News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necron Vehicle phase out?  (Read 3872 times)

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
  • Don't botha me! I'm workin' on sumfin'!
Necron Vehicle phase out?
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
Hi all  ;),

I'm the answer to a question that I just came up with and can't seem to find out the information anywhere else online. My question is:

Is it possible (fluff wise) for a Necron vehicle to be captured and basically re-engineered after the crew have been appropriately disposed of or would it suffer from the 'phase out' situation like dead warriors do although not really being damaged at all?

I understand that I can pretty much do whatever I want with models, but not being too strong with the fluff, I thought I'd better check  :)

My Orky gratitude  ;)

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
Re: Necron Vehicle phase out?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:36:18 PM »
Based on the new material, yes. The Necron tendancy to teleport away doesn't seem to really exist under their new background. Neither do Pariah's. And the C'tan are neutered pets. It all really sucks, i'd say Ward should stick with writing rules but... Well... I'm not going to go there.

In short though, it would seem the answer is that yes, Orks can hijack a Ghost Ark. Or a Monolyth. Or a Doomsday Ark, etc.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
  • Don't botha me! I'm workin' on sumfin'!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »
Hey Lachdonin,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have every intention of looting said vehicles  ;D

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:11:17 AM »
Actually, the fluff about teleporting away hasn't actually changed. In fact, it the codex is quite clear that damaged Necrons teleport away, and if they can't teleport, they self destruct, and the two fates actually look very similar to each other, so it is nearly impossible to tell what happened.

I would say that while it is technically possible for a Necron vehicle to be captured, it is extremely unlikely to occur.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:51:23 AM »
Actually, the fluff about teleporting away hasn't actually changed. In fact, it the codex is quite clear that damaged Necrons teleport away, and if they can't teleport, they self destruct, and the two fates actually look very similar to each other, so it is nearly impossible to tell what happened.

I would say that while it is technically possible for a Necron vehicle to be captured, it is extremely unlikely to occur.

In fact, the Codex is very poorly thought out in terms of background, as it also states that Scarabs and Ghost Arks are used to recover destroyed Necrons and break them down into useable resources. If they either teleported or self destructed, why would you need Scarabs to recover them? Then you also have statements that 'aliens' have regularly looted, and continue to loot, Necron technology, which the Overlords are particularly keen to recover.

Its just terribly written, but does support the notion of looted Necron vehicles.

Offline csan17

• Not always lurking
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »
My reading on the codex is that through continual rebuilding the Necron systems eventually break down at which point they can't be rebuilt, so self destruction ensues.

Point 1: One could argue that over the millenia the stolen artifacts broke down or became disabled without a power source and their GPS\recall ability is inoperable. Also, who is to say that everything that was made came with the ability to be recalled, 30 million years ago (or however long), they were the masters of the universe, why would they need to recall something if it shouldn't disappear in the first place???

Point 2: As for capturing a vehicle, one could argue that you're shooting a big gun at a vehicle and disabling onboard systems in the process. I seriously doubt that the Necrons no matter how intelligent or forward thinking would build in more than double redundancy on any particular system. Any repairs made by the orcs would most likely bypass the systems that were inoperable.

As for the Pariahs, I'm glad I don't own any of those guys, but you can really see the ability for the Necrons to expand their army line ... 10 years from now with the next codex. Also, did anyone else see the pirate necron (can't recall name) that tricked the Tomb World into letting him leave? I wanna field that guy! C'Tan did get neutered, but in the same breath, it makes the Necrons that much more powerful because they subdued gods. Can't think of anyone else that's done that... more because I don't know all the fluff lol.

The background story of the Necrons did change a lot, but at the same time it's a lot more engaging and I feel there is enough information to actually write books about them now. I would certainly enjoy reading them if it happens.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »
At the risk of meandering off topic, and while i agree that the Necrons are now a more involved, socially developed 'people', i dissagree that its a good thing. They've become another of a myriad of 'fallen and bitter powers'. Its an old schtic, and too many people get beaten with it. You robbed the Galaxy of a major historically pivitoal component in favor of making Necrons a bunch of crotchety old guys, and for what? The ability to include new units? Didn't have to do a complete about face to do that.

It also opens up a host of contradictions which leave many story archs throughout 40k muddied, such as the Void Dragon on Mars, the Tyranid aversion to Tomb Worlds (Now their saying Tyranids regularly destroy tombs) and the nature of the known Dyson Sphere. It also renders some publications completely obsolete. It can be argued that the change served the Necrons (But isn't a sure thing) but it most certianly did so at the expense of the universe as a whole.

The phasing out of Necron vehicles and troops is a perfect example of this. Once we had a clear cut explination. You couldn't hijack Necron vehicles because when sufficiently damaged, they 'phased out' and teleported back to a Tomb World for repairs. Now we have contradictory information and vague refferances. Apparently the Necrons can transport great distances, but have no FTL of their own (They hyjack Webway tunnels). They can create pocket dimensions which, somehow, allow them to appear anywhere, but at the same time can become isolated from eachother.

Its all rubbish.

Offline Shadows Revenge

• The All Knowing
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Raven Guard
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
At the risk of meandering off topic

Youve just opened a whole can of worms :P Im not going to go into this, but I will say that I cant think of a bigger screw up in 40k fluff since having two War in Heavens (funny... that was Cron fluff as well... guess GW just cant get it right with them ;) ) and it seriously just reeks for Wardian word play. I actually cant think of anything they have done that completely made so much of their own background obsolete so fast.

But I digress... I would say yes, it could he hijacked. I could see say... an Ork Warboss, while cutting those puny tin men out of their stupid shielded flying bones with his Power Klaw, just so happen to cut a few wires here and there to stop both the teleportation and self destruct sequences. It happens in real life (say... US losing an experimental drone in Iran) Im sure itll happening in the grim dark future.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:07:34 AM »
I don't think there's real evidence that Necrons have wires to cut, at least not in the way we think of them. That being said, anything an Ork can sink a rivet into is certainly fair game. I don't imagine any of the original Necron features on a looted Necron vehicle would remain functional from a practical point of view. Not that it's impossible, just unlikely. But that wouldn't really matter to Orks. You can always add more guns to just about any vehicle, and leave the other Necron weaponry there "just for show" or utilize it in a devious new weapon (barrels still operate as barrels but use different projectiles, etc).

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2012, 09:05:01 AM »
My big mek has built an anti-teleport/phase out device that projects a bubble like a KFF that disrupts long range travel - short distances are ok, (so coincidentally you won't ever see it working on the battlefield), but automatic recovery teleports are out. Everyone was skeptical, but his belief was strong, and lo-and-behold, it stopped necron tech disappearing.

Therefore, we can sell you the technology for a Battlewagon full of teef, and you can loot to your heart's content . . . just remember you owe us come the next big waaagh!

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline NecronCell2131

• KoN Veteran
  • Mindshackle Scarabs Abuser
  • Armies: Necrons, Vampire counts
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 02:36:22 AM »
 Sorry to resurrect this thread but i found something that may help in our codex.

Page 24 bottom right hand of the page. The end of Waaagh Eadcrumpa story should explain how orks could use necron vehicles, but i still believe that hand held weapons wont work as of the older fluffs explanation on that issue.
My Tesseract Labyrinth Collection:
 1xDreadknight
 Enemies Doored by Monolith:
 1xBlack templars dreadnought,1xChaos lord,1xEmperors champion,1xDante,1xBelial,4xMelta guns that failed to kill it,1xWolf lord,1xStraken