MaSk-
ViEwLoAdEr EvLuTiOn II- Pb HoPpEr-
Dye, SmArT pArTs, or wOrRgAmEs NiTrO-