News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Does GW hate Salamanders?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
Does GW hate Salamanders?
« on: November 28, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »
So,

Ultramarines have got loads of special characters in the SM codex.

Iron Hands and Imperial Fists each got a codex supplement

The Ravenguard and White Scars got some love in Montka.

But what happened to the Salamanders? They seem to have been even more forgotten than the CSM codex!
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Does GW hate Salamanders?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 01:46:09 AM »
From a fluff perspective, Sallys are the "nice guy" marines, and that's tricky in the Grimdark. Their Chapter Tactics more-or-less require Vulkan, past a reasonable point level to get that MC Melta amazingness.

So whatever supplement you'd add, you'd need to either fold Vulkan's buffs in, or make Vulkan part of it. Sallys aren't really known for their speedy movement, and 7th rewards that, so they'd need a work around for that, to make the supplement sell.

I like playing Sallys. I split my time between them and Ultras. I was actually kustomizin' some combi-weapons for some Sergeants this evening. Drop-Sallys were super popular in 5th, for the meta-crushing melta-spam, but that's gone by the wayside starting in 6th, and pretty much killed it in 7th, from a competitive standpoint. Melta's less awesome than it once was, and buffed flamers... well... let's just say that Necrons, Knights, and Wraith Constructs have little to fear.

Master Crafted close combat weapons are also less than spectacular, in the current edition. So without revamping Sallys to, say, master craft all weapon upgrades, or something, then there's not much more you can do for their existing bonuses, besides make some Chapter Specific units [Dragon Knights! ;)] or re-craft the fluff to support some other rules overhaul.

They aren't hated, but I don't think there's much you could do to tweak them from what they are.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Does GW hate Salamanders?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:08:38 AM »
I agree with much of what Spectral Arbor says. I'd also add the they'll get their turn, I'm sure. With the way formations work, it would be relatively simple to give them the fun stuff they deserve (like getting their bonuses without Vulkan, for instance). Given their relative lack of popularity since 5th ed, though, I don't expect it soon.