News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,000k DH list w/Inducted IG. First posted list.  (Read 871 times)

Offline Madeley

• Mmm... tasty greenskin!
1,000k DH list w/Inducted IG. First posted list.
« on: August 27, 2007, 12:01:51 PM »
Hello 40k online!

Yes this is my first post, and yes I do have some newbie questions to ask, but I would also like to get a critique on this list that I've been working on.

I collected Necrons before Daemonhunters, and adopted a style akin to 'air' players, with excessive use of teleportation, destroyers and wraiths. Now I've taken up Daemonhunters. I've gone ahead with buying and painting a relatively large starter army. The only problem is settling on a 1000 point list I'm happy with.

In the group I play with there are a few MEQ's, IG, Tau, Eldar and a recently started Ork player.

In terms of models that are available to me, as well as what you see in this list, I have 10 Greyknights, another Inquisitor (w/Plasmapistol and Thunderhammer) 3 Plasmacolytes and a spare Heavy Bolter heavy weapons base.

Although the list here lacks a lot of the mobility that I'm used to in my Necron army, my plan was to produce a 1000 point list that would provide a solid base to build a 1500 point list with mechanised Stormtroopers which would include squads of Grey Knights and Terminators. Meanwhile the Chimeras and Sentinel would provide at least limited mobility, while the Eversor is a low cost unit, designed to keep the enemy worried about it, rather than the battle cannon on the other side of the board.

I originally wrote this list so that the inquisitors retinue had 3 Heavy Bolter Gun Servitors, and the 2nd Armoured fist had a heavy bolter as well, I decided that this was simply heavy bolter saturation, as I would of had 12 AP4 Heavy 3 weapons on the table! So after some points juggling, I settled with giving the Daemonhunters some much needed heavy firepower.

If you care to do the maths, you'd find that I didn't pay full price for the terminator armour. My reasoning is that the Inquisitor Lord is already paying for the power armour he comes with, so when you get the terminator armour it replaces the power armour and the points value of the power armour can be put towards the terminator armour. My newbie question is (if you understood my wording), is that legal?

Anyway, without further delay, I give you my army list:

HQ
Inquisitor Lord
   w/Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Thunderhammer

Retinue:
1 Gun Servitor   
   w/ Heavy Bolter
2 IG Veterans
   w/ 2 Plasmaguns      
2 Sages
Familiar

Elites
Eversor Assassin

Troops 1
5 Stormtroopers         
   w/ 2 Plasmaguns         

Troops 2
5 Stormtroopers         
   w/ 2 Plasmaguns         

Troops 3
Inducted IG Armoured Fists
   w/ Heavy Bolter
Chimera            
w/ Heavy Bolter, Hull Heavy Bolter, Pintle Mounted Stubber, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers      

Troops 4
   w/ Lascannon
Chimera      
w/ Heavy Bolter, Hull Heavy Bolter, Pintle Mounted Stubber, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

Fast Attack
Sentinel
   w/ Lascannon

Heavy Support

Leman Russ MBT
   w/ Lascannon, Heavy Bolters

1006 points

I'll welcome any and all comments, criticisms, suggestions and advice. Although it should be noted that the thunderhammers and familiar are fluff items and I'd rather not remove them.

Regards

Madeley

EDIT
It would also be possible for me to replace the inquisitor lord with a GK Brother Captain w/psycannon and then downgrade the lord to a regular inquisitor. The BC could then join the inquisitors retinue and provide more mobile fire-support.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:47:56 PM by Madeley »

Offline CaptainReindeer

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: 1,000k DH list w/Inducted IG. First posted list.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 03:35:59 PM »
To start with, in answer to your question, no you can't take a refund on your power armour! Sorry...!

Overall the list looks pretty good to me... Yeah, I'd lose the Thunder Hammer and Familiar, but as you like... If you're doing it just for fluff though, maybe a Daemonhammer instead...? Is the weapon of choice for many an Inquisitor Lord...!

The two squads of Inq Stormtroopers are not gonna do much on foot except get shot to pieces long before they can get into rapid fire range. And one sentinel on its own is probably not gonna do an awful lot before it too gets taken down. Also, I've always found heavy stubbers rather expensive for what you get. (The same for the Psycannon - lovely weapon, but just a little too expensive).

So my suggestion would be to lose the sentinel and heavy stubbers, and replace the Psycannon with something cheaper. Then add in some transport for the Stormtroopers - it's should be enough to get you a couple of Rhinos.

If you only want to use the models you have available... Hmmm, I'd probably recommend putting the two squads of Stormtroopers together into one larger squad to increase their durability, which would mean losing a couple of plasma guns. Then with the points saved from the plasma guns, and the points from the savings above (sentinel, heavy stubbers, psycannon), add in a squad of Grey Knights, as many as you can afford.

Hope that's of some help...!!

Offline Spherik

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 03:37:23 PM »
Hello! Turns out me and you are making pretty similar lists.

First things first - you can't do what you did with the armors. You must pay full price for the 2+ armor - no matter how good your logic is.

Secondly, I dont think you can take any heavy support from inducted guard. Pretty sure its only troop and FA choices. Should say so in the codex(which is at home right now). So what would probably be best would to have your parent army be IG if you want the Leman Russ and take DH as you're allies.

Offline CaptainReindeer

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:41:45 PM »
Secondly, I dont think you can take any heavy support from inducted guard. Pretty sure its only troop and FA choices. Should say so in the codex(which is at home right now). So what would probably be best would to have your parent army be IG if you want the Leman Russ and take DH as you're allies.

Nope, he's quite correct - with two IG troop choices you get to take a Leman Russ, if you so desire...!

Offline Spherik

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 04:52:44 PM »
My mistake then! Looks like I know what i'll be doing for my 1,500 pt army then

Offline Madeley

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 05:14:03 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it in a second.

I would love to have my GK in this list, however I must ask about peoples experiences with GK on foot. Although I've only ever taken halfsquads on foot (due to my limited army at the time) I've always found using stormtroopers to fill out the troops then DSing large squads of GK's worked best...

Any suggestions for stopping the knights from getting pummeled before they can tear the enemy a new one?

Madeley

Offline Last Chancer Pete

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
with the points limit, no. without cheap transport, GK have to foot slog it (unless used as FA).

as for your inquisitor, i would just drop the familiar. i've had success with the T-hammer on mine, but the extra initiative from the familiar is wasted when your forced to attack last. also, as an alternative to terminator armor, grab some artificer armor. i've used an artificer armored inquisitor (the elites one, no less) almost every time. best game with him was when he single-handedly tied up a 400+ point (i think) seer council for four turns! ;D just about bust my gut laughing at my brother's frustration.

Offline Madeley

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 12:34:49 PM »
Ok revised list. I've dumped the Familiar character in favour of an acolyte character.  :D

Now I had only once choice if I wanted to include GK's in this list, that was cut the stormies to 5 men with no upgrades, and then put in 5 GK's. I decided that was silly, and instead bulked up the Stormtrooper squad, so that in the end they should get some of their anti-MEQ goodies off before they died horrible painful deaths. I didn't consider rhinos, as I'm trying to make a list from models I have, and rhinos are not one of them. Although I will definitely be getting them before my 1500 army is complete.

Anyway, revised list:

HQ
Inquisitor Lord
   w/Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Thunderhammer

Retinue:
Acolyte
   w/ Caraprace Armour, Storm Bolter
2 Gun Servitors   
   w/ Heavy Bolters     
2 Sages

Elites
Eversor Assassin

Troops 1
8 Stormtroopers         
   w/ 2 Plasmaguns         

Troops 2
8 Stormtroopers         
   w/ 2 Plasmaguns         

Troops 3
   w/ Heavy Bolter
Chimera           
w/ Heavy Bolter, Hull Heavy Bolter, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers     

Troops 4
   w/ Lascannon
Chimera     
w/ Heavy Bolter, Hull Heavy Bolter, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

Heavy Support
Leman Russ MBT
   w/ Lascannon, Heavy Bolters

How do you figure that'll fair?

Thanks,
Madeley

Offline CaptainReindeer

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: September 5, 2007, 12:13:25 PM »
Personally I like it better than your first list...

Over-equipped Inq Lord, but hey if that's the fluff you wanna go with then go for it...

Lots of heavy bolters, which are a fantastic all round weapon for 1000 points games.

Some good anti-MEQ with the 4 plasma guns, and with the larger squads they have a little more chance of surviving to unleash it!

A little bit of anti-armor with the LR and the lascannon armed IG squad...

And the LR provide some really good durability in a 1000 point game.

Overall, works for me...!

How many points does it work out exactly...? An auspex would be a nice addition for the Inq Lord if you have any points to spare... Swap a sage for a mystic maybe...? You're getting off enough shots with the squad that one re-roll won't make a lot of different most of the time (2 sages are most essential if you have a plasma cannon in the retinue...!) - might be more useful to get the free shots against deep-strikers...?

Offline Madeley

« Reply #9 on: September 7, 2007, 11:27:38 AM »
It's 1004 points as it is.

If I was looking at making a more efficient list (rather then fluffy one), while keeping my main piece of bait (the eversor) would this be a better idea: Taking a GK BC, then using my standard games workshop inquisitor in the elite slot with basically the same setup, but with caraprace armour instead of termi armour, and with a psycannon bolted bolter... with the same retinue, this comes to about 120 points... which gives me more points to toy with, maybe even include a deepstriking squad of grey knights which the brother captain could join.

Now that you mention it, replacing a sage is a good idea. I've always misread that rule as 'May reroll failed to-hit rolls' rather than 'May re-roll a failed to hit roll'. Would it be a good idea to maybe add some 'padding' wounds as well? aka. familiars (provided I can find 6 points)

Thanks a lot for the feedback. All I need to do now is challenge one of my unwary friends to see how this list goes.

Madeley